FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Personal appeals from prolific Wikipedians -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Personal appeals from prolific Wikipedians, New Jersey High Schools
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

I suppose we have all noticed the new fundraiser today. Random pictures of people claiming to have generated lots of valuable yet free content. For example Alan Sohn – user:Alansohn – who says “On Wikipedia, I’ve created 2,463 articles. All of them for free. “

Great stuff, Alan, your most significant contribution seems to be ‘List of people from Teaneck, New Jersey’, 68 edits, but I couldn’t be bothered to check any further back than this year. Nearly all of your 2,463 articles are about High Schools in New Jersey. This does not persuade me to part any of my hard-earned cash to WMF, particularly not if I have to divert it from my current financial support of institutions like the Warburg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warburg_Institute . Interesting that the Warburg article is far smaller than any of the voluminous articles about New Jersey schools.

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 8,716

And here's another one . I think whoever chose the "I've created X articles" approach has made a fundamental mistake; just makes the editors look smug.

I notice as well that they're all being called authors, not editors. Significant?

This post has been edited by Malleus:
+Quote Post
that one guy

Doesn't get it either.

Member No.: 5,935

Can we have one saying "I deleted X articles" or "I blocked Y users"?
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

Or I OWN x articles?
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

Can't they pay for their own entertainment?
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 8th November 2011, 5:40pm) *

And here's another one . I think whoever chose the "I've created X articles" approach has made a fundamental mistake; just makes the editors look smug.

I notice as well that they're all being called authors, not editors. Significant?

Were you not asked, Malleus? You seem to have written more than that useless lot.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 8th November 2011, 12:40pm) *

Roger sounds like he was a real party animal as a kid:

When I was a child I read a book about a detective, it may have been Sherlock Holmes, who'd find answers to his problems in his "Index", a card index where he collected all the information he'd ever need.

The idea inspired me. I spent many hours cutting up old books and my sister's "look and learn" comics to create my own version of “The Index”. I must have made thousands of cards, and arranged them all alphabetically so that I could know everything. But the problem was cross-referencing all the articles. So I gave up. I threw the last six or seven feet of it away a few years ago.

+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th November 2011, 2:56pm) *

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 8th November 2011, 12:40pm) *

Roger sounds like he was a real party animal as a kid:

When I was a child I read a book about a detective, it may have been Sherlock Holmes, who'd find answers to his problems in his "Index", a card index where he collected all the information he'd ever need.

The idea inspired me. I spent many hours cutting up old books and my sister's "look and learn" comics to create my own version of “The Index”. I must have made thousands of cards, and arranged them all alphabetically so that I could know everything. But the problem was cross-referencing all the articles. So I gave up. I threw the last six or seven feet of it away a few years ago.

Roger has never seen a library catalog before? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 8th November 2011, 12:14pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th November 2011, 2:56pm) *

Roger has never seen a library catalog before? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

He's bragging that he's OCD. Only a Wikipedian would do that (or a hacker).
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 8th November 2011, 7:55pm) *

Were you not asked, Malleus? You seem to have written more than that useless lot.

I was eventually asked after I took the piss about not being asked, but of course I refused, as the WMF and I see eye-to-eye about very little. Here's a link.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 8th November 2011, 6:40pm) *

I was eventually asked after I took the piss about not being asked, but of course I refused, as the WMF and I see eye-to-eye about very little. Here's a link.

I wish I was asked.

"Here is a testimonial from a user that created multiple Featured Articles after being banned." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

I would've liked to seen the "A Personal appeal from an editor who's driven 5,784 other editors off of Wikipedia"
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

Where can you claim compensation for them having wasted your time in reading the drivel?
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 8th November 2011, 11:40pm) *

That's a great thread.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 9th November 2011, 12:31am) *

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 8th November 2011, 11:40pm) *

That's a great thread.

Yeah, but I still think Malleus is a supermasochist.

And the more I think of it, The Young Ones seems to be the perfect Wikipedia sitcom.
It's crude, filthy, disgusting, hostile, trollish, insane, and ultimately worthless.
This could be an Arbcom get-together.
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

Here's an odd character.

I feel like I’m living the first line of my obituary.

You can't see his photo on that page, but when it pops up at Wikipedia, he looks like he works part-time at a meth lab.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 9th November 2011, 7:21am) *

I would've liked to seen the "A Personal appeal from an editor who's driven 5,784 other editors off of Wikipedia"

As I said, I refused. And it's 5,785 if you don't mind.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Thu 10th November 2011, 1:51pm) *
Here's an odd character.
You can't see his photo on that page, but when it pops up at Wikipedia, he looks like he works part-time at a meth lab.
The rest of that paragraph.
I don’t think there will be anything else that I do in my life as important as what I do now for Wikipedia. We’re not just building an encyclopedia, we’re working to make people free. When we have access to free knowledge, we are better people. We understand the world is bigger than us, and we become infected with tolerance and understanding.
It follows, then, that those who are banned have been working to make people slaves, to oppress them, to deprive them of "free knowledge," to ban them, uh .... never mind, strike "ban." What was I saying? Ah, yes, Wikipedia is the embodiment of all Truth and Goodness, send usyour money.

Give a man a fish, he's fed for one day. Teach him to fish, he's fed for life. Give him "free knowledge," he's, he's, he's ...

Addicted to editing Wikipedia.

Knowledge is never free. Acquiring it takes experience, work, and courage. Sometimes even money. If one needs a taste of knowledge, a hint, one can sometimes find it at Wikipedia. Real knowledge, the kind that actually does make people free, cannot be found on Wikipedia, what remained of it has mostly been deleted or revised literally to death. Used to be you could find links to truly useful web sites on Wikipedia. Gone, for the most part, for this or that "reason." "Site has advertising on it, remove as spam." "Site advocates a point of view."

(people who have knowledge advocate the points of view developed through the knowledge, so of course they advocate it.)

(Those, by the way, were made-up standards, but are based on real situations that actually damaged the project because an admin enforced the idea.)
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Thu 10th November 2011, 6:51pm) *

Here's an odd character.

According to Matthew from the WMF, Brandon Harris' banner is apparently doing the best of all of them.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Sat 12th November 2011, 11:16am) *

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Thu 10th November 2011, 6:51pm) *

Here's an odd character.

According to Matthew from the WMF, Brandon Harris' banner is apparently doing the best of all of them.

His is only the second scariest one. I find that amusing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)