FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Gerard takes on JSTOR -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Gerard takes on JSTOR, purt'near calls them liars
thekohser

Group: Regulars

David Gerard assesses JSTOR as a "problem that needs dealing with", and he goes on to ponder ways by which the entire "proprietary journal system" could be brought to its knees.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

I still think of the academic publishing industry as worse than the music industry in terms of the money going to people other than those who actually create the works being consumed, and the music industry is pretty bad in this regard: only a small percentage of the cost of a record/CD/MP3 purchased legally goes to actual musicians or songwriters, with most going to management and marketing types. These industries all have in common archaic business models built up in the days when bulky physical objects had to be manufactured and distributed, necessitating all sorts of expensive infrastructure that isn't needed nowadays for electronic distribution. It's notably primarily people connected with this management/marketing/corporate end who are shouting the loudest for draconian protection of intellectual property, supposedly for the sake of the poor starving artists, though they sometimes take such positions over the objection of artists themselves.

The still-useful role of gatekeepers to filter information and distinguish a crank's blog and a garage band's noise from the "good stuff" (however this may be defined) needs to somehow be recreated in the modern world; exactly what form this will take is yet to be determined, but hopefully it won't sap up nearly as much of the resources that go into the industry compared to the writers/artists/performers/researchers themselves.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(dtobias @ Wed 20th July 2011, 1:13pm) *

I still think of the academic publishing industry as worse than the music industry in terms of the money going to people other than those who actually create the works being consumed

How much money do you think is left over after all the printing costs? You forgot that the market is really low. A musician sells to millions of people. An academic might have an audience of 1,000 if they are lucky.

There isn't some corporate fatcat who is running everything in these presses. Most of the editors and the ones publishing -are- the same academics who contributed before. There is very little money in academic publishing at any end. They are barely making ends meet now, and removing things like JSTOR would bankrupt them completely.

Milton: "Editorial and layup work is legitimate, but what fraction of the budget goes for that? It's very hard to find out."

Actually, it isn't. Many Academic Universities have publishing houses. Many are public universities. Their expenses are public record. You can find out just how much the people are being paid. I know that the CUA press makes very little, and every one of the staff has a secondary job at the school. You have to remember, for every Oxford University Press there are 10,000 much smaller groups that had to downsize a lot. Even Oxford has taken a big hit.

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 20th July 2011, 2:25pm) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Wed 20th July 2011, 1:13pm) *

I still think of the academic publishing industry as worse than the music industry in terms of the money going to people other than those who actually create the works being consumed

How much money do you think is left over after all the printing costs? You forgot that the market is really low. A musician sells to millions of people. An academic might have an audience of 1,000 if they are lucky.

There isn't some corporate fatcat who is running everything in these presses. Most of the editors and the ones publishing -are- the same academics who contributed before. There is very little money in academic publishing at any end. They are barely making ends meet now, and removing things like JSTOR would bankrupt them completely.

Milton: "Editorial and layup work is legitimate, but what fraction of the budget goes for that? It's very hard to find out."

Actually, it isn't. Many Academic Universities have publishing houses. Many are public universities. Their expenses are public record. You can find out just how much the people are being paid. I know that the CUA press makes very little, and every one of the staff has a secondary job at the school. You have to remember, for every Oxford University Press there are 10,000 much smaller groups that had to downsize a lot. Even Oxford has taken a big hit.

He's not saying the editors make money - usually they don't make any. He's saying the publisher makes money. And it's not true that "there is very little money in academic publishing at any end" (though I guess it depends on your definition of "very little"). While there aren't millions of fans who snatch up the individual issues, institutional sales (libraries etc). can bring in some nice dough.

And there have been cases of academic organizations "rebelling" against money-grubbing publishers. Can't remember off the top of my head but IIRC Elsevier had some problems with uppity academics once or twice.

As far as JSTOR goes, I don't think they're part of the problem. If you're an academic you get access to it for free anyway - and you're the intended audience. It's really the interested amateur that gets screwed but there's honestly not that many of those, and they can always take a trip to the library.

But Milton's also right about lack of competition in the journal publishing industry - though it's more of a oligopoly than a monopoly. And dtobias is right that to some extent these companies are following an outdated business model based on shipping thick paper books. But in the end the way it shows up is just in the utterly stupefying inefficiency of the acceptance-publication process (better in some areas than others). In some disciplines it's considered "amateurish" to even inquire about what's going on with your submission before nine months - nine fucking months - have passed. This has further implications - tenure becomes a lot more uncertain; even if you've submitted quite a bit, the roulette wheel is not going to be spun until two years later or something, so who the hell knows how you'll come out when that clock gets close to midnight.

(Edit: not to mention that getting a revise/resubmit two years after you wrote something is something of a joke - who can remember what they were thinking exactly two years ago?)

This post has been edited by radek:
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
thekohser   Gerard takes on JSTOR  
lilburne   David Gerard assesses JSTOR as a "problem th...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='thekohser' post='280709' date='Wed 2...  
thekohser   I wonder (not for the first time) what the hell i...  
Milton Roe   I wonder (not for the first time) what the hell ...  
Sololol   Too long has the world suffered under the tyranny ...  
Ottava   David Gerard assesses JSTOR as a "problem th...  
Text   More gleeful dancing on the skulls? :P  
dtobias   It's not actually the academics being opposed ...  
thekohser   ...academics don't actually get paid (in gene...  
Ottava   It's not actually the academics being opposed...  
Milton Roe   Look at the journal Nature vs some kid's blog...  
Ottava   He's not saying the editors make money - usua...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='radek' post='280785' date='Thu 21st ...  
Ottava   The closest to scientific publishing Hollywood w...  
Milton Roe   I'm a tad confused as to why you think Academ...  
Ottava   There is money to be made at the high end, and E...  
SpiderAndWeb   Most academics I know publish copies of their pape...  
thekohser   Most academics I know publish copies of their pap...  
Detective   Would you be willing to go so far as to say David...  
Milton Roe   Most academics I know publish copies of their pap...  
Abd   Most academics I know publish copies of their pape...  
SpiderAndWeb   Most academics I know publish copies of their pa...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='280808' date='Thu ...  
Ottava   u the numbers, more than you'll ever see in y...  
radek   Ugh, I got to respond to some of this. Don...  
radek   He's not saying the editors make money - usu...  
Ottava   It's probably true that most publishers don...  
radek   Does the Keats-Shelley journal appear on JSTOR? ...  
Ottava   Does the Keats-Shelley journal appear on JSTOR?...  
thekohser   Somey, it is obvious that Radek is trolling. Can ...  
The Joy   Somey, it is obvious that Radek is trolling. Can...  
Somey   [quote name='thekohser' post='280861' date='Fri 22...  
EricBarbour   So we can only hope that in this case, it's ju...  
Vigilant   Does the Keats-Shelley journal appear on JSTOR...  
Somey   ...These industries all have in common archaic bus...  
EricBarbour   :rolleyes:  
Ottava   Most journals in the humanities do not own the cop...  
Abd   DO NOT FEED THE OTTAVA  
NuclearWarfare   Abd, I just logged onto JSTOR from home, and I hav...  
radek   Abd, I just logged onto JSTOR from home, and I ha...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)