FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Help for how to use the forums -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help for how to use the forums, What goes where
blissyu2

the wookie

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 5

I think that things are going great here with the new forums and it helps to put things in to the right place, which addresses one of the big problems with the old proboards forum (actually, many problems associated with it as well). But perhaps people are confused how to use them. Perhaps each forum should have a little post pinned at the top for what belongs in each board, and then we can keep them pretty much on track. And of course if we have a lot of things that don't really belong in any existing board then maybe we should make a new board. I've been to places with 50 boards and they worked fine. As long as its not confusing. But we probably shouldn't make too many though.

Anyway, so here is how I see the current forums:

Forum information - this is for talking about how to use the forum, announcements, and so forth. This is as opposed to Wikipedia Review Review which is for criticism of this forum. As well as making announcements, its also for asking how things work, and discussing changes to policy of this board (hence perhaps it should be next to Wikipedia Review Review - perhaps overall under the heading "About this board"?)

Wikipedia discussion - the main part of the board, for all things Wikipedia. Perhaps in time split it up in to sub boards if we get enough users - like news articles and external criticisms (including blogs). Could also perhaps separate criticisms about articles, macro criticisms about general issues (such as userbox disputes) and then about users (bans, corruption, etc). But since its currently quite small, keep it all together. And maybe have that as a sub board within it.

Beyond Wikimedia - I personally prefer this title to "Anti Wikimedia" but its a good topic. Its quite obvious what this is for - its for other options - Wikinfo, book encyclopaedias, going back to google searches, Digital Universe, and anything else that's not using Wikipedia at all.

The lounge - No topics here should have anything to do with Wikipedia. So this is where you talk about your cat, your boyfriend/girlfriend, something you saw on TV, and so forth.

Waste of space - If you are going to be stupid, then do it here. Its not so much for flaming as just being silly.

Tar pit and feather barrel - The flame board. Anything that might be attacking other users of the board, or designed to attack, or you think might lead to attacks.

Wikipedia Review Review - For people who think that this board, i.e. Wikipedia Review, is less than perfect. Ways to improve it, or just to bash it, all belong here. About half of the posts on the old ProBoards forum would have ended up here.

Archives - Obviously for posts transferred from the old ProBoards board.

Just a thing though - The lounge, waste of space and Tar pit and feather barrel are all off topic and hence could be grouped together. While both Wikipedia Review Review and Forum information are about this board itself, so could be grouped together. So then we'd be left with Wikipedia discussion and Beyond Wikimedia (and perhaps Archives as well) in the main Criticising Wikipedia section.

Does that sound right?

Anyway its looking good, and every day I come here to have a peek it looks better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
blissyu2

the wookie

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 5

Oh right. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to impose. But do you agree with the categories, so that it's perhaps a bit more logical? Like Forum Information grouped with Wikipedia Review Review since they are both "meta" i.e. both about this board itself.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)