FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
JoshuaZ goes after Boothroyd BLP -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> JoshuaZ goes after Boothroyd BLP, Plots new bio in user
Kato

dhd

Group: Regulars

Arch BLP extremist and Prosecutor Horriblus JoshuaZ has been working on a new article on David Boothroyd in his user space. Boothroyd is the guy who ditched his real name account after a kerfuffle in 2007, got another account with a fake name and rose to Arbcom with that other account.

Boothroyd requested to delete the non-notable biography years ago to no avail. There was a flurry of deletes when the story broke of Boothroyd's antics recently, and now JoshuaZ is turning the screws in the only way he knows how.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JoshuaZ/David_Boothroyd

JoshuaZ's version was 4th in the Google search the last time I looked.

The more I ponder this Boothroyd case, the more sympathy I have for him. Other than being a bit of an asshole, and then being a representative of Wikipedia by sitting on the dreaded Arbcom, DB hasn't done a whole lot wrong. The media who blew up the political storm have exaggerated his crimes not to expose WP, but to score political points in what is all out media / political war in the UK at present. And righteous Wikipedios who bleat about his naughty sockpuppeteering don't have a leg to stand on. Breaking Wikipedia's lame gaming laws is hardly an offence after all. JoshuaZ should know, he was caught at it as well.

And in the end, if a barely notable figure like Boothroyd wants to OPT-OUT, (who lets face it edited WP for years using his real name before anyone gave a crap) then he should be granted his wish. JoshuaZ be damned. Again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

This should help with the google problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=295440026
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 9th June 2009, 6:04pm) *

And in the end, if a barely notable figure like Boothroyd wants to OPT-OUT, (who lets face it edited WP for years using his real name before anyone gave a crap) then he should be granted his wish. JoshuaZ be damned. Again.

Yes, for just about everybody BUT people contributing to the horrid WP BLP process in the first place. Boothroyd, PLEASE REMEMBER, very nearly does BLP for a living. And not just on people who want them. Almost none of them notable enough to make it into a paper general encyclopedia. And he altered the BLPs of at least one person in an opposing parties that he thought had been unfairly promoted by their, well, promoters. He's given NO sign at all as an admin that he supports the "opt out" policy for others, that he now would seeks to implement permanently for himself.

Tough, Boothroyd. I actually have less sympathy for the celebrity-seekers who find themselves on WP, than I do for him. He helped make it possible for more people-- small time politicians and candidates only recognizable locally, to suffer on the world stage. And now, with his own exposure, he recognizes that this is NO FUN. But it (so far as I can tell) has TOUGHT HIM NOTHING. We have not had a shred of self-insight from him, on WP or anywhere else.

I'm not gunna forgive him until he shows signs of learning something from this. Meanwhile, he's Zelinski's pet in a glass jar. An exquisitely just and perfect place for him.
+Quote Post
Daniel

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 4,657

For all those who come to this thread and are unsure what the original poster is referring to with regards to Zelinsky's history with BLP, see http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=15878 . Even now, it is a fascinating read.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

JoshuaZ specializes in petitioning to keep borderline notable BLPs against a subject's request. It is an angry obsession, it seems. And he'll go as far as to create sockpuppets to do it, if necessary.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 10th June 2009, 1:18am) *
And he altered the BLPs of at least one person in an opposing parties that he thought had been unfairly promoted by their, well, promoters.

Is this something else, or did you swallow the line the conservative papers are pushing about him reverting the photo on the David Cameron article?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Random832 @ Tue 9th June 2009, 7:44pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 10th June 2009, 1:18am) *
And he altered the BLPs of at least one person in an opposing parties that he thought had been unfairly promoted by their, well, promoters.

Is this something else, or did you swallow the line the conservative papers are pushing about him reverting the photo on the David Cameron article?

That wasn't true? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

He has made more edits on the David Cameron article than just about anybody else has (I think he's #2 or #3 editor). Are you saying he worked hard to make the thing more fair in all of that?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

"In 2007, he was elected to the Arbitration Committee, a body within the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, that settles editorial disputes and is the highest level of dispute resolution on Wikipedia."

I clicked off following that sentence. Lord, what awful writing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif)
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 10th June 2009, 2:55am) *
QUOTE(Random832 @ Tue 9th June 2009, 7:44pm) *
That wasn't true? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

The photo that was removed was a ridiculous-looking (and probably photoshopped, and a copyright violation anyway) one with him backlit to look like he had a halo (and even without that it was an unflattering picture), it did not belong in any encyclopedia. I suspect none of the papers have even SEEN the picture - which in an ideal world would mean they don't publish about it without checking their facts, but instead they draw their own conclusions about what the edit summary means.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

It seems to me that what this proves, or should prove to other Wikipedia users, is that JoshuaZ knows perfectly well that a Wikipedia BLP article can be used as a form of punishment against another person, almost like a public stoning, at least once someone like him (JoshuaZ) takes an interest in it. And that this is why he does what he does.

We've known that all along, of course, and we knew JoshuaZ has been lying about his true motivations since the beginning, but I can't imagine even the most starry-eyed WP'er not also knowing it after looking at this situation.

I'd say the more germane JoshuaZ thread on WR in this instance would be this one, since it attempts to provide a deeper insight into his twisted mentality. Very scary person, though I'm sure if you met him in real life, you wouldn't even notice him if he came up and tried to slap you.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

I don't think he's "scary". Just an annoying twit with an inferiority complex.
He won't slap you.....or anyone.

However, he's another handy example of the hypocrisy of WP "governance".

He was caught socking --- in an extremely nasty manner.

Yet he, being an longstanding admin, was NOT BANNED.
Why was he not banned?
Because they love him, and think he's cute??

Many other people have been banned for far, far less.

The problem is not Josh Zelinsky being a little shit,
the problem is that Wikipedia extends to him special treatment.
+Quote Post
cyofee

The better question is why his socks aren't tagged as such. Someone tried to add them some time ago, but they were reverted and banned.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

As above, so below.

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 10th June 2009, 12:12am) *
It seems to me that what this proves, or should prove to other Wikipedia users, is that JoshuaZ knows perfectly well that a Wikipedia BLP article can be used as a form of punishment against another person, almost like a public stoning, at least once someone like him (JoshuaZ) takes an interest in it. And that this is why he does what he does.

The trope of public stoning pervades Wikiculture, but only because it pervades all of human society.

We live in an authoritarian, fear-oriented, control-oriented, punishment-oriented police culture. Problematic features of that culture appear in all online communities, including Wikipedia.

In the early days of the Internet, there was some glimmer of hope that the pioneers of cyberspace might evolve beyond that problematic culture to something more enlightened and more functional.

It almost happened.

But then the same socio-cultural disease that has long plagued human political culture infected cyberspace as well.

Pity.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

See here.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE("joe")
I do know that at least one editor subsequently sought to ban JoshuaZ from editing BLPs—apparently being consistently a moderate voice on BLP is a bad thing

moderate?
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 12th June 2009, 10:13pm) *

So JZ hits up Rooty about Arby pressure.

JZ backpedals from Rooty's spotlight of integrity, the Arby just chill and watch da fun.

+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(RMHED @ Fri 12th June 2009, 4:20pm) *
So JZ hits up Rooty about Arby pressure. ... JZ backpedals from Rooty's spotlight of integrity, the Arby just chill and watch da fun.

If I might dare to summarize this particular fiasco, what seems to have happened is that our very own John "Jayvdb" Vandenberg rather inadvisedly asked JoshuaZ to "wrap it up" with respect to his user-space version of the All-New, Extra-Special David Boothroyd BLP Article™ (featuring Wikipedian Navel-Gazing of the worst kind) prior to JoshuaZ's own "desysop appeal" in the next week or so. Meanwhile, Mr. Boothroyd is about to nominate himself for adminship again - that's right - he doesn't believe that his activities should have warranted the loss of his administrative privileges, and of course JoshuaZ has been using various flimsy excuses to protest his "innocence" for quite some time. There's a reasonably good chance that neither of them will succeed, though of course we must never underestimate the Wikipedian tendency to ignore reality. As for rationale, Mr. Vandenberg apparently believed that editing of the page in question would result in "increased drama." Oooh, can't have that! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Faced with this terrible pressure, ol' Joshy for some reason decided to ask Rootology (T-C-L-K-R-D) of all people for assistance in "cleaning up" the article before the "deadline." Since that's probably the last person he logically should have asked, we can only assume that JoshuaZ has now either gone completely insane, or is simply laughing uproariously at the rest of us while he makes a mockery of everything civilization holds dear.

Indeed, one of Joshy's reasons for asking Rootology for help was that he "doesn't have library access this week." What the HELL does that mean? He was actually going to look up info about Boothroyd in a library (hint: he wouldn't have found anything whatsoever) and, failing that, would have simply thrown up his hands and... done what, exactly? Perhaps hired a paid editing service? Or does this mean JoshuaZ doesn't have internet access in his apartment, or dorm room, or whatever sort of place he lives in, and therefore has to bring his Wi-Fi enabled laptop to a nearby library, which he doesn't have access to this specific week, conveniently ignoring the existence of hundreds of other internet-enabled hotspots in the New Haven, CT area or wherever the heck he is these days?

This strikes me as yet another one of Josh's really wierd excuses, though not quite as lame as the now-famous "rootkit" story.

Meanwhile, the Boothroyd article has been "whipped into shape" (i.e., made a real hatchet-job) by ChildOfMidnight (T-C-L-K-R-D) , whose antipathy towards Boothroyd seems nearly boundless. Hey, great chance to get those digs in! Revenge never tasted so sweet, particularly now that they've started adding all that high-fructose corn syrup to the formula.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Ugh this is complete shite especially the bit here

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...18863#Wikipedia (permalink)

If 'recentism' is placing undue emphasis on things that happened very recently, what is the name for placing undue emphasis on things that happen on Wikipedia and which no one else gives a f--- about?

Wikipedia
Using the name Sam Blacketer as an anonymous identity, Boothroyd was elected to the English Wikipedia's arbitration committee in 2007, the highest level of dispute resolution on the site.[1] He received multiple awards for his extensive contrbutions.[19]

In May 2009, Boothroyd's use of multiple accounts including Sam Blacketer was uncovered and connected with edits to David Cameron, leader of the Labour Party's rival Conservative Party.[1] Boothroyd's edits included an adjustment to the description of the Conservative Party's lead in opinion polls over the Labour Party.[20] He said "I have never written to self-serve," but admitted he was in the wrong, saying he created other identities after his political allegiance had been discovered. His edits were described by the The Daily Mail as "not inaccurate or overtly critical" but as including many that were unfavourable.[20] The paper described the incident as an embarrassment for the Labour Party, and "another blow for the hugely popular website, which has tried to stamp out malicious tampering."[20]

(Scream)

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 11,945

Why is there this ridiculous desperation to keep an article on Boothroyd? Really, why? I don't understand this hardcore inclusionism, where every person who ever lived who happened to get mentioned in a news story somewhere MUST have an article. Can't they spend their time doing something else?

Someone should create an article on JoshuaZ, he's probably more notable than Boothroyd! (Though that would be fairly hypocritical).
+Quote Post
thekohser

The Wikipedians have successfully wiped the embarrassing version of Boothroyd from their encyclopedia, even though it was "just fine" for years before they realized that "Sam Blacketer" wasn't such a good parrot after all.

I guess now if people want to learn about Sam Blacketer, they will have to go to some other Sam Blacketer article for information.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)