FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Pseudonymous writing and ethics -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Pseudonymous writing and ethics, they're not chalk and cheese
privatemusings

Group: Contributors

A post from Doc G in another thread has prompted this thread - but it's also stuff that I've been chewing over for a while, particularly following the launch of the excellent akahele.com (well done, and great stuff to all involved) - Doc said "Hiding behind a pseudonym, whilst commenting on real identifiable people, is cowardly and deplorable." - a view echoed on akahele - "When people hide behind anonymous identifiers or phony pseudonyms, trust breaks down."

I just wanted to mention (as an pseudonymous person!) that I kinda hope that pseudonymous writing and good ethics / value / humour / quality aren't fundamentally in tension, rather that they will just tend to lead to the whole slew of problems well documented already.

In particular, I thought I'd mention the example of 'Private Eye' - a british institution and fantastic magazine which doesn't generally do 'bylines' (with notable exceptions) - contributors make up silly names and write their stuff... sound familiar?

The fundamental difference of course is that Private Eye is 'published' - and as such is regularly in and out of the courts, with varying degrees of success. The important point is that they manage very successfully to continue to publish, and even though they fairly regularly make mistakes / cross lines and have to pay damages, they're more often 'right' in some sense or other.....

So if one allows that pseudonymous contribution can be valuable - where does 'responsibility' come in? - On the part of the publisher, I guess - and it's the absence of such which I reckon is of higher importance than the identity of author thing.

The more you think about it, the odder it seems that publication wouldn't be a stated goal of a foundation seeking to share the sum of human knowledge. If the tool requires 'self-publication' (which is how I'd describe wikipedia?) - then that's where identification is required - fundamentally because the buck stopping somewhere is a good thing, and should be supported - I don't think many would disagree?

This post has been edited by privatemusings:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Jon Awbrey   The more you think about it, the odder it seems t...  
Guido den Broeder   I'd say that when your edits affect living peo...  
Jon Awbrey   I'd say that when your edits affect living pe...  
Moulton   Yes, I feel it is OK for Nicolas Bourbaki to edit ...  
Jon Awbrey   Yes, I feel it is OK for Nicolas Bourbaki to edit...  
Luís Henrique   Real Mathematicians Don't Eat Bourbaquiche. ...  
dtobias   stuff that I've been chewing over for a while...  
Bottled_Spider   [quote name='privatemusings' post='160225' date='S...  
Moulton   NPR Morning Edition: Health & Science [url=ht...  
Jon Awbrey   NPR Morning Edition: Health & Science [url=h...  
Doc glasgow   I think I said all I need to on this issue when I ...  
Hell Freezes Over   I think I said all I need to on this issue when I...  
Doc glasgow   [quote name='Doc glasgow' post='160423' date='Tue...  
Hell Freezes Over   No doubt I've typed things in IRC I ought to ...  
Kato   I'm not convinced that requiring real names w...  
EricBarbour   You wrote earlier that attacking living people wh...  
Hell Freezes Over   That's simply not true. The identities of man...  
Doc glasgow   I think if someone is going to take a very hard l...  
EricBarbour   Indeed, I've never commented on you at all, me...  
Jon Awbrey   In the Real World, a pseudonym is just a token tha...  
privatemusings   In the Real World, a pseudonym is just a token th...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160473' date='Tue ...  
Bottled_Spider   ps. as far as Private Eye is concerned ........ (t...  
dogbiscuit   Moderator note: personal spat split here as per Jo...  
Proabivouac   [i]Moderator note: personal spat split [url=http:...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)