FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikipedia check book balanced by convicted felon - Register -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wikipedia check book balanced by convicted felon - Register
Newsfeed

Postmaster General

Group: Bots

Wikipedia check book balanced by convicted felon
Register, UK -19 minutes ago
By Cade Metz in San Francisco → More by this author Exclusive For more than six months, beginning in January of this year, Wikipedia's million-dollar check ...

View the article
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

More unfavorable reporting by Cade Metz. They prolly hate this guy bigtime by now.
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

Group: On Vacation

Woops
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(jorge @ Thu 13th December 2007, 6:53pm) *

Woops

Wow. I think that might to go down as an audit exception under "verification and financial controls." Godwin's response is shoving his index fingers in his ear and yelling "lah, lah, lah...I can't hear you." Unless Metz has made a serious factual error, which does not seem like his style, Godwin's response is only going to indicate a lack of due diligence and make him a target for the larger press.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

This has got to be a nightmare for Godwin, defending Wikimedia after spending all those years at the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

It would be like leaving the American Civil Liberties Union to take a job at the CIA.
+Quote Post
Alkivar

5$ says someone will be suing that temp agency for them sending Carolyn to WMF in the first place...

we know pass the buck is par for the course.

DUI x4
Check Fraud
Petty Larceny x2
Assault with a deadly weapon
Manslaughter
Probation violations including leaving the country

but seriously... she was in THE WASHINGTON POST for shooting her boyfriend...
she wont even pass a google test, let alone a background check...
so its clear one was never performed.

hell i'm no angel (i've got a felony conviction)...

but i'm also not handling the books for around $400,000 for my profession...

this wont be blowing over anytime soon.

PS digg this up: http://digg.com/world_news/Wikipedia_COO_was_convicted_felon

This post has been edited by Alkivar:
+Quote Post
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

Banned users may not edit. Their only alternative is to use OTRS. They should first forward a fifth of expensive bourbon to the Office, along with $100 cash for cab fares home, or their request will not be considered. In fact, it most likely won't be considered even after they do this.

San Francisco is going to be fun...

I found both of these by searching for "carolyn bothwell" in Google. If you knew her age and that she lived in Virginia at the time, it would have been a no-brainer to discover this through due diligence. There are only 21 hits total in Google if the name is inside quotation marks.

http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opncavtx/0864964.txt
Carolyn Bothwell, a friend of Hall's, assisted the police investigation by wearing a concealed recording device on six different occasions in a futile attempt to obtain incriminating statements from appellant. Bothwell testified that she, already a convicted felon, was the target of a felony prosecution in Loudoun County at the time of appellant's trial but that her case had been continued. She further testified that she had reached no agreement with the Loudoun County prosecutor's office regarding the effect her cooperation in appellant's case might have on her own prosecution.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1111959.html
Va. Shooting Case Typifies Domestic Violence Cycle
The Washington Post, February 22, 1990
by DeNeen L. Brown

As he lay in bed in their Herndon town house, she walked up to him, stood no more than three feet away, pointed a .357 magnum at him and pulled the trigger, according to court testimony.

The bullet cut through his chest and his back, lodging in a pillow. "I damn near died," Philip L. Brown, 47, said in an interview yesterday about the Aug. 25 shooting. "They flew me code blue to the trauma center."

Carolyn Bothwell, 27, his girlfriend of eight years, was charged with malicious wounding and use of a firearm. A day after she was indicted, Brown wrote a letter to Assistant Commonwealth's ...

The question is, "Why does The Register have to do this, and will it now be considered a BADSITE by Wikipedia?"

Is it "wikistalking" or is it "due diligence"? Only your unfriendly cabalist knows for sure, and he won't tell you.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Note that in this note from Flo-Flo (who is living in my house, recall), it's obvious she knew what was going on. And, in the final paragraph, she segues into a discussion of replacing the Treasurer, Michael E. Davis.

I will be releasing a blog post soon, with a detailed analysis of his own history in court (including a contempt of court charge). The facts do not portray Davis in a good light. It won't stack up to this new Register piece, but it will be another nail in the coffin of Wikimedia Foundation leadership.

Greg

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
Saltimbanco

Who watches the watchmen?

Well, I hope Ms. Doran can get her life together.

Has Jimbo Wales ever done anything to suggest that he might be a good judge of character? Ever?
+Quote Post
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

QUOTE(Saltimbanco @ Thu 13th December 2007, 8:04pm) *

Well, I hope Ms. Doran can get her life together.

Has Jimbo Wales ever done anything to suggest that he might be a good judge of character? Ever?

Sure he has. Look at these four two characters.
(IMG:http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/gifs/jimbo3.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th December 2007, 8:56pm) *

Note that in this note from Flo-Flo (who is living in my house, recall), it's obvious she knew what was going on. And, in the final paragraph, she segues into a discussion of replacing the Treasurer, Michael E. Davis.

I will be releasing a blog post soon, with a detailed analysis of his own history in court (including a contempt of court charge). The facts do not portray Davis in a good light. It won't stack up to this new Register piece, but it will be another nail in the coffin of Wikimedia Foundation leadership.

Greg

It seems likely from the wikien-l post that Flo knew. So the question is: Did they not tell Godwin or did he lie to Metz? Either way it is interesting and implication laden.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Wait a minute. Read this.

Am I correctly reading that Carolyn Bothwell shot her boyfriend in the chest in 1990, then in 1999 her husband drowned in the Cayman Islands while on their honeymoon?

Not trying to play forensic psychologist here -- I'm just confirming that these two points are facts?

Greg
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Godwin also said that he and the Foundation are still unaware of Doran's criminal record: "We've never had any documentation of any criminal record on Carolyn Doran's part at all", he told us. "As far as I'm concerned, I have no direct knowledge of [her criminal record] yet … We have, in our records, no evidence of any such thing."

I'm guessing it was just an oversight.

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th December 2007, 8:51pm) *

Wait a minute. Read this.

Am I correctly reading that Carolyn Bothwell shot her boyfriend in the chest in 1990, then in 1999 her husband drowned in the Cayman Islands while on their honeymoon?

Not trying to play forensic psychologist here -- I'm just confirming that these two points are facts?

Greg

Yes, it looks like the same Carolyn. The Washington Times snippet right below that one in your Google search says, "Doran is predeceased by his father, William T. Doran. He is survived by his wife, Carolyn, and a stepson, Philip Bothwell, both of Potomac Falls; ... " The Post piece linked in the Register article says, "She said she did not want to risk losing custody of her 3-year-old son." So if the Carolyn we're talking about has a son named Philip Bothwell, now about 21 years old, then it must be the same one. Potomac Falls MD is only about 15 miles from Herndon VA, and the time difference is nine years.

Oops, sorry, I'm wikistalking again... I'm a BADBOY.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Frankly, I doubt the Wikimedia Foundation would have cared if they had known that Doran was a convicted felon who had been involved in a shooting incident.

It just stands to reason that if you open up a website, along with the structures built to support it, to the entire world with no background checks, no verifiable identities, and no accountability, you're going to get some people with criminal records - along with a wide variety of other people with, shall we say, interesting stories.

And while I know full well that fetishism is no crime (in most states), let's not forget that the WMF's current spokesman, Cary "Bastique" Bass, is a former (or who knows, maybe current?) treasurer of the Southeast Conference of Clubs - or more specifically, Leather Clubs. Don't bother clicking on the link unless you're over 18!
+Quote Post
Aloft

Please stop trying to cause trouble!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th December 2007, 8:51pm) *
Someone email Durova. Sounds like we have a complex investigation on our hands.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Thu 13th December 2007, 7:47pm) *

By Cade Metz in San Francisco → More by this author Exclusive For more than six months, beginning in January of this year, Wikipedia's million-dollar check ...

View the article
Maybe this, as opposed to Essjay, was the reason Danny Wool and Brad Patrick left in such a hurry in March.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Caption Contest — We Have A Wiener !!!

Warning — The Attorney General has determined that AGF can be dangerous to your wealth.

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Saltimbanco

Who watches the watchmen?

I wonder what she brought to the table when she was interviewing?

[imgx]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Cd2.jpg[/imgx]

(Should this be merged with the JustTitsGuy list thread?)

(It would have been funnier had the image come up correctly. Try this link and imagine the timing and setup flowed better.)

(Fixed by Uncle Somey)

This post has been edited by Somey:
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Thu 13th December 2007, 10:27pm) *

QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Thu 13th December 2007, 7:47pm) *

View the article
Maybe this, as opposed to Essjay, was the reason Danny Wool and Brad Patrick left in such a hurry in March.

Maybe. She sounds pretty badassed. Maybe she scared them. So do you think they told Godwin and Gardner?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)