FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The circus hits town -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The circus hits town, arbcom 2009 here we go
privatemusings

Group: Contributors

So the nominations for the 2009 arbcom elections are open. In other news, the voting method, the no. of candidates being elected, and their terms are not yet established, so if you'd like to nominate yourself for an indeterminate amount of time, to be decided in an indeterminate way, to a committee of indeterminate no. roll up, roll up, roll up :-)

ps. I was feeling a bit amused by the above, and decided to withdraw (partly as an intensely thought through socio-political and philosophical comment on the elections and the process) - unfortunately it didn't stick. I'm not sure if that means I'm running or not.

This post has been edited by privatemusings:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 962

I don't think they were actually saying that you can't withdraw your candidacy, but only conditioning this upon your actually being a candidate to begin with.
+Quote Post
Wizardman

I promise not to run in this year's election.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Wizardman @ Tue 10th November 2009, 5:12am) *

No objections from me--I would not vote for the re-election of any sitting arbitrator due to the wrongful treatment I received at the hands of the ArbCom this year. But I would be interested to know what, if anything, you feel you've accomplished as an arbitrator?
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 10th November 2009, 4:20am) *

No objections from me--I would not vote for the re-election of any sitting arbitrator due to the wrongful treatment I received at the hands of the ArbCom this year. But I would be interested to know what, if anything, you feel you've accomplished as an arbitrator?

I think the ArbCom's performance this year was the best since the ArbCom was established. They've got a ways to go, but I think they made some progress.
+Quote Post
Wizardman

QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 9th November 2009, 11:20pm) *

Well, seeing as how my motions kept your restrictions from remaining indefinite and how I supported the complete lifting the second time through...

But it's obviously natural to be anti-arbcom when you've been sanctioned by them. As for accomplishments, my drafted cases were handled quick. No three month battlegrounds from this guy.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Wizardman @ Tue 10th November 2009, 4:40am) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 9th November 2009, 11:20pm) *

Well, seeing as how my motions kept your restrictions from remaining indefinite and how I supported the complete lifting the second time through...

But it's obviously natural to be anti-arbcom when you've been sanctioned by them. As for accomplishments, my drafted cases were handled quick. No three month battlegrounds from this guy.

Your speed in handling your cases was appreciated. One reason why you all need to create more sub-committees is to handle other matters so that you all can concentrate on cases.

By the way, I believe I'm under ArbCom sanction also, and it's similar to Everyking's. I'm ok with it, however.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Wizardman @ Tue 10th November 2009, 5:40am) *

True, I'd forgotten about that--a few arbitrators did vote to lift the sanctions, so in that respect I was too harsh. But when I was talking about accomplishments, I wasn't really talking about issues of speed and productivity. What I really meant was "how did you contribute to the development of the ArbCom's working philosophy and relationship with the community?" Do you think you facilitated the continuation of the status quo, or do you think the ArbCom has improved in some basic way through your contributions?

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 10th November 2009, 5:48am) *

By the way, I believe I'm under ArbCom sanction also, and it's similar to Everyking's. I'm ok with it, however.

You're an ArbCom-convicted stalker like me? In that case, I must say that it was highly irresponsible of the ArbCom to appoint you to its short-lived "Advisory Council"--after all, we stalkers are extremely dangerous people. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) Did they put you under Tony Sidaway's mentorship too? That's when you know they really like you!
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 10th November 2009, 3:25pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 10th November 2009, 4:20am) *

I think the ArbCom's performance this year was the best since the ArbCom was established. They've got a ways to go, but I think they made some progress.

Likewise. Big improvement.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(Viridae @ Mon 9th November 2009, 9:55pm) *

Right. A big improvement from "insanely inept well beyond any attempt at parody" to simply "incredibly slow-moving and dunderheaded, giving a bad connotation to the words 'abitration' and 'committee'". Also a big move from actively corrupt to merely incompetent.

You guys are like the child who sees a pile of crap under the tree on Christmas morning and assumes there must be a pony under there somewhere.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I guess the way I see it, the current ArbCom is an improvement on previous versions in so far as they seem to understand that the way to herd cats is not to simply stand somewhere and yell "heeere, kitty-kitty." They seem willing to at least try new approaches, though I don't think we can say that they've found one that works yet.

Logically, as Wikipedia content becomes more stable, the community becomes more unstable, as various individuals and factions fight over less and less "free" territory until everything becomes contested in some way. They'll eventually have to split the ArbCom up into different groups based on type-of-dispute, just to handle the increasing workload - but as long as membership is more a popularity contest than a review of who's qualified at dispute-resolution, it's doubtful this will do much more than make the system more bureaucratic.

Ironically, increased user attrition is probably the one positive thing the ArbCom and its descendants can look forward to. If they're all smart enough to encourage it, the whole thing might even become somewhat manageable again.
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Viridae @ Tue 10th November 2009, 1:55am) *

Me three. But then I would say that, woudn't I?
+Quote Post
thekohser

The current ArbCom proved to me that it will not tolerate someone who calls passionately for stronger ethics and better accountability within the Wikipedia community, but I have to say, they did so in a largely non-confrontational way. Also, Risker's re-ban of my primary account has liberated me to do the other things I'm happier doing on Wikipedia, without detection or interference. So, that's a good thing.
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

Improvement or not, the level at which the Arbcom operates remains appallingly poor. There is not a single current member that I would ever vote for, nor do I see any suitable candidates.

Rather, I would like to see the entire inquisition, oops ... institution, abandoned.
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 10th November 2009, 12:16am) *

QUOTE(Viridae @ Mon 9th November 2009, 9:55pm) *

Right. A big improvement from "insanely inept well beyond any attempt at parody" to simply "incredibly slow-moving and dunderheaded, giving a bad connotation to the words 'abitration' and 'committee'". Also a big move from actively corrupt to merely incompetent.

Of course, how effective it is is ultimately irrelevant, since it is illegitimate by virtue of the manner in which it was established.

I will be running again, on the same platform as last year: to decline every case presented to it to try and prevent it from actually being able to do anything.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Tue 10th November 2009, 8:24am) *

Improvement or not, the level at which the Arbcom operates remains appallingly poor. There is not a single current member that I would ever vote for, nor do I see any suitable candidates.

Rather, I would like to see the entire inquisition, oops ... institution, abandoned.

With the possible exception of Newyorkbrad, the Arbcom membership has repeatedly shown itself to be utterly incapable of handling any responsibility that requires transparency, tact and intelligence. At best, their behavior has been inconsistent. At worst, they have displayed high levels of arrogance, venality and blatant lying that has given the committee's rulings the scent of an unflushed toilet.

In many ways, Arbcom is a thankless task. But does that mean that only the stupidest members of the "community" are willing to handle the task?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 10th November 2009, 9:18am) *

In many ways, Arbcom is a thankless task. But does that mean that only the stupidest members of the "community" are willing to handle the task?

As with all things in life, you get what you pay for.
+Quote Post
Jaranda

So far a slow start for nominations compared to last year, one user who I'm not familar with his work (Fritzpoll), and another who's just trolling that page and I highly recomend he withdraw(Kmweber).
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 11,945

Arbcom has improved a tad since last year. Just a tad though. There are, however, still too many useless arbitrators, who fail to deal with actual problematic disputes that are harming the project, and on the other hand will immediately seek to sanction somebody who is unpopular, or who made one mistake that did not effect the encyclopedia in any way. They have their priorities all wrong, that much is clear.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Criteria:

Editors must have 1,000 mainspace edits as of 00:00 UTC on 10 November 2009. For the purposes of this requirement, deleted edits may be counted.

Editors must be either 18 years of age or older, or of majority age in their place of residence, whichever is higher.

Editors will be required (per this thread) to identify to the Wikimedia Foundation before taking their seats. (See also, WT:ACE2007#Ruling on age limit.)

How do I determine if I've 1,000 mainspace edits across Thekohser and Wikipedia Review?

+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Tue 10th November 2009, 5:40pm) *

So far a slow start for nominations compared to last year, one user who I'm not familar with his work (Fritzpoll)

Fritzpoll runs a bot which updates a master BLPFD list in Lara's user-space.

Not sure but this could be intended to replace the original BLPFD page which was created following my suggestion to David Gerard in April 2008. That page was regularly updated by one Erwin85Bot until somebody shut it down in July 2009.

Fritzpoll's bot has (or had) another task to list articles found on other-language Wikipedias but not on English. I know I found literal thousands of such topics myself when researching rivers/mountains/lakes etc. of central and eastern Europe, and I translated maybe a dozen of them. I'd be happy to see a more coordinated effort in that area.

From what I've seen I'm pleased with his work, but I'd have to see the other candidates before commenting further.

another who's just trolling that page and I highly recomend he withdraw(Kmweber).

Hah!

So ummm… why do you hate Wikipedia? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 10th November 2009, 6:12pm) *

Criteria:

Editors must have 1,000 mainspace edits as of 00:00 UTC on 10 November 2009. For the purposes of this requirement, deleted edits may be counted.

Editors must be either 18 years of age or older, or of majority age in their place of residence, whichever is higher.

Editors will be required (per this thread) to identify to the Wikimedia Foundation before taking their seats. (See also, WT:ACE2007#Ruling on age limit.)

How do I determine if I've 1,000 mainspace edits across Thekohser and Wikipedia Review?

Eh, you're banned. If you're banned you don't exist.

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Tue 10th November 2009, 1:53pm) *

I will be running again, on the same platform as last year: to decline every case presented to it to try and prevent it from actually being able to do anything.

Since when did Kurt get unbanned?
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 10th November 2009, 2:16pm) *

Since when did Kurt get unbanned?

He left Wikipedia during the ban discussion. Cf. Wikipedia:Administrators'_noticeboard/IncidentArchive575#Kurt_Weber
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 10th November 2009, 3:12pm) *
Like this.

(You do.)

Edit: Actually, by my count Thekohser alone has 1073 mainspace edits, counting deleted ones (I counted the deleted ones manually, since I'm not aware of any way to automatically sort them by namespace).

This post has been edited by Sarcasticidealist:
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 10th November 2009, 7:23pm) *

Like this.

(You do.)

Edit: Actually, by my count Thekohser alone has 1073 mainspace edits, counting deleted ones (I counted the deleted ones manually, since I'm not aware of any way to automatically sort them by namespace).

Your links are fuxored, see [1].
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 10th November 2009, 4:41pm) *
Your links are fuxored, see [1].
I won't even pretend to be capable of understanding how that happened. Still, they now produce the amusing statement "wikipedia is not a valid wiki", so that's something.
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Tue 10th November 2009, 11:40am) *

and another who's just trolling that page and I highly recomend he withdraw(Kmweber).

No, I'm not.
+Quote Post
Fritz

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 10th November 2009, 6:12pm) *

Fritzpoll's bot has (or had) another task to list articles found on other-language Wikipedias but not on English. I know I found literal thousands of such topics myself when researching rivers/mountains/lakes etc. of central and eastern Europe, and I translated maybe a dozen of them. I'd be happy to see a more coordinated effort in that area.

This bot is running (as we speak) and some of it's output can be seen at Wikipedia:WikiProject Intertranswiki/Danish/Missing articles. Template at the bottom of that page shows that not much is done so far, but that's because the thing takes an age to run for each Wikipedia. Current doing the German Wikipedia so that'll be a few days.

I saw Jenna/Lara request a bot for the BLP AfDs and fulfilled it because it's a worthwhile thing to keep track of all things BLP-related on-wiki.
+Quote Post
thekohser

The criteria say nothing about being banned.

So, if I've got the necessary edits, heck, if someone wants to nominate me...

Greg
+Quote Post
Shalom

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 10th November 2009, 2:23pm) *

Like this.

I clicked that link and it said "wikipedia is not a valid wiki". (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (Oh, you already noted as much.)

This post has been edited by Shalom:
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 10th November 2009, 9:34pm) *

Greg

You've found a loophole. Congratulations.

It would be kind of impossible to, you know, answer questions and such, and if an arbitrator can't even edit... actually, that sounds like a good idea!
+Quote Post
Happy drinker

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 10th November 2009, 11:42pm) *

It would be kind of impossible to, you know, answer questions and such, and if an arbitrator can't even edit... actually, that sounds like a good idea!

He can do everything on his talk page. And of course he could get his case reviewed by the ArbCom.

Hm, yes, I'd vote for him.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 10th November 2009, 6:42pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 10th November 2009, 9:34pm) *

Greg

You've found a loophole. Congratulations.

ArbCom is self-nom only...
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

I wonder.....should I bring up certain Arbcommers' chronic inability to deal with
the Notorious Shankbone, causing them to ignore or refuse personal requests
from WPers in good standing, including a number of admins?

Just wondering.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 10th November 2009, 11:05pm) *

I wonder.....should I bring up certain Arbcommers' chronic inability to deal with
the Notorious Shankbone, causing them to ignore or refuse personal requests
from WPers in good standing, including a number of admins?

Just wondering.

The FT2/OrangeMarlin fiasco probably has made the Committee reluctant to take the initiative on their own to censure editors who are causing too many problems for the wiki. Thus, they have to wait until someone takes the time to build a case against the problematic individuals and then make a formal RfAR.
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 10th November 2009, 7:12pm) *

Criteria:

So, users that up their count by randomly removing external links from bunches of pages, or by stalking someone and reverting all their edits, will quickly qualify, whereas users that carefully prepare new articles in their userspace until they think they're ready to publish, never will.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Wed 11th November 2009, 1:24am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 10th November 2009, 7:12pm) *

Criteria:

So, users that up their count by randomly removing external links from bunches of pages, or by stalking someone and reverting all their edits, will quickly qualify, whereas users that carefully prepare new articles in their userspace until they think they're ready to publish, never will.

Don't know about never, but basically yeah.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

I am almost bored enough to run. Almost. Not quite.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

QUOTE(Happy drinker @ Tue 10th November 2009, 5:54pm) *

He can do everything on his talk page. And of course he could get his case reviewed by the ArbCom.

I would expect that it would be regarded as the proper thing to do for him to recuse himself from any proceedings related to such a case.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(dtobias @ Tue 10th November 2009, 8:58pm) *
I would expect that it would be regarded as the proper thing to do for him to recuse himself from any proceedings related to such a case.
Yes, but since when has it been proper for members of the ArbCom to do the proper thing?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)