FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikimania 2012 -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wikimania 2012, in Washington DC?
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Nothing like Washington in the heat of the summer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Malik Shabazz

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 25,765

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 13th April 2011, 2:12pm) *

Yippee! Wikimania is coming to town! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Wow, July 2012. 436 congressmen (including DC), howevermany senators, and a prez all in the race for re-election 4 months later. Will they want anything to do with the wikimaniacs?

Really not sure if I want Jimmy plugging my guy, or the other guy. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 13th April 2011, 5:02pm) *
Wow, July 2012. 436 congressmen (including DC), howevermany senators, and a prez all in the race for re-election 4 months later. Will they want anything to do with the wikimaniacs?
There are five Delegates and one Resident Commissioner in the House.

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 13th April 2011, 5:02pm) *
Really not sure if I want Jimmy plugging my guy, or the other guy. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
Is that a euphemism?
+Quote Post
Casliber

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 14th April 2011, 4:12am) *

If it is less humid than NY in summer then I am not too fussed. Just a rather long way to travel (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Casliber @ Thu 14th April 2011, 9:26am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 14th April 2011, 4:12am) *

If it is less humid than NY in summer then I am not too fussed. Just a rather long way to travel (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)

It's more humid. Washington, DC was built on what is essentially a tidal marsh.

NOAA says that average morning relative humidity in July at Dulles airport near Washington is 86%, while at LaGuardia, it's 72%. I think you'll notice the difference. Sue Gardner with pit stains. Good times, good times.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Malik Shabazz @ Wed 13th April 2011, 4:50pm) *

Yippee! Wikimania is coming to town! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

And Lara is going to be there, too! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Why are they having it at Georgetown University? There's no Metro Station. I guess there won't be many students around in July, at least...

They should've gone with the Sheraton, off Connecticut Avenue. The food's better, and it's closer to Rock Creek Park, not to mention the zoo, which should appeal to... well, never mind that.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 15th April 2011, 3:22am) *
Why are they having it at Georgetown University? There's no Metro Station. I guess there won't be many students around in July, at least...

They should've gone with the Sheraton, off Connecticut Avenue. The food's better, and it's closer to Rock Creek Park, not to mention the zoo, which should appeal to... well, never mind that.
As I understand it (and I really don't), there are issues with who's going to put the money down upfront. Wikimania not a Wikimedia Foundation event, even though the Wikimedia Foundation hosts its website and sends most of its staff to the conference.

Georgetown has no Metro line, but it has plenty of bus service. Plus I imagine the price difference between staying in the Georgetown dorms and the Sheraton hotel rooms is fairly significant. There will be plenty of students around the city in July, but probably not too many near Georgetown University. It's going to be hot as shit, though; no two ways around that.

I smiled at your zoo comment.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Fri 15th April 2011, 1:14pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 15th April 2011, 3:22am) *

As I understand it (and I really don't), there are issues with who's going to put the money down upfront. Wikimania not a Wikimedia Foundation event, even though the Wikimedia Foundation hosts its website and sends most of its staff to the conference.

Georgetown has no Metro line, but it has plenty of bus service. Plus I imagine the price difference between staying in the Georgetown dorms and the Sheraton hotel rooms is fairly significant. There will be plenty of students around the city in July, but probably not too many near Georgetown University. It's going to be hot as shit, though; no two ways around that.

I smiled at your zoo comment.

Nowt wrong with a Zoo Smile, if in the privacy of your own home...
+Quote Post
thekohser

I just completed my registration for Wikimania 2012. I'm a bit disappointed that PayPal is the only accepted method of payment to "Wiki Society of Washington DC, Inc.". I had so looked forward to paying the $35 fee with my Wikipedia Review business check card Visa!

I think the phone number to the Wiki Society is simply Kirill Lokshin's personal phone. I hope I'm not "outing" him!

By the way, I was apparently registrant # 29.

Anyone else going to register?

Note that the Wiki Society plans to expand its income 100-fold, thanks to corporate sponsorships of Wikimania 2012. Maybe I can look into a small sponsorship by Wikipedia Review?

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
mbz1

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 25th January 2012, 5:28pm) *

I just completed my registration for Wikimania 2012. I'm a bit disappointed that PayPal is the only accepted method of payment to "Wiki Society of Washington DC, Inc.". I had so looked forward to paying the $35 fee with my Wikipedia Review business check card Visa!

I think the phone number to the Wiki Society is simply Kirill Lokshin's personal phone. I hope I'm not "outing" him!

I believed that only a user who is not blocked on at least one wikipedia project could get registered for wikimania (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

BTW what are you going to do there?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Wed 25th January 2012, 12:36pm) *

I believed that only a user who is not blocked on at least one wikipedia project could get registered for wikimania (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

BTW what are you going to do there?

You believed wrong. (Besides, I'm unblocked on quite a handful of Wikimedia projects).

What do you think I plan to do there? Bask in the mania!
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

hmm beach or conference room. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

I don't know if any WR members are firming up plans to go to Wikimania, but if you are, I'd appreciate your putting in your intention to attend this session that will center on paid and COI editing. I'd like to see that it gets adopted into the schedule.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 13th February 2012, 4:29pm) *

I don't know if any WR members are firming up plans to go to Wikimania, but if you are, I'd appreciate your putting in your intention to attend this session that will center on paid and COI editing. I'd like to see that it gets adopted into the schedule.

David King informs me that he received some e-mails that made it clear if I were to sit on that panel, the panel would not be held, so he's deleted me off the guest list.

So much for "open" and "transparent" discussion.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 14th February 2012, 7:58pm) *

David King informs me that he received some e-mails that made it clear if I were to sit on that panel, the panel would not be held, so he's deleted me off the guest list.

Wait, the moderator of that panel is a paid WP editor? How does that make sense?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 14th February 2012, 3:25pm) *

Wait, the moderator of that panel is a paid WP editor? How does that make sense?

He's one of those goody two-shoes paid editors who tries with utmost effort to play within the "rules" of Wikipedia. (I suspect that this limits the range of his usefulness to many clients and prospective clients.)
+Quote Post
timbo

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 14th February 2012, 11:58am) *

Maybe you can start a "how to" panel on Wikipedia socking...

t
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(timbo @ Wed 15th February 2012, 1:07am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 14th February 2012, 11:58am) *

Maybe you can start a "how to" panel on Wikipedia socking...

t

King could handle that, too.

David44357 (T-C-L-K-R-D)
Analytics447 (T-C-L-K-R-D)
David4057 (T-C-L-K-R-D)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)