FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Admin gone gaga -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Admin gone gaga
melloden

Group: Contributors

Centrx has been making erratic edits recently.

So, desysop.

And, who is this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jsalsman

Someone should ask a sysadmin to pull the database backups from January to see if the email is the same.

I can't believe I'm giving Wikipedia security forensics advice on WR.
+Quote Post
Bottled_Spider

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 9,708

QUOTE(jsalsman @ Sun 8th April 2012, 9:10pm) *
Someone should ask a sysadmin to pull the database backups from January to see if the email is the same.

I can't believe I'm giving Wikipedia security forensics advice on WR.

I should imagine that the otherwise awful AGK was intelligent enough to think of that brilliant piece of Wikipedia security forensics when he checkusered the account.
+Quote Post
jsalsman

There is nothing in the checkuser extension that can see whether the email address associated with an account is the same as it was three or more months ago. Only the sysadmins can do that, and only if they examine the private (i.e., non-toolserver visible) backups.

If the account impostor is from the same household, such as a mischievous adolescent consistent with the recent account behavior is likely to be, then checkuser is worthless.

This post has been edited by jsalsman:
+Quote Post
Bottled_Spider

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(jsalsman @ Mon 9th April 2012, 8:32am) *
There is nothing in the checkuser extension that can see whether the email address associated with an account is the same as it was three or more months ago. Only the sysadmins can do that, and only if they examine the private (i.e., non-toolserver visible) backups.

If the account impostor is from the same household, such as a mischievous adolescent consistent with the recent account behavior is likely to be, then checkuser is worthless.

Part of the checking process involved actually getting in touch with the guy in question, so presumably there is no mischievous adolescent involved unless he is one himself. Hello?

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 9th April 2012, 7:27am) *
...... this:
Blarg ... Babble bebble bibble. Also, penis.

...is almost certainly what that admin is actually thinking. (Especially that last bit!)

So, far from being "desysopped" or blocked, I'd say Mr. Ranger here should be promoted to "Steward."

He's maybe one of those people that uses some sort of speech-to-text facility in which case it's what he's actually saying. Either way it doesn't bear thinking about (though I just have).
+Quote Post
jsalsman

QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Mon 9th April 2012, 3:18am) *
Part of the checking process involved actually getting in touch with the guy in question, so presumably there is no mischievous adolescent involved unless he is one himself.
That's why I suggested checking to see if his email had been changed between the time of his completely normal editing last year and adding existential questions to the top of the Main Page.
+Quote Post
Bottled_Spider

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(jsalsman @ Mon 9th April 2012, 8:59pm) *
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Mon 9th April 2012, 3:18am) *
Part of the checking process involved actually getting in touch with the guy in question, so presumably there is no mischievous adolescent involved unless he is one himself.
That's why I suggested checking to see if his email had been changed between the time of his completely normal editing last year and adding existential questions to the top of the Main Page.

Yes. Perhaps that's one of the questions they asked him. Perhaps they asked him "Hey, Centrx, what's the chance that your email's been changed since last year and some mischievous adolescent hijacked and compromised your account? Eh? Go on, tell us!". Yep...... it's a mystery.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)