FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
User:Giano/The_future -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> User:Giano/The_future, Giano shows leadership
Mr. Mystery

Group: Contributors

User:Giano/The_future.

Good luck with that.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Casliber

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 24th June 2009, 2:16pm) *

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 7:05pm) *
I'm not expected to be productive here.
I have seen no evidence that you have ever been productive at Wikipedia either, or that (in fact) anyone there is expected to produce anything in particular.

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Tue 23rd June 2009, 7:50pm) *
Actually, a majority of Wikipedia editors stick pretty much to editing articles whenever they happen to be in the mood. They have at most incidental or occasional involvement with the whole administrative apparatus of the site, or the various opportunities it provides for "moaning and groaning."
You left out a very salient point, and one which I think you would prefer to ignore: when they do run into the administrative apparatus of the site, the experience tends to convince them to find other pastimes. And yet, the administrativichiks, a caste of which you are a senior member, seem to think that this is not indicative of a problem.

I think there are signs this is changing. Some content contributors have gotten more involved this year and are sticking around thus far.

I am also not necessarily convinced that is a problem as the primary objective is still writing an encyclopedia.
Cas
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Casliber @ Wed 24th June 2009, 5:40am) *

I think there are signs this is changing. Some content contributors have gotten more involved this year and are sticking around thus far.

I am also not necessarily convinced that is a problem as the primary objective is still writing an encyclopedia.
Cas

Some serious content contributors don't want to get involved with adminstrative issues. Others, as you might recall, are not allowed to get involved in administrative issues. I don't think there are very many who fall into neither group. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 24th June 2009, 9:55am) *

Some serious content contributors don't want to get involved with adminstrative issues. Others, as you might recall, are not allowed to get involved in administrative issues. I don't think there are very many who fall into neither group.

Anyone whose a serious editor and also an admin so knows whats really going on is very likely to get sick and leave.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(sbrown @ Wed 24th June 2009, 8:11am) *

Anyone whose a serious editor and also an admin so knows whats really going on is very likely to get sick and leave.

A serious editor and also an admin? What's wrong with that sentence? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 24th June 2009, 6:15pm) *

A serious editor and also an admin? What's wrong with that sentence? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

To be fair, I can think of quite a few who fit that bill. A few of them on here even.

This post has been edited by Malleus:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Malleus @ Wed 24th June 2009, 1:52pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 24th June 2009, 6:15pm) *

To be fair, I can think of quite a few who fit that bill. A few of them on here even.

To be frank, I cannot name any person on Wikipedia who improved as an editor after becoming an admin. I am, however, finding a lot of admins who had some degree of editorial skill and human resources talent before their RfAs but almost immediately became sloppy, touchy and puerile afterwards. A few of them on here even!
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 24th June 2009, 2:01pm) *

To be frank, I cannot name any person on Wikipedia who improved as an editor after becoming an admin.

I wrote my first(1) FA after becoming an admin. Whether that's a sign that I improved as an editor is not necessarily clear to me

1 - and so far, my only one... writing an FA takes a significant chunk of time. Or did me anyway.
+Quote Post
MBisanz

QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 24th June 2009, 11:42pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 24th June 2009, 2:01pm) *

To be frank, I cannot name any person on Wikipedia who improved as an editor after becoming an admin.

I wrote my first(1) FA after becoming an admin. Whether that's a sign that I improved as an editor is not necessarily clear to me

1 - and so far, my only one... writing an FA takes a significant chunk of time. Or did me anyway.

I had 1 DYK when I passed RFA, I now have 25 DYKs, 2 FLs, and 1 GA, although I do have to admit that most of them are on boring topics.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 24th June 2009, 7:01pm) *
I had 1 DYK when I passed RFA, I now have 25 DYKs, 2 FLs, and 1 GA, although I do have to admit that most of them are on boring topics.
And I bet you cut a stunning sight in your Wikipedia Dress Uniform, what with all the cabbage you get to wear to go with all that alphabet soup.

And yet, despite all that, you have still failed to do anything to actually help create an encyclopedia.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 24th June 2009, 8:09pm) *

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 24th June 2009, 7:01pm) *
And I bet you cut a stunning sight in your Wikipedia Dress Uniform, what with all the cabbage you get to wear to go with all that alphabet soup.

And yet, despite all that, you have still failed to do anything to actually help create an encyclopedia.

Wait a minute. Acronyms and initialisms aside, MBisanz is saying he's created featured lists and new articles (with "Did you know" hooks). Yet he's "failed to do anything to actually help create an encyclopedia"? I'm lost.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 24th June 2009, 8:22pm) *
Wait a minute. Acronyms and initialisms aside, MBisanz is saying he's created featured lists and new articles (with "Did you know" hooks). Yet he's "failed to do anything to actually help create an encyclopedia"? I'm lost.
"Did you know" hooks are rarely encyclopedic; they're closer to "hey, look at the neat meaningless trivia I discovered", the sort of thing that the rest of us use Twitter to get. "Featured lists" are a concept invented by Wikipediots jealous that their writing skills (or political savvy) are too lame to negotiate the Featured Article minefield, so they too could get wikicabbage on their wikiuniforms. Creating lists is not remotely encyclopedic behavior; at best that is almanac level work.

When you guys start writing good, solid, high-level syntheses of broad topics for consumption by a general audience, that's when you'll be creating an encyclopedia. Discovering and cataloging mindless trivia doesn't cut it.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 25th June 2009, 1:28am) *
When you guys start writing good, solid, high-level syntheses of broad topics for consumption by a general audience, that's when you'll be creating an encyclopedia. Discovering and cataloging mindless trivia doesn't cut it.

To return back to the original subject of this thread, I think Wikipedia has lost a lot of editors who had the potential of being able to do what you mention above, but left after they saw how disorganized, amateurish, and chaotic Wikipedia's administration was. The first time a relatively inexperienced editor takes a complaint to ANI, AN, or Jimbo's talk page, the response they receive is really important. If it's ignored or answered in a flippant, insipid, or ineffective way, then don't be surprised if many of them suddenly decide that there are much better things that they could be doing with their time.

By the way, Giano has opened another page to discuss possible solutions here. RDH has already made some excellent suggestions.

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sat 27th June 2009, 11:14pm) *

The first time a relatively inexperienced editor takes a complaint to ANI, AN, or Jimbo's talk page, the response they receive is really important. If it's ignored or answered in a flippant, insipid, or ineffective way, then don't be surprised if many of them suddenly decide that there are much better things that they could be doing with their time.

And of course if there blocked there very unlikely to come back.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Mr. Mystery   User:Giano/The_future  
Peter Damian   More proof that Wikipedia is now a form of enterta...  
MZMcBride   More proof that Wikipedia is now a form of entert...  
Herschelkrustofsky   More proof that Wikipedia is now a form of enter...  
Kelly Martin   I'm not expected to be productive here.I have ...  
Newyorkbrad   I'm not expected to be productive here.I have...  
Cla68   [quote name='MZMcBride' post='179995' date='Tue 2...  
RMHED   User:Giano/The_future. Good luck with that. Gia...  
Giano   [quote name='Mr. Mystery' post='179949' date='Tue...  
Nerd   [quote name='Mr. Mystery' post='179949' date='Tu...  
Newyorkbrad   [quote name='Giano' post='179964' date='Tue 23rd ...  
A Horse With No Name   Oh c'mon - give me a chance. Don't swe...  
Milton Roe   Yeah, but Brad's observation explains why no...  
A Horse With No Name   As the great Yogi Berra was want to say: "No...  
Milton Roe   As the great Yogi Berra was want to say: "N...  
A Horse With No Name   [quote name='A Horse With No Name' post='180014' ...  
aeon   [quote name='RMHED' post='179957' date='Tue 23rd ...  
RMHED   [quote name='Mr. Mystery' post='179949' date='Tu...  
A Horse With No Name   [quote name='Mr. Mystery' post='179949' date='Tue...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Newyorkbrad' post='180002' date='Tue...  
trenton   diff However, please don't cloud the issues w...  
Kato   Oh good, Peter Jackson has a view. http://en.wiki...  
Casliber   Actually, a majority of Wikipedia editors stick ...  
Kelly Martin   I am also not necessarily convinced that is a prob...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Casliber' post='180039' date='Tue 23...  
Peter Damian   I am also not necessarily convinced that is a pro...  
MZMcBride   Wait a minute. Acronyms and initialisms aside, MB...  
A Horse With No Name   The first time a relatively inexperienced editor...  
Malleus   AN and ANI is strictly a clubhouse for a select fe...  
Milton Roe   AN and ANI is strictly a clubhouse for a select f...  
RMHED   AN and ANI is strictly a clubhouse for a select ...  
RMHED   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='180203' date='We...  
A Horse With No Name   [quote name='A Horse With No Name' post='180144'...  
tarantino   And DYKs, please. Any idiot can get a DYK. That...  
RMHED   [quote name='Ottava Rima' date='Wed 24th June 200...  
Casliber   [quote name='Casliber' post='180039' date='Tue 23...  
Casliber   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='180041' date='Tu...  
Milton Roe   Hmmm, obviously synthesis is a fluid and multilev...  
Kelly Martin   Hmmm, obviously synthesis is a fluid and multileve...  
MBisanz   Two concepts that have served me well on Wikipedia...  
Casliber   I have done synthesis in several of the featured ...  
Peter Damian   I know Giano's a bit weak on the spelling fron...  
Casliber   [quote name='MZMcBride' post='180223' date='Wed 2...  
RMHED   Got a real buzz researching Sirius when I buffed ...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)