FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
NoCal100 and his many socks -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> NoCal100 and his many socks, Isarig's love of harassing Palestinian women
nableezy

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 11,908

NoCal100 may have the dubious distinction of having two separate accounts banned in the same ArbCom case, after having "vanished" in a prior case. His first, as far as I can tell, account was Isarig (I'll leave what that stands for unsaid, but it will get obvious in a bit). He has, for as long as he has been active on WP, had as his overarching goal, to denigrate Palestinians and harass anybody who gets in his way. His prime target has been Tiamut, a Palestinian woman in Nazareth.

Among NoCal's sock puppets are AgEng, an account whose primary purpose was to create a biography on one Yoav Sarig. Other accounts include Canadian Monkey, the other party to the same ArbCom case that saw NoCal topic banned (West Bank/Judea and Samaria).

None of this is all that unusual, lots of people sock, but where this gets surreal, at least for me, is how this twat of a man can, with a parade of socks that are evading bans, demand that others who violate the rules be punished with a firm hand. His most recent IP sock (71.204.165.25) has in the past months demanded that Bless sins and Vice Regent be blocked as sockpuppets (here) despite even Jayjg's acceptance that they not be, participated in another SPI (here) and is now arguing that his long-time target be blocked for edit-warring (permalink). He used two separate socks to argue that an editor whose only block was placed at their own request not be allowed to edit as an IP or even as an account after that block was lifted, and he was able to get FT2 to back him on this, even though FT2 was aware that he was a banned sockpuppet arguing that an IP of an unblocked account was a sockpuppet that should be blocked (see here and here

All of this showcases several of the problems with WP and topics as controversial as the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. The truly dedicated accounts will return, again and again, and cause the same problems, again and again. Others with even a touch of dignity and self-respect, like the inimitable G-Dett, will not. So instead of a writer whose only actual activity in the topic area was to attempt to clear the most ridiculous garbage, we are left with a never ending parade of Isarig socks. Why this is so difficult to deal with is beyond me. Why this IP is allowed to continue his years long harassment of Tiamut is also something that I cannot explain.

I am not sure why I am writing this as it is clear, or rather should be clear, that nothing ever gets accomplished on Wikipedia. That those who play the game well will always beat those that actually try to write an encyclopedia. But this really is absurd.

This post has been edited by nableezy:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
EricBarbour

blah

Group: Regulars

So, is he really Yoav Sarig (T-H-L-K-D), or his son, or another relative?

Nableezy, if you've got a list of accounts he's used, please post them. The best thing you can do with an ass like Sarig is to report on his activities--to the public.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
nableezy

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 11,908

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 20th February 2012, 4:39pm) *

So, is he really Yoav Sarig (T-H-L-K-D), or his son, or another relative?

Nableezy, if you've got a list of accounts he's used, please post them. The best thing you can do with an ass like Sarig is to report on his activities--to the public.

Yoav Sarig seems far too serious, and old, to be NoCal. If somebody on his level were doing all this I would be shocked. It takes way too much time and effort to pull off what NoCal has been doing for years.

The established accounts are in the sock categories on-wiki, though it is missing a few names. I'll get to putting a list together, may be a few days though.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(nableezy @ Tue 21st February 2012, 12:20am) *
Yoav Sarig seems far too serious, and old, to be NoCal. If somebody on his level were doing all this I would be shocked. It takes way too much time and effort to pull off what NoCal has been doing for years.

Well, I was more shocked when I learned that a certain University of Haifa associate professor was behind the Runtshit-vandal. That vandalism also normally comes during "office hours". Nice to have a University to pay you to vandalise Wikipedia!
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 28th February 2012, 11:57pm) *
Well, I was more shocked when I learned that a certain University of Haifa associate professor was behind the Runtshit-vandal. That vandalism also normally comes during "office hours". Nice to have a University to pay you to vandalise Wikipedia!

for the love of God! 1,398 sockpuppets!?
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 29th February 2012, 12:08am) *

Yupp, + some suspected. He has a full-time job. (Some might be by his students/followers, though.)

Editors in the US normally do not notice him, as I said; he operate mostly in University of Haifa´s office hours.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Wed 29th February 2012, 12:19am) *

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 29th February 2012, 12:08am) *

Yupp, + some suspected. He has a full-time job. (Some might be by his students/followers, though.)

Editors in the US normally do not notice him, as I said; he operate mostly in University of Haifa´s office hours.

Maybe he has a grant to sockpuppet from the Israeli Foreign Ministry's Hasbara program?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)