FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Who gets the WR endorsement for Arbcom09 -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who gets the WR endorsement for Arbcom09, Could be the kiss of death?
Arbcom 09
Who merits the WR endorsement?
AGK [ 1 ] ** [1.54%]
Cla68 [ 22 ] ** [33.85%]
Coren [ 2 ] ** [3.08%]
Fred Bauder [ 4 ] ** [6.15%]
Fritzpoll [ 3 ] ** [4.62%]
Hersford [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Jehochman [ 1 ] ** [1.54%]
Kirill Lokshin [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Kmweber [ 8 ] ** [12.31%]
KnightLago [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Mailer diablo [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
MBK004 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
RMHED [ 4 ] ** [6.15%]
Ruslik0 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Secret [ 1 ] ** [1.54%]
Seddon [ 2 ] ** [3.08%]
Shell Kinney [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
SirFozzie [ 2 ] ** [3.08%]
Steve Smith [ 11 ] ** [16.92%]
Unomi [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Wehwalt [ 2 ] ** [3.08%]
William M. Connelley [ 2 ] ** [3.08%]
Xavexgoem [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Will you be voting in the election?
Yes [ 23 ] ** [35.38%]
No [ 15 ] ** [23.08%]
What election? [ 3 ] ** [4.62%]
No, I'm banned [ 4 ] ** [6.15%]
Yes, several times [ 13 ] ** [20.00%]
Actually, I'm a candidate [ 7 ] ** [10.77%]
Total Votes: 130
Guests cannot vote 
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 90

OK, there's going to be lots of useless exit polls, so let's get in first with our pre-poll.

The winner gets a lovely "endorsed by Wikipedia Review" banner (yet to be designed) to put on their nomination. Should be worth a few votes to them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

I have to say, Doc, when I saw the topic "Who gets the WR endorsement for Arbcom09" pop up with your name as the most recent contributor, I assumed that some Wikipedia fanboy had started the thread and you'd retorted by dourly asking them to focus on something more consequential.

Still, what fun! But are radio button polls the only format supported by this site?
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 7:47pm) *

I have to say, Doc, when I saw the topic "Who gets the WR endorsement for Arbcom09" pop up with your name as the most recent contributor, I assumed that some Wikipedia fanboy had started the thread and you'd retorted by dourly asking them to focus on something more consequential.

Still, what fun! But are radio button polls the only format supported by this site?

The whole wikipedia/anti-wikipedia thing is about fun. I no longer take any of it seriously - except where it has negative consequences on real live people.
+Quote Post
cyofee

I'm voting for Cla68, with several accounts.

I hope he'll desysop SlimVirgin for good.

This post has been edited by cyofee:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Mon 30th November 2009, 2:43pm) *

OK, there's going to be lots of useless exit polls, so let's get in first with our pre-poll.

The winner gets a lovely "endorsed by Wikipedia Review" banner (yet to be designed) to put on their nomination. Should be worth a few votes to them.

People who live in Glaswikian houses shouldn't throw scones …

Ja Ja (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Yes, 'tis a pity we can't have a multi-option mimic of the arbcom poll
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Mon 30th November 2009, 8:10pm) *

Yes, 'tis a pity we can't have a multi-option mimic of the arbcom poll

I guess you could re-do with buttons for each candidate in a separate section e.g.
Kurt Weber
[x] support
[   ] oppose

Or maybe just "not support" if the actual ballot has no "oppose" option, shrug.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 1:47pm) *

We tried TV buttons for a while, but people kept demanding that we give them a "remote."

One of these days we'll have to properly upgrade this site... I think the latest version allows for things like that, though I could be mistaken.
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

Kurt Weber, obviously.
He is the only one who openly promises to try and bring down the attrocity monstrosity from the inside if elected.
All hail the "Anti-Bauder"
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

I'd prefer to see RMHED in there.

He's the only one who is honest. He'll just party.
And let the whole ugly mess fall into ruin. Hah.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

Group: Contributors

Hey, I'm in second place!
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

Assuming they're telling the truth about electing eight people, vote AGK, Bauder, Hersfold, Secret, Seddon, Shell Kinney, Unomi and Connelly. An Arbcom with a clear majority of undoubted nutjobs will hasten the day in which what laughably passes for a Wikipedia governance process chokes on its own vomit, and the WMF is forced to bite the bullet and replace the ridiculous psuedo-masonic hierarchy with a properly constituted board of governors.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 30th November 2009, 10:12pm) *
Assuming they're telling the truth about electing eight people, vote AGK, Bauder, Hersfold, Secret, Seddon, Shell Kinney, Unomi and Connelly.
Any chance you'd explain your "endorsements" of AGK, Hersfold, and Seddon? I don't know much about any of them, and am still considering whether to support them.

Also, by your criteria why not Kurt or RMHED (the second of whom seem pretty intelligent, but also doesn't seem likely to facilitate effective conflict resolution)?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

I'd vote for Steve Smith (WR's Sarcasticidealist.) He's pro-Wikipedian but he thinks better than rest of this rabble. Someday he'll flip sides and become a critic. I've noticed that being on ArbCom has had an effect One too. Mostly in tone and mostly taking form of impatience. He could eventually get things right too. I'll bet half of PETA once worked in meat packing.

But I can't vote. I haven't touched Wikipedia in well over a year.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 30th November 2009, 12:23pm) *

I guess you could re-do with buttons for each candidate in a separate section e.g.
Kurt Weber
[x] support
[   ] oppose

Or maybe just "not support" if the actual ballot has no "oppose" option, shrug.
Trying to devise a workable poll with this software is a headache. Kirill wasn't my first choice, but I wish I could have voted for him as a secondary option, as he seems semi-reasonable. There ought to be an option as well to have Fred Bauder exiled to ED.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 1st December 2009, 1:19am) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 30th November 2009, 10:12pm) *
Assuming they're telling the truth about electing eight people, vote AGK, Bauder, Hersfold, Secret, Seddon, Shell Kinney, Unomi and Connelly.
Any chance you'd explain your "endorsements" of AGK, Hersfold, and Seddon? I don't know much about any of them, and am still considering whether to support them.

Also, by your criteria why not Kurt or RMHED (the second of whom seem pretty intelligent, but also doesn't seem likely to facilitate effective conflict resolution)?

AGK is a reincarnation of Anthony cfc (T-C-L-K-R-D) , and I can't do better at summing up the problem than the oppose section of his RFA did. Sure, it was two years ago, but I see no evidence that this isn't the latest manifestation of the same "I want every job going because I'm so important" shtick.

Hersfold may be great for all I know; what I do know is that when I was on Wikipedia I got around a lot, and never once saw him in any context other than throwing himself into an argument regardless of whether it related to him in any way.

Regarding Seddon, I direct you to toolserver, and once you've looked at that, give me your opinion whether this is someone likely to defuse drama. Besides, this is someone taking the process so seriously that at the time of writing, he hasn't bothered to answer a single question.

No point voting for Kurt and RHMED other than the lulz value of seeing them top the poll (don't worry, I'm doing my damndest to get them there; Horsey, Undertow, Peter, you might want to join me in this one). Even if they win, Jimbo will just veto them.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Having been repeatedly burned by voting for bad candidates in the past, my support votes this year will be based strictly on clear pledges made by the candidates. Candidates can receive my support by making pledges on one of two issues: they can pledge to conduct all or nearly all of their arbitration-related deliberations on-wiki and to promote ArbCom transparency in general, or they can pledge to help me get my own case reviewed and my restrictions lifted. AGK made a transparently-related pledge, so I'm planning to vote for him. As far as I know, no other candidate has made a pledge on either of the issues, so I will vote for none of them unless they do.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 1st December 2009, 2:35am) *

I'd vote for Steve Smith (WR's Sarcasticidealist.) He's pro-Wikipedian but he thinks better than rest of this rabble. Someday he'll flip sides and become a critic. I've noticed that being on ArbCom has had an effect One too. Mostly in tone and mostly taking form of impatience. He could eventually get things right too. I'll bet half of PETA once worked in meat packing.

One/CHL is one of the saddest cases I've seen. He was a promising candidate, but as an arbitrator, he's ceased to represent any sort of critical or reformist perspective. Do you suppose being on the secret mailing list has done that to him? Special privileges can have that effect on people...when you get special privileges, it's easy to start thinking that things really aren't so bad after all, and people need to stop whining.
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 7:19pm) *

why not Kurt or RMHED (the second of whom seem pretty intelligent

(emphasis mine)

Excuse me?
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Mon 30th November 2009, 11:57pm) *
Excuse me?
Apologies - I did not intend to imply that you were stupid, though your interpretation otherwise was a reasonable one. What I meant was that it is patently obvious why somebody aiming to have ArbCom "choke on its own vomit" would want to vote for you, but that my listing of RMHED in the same category might require elaboration. A better wording would have been "Also, by your criteria why not Kurt (who's clearly a maniac) or RMHED (who seems pretty intelligent, but also doesn't seem likely to facilitate effective conflict resolution)?"

This post has been edited by Sarcasticidealist:
+Quote Post
Obesity

I taste as good as skinny feels.

Member No.: 6,909

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 30th November 2009, 8:12pm) *

Assuming they're telling the truth about electing eight people, vote AGK, Bauder, Hersfold, Secret, Seddon, Shell Kinney, Unomi and Connelly. An Arbcom with a clear majority of undoubted nutjobs will hasten the day in which what laughably passes for a Wikipedia governance process chokes on its own vomit, and the WMF is forced to bite the bullet and replace the ridiculous psuedo-masonic hierarchy with a properly constituted board of governors.

Yes. See my thread from last year.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 10:01pm) *

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Mon 30th November 2009, 11:57pm) *
Excuse me?
Apologies - I did not intend to imply that you were stupid, though your interpretation otherwise was a reasonable one. What I meant was that it is patently obvious why somebody aiming to have ArbCom "choke on its own vomit" would want to vote for you, but that my listing of RMHED in the same category might require elaboration. A better wording would have been "Also, by your criteria why not Kurt (who's clearly a maniac) or RMHED (who seems pretty intelligent, but also doesn't seem likely to facilitate effective conflict resolution)?"

Why do you hate Wikipedia?
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 30th November 2009, 10:35pm) *
I'd vote for Steve Smith (WR's Sarcasticidealist.)
Thanks a bundle, GBG.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Mon 30th November 2009, 7:57pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 30th November 2009, 7:19pm) *

why not Kurt or RMHED (the second of whom seem pretty intelligent

(emphasis mine)

Excuse me?

You blew it with the Rand-pushing. To steal a simile from Einstein: Objectivism is like measles; it's an infantile disease.

In due time as you age, you'll realize that no man is an island. And you'll weep for whatever altruism you can get, since as you get older, you'll find in your bones that the natural human condition is pretty shitty, and not at all heroic. With the possible exception of people who actually pause to help others through the shit, and with the shit, when they could just as easily ignore them and move on.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Premier player

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 30th November 2009, 8:24pm) *

One of these days we'll have to properly upgrade this site... I think the latest version allows for things like that, though I could be mistaken.

Difficult to tell, as the software has been heavily customised, but I'd say you're three versions behind.

On the subject of the poll, do we want someone whom we know to be an expert at the job but frequently give wrong decisions (you know who I mean), or someone of whose expertise we have no idea? Tough!
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 1st December 2009, 1:42am) *
There ought to be an option as well to have Fred Bauder exiled to ED.

Or redirected to Clown, at least.

Seriously, he's running?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Vote for the guys who will give Arbcom the level of seriousness that it deserves: RHMED, Cla68, Kurt. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

And anyone who votes for Jehochman is gonna get a horseshoe in the chops! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 1st December 2009, 10:04am) *

Vote for the guys who will give Arbcom the level of seriousness that it deserves: RHMED, Cla68, Kurt. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

And anyone who votes for Jehochman is gonna get a horseshoe in the chops! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

I'm sorry, putting Cla68 in with RHMED and Kurt is an insult. Even if you were just joking around.

Cla68 is a serious candidate who has shown dedication to the project and a devotion to doing the right thing, and a high tolerance for getting dealt shitty hands. ArbCom could really use his expertise.
+Quote Post

QUOTE(Random832 @ Tue 1st December 2009, 1:38pm) *

Seriously, he's running?

Oh yes.

I got indef blocked by Tznkai for asking OFF (Old Friend Fred) about some deep, dark sekrets of his legal past. And my Q's not only were removed but deleted (wanna see em?). WP moves very quickly when it comes to protecting the perceived privacy of its own.

Less than 3 hours later, after some urging by Casliber and Giano, Tznkai unblocks me, I re ask my questions to the venerable jurist in a more PC manner and we end up having a pleasant discussion Oh and I end up joining Wikipedia Review...so unlike many stories here, this one ended well.

Aside from the Hasten The Day™ crew, I see no reason why any sane, rational Reviewer would vote to put OFF back on the Itty Bitty Titty Committee.

This post has been edited by RDH(Ghost In The Machine):
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Random832 @ Tue 1st December 2009, 5:38am) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)
+Quote Post
Jaranda

QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 1st December 2009, 9:35am) *

I'm sorry, putting Cla68 in with RHMED and Kurt is an insult. Even if you were just joking around.

Cla68 is a serious candidate who has shown dedication to the project and a devotion to doing the right thing, and a high tolerance for getting dealt shitty hands. ArbCom could really use his expertise.

I agree with Lar here, Cla68 is one of our most dedicated article writers, and a smart contributer who would be a bonus for the committee. He doesn't belong in the same category as those two. He should have gotten adminship a long time ago.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Tue 1st December 2009, 11:17am) *

I agree with Lar here, Cla68 is one of our most dedicated article writers, and a smart contributer who would be a bonus for the committee. He doesn't belong in the same category as those two. He should have gotten adminship a long time ago.

Eh, phooey. I like all three of these guys -- Cla68 is a class act, RHMED brings some much needed irreverence to the show and Kurt is the best thing to come out of Indiana since James Dean. I hope these guys win. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lar

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 1st December 2009, 1:25pm) *

Eh, phooey. I like all three of these guys -- Cla68 is a class act, RHMED brings some much needed irreverence to the show and Kurt is the best thing to come out of Indiana since James Dean. I hope these guys win. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

K!

I keep forgetting you have a strange horsey way of showing your love (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 1st December 2009, 10:25am) *

Why do you hate Indiana?
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 1st December 2009, 1:38pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 1st December 2009, 10:25am) *

Why do you hate Indiana?

Why do you hate Shostakovich?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Tue 1st December 2009, 3:02pm) *

Because he can't sing along to the lyrics? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Tue 1st December 2009, 4:17pm) *

QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 1st December 2009, 9:35am) *

Cla68 is too good for ArbCom, it'd be the ruin of him.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(RMHED @ Tue 1st December 2009, 1:24pm) *

Well, it's beeeeen the ruin of many a young man;
Cool Hand, oh God, was One....

+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 1st December 2009, 5:34pm) *
Well, it's beeeeen the ruin of many a young man;
Cool Hand, oh God, was One....
That was so good it almost made me use a smilie.

(Which is what she said. I have no idea what she meant, given the context.)
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(RMHED @ Tue 1st December 2009, 9:24pm) *

I don't understand why he's running for ArbCom when he's not an admin. I don't think there's much doubt at all that he'd pass an RfA now, so why doesn't he run for that again? Having only admins run for ArbCom has two benefits: first, it requires that every candidate has already received a community endorsement and thus it helps to filter out the waste-of-time candidates, and second, it requires that every candidate have had some experience working on administrative tasks and the implementation of rules--it seems like an arbitrator who didn't have that experience could be at a serious disadvantage. But having said all that, Cla68 can have my vote if he just makes a pledge on one of the two issues I described earlier in the thread.
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

I will probably win.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st December 2009, 3:59pm) *
Having only admins run for ArbCom has two benefits: first, it requires that every candidate has already received a community endorsement and thus it helps to filter out the waste-of-time candidates...

You mean every candidate who won a popularity contest? I don't know anything about "community endorsement." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

...and second, it requires that every candidate have had some experience working on administrative tasks and the implementation of rules.

There is a difference between doing something and doing something correctly. If the 2009 Arbcom is any indication, their administrative experience did not prepare them for such labors as opening and reading e-mails, enforcing sockpuppet policies with something that has a passing resemblance to consistency, answering very easy Yes or No questions and behaving with some sense of maturity and decorum. Of course, let's not forget Sam Blacketer, whose shenanigans gave WP its biggest PR black eye this year -- admin and arbitrator!

It seems like an arbitrator who didn't have that experience could be at a serious disadvantage.

Can't be worst than what we've seen. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Tue 1st December 2009, 9:03pm) *

I will probably win.

I think we may be using different definitions of the term "probably" - too many wikipedians hate wikipedia for that to be reasonably likely.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Tue 1st December 2009, 4:03pm) *

I will probably win.

That's what we need on Arbcom -- gung-ho Hoosier farm boys who can toss around the WP issues like bales of hay and squeeze out the hypocrisy like they were squeezing the udders of a milk cow.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Tue 1st December 2009, 10:03pm) *

I will probably win.

It would help if you had my vote, Kurt. And just think about it--user trends being what they are, in just a few years I may constitute a substantial portion of the electorate, so getting my support is really a long-term investment. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) Even though I opposed you in the past because I questioned your sanity, this year things are much simpler: to get my support, all you have to do is make a pledge on one of the two key issues I described earlier. (Bauder and Kirill are excluded on grounds of moral turpitude, not that they'd ever make the pledges anyway.)
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st December 2009, 6:13pm) *
It would help if you had my vote, Kurt. And just think about it--user trends being what they are, in just a few years I may constitute a substantial portion of the electorate, so getting my support is really a long-term investment. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) Even though I opposed you in the past because I questioned your sanity, this year things are much simpler: to get my support, all you have to do is make a pledge on one of the two key issues I described earlier. (Bauder and Kirill are excluded on grounds of moral turpitude, not that they'd ever make the pledges anyway.)
The only ArbCom business in which Kurt intends to engage is voting to reject cases, which is necessarily on-wiki. Hasn't he made one of your pledges by implication?
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 1st December 2009, 10:15pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st December 2009, 6:13pm) *
The only ArbCom business in which Kurt intends to engage is voting to reject cases, which is necessarily on-wiki. Hasn't he made one of your pledges by implication?

Hmm. He might win on a technicality there, but it's not really in the spirit of the pledge. In spirit, that pledge requires something more like actual work and deliberations on-wiki.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

I don't understand why he's running for ArbCom when he's not an admin. I don't think there's much doubt at all that he'd pass an RfA now, so why doesn't he run for that again? Having only admins run for ArbCom has two benefits: first, it requires that every candidate has already received a community endorsement and thus it helps to filter out the waste-of-time candidates, and second, it requires that every candidate have had some experience working on administrative tasks and the implementation of rules--it seems like an arbitrator who didn't have that experience could be at a serious disadvantage. But having said all that, Cla68 can have my vote if he just makes a pledge on one of the two issues I described earlier in the thread.

I suppose the same filter could be used to screen out stupid (if ironic) comments on how people should vote.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st December 2009, 8:59pm) *

The complete opposite would be far superior, ArbCom should consist entirely of non-admins. This takes away any possible temptation to act as judge and jury and would act as a deterrent to the power seekers.
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(A%2525252520Horse%2525252520With%2525252520No%2525252520Name @ Tue 1st December 2009, 8:09pm) *

QUOTE(Kurt%2525252520M%252525252E%2525252520Weber @ Tue 1st December 2009, 3:02pm) *

Because he can't sing along to the lyrics? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Shostakovich did a great arrangement of "Tea for two".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agfZ3eD_jnE

(How do you embed a Youtube link?)

This post has been edited by Trick cyclist:
+Quote Post
Jaranda

Yay I'm a nutjob! Actually you'll be surprised with my candidacy, read the questions. I'm very serious about this.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Tue 1st December 2009, 11:33pm) *

Yay I'm a nutjob! Actually you'll be surprised with my candidacy, read the questions. I'm very serious about this.

Yes, you're a serious nutjob. Ma & Pa must be so proud.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(RMHED @ Tue 1st December 2009, 3:52pm) *
The complete opposite would be far superior, ArbCom should consist entirely of non-admins. This takes away any possible temptation to act as judge and jury and would act as a deterrent to the power seekers.
Indeed. And, as I've previously said, I believe Wikipedia should strip all arbcom members of their administrative powers for the duration of their service as arbitrators. Of course, this will never happen.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Tue 1st December 2009, 3:07pm) *

(How do you embed a Youtube link?)

[the word "youtube" here]your youtube code here[/the word "youtube" again]
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

+Quote Post
Seddon

Neophyte

Member No.: 9,435

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 1st December 2009, 1:12am) *

Assuming they're telling the truth about electing eight people, vote AGK, Bauder, Hersfold, Secret, Seddon, Shell Kinney, Unomi and Connelly. An Arbcom with a clear majority of undoubted nutjobs will hasten the day in which what laughably......

I am flattered but what sane person would honestly want to be on arbcom?
+Quote Post

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st December 2009, 8:59pm) *

I couldn't disagree more. In order to pass Rfa these days one has to run a PC gauntlet. A lot of potentially good candidates get thus excluded. Moreover the admin corps(e) as a whole is corrupt; loaded down with Jimbots, Cabalistas and wanna-be's. There is good reason why the number of active admins has been falling and successful Rfa's have not been keeping pace with this attrition.

We need MORE non-admins on the AC. In fact I think it is an excellent idea to have admin arbs turn in their mops while on the Comm. Sure it won't happen, but it's still a good idea.

Let's not have any delusions here.
Cla68 has stepped on far too many over-sensitive, over-powerful tootsies (he's quite fearless in that regard) to pass Rfa.
But as an Arb candidate he is without peer IMO. Yet I worry how much of a kiss o deth effect our support of him might have.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 1:01pm) *

Cla68 has stepped on far too many over-sensitive, over-powerful tootsies (he's quite fearless in that regard) to pass Rfa.
But as an Arb candidate he is without peer IMO. Yet I worry how much of a kiss o deth effect our support of him might have.

I wouldn't be surprised if those mugs rig the vote count and have Coren and Kirill re-elected by unscrupulous means. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 6:05pm) *

I wouldn't be surprised if those mugs rig the vote count and have Coren and Kirill re-elected by unscrupulous means. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

Coren and Krill we be re-elected easily by fair means.

There are, IMO, very few candidates in this let who are the type of shoe-ins who normally get elected. There's no experienced FA writers with lots of mediation experience and no battle-scars. That's indeed what makes it interesting. Last year, I'd have said someone like Cla has no chance - this year I'm not so certain.

It is also possible that very few will score over 50%, and with the latest resignation they need 9 candidates.
+Quote Post

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 6:05pm) *

Coren maybe...but not Kirill. He can win in his own right.

BTW, who the hell are these so-called Scrutineers!?
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 2:28pm) *
Stewards without en-wiki involvement, I believe.

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 2:18pm) *
There are, IMO, very few candidates in this let who are the type of shoe-ins who normally get elected. There's no experienced FA writers with lots of mediation experience and no battle-scars. That's indeed what makes it interesting. Last year, I'd have said someone like Cla has no chance - this year I'm not so certain.
I agree. I also think that last year I'd have had no chance, and indeed I was, if not relying on, at least functioning under that assumption when I decided to run.

But yeah, I'd say there are fifteen or sixteen candidates who could reasonably be elected this year, and I don't think I'd have said that about more than three or four of us last year.
+Quote Post

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 6:33pm) *

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 2:28pm) *
Stewards without en-wiki involvement, I believe.

Ah culturally clueless and with limited English...I understand now!
Kinda like unto bringing in the UN or EU to monitor US elections... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by RDH(Ghost In The Machine):
+Quote Post

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Tue 1st December 2009, 11:33pm) *

What pseudo are you using now, so I can vote against you?

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhindle

I miss the public votes and their snarky comments they came attached with.
+Quote Post

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:56pm) *

I miss the public votes and their snarky comments they came attached with.

Aye...so do I...sigh
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)

And it looks like even Whimbo does too.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

Given only one choice in this particular poll I threw the politics and self-interest out the window and went with Wehwalt since he seems like the guy that actually writes content unlike the rest of the "Professional Wiki Politicians" (PWPs - I realize most of the readership even here belongs to that category in some sense) on the list (don't know much else beside that about him). That criteria also made Cla the runner up. Basically I'm extremely annoyed by the divide between those who actually write an encyclopedia and those who don't but go around arbitratin' and administratin' those that do.

In the real poll I took some politics and self interest into consideration. Of course. And general sensibility wrt to making policy.

(Still voted for Wehwalt and Cla and I'll keep the rest of my votes to myself)

+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 6:33pm) *

Given only one choice in this particular poll I threw the politics and self-interest out the window and went with Wehwalt since he seems like the guy that actually writes content unlike the rest of the "Professional Wiki Politicians" (PWPs - I realize most of the readership even here belongs to that category in some sense) on the list (don't know much else beside that about him).

Silly lad, you don't quite get it, do you?

PWPs or not, most people here aren't interested in electing "content makers" to Arbcom.
They want someone who will tear down the busted walls, and build something else.......
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:33pm) *
Given only one choice in this particular poll I threw the politics and self-interest out the window and went with Wehwalt since he seems like the guy that actually writes content unlike the rest of the "Professional Wiki Politicians" (PWPs - I realize most of the readership even here belongs to that category in some sense) on the list (don't know much else beside that about him). That criteria also made Cla the runner up.
I don't like to be petulant, but I'm feeling a little left out, here.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:37pm) *

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 6:33pm) *

Given only one choice in this particular poll I threw the politics and self-interest out the window and went with Wehwalt since he seems like the guy that actually writes content unlike the rest of the "Professional Wiki Politicians" (PWPs - I realize most of the readership even here belongs to that category in some sense) on the list (don't know much else beside that about him).

Silly lad, you don't quite get it, do you?

PWPs or not, most people here aren't interested in electing "content makers" to Arbcom.
They want someone who will tear down the busted walls, and build something else.......

Yeah, I don't particularly care what most people, here or elsewhere, are interested in. I do see some (well, two) candidates who appear to be interested in busting down some walls and none that want to build something else. In some form or another they're part of the status quo (except the guy who showed up in May of this year I guess) and their interest in maintaining it will only get stronger if they get elected.

And how do you expect the "something else" to be any better if the people building it have no clue about what it's like to actually write an encyclopedia? The "something else" will still suck as much, just in a different way.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:39pm) *
I'm feeling a little left out, here.
Although probably not so nearly left out as Ruslik0 and his sixteen featured articles are.

This year's candidates by number of featured articles (yes, I know there's more to content than featured articles):

Cla68 - 30
Ruslik0 - 16
Wehwalt - 14
Steve Smith - 7
Kirill Lokshin - 5
Secret - 3
Jehochman - 2
Mailer diablo - 2
Fritzpoll - 1
KnightLago - 1
Seddon - 1

There are a lot more than two candidates interested in content generation.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:54pm) *

Although probably not so nearly left out as Ruslik0 and his sixteen featured articles are.

This year's candidates by number of featured articles (yes, I know there's more to content than featured articles):

Cla68 - 30
Ruslik0 - 16
Wehwalt - 14
Steve Smith - 7
Kirill Lokshin - 5
Secret - 3
Jehochman - 2
Mailer diablo - 2
Fritzpoll - 1
KnightLago - 1
Seddon - 1

I'm almost the only one who endorses you on top of the list. But quoting yourself in a post which you were feeling sorry for yourself...not cool.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:57pm) *
I'm almost the only one who endorses you on top of the list. But quoting yourself in a post which you were feeling sorry for yourself...not cool.
I'm well aware.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:39pm) *

Oh, come on, it is only a f**king game. You don't want to wind up like this poor shmuck who is taking it toooooo seriously -- to the point of talking out loud to himself (because no one really cares). (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:04pm) *
Oh, come on, it is only a f**king game.
Yes, yes, it was one of my rare moments of self-pitying thin-skinnedness. The good news is that I'm not due for another until 2013.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 8:54pm) *

Cla68 - 30
Ruslik0 - 16
Wehwalt - 14
Steve Smith - 7
Kirill Lokshin - 5
Secret - 3
Jehochman - 2
Mailer diablo - 2
Fritzpoll - 1
KnightLago - 1
Seddon - 1

Well, I'm new here so I'm not sure which one you are. But yes Ruslik's up there too, as is Steve and Kirill. And yes, I picked Wehwalt over the other two due to the 'there's more to content than featured articles' aspect of content creation. It's quite possible that Wehwalt just did a better job of advertising himself as a content creator then others (which for the purposes of the election may have been a bad thing).
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:07pm) *
Well, I'm new here so I'm not sure which one you are. But yes Ruslik's up there too, as is Steve and Kirill. And yes, I picked Wehwalt over the other two due to the 'there's more to content than featured articles' aspect of content creation. It's quite possible that Wehwalt just did a better job of advertising himself as a content creator then others (which for the purposes of the election may have been a bad thing).
Very good - in the future you might just want to shy away from such phrases as "the guy that actually writes content". In return, I'll try to shy away from behaving like a twit.

(And I'd tell you which one I am, but I think I've acquitted myself rather badly here. If you look really hard, you can probably figure it out, though.)
+Quote Post
Rhindle

I get a kick out of how FA's and GA's an author writes make someone a more qualified arbitrator. I have always thought that Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Thoreau, and other well-known writers would have made great Supreme Court Justices.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:07pm) *

Well, I'm new here so I'm not sure which one you are.

Steve is the good looking Canadian guy. Whenever Maclean's needs a hard-bodied stud on its cover, they call Steve. Serious! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:15pm) *
I get a kick out of how FA's and GA's an author writes make someone a more qualified arbitrator. I have always thought that Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Thoreau, and other well-known writers would have made great Supreme Court Justices.
You read much case law? Hemingway'd be a godsend.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:15pm) *

Oh, definitely Fitzgerald on the Supreme Court! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:17pm) *

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:15pm) *
You read much case law? Hemingway'd be a godsend.

Remand.
Concur.
Judicial economy.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:10pm) *

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:07pm) *
Very good - in the future you might just want to shy away from such phrases as "the guy that actually writes content". In return, I'll try to shy away from behaving like a twit.

(And I'd tell you which one I am, but I think I've acquitted myself rather badly here. If you look really hard, you can probably figure it out, though.)

Ah, so you made me go back and read the middle pages of this thread more carefully.

Usually I'm pretty good at avoiding these gender-specific terms when they're not appropriate though here it was meant to refer to Wehwalt who I assumed was a guy named walt. But sure, good advice.

Mostly I just wanted to pipe up and say something in support of Wehwalt who was getting no love on this thread, despite being, IMO, a very good candidate.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 10:20pm) *
Mostly I just wanted to pipe up and say something in support of Wehwalt who was getting no love on this thread, despite being, IMO, a very good candidate.

He is a good guy, but he isn't silly enough to warrant attention. The ideal candidate is smart and silly at the same time. Wehwalt has the smart part down -- he needs to work on the silly stuff. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:20pm) *
Usually I'm pretty good at avoiding these gender-specific terms when they're not appropriate though here it was meant to refer to Wehwalt who I assumed was a guy named walt. But sure, good advice.
Wehwalt actually is a guy, though I don't believe he's named Walt (he explains his username here). I was objecting to the definite article combined with the singular, rather than to the gender.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:15pm) *

Not a good analogy. If the only purpose of the United States of America were to write as many Great American Novels as possible, then yes, they would have made great Supreme Court Justices.

Point being, the reason why they wouldn't in reality, is that because in reality the Supreme Court adjudicates a very diverse society whose only "purpose" is something like "pursuit of happiness" or whatever. Wikipedia on the other hand has a much more narrow, specific purpose - write an encyclopedia.

A better analogy would be something like a regulator of a particular industry - got to pick somebody who at least has some clue how the widgets are made. Or here's another, crazier, one; chaplain on a ship out at sea - definitely need somebody who understands the travails of ordinary sailors, not some stinkin' land rat.

+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 3:39am) *

Given only one choice in this particular poll I threw the politics and self-interest out the window and went with Wehwalt since he seems like the guy that actually writes content unlike the rest of the "Professional Wiki Politicians" (PWPs - I realize most of the readership even here belongs to that category in some sense) on the list (don't know much else beside that about him). That criteria also made Cla the runner up.

Actively participating in this thread without making one of the pledges suggests that you are unwilling to make them. If that's the case, you (and a few others!) will have one more oppose vote in your tally.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:38pm) *
Actively participating in this thread without making one of the pledges suggests that you are unwilling to make them. If that's the case, you (and a few others!) will have one more oppose vote in your tally.
You are correct. And I don't mind opposes; I do, apparently, mind opposes that stem from a belief that I'm not interested in writing content.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:27pm) *

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:20pm) *
Wehwalt actually is a guy, though I don't believe he's named Walt (he explains his username here). I was objecting to the definite article combined with the singular, rather than to the gender.

Ok, "one of the folks" then. Blame it on the fact that the WR poll lets you choose only one folk.

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 9:40pm) *

I do, apparently, mind opposes that stem from a belief that I'm not interested in writing content.

I didn't mean to suggest that (nor that I 'opposed' everyone but him in the actual voting) - I only meant to suggest that Wehwalt seemed MORE content oriented than others. Again, here we only get to choose one and apparently I'm the only one who chose him. Which seemed weird to me.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd December 2009, 11:44pm) *
I didn't mean to suggest that (nor that I 'opposed' everyone but him in the actual voting) - I only meant to suggest that Wehwalt seemed MORE content oriented than others. Again, here we only get to choose one and apparently I'm the only one who chose him. Which seemed weird to me.
No, I understand, we're good. I apologize for the shitheadery; it's unlike me (or so I like to think).
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 4:40am) *

You are correct. And I don't mind opposes; I do, apparently, mind opposes that stem from a belief that I'm not interested in writing content.

So you're actually taking some positions here as a candidate: you're opposed to ArbCom transparency, and you're in favor of me getting run over by a dump truck (again). I guess I have to at least give you a point for honesty.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 12:25am) *
So you're actually taking some positions here as a candidate: you're opposed to ArbCom transparency, and you're in favor of me getting run over by a dump truck (again). I guess I have to at least give you a point for honesty.
1. I'm opposed to the degree of transparency that I understand you to be asking for, yes. I think this David Gerard case is one in which, with the benefit of hindsight, ArbCom probably should have been somewhat less open about its deliberations.

2. I'm fairly up on the situation that led to your desysop. I'm much less up on the Phil Sandifer situation. If I'm elected and the situation comes up, I'll evaluate it at that time (or recuse, if you feel that I couldn't be impartial given our interactions here). I'm certainly not going to go promising specific votes on cases that may or may not come up.

3. I have not stopped beating my wife.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 3:38am) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 3:39am) *

I already stated in my answers to the questions on my candidate page that I was committed to openness. I've made it clear that I don't think you have been treated fairly in the past, but the most recent ArbCom ruling on your situation seemed reasonable to me. So, I guess I can't make the pledge that you're looking for.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 6:27am) *

I already stated in my answers to the questions on my candidate page that I was committed to openness. I've made it clear that I don't think you have been treated fairly in the past, but the most recent ArbCom ruling on your situation seemed reasonable to me. So, I guess I can't make the pledge that you're looking for.

You never addressed my question about RfA. Why is it that you've never run again?
+Quote Post
MBisanz

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st December 2009, 9:59pm) *

It is probably worth noting the bar for election to arbcom is around 50% and the bar for election to adminship is still at the 70-75% range, so for him it is probably about the same odds if not easier for arbcom.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 7:07am) *

You never addressed my question about RfA. Why is it that you've never run again?

No one who has offered to nominate me has followed through and actually posted the nomination. I'm not upset about it. If I really wanted to try to be an admin I'm sure I could have just asked enough people until I found someone willing and able to follow through.

In my answers to the questions on my candidate page, I stated that I felt that having admin privileges was necessary for the position. Thinking about it more, however, I realize that whenever I've wanted or needed to read an admin deleted page or needed admin assistance in some other way, I've never had any trouble finding a helpful admin to provide assistance. So, if I'm elected and the Committee decides not to grant me admin privileges, I don't think that will be a big deal.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Some People are apparently not getting the Joke …

Hey! All You People not getting the Joke —

+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

My interview with Cla68: Ogg, MP3
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 9:00am) *

Phooey! No talk about the real issues: Tiger Woods' girlfriends, breast implants, blondes versus brunettes versus redheads, etc. What kind of interview is this? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 2:00pm) *

Looks like a couple of editors didn't approve of the interview.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 11:23am) *

No one who has offered to nominate me has followed through and actually posted the nomination. I'm not upset about it. If I really wanted to try to be an admin I'm sure I could have just asked enough people until I found someone willing and able to follow through.

In my answers to the questions on my candidate page, I stated that I felt that having admin privileges was necessary for the position. Thinking about it more, however, I realize that whenever I've wanted or needed to read an admin deleted page or needed admin assistance in some other way, I've never had any trouble finding a helpful admin to provide assistance. So, if I'm elected and the Committee decides not to grant me admin privileges, I don't think that will be a big deal.

That seems reasonable. I think someone should be an admin before becoming an arbitrator, although it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if someone was otherwise a good candidate. Another question, though: why do you think it's reasonable for the ArbCom to classify me as some kind of stalker? Do you seriously believe I've done anything to warrant that? If any kind of "restraining order" were necessary, don't you think a mutual restriction would be more reasonable in light of the history?
+Quote Post
wjhonson

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 6:00am) *

Dan, ban "Ah" from your vocabulary.
Since a few poo poo heads didn't want the link exposed anywhere useful, I've linked you up here

Wikipedia Arbcom Elections 2009 -- My Picks

Your public demands a transcript.

This post has been edited by wjhonson:
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 9:39pm) *

That seems reasonable. I think someone should be an admin before becoming an arbitrator, although it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if someone was otherwise a good candidate. Another question, though: why do you think it's reasonable for the ArbCom to classify me as some kind of stalker? Do you seriously believe I've done anything to warrant that? If any kind of "restraining order" were necessary, don't you think a mutual restriction would be more reasonable in light of the history?

Remember, ArbCom has placed a similar restriction on me also. They should have given the same restriction to the the other guy that they placed on you. It's too late for that now.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(wjhonson @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 3:54pm) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 6:00am) *

Dan, ban "Ah" from your vocabulary.

Won't help if it's being used as a verbal placeholder, to gain time to think.

What about...erm...?

If it's between sentences, or used as a preface, sometimes I've heard an attorney usefully replace "Uhh" with "Now..."

This sounds much more professional, for some reason.

"Now... moving on with the questioning, Mr. Smith... do you have any idea what I'm billing for this turkey of a depo?" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 10:23am) *

Actually, admin and all other Power Bits should be summarily stripped from everyone who serves as an arbitrator. If they want them, just give 'em back when they leave.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 7:08am) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 9:00am) *

Phooey! No talk about the real issues: Tiger Woods' girlfriends, breast implants, blondes versus brunettes versus redheads, etc. What kind of interview is this? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

http://www.popeater.com/2009/12/02/tiger-woods-women/

Where is that Tiger thread? Here comes his 15 minutes of public prostate exam. Or perhaps longer.

Needed: SNL General Motors commercial where "Tiger" is trying to escape from half a dozen blonde zombies, all armed with 3-irons.

"Quick, to the Pontiac, Batman! No, not the Escalade-- the faster one! No, not the fire hydrant...! "

<crash> <smash>

Time for meditation.... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 4th December 2009, 12:08am) *

Remember, ArbCom has placed a similar restriction on me also. They should have given the same restriction to the the other guy that they placed on you. It's too late for that now.

Too late? They can change it at any time. If the 2009 (or 2010) ArbCom wants to reaffirm what the 2005 ArbCom did, then I will hold the 2009 (or 2010) ArbCom responsible for it just as if they'd made the original ruling. The 2005 ArbCom is gone (well, maybe not entirely gone, since the ghost of Kelly Martin still haunts this forum (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif))--any restrictions currently in place are entirely the responsibility of the currently sitting arbitrators. As an aspiring arbitrator, you should understand that. Are you saying it's "reasonable" to continue to impose a punishment even while acknowledging that the original decision to impose the punishment was in error?
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 11:08pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 9:39pm) *

I voted that I wasn't going to "vote" in the ArbCom elections, but you may just have changed my mind. It's about time that ArbCom wasn't the sole preserve of administrators.
+Quote Post

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 9:23pm) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 2:00pm) *

Looks like a couple of editors didn't approve of the interview.

Further evidence that Wikivoices has been hijacked and turned into another propaganda tool.
(don't think that Harvester Boris, groks the irony of his stance either).

We need an alternative, comrades...since we cannot, yet, take back our "pedia", let's at least take back our "radio".
+Quote Post
wjhonson

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 4:13pm) *

"Now... moving on with the questioning, Mr. Smith... do you have any idea what I'm billing for this turkey of a depo?" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

Mr Roe did you uh, did you uh, did you uh... know that the focus of this here uh, this uh, this investigation would be on your uh, your uh sexual problems?

On another note, to DTobias, I loved the ending of the interview with Fred. And now it's linked up on my page. Why isn't the link to a WikiVoices page? Did they shut you down for being too aggressive in your line of questioning?

By the way, I've now given Fred a neutral (don't hit me, stop hitting me!) and given Fritz a thumbs up.

This post has been edited by wjhonson:
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Well, the voting is done and its all over. I'm now able to announce the results right here:

Elected to a two-year term:

Cla69
Steve Smith
Kmwebber
RMHED
Fred Bauder

Elected to a one-year term:

Fritzpoll
Sir Fozzie
William M. Connelley

Congratulations to our virtual winners.

The organising cabal

+Quote Post
Lar

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 16th December 2009, 4:16pm) *

Well, the voting is done and its all over. I'm now able to announce the results right here:

Cla69

Awesome, that user wasn't even one of the choices. I knew the thing was rigged.

Either that or you're just off by one.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 16th December 2009, 8:20pm) *

Cla69

I hate to think what Freud would say...
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 16th December 2009, 1:16pm) *

Cla69
Steve Smith
Kmwebber
RMHED
Fred Bauder

Who the devil is Kmwebber (T-C-L-K-R-D) ?
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

Dr. Connolley really hates it when folks misspell his name, though Kurt could probably give a shit less.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 16th December 2009, 8:26pm) *

Dr. Connolley really hates it when folks misspell his name, though Kurt could probably give a shit less.

Damn these scrutineers....

OK, what would it take to bribe Jimbo to announce the real results here first.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 16th December 2009, 3:29pm) *

Damn these scrutineers …

I heard it on the Gropevine that he does a lot of Mandating, but No True Scotsman wants to know the answer to that question.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 16th December 2009, 8:38pm) *

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 16th December 2009, 3:29pm) *

Damn these scrutineers …

I heard it on the Gropevine that he does a lot of Mandating, but No True Scotsman wants to know the answer to that question.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

I don't know about the mandating, but we've had some poet.. pretty girls on this site who could ask him nicely.
+Quote Post
Lar

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 16th December 2009, 4:43pm) *

I don't know about the mandating, but we've had some poet.. pretty girls on this site who could ask him nicely.

29 User(s) are reading this topic (18 Guests and 7 Anonymous Users)
4 Members: A Horse With No Name, Nerd, Seddon, privatemusings

Nuff said.
+Quote Post
SirFozzie

Ãœber Member

Hate you, Doc. *laughs*

(and no, I haven't heard anything yet either)
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Thu 3rd December 2009, 7:22pm) *

Actually, admin and all other Power Bits should be summarily stripped from everyone who serves as an arbitrator. If they want them, just give 'em back when they leave.

We (the arbitrators) need access to administrator tools such as the ability to review deleted contributions in order to decide some of the cases. Some arbs also do a lot of the checkuser and oversight work, partly because it becomes relevant to cases and partly because we've already been elected and therefore have the community trust necessary to these assignments.

One could make an argument that arbitrators shouldn't use their tools for routine administrator work during their tenure as arbitrators. As a practical matter, there are only so many hours in the wiki-day and I don't think many arbs spend lots of time doing usual admin tasks such as closing XfDs, patrolling AIV, resolving issues on ANI, and the like. (This is partly because of time limitations and partly because of the desire to reduce the potential number of recusal situations.) On the other hand, if I see a blatant vandal doing damage or a ridiculously inappropriate page posted, I don't think it would add any value if I had to report it to another administrator rather than deal with it myself, just because I happen to also be an arbitrator.

This post has been edited by Newyorkbrad:
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 16th December 2009, 3:23pm) *

QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 16th December 2009, 8:20pm) *

Cla69

I hate to think what Freud would say...

What would Freud say about Wikipedia election officials being called "scrutineers?" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

Seriously, you guys need to change the name to like "election monitors" or "election supervisors." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)