FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
-

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 
EricBarbour

blah

Group: Regulars

about Wikipedia becoming an "important educational resource".

Because it already is. Read this guy's rant.

My main hobby is myself. Improving myself, educating myself, trying to be more than I am. To that end I've been (too lightly) pursuing education (tons of wikipedia reading followed by those books that catch my attention mostly), meditation (mantrayoga mostly), and attempting to take control of my emotions (as the drug and alcohol abusing adult child with three dead children of an abusive drug addict/alcholic that tried twice to kill me (loooooong story), I have a lot of emotional problems).

Would anyone like to go and tell that poor guy he's asking for trouble by making an "education" for himself by reading WP articles?
He'll end up being an expert on anime and manga, and ignorant of anything important.....

That is Wikipedia's primary cohort.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 17,141

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 12th March 2012, 9:09am) *

My main hobby is myself. Improving myself, educating myself, trying to be more than I am. To that end I've been (too lightly) pursuing education (tons of wikipedia reading followed by those books that catch my attention mostly), meditation (mantrayoga mostly), and attempting to take control of my emotions (as the drug and alcohol abusing adult child with three dead children of an abusive drug addict/alcholic that tried twice to kill me (loooooong story), I have a lot of emotional problems).

Would anyone like to go and tell that poor guy he's asking for trouble by making an "education" for himself by reading WP articles?
He'll end up being an expert on anime and manga, and ignorant of anything important.....

Shouldn't that be part of an adult's self-education, to figure out what is right and what is wrong? He's more likely to benefit from it if he comes to his own conclusions rather than being spoon-fed someone else's
+Quote Post
Mister Die

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 9:26am) *

Shouldn't that be part of an adult's self-education, to figure out what is right and what is wrong? He's more likely to benefit from it if he comes to his own conclusions rather than being spoon-fed someone else's
Wikipedia is parading itself around as a reliable information resource. It is not. Journalists, radio personalities, students, teachers, and all sorts of notable figures have gotten their 'information' from Wikipedia and have cited falsehoods just because they happened to be on Wikipedia and looked legit.

Reading real encyclopedias if you want to gain basic knowledge on many subjects is fine. Reading tons and tons of Wikipedia articles with nothing else is quite different.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Mister Die @ Mon 12th March 2012, 12:15pm) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 9:26am) *

Wikipedia is parading itself around as a reliable information resource. It is not. Journalists, radio personalities, students, teachers, and all sorts of notable figures have gotten their 'information' from Wikipedia and have cited falsehoods just because they happened to be on Wikipedia and looked legit.

Reading real encyclopedias if you want to gain basic knowledge on many subjects is fine. Reading tons and tons of Wikipedia articles with nothing else is quite different.

Which I'm sure he'll find out for himself eventually.

I get the impression that he's more a perpetually bored person who clicks on "random article" (as I do from time to time) and then see how far that takes him.

In any case if he's only doing it for his own self-edification then no-harm no foul.

It's conjecture to say just how inaccurate WP actually is anyway, so all comments similar to yours are based on that conjecture.

Has anyone ever done fact finding mission to find out how accurate WP is compared to a dead tree encyclopaedia such as Encyclopaedia Britannica?
+Quote Post
Detective

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 12:35pm) *

Has anyone ever done fact finding mission to find out how accurate WP is compared to a dead tree encyclopaedia such as Encyclopaedia Britannica?

Yes, quite a few times. The most famous appeared in the journal Nature and concluded that scientific articles on WP were about as reliable as EB. I believe that there were serious flaws in that study, and anyway scientific articles tend to be better than in some other areas, notably recent history.

Edit: Further point:
Of course, if someone actually lists errors, they are soon corrected and Wikipedians can say "See, Wikipedia is always improving." They may also berate the study author for reporting errors rather than correcting them.

This post has been edited by Detective:
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 12th March 2012, 5:09am) *

(IMG:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/tarc0917/phdwiki.jpg)
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 12th March 2012, 1:16pm) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 12th March 2012, 5:09am) *

(IMG:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/tarc0917/phdwiki.jpg)

So, in your humble opinion, what should he be?
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 10:54am) *

If he wants more out of life than being a radio shack cashier and a regular poster of "Muff Wiggler", he should probably invest in some form of legitimate education. Self-teaching is fine, but self-teaching oneself via free internet encyclopedias is not going to fill him with much useful knowledge.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 12th March 2012, 3:32pm) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 10:54am) *

If he wants more out of life than being a radio shack cashier and a regular poster of "Muff Wiggler", he should probably invest in some form of legitimate education. Self-teaching is fine, but self-teaching oneself via free internet encyclopedias is not going to fill him with much useful knowledge.

That's a tad arrogant don't you think? Deciding what he should do/be, based what you think is right.

The correct answer to the question was "I don't know".

+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 11:41am) *
That's a tad arrogant don't you think? Deciding what he should do/be, based what you think is right.

Jesus, you're such a bleeding-heart pinhead. We're discussing some kitten-lover who thinks he's educating himself by reading Wikipedia articles. I find the idea to be absurd, as what you're going to gain from just reading encyclopedia entries is an inconsequential accumulation of facts.

If you want wishy-washy handholding "suggestions" or "advice" that takes into account the person's happy bunny thoughts and feelings, goto facebook and chat with the rest of the "Kony 2012" hipsters who think they're actually accomplishing something. You asked me a question, I answered directly. A concept anathema to your type, I know.

If you already know...or in your case, think you know...the answer, don't waste our time asking at all.

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 12th March 2012, 4:24pm) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 11:41am) *

Jesus, you're such a bleeding-heart pinhead. We're discussing some kitten-lover who thinks he's educating himself by reading Wikipedia articles. I find the idea to be absurd, as what you're going to gain from just reading encyclopedia entries is an inconsequential accumulation of facts.

If you want wishy-washy handholding "suggestions" or "advice" that takes into account the person's happy bunny thoughts and feelings, goto facebook and chat with the rest of the "Kony 2012" hipsters who think they're actually accomplishing something. You asked me a question, I answered directly. A concept anathema to your type, I know.

I wanted to gauge your mindset. Now I've got it.

If you already know...or in your case, think you know...the answer, don't waste our time asking at all.

Of course I knew the answer, I wanted to know if you did.

A spectacular fail I may say.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 12:47pm) *

Says the person who thinks some neckbeard can actually become knowledgeable of, say, philosophy (T-H-L-K-D) by spending his free time reading the Wikipedia page?

(IMG:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/tarc0917/anim/rotfl.gif)

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 12th March 2012, 6:18pm) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 12:47pm) *

Says the person who thinks some neckbeard can actually become knowledgeable of, say, philosophy (T-H-L-K-D) by spending his free time reading the Wikipedia page?

(IMG:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/tarc0917/rotfl.gif)

I didn't say anything of the sort.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 2:21pm) *

Careful, I hear backpedaling is a dangerous activity.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 12th March 2012, 6:22pm) *

So is outright lying.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 3:16pm) *

So is outright lying.

Perhaps you should, y'know, stop lying then.

Barbour highlighted a humorous story about some poor sod trying to get himself ed-u-ma-kated via Wikipedia reading. You argued with him, I posted a pic poking fun at the aforementioned sod, You asked what I think he should do. I replied as to how I'd direct him towards an actual educational institution, and a that point you threw a temper tantrum because you didn't like me "telling him what to do" and that "I don't know" would have been the Golden Answer™.

Do you have anything else to add?
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 12th March 2012, 7:59pm) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 3:16pm) *

So is outright lying.

Perhaps you should, y'know, stop lying then.

Barbour highlighted a humorous story about some poor sod trying to get himself ed-u-ma-kated via Wikipedia reading. You argued with him, I posted a pic poking fun at the aforementioned sod, You asked what I think he should do. I replied as to how I'd direct him towards an actual educational institution, and a that point you threw a temper tantrum because you didn't like me "telling him what to do" and that "I don't know" would have been the Golden Answer™.

Do you have anything else to add?

None of which equates even remotely to...

Says the person who thinks some neckbeard can actually become knowledgeable of, say, philosophy by spending his free time reading the Wikipedia page?

+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 4:02pm) *

So I offer something concrete to a question posed, while you backpedal even further to non sequitirs.

Better luck next time, kiddo.

+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 12th March 2012, 9:36pm) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 12th March 2012, 4:02pm) *

So I offer something concrete to a question posed, while you backpedal even further to non sequitirs.

Better luck next time, kiddo.

You forgot to flush after your post.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Now we know why most want to send you down to the dungeons along with Ottava.

Cheerio.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)