FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Breivik -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Breivik
FightingMac

Group: Contributors

Anyone know what Breivik's user name was on the Norwegian wiki? Whether his posts are still available to research (if not why not?). I want to see how extreme he was and what Wikipedia's response was (cordially welcoming in jolly good faith is my guess).

Still haven't found if MuZemike belongs to a Tea Party BTW. I'm considering ordering a wet job anyway just in case. Well you can never be too careful.

{*Fuck, I nearly put four tildes after that ...*}
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 24,428

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Pentagon_shooting

John Patrick Bedell (JPatrickBedell) was a Wikipedian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr.../JPatrickBedell

Wikipedia is apparently a magnet for crazies obsessed with conspiracy / fringe theories.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Tue 17th April 2012, 8:37pm) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Pentagon_shooting

John Patrick Bedell (JPatrickBedell) was a Wikipedian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr.../JPatrickBedell

Wikipedia is apparently a magnet for crazies obsessed with conspiracy / fringe theories.

So that's why Kohs does what he does eh?
+Quote Post
FightingMac

[quote name='Michaeldsuarez' post='304310' date='Tue 17th April 2012, 10:37pm'][quote] (snip) ...
[/quote]

Yes, I do agree. My problem with it are all the fucknuts with 100,000 plus edits who welcome them in (you would thought by that time some reality had sunk in).

Thanks for this, I'll check it out.

This post has been edited by FightingMac:
+Quote Post
Text

What does he do?
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Text @ Tue 17th April 2012, 9:44pm) *

What does he do?

Stalks Jimbo from what I can see, or at least obsesses over him
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

This is really quite sad. We all saw it coming for a long time, but here we have real world fatalities as a result of Wikipedia.

Obviously the guy was obsessed with "Battlefield Wikipedia" as he wrote in his manifesto. Staying up late at night, reading articles about demographic changes in Europe and getting picked on by other nerds probably egged on his hate and paranoia.

Wikipedia strives mightily to dehumanize people and categorize them as mere widgets in shoeboxes, as you have races and ethnicities handily catalogued in a format that would be instantly recognized by the Social Darwinists of the early 20th century. Want to know the percentage of Kurds in Turkey, or the religion of some famous person, or whether they had a Jewish grandparent, it's all right there. Yes, it's factual, sort of, but it's really a sort of antiquated kind of thinking that talks about people that way. Wikipedia should be better than that.

No, I'm not blaming this 100% on Wikipedia but I think if this individual had picked a different hobby he'd probably have been in a less homicidal state of mind.
+Quote Post
Fusion

QUOTE(Text @ Tue 17th April 2012, 8:44pm) *

What does he do?

I do wonder what he does. I have wondered since he admitted that he did not know what data fusion is although it is a common tool in market research. I am now told, if I understand another thread correctly, that he is not familiar with Nielsen, the World's largest market research firm, or at least with their subordinate Nielsen Media Research (T-H-L-K-D). Would it not be funny if he is not whom he claims?

+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/offtopic.gif)
+Quote Post
FightingMac

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 18th April 2012, 2:45am) *

This is really quite sad. We all saw it coming for a long time, but here we have real world fatalities as a result of Wikipedia.

No, I'm not blaming this 100% on Wikipedia but I think if this individual had picked a different hobby he'd probably have been in a less homicidal state of mind.

Yes, that's my guess too. Presumably there was a serious element of disassociation involved as well, after a year of editing Wikipedia obsessively (did he claim 15,000 hours?) and playing "World of Warcraft".

I take it that sooner or later a source will apear analysing his contributions to Wikipedia? I really want to study that, and especially his interaction with the community.
+Quote Post
Fusion

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 18th April 2012, 1:30pm) *

Fair enough. Can some kind mod split it off please?
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(FightingMac @ Wed 18th April 2012, 10:12am) *

Yes, that's my guess too. Presumably there was a serious element of disassociation involved as well, after a year of editing Wikipedia obsessively (did he claim 15,000 hours?) and playing "World of Warcraft".

I take it that sooner or later a source will apear analysing his contributions to Wikipedia? I really want to study that, and especially his interaction with the community.

Back when I edited regularly (years ago), I came across some creepy white supremacist types. The place is full of them. Subtle ones and not so subtle. We've really only scratched the surface of how Wikipedia is being used as a platform to spread hate and recruit young people into that culture.
+Quote Post
FightingMac

QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 19th April 2012, 4:55am) *

Back when I edited regularly (years ago), I came across some creepy white supremacist types. The place is full of them. Subtle ones and not so subtle. We've really only scratched the surface of how Wikipedia is being used as a platform to spread hate and recruit young people into that culture.

Yes, I agree. That's why it's so important that Breivik's interaction with Wikipedia is made public for all to scrutinise.
+Quote Post
timbo

QUOTE(Emperor @ Tue 17th April 2012, 4:45pm) *

This is really quite sad. We all saw it coming for a long time, but here we have real world fatalities as a result of Wikipedia. * * *

Jesus, talk about false causation...

Wikipedia doesn't cause fascist mass murderers, even though at least one fascist mass murderer has edited at Wikipedia. You think the photo of this thug preening in front of a camera with an automatic rifle and wearing a "Marxist Hunter" patch before shooting up a bunch of kids at a Social Democratic youth camp was avoidable if only he "had picked a different hobby." HA! Yeah, right.

Here's today's newspaper quote from this asswipe: "No, I am not a child murderer. If you take up membership in a political party and seek a leadership position, then you have chosen."

Gosh, if only he had limited himself to reading Encyclopedia Britannica, none of this would have happened!!!

Fucking stupid comment...

tim
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(timbo @ Fri 20th April 2012, 2:30pm) *
Gosh, if only he had limited himself to reading Encyclopedia Britannica, none of this would have happened!!!

Fucking stupid comment...

Overstated/exaggerated, yes, but "fucking stupid," no. It would be more accurate to say that Wikipedia activity (particularly on contentious topics) exacerbates narcissistic tendencies in certain individuals, to the point where they might develop into full-blown sociopathy.

In that sense, the term "certain individuals" would refer to someone who not only has latent-sociopathic traits, but also lacks other talents or abilities that might lead him or her in a direction that would be more socially positive/constructive (i.e., art, scholarship, invention, possibly athletics, etc.) and away from directions that are less socially constructive (politics, religious extremism, high finance). The reason we say that Wikipedia is "fundamentally irresponsible" is that the people running such a website must know (unless they're complete idiots, which I'll admit is a possibility) that while most of the user-participants will still be in the former category, the number of people in the latter category will be significantly higher than what you'd find in the general population, simply because the proportion of narcissists in general will be much higher.

It's also important to note that Wikipedia edit-warring gives people a means of practicing the mental gyrations required to develop sociopathic ideologies, the way a baseball player practices by spending hours in a batting cage - whereas a non-editable information source would not do that.

So, Mr. Emperor may be off-base in implying that Wikipedianism was the cause of Breivik's murder-spree, but if all he really meant was that Wikipedianism probably contributed to it, I personally don't think that's especially off-base at all.

This post has been edited by Somey:
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 20th April 2012, 4:17pm) *

So, Mr. Emperor may be off-base in implying that Wikipedianism was the cause of Breivik's murder-spree, but if all he really meant was that Wikipedianism probably contributed to it, I personally don't think that's especially off-base at all.

Well, yes, though I think you're being generous with the hyperliteral-minded Wikipedian and his "fucking stupid" comment. The way their little brains work, they find some phrase like "as a result of", interpret it as a chance to oversimplify, and then blast away at the argument they themselves create.

Timbo sounds like a good Wikipedia gamer, probably can't wait to get in his zingers, sign those four tildas, and wait for a response from some equally-addicted and pathetic loser somewhere.
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

Wikipedia gives convenience with one hand and takes sanity with the other. Underneath its library of casual explanations lies a demonic hate site, where the angry and bloodthirsty drag sleeping dogs and bring them back to life. There is endless hate out there that can be reanimated until nothing else is left. WP is the eternal battleground, designed to 're-spawn' every dying warrior. And it's becoming so much like a newspaper that editors all over the globe are forced to read it. How many of them lose site of the chicken and egg?
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

He did what he did because he's a fucking nutter, not because of Wikipedia, or because of video games, or because he only started wanking when he was 16 or because the wind was blowing from the wrong direction on any given day.

He's a sociopath, he has bats in the belfry, he's a teacake short of a picnic, his lift doesn't go all the way to the top floor...etc.

Sheesh. I wish people would stop looking beyond the obvious to blame something they personally don't like.

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 20th April 2012, 11:41pm) *

Wikipedia gives convenience with one hand and takes sanity with the other. Underneath its library of casual explanations lies a demonic hate site, where the angry and bloodthirsty drag sleeping dogs and bring them back to life. There is endless hate out there that can be reanimated until nothing else is left. WP is the eternal battleground, designed to 're-spawn' every dying warrior. And it's becoming so much like a newspaper that editors all over the globe are forced to read it. How many of them lose site of the chicken and egg?

Don't talk like a cunt.

Wikipedia is a geek's version of Facebook. Nothing more, nothing less.
+Quote Post
Text

2001-2003: Original users
2004-2006: Old users
2007-2010: New users
2011-?: Cancerous users
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Text @ Sat 21st April 2012, 12:22am) *

2001-2003: Original users
2004-2006: Old users
2007-2010: New users
2011-?: Cancerous users

Nah, 2011-?: Late to the party lusers.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)