FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Death of Osama bin Laden -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Death of Osama bin Laden, ten years later ...
melloden

Group: Contributors

Death of Osama bin Laden (T-H-L-K-D)

Twatty AfDers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(melloden @ Sun 1st May 2011, 10:59pm) *

Twatty AfDers.

I'm surprised that "Osama bin Laden's death conspiracy theories" isn't up yet. I mean, it's about time!
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(melloden @ Sun 1st May 2011, 11:59pm) *

Twatty AfDers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...Osama_bin_Laden

The nominator was arguing that the information on OBL's death should be merged to his biography, not deleted. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

What's the saying? "Get your facts straight first, then distort them as you please."

The good news though is that OBL's biography is no longer under BLP protection now. Unleash the vandals!

+Quote Post
Silver seren

Ugh, stupid IP addresses keep putting stupid stuff in the article and the talk page. Nothing new there, but there's way more than i've ever seen.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 1:47am) *

Ugh, stupid IP addresses keep putting stupid stuff in the article and the talk page. Nothing new there, but there's way more than i've ever seen.

It appears the article was protected from exactly that shortly before you posted this.

I dunno, I guess if someone's death is a Really Big Hairy Deal™ like this one is, then they might as well have a separate article, though it does seem a little... inelegant, such that it could conceivably be interpreted as a clearly US/UK-dominated group of "internet people" just gloating. Not that anyone is likely to care...

Still, if you look at other examples, they're either not much help or somewhat contradictory. For instance, Death of a Salesman (T-H-L-K-D) is a highly extensive article, but Salesman is nothing but a redirect. Likewise, The Death of Ivan Ilyich (T-H-L-K-D) is also extensive, whereas Ivan Ilyich is actually a redirect to the very same article.

I suppose a better comparison might be made to the Death of John Lennon (T-H-L-K-D), which is about half as long as the article on Lennon himself... except John Lennon wasn't the leader of a massive international terrorist network. Luigi Galleani (T-H-L-K-D) was the leader of such a network, but there's no separate article on his death - but that's probably because he died of a heart attack. Andreas Baader (T-H-L-K-D) was an international terrorist, but he wasn't really the leader of a massive network... but he committed suicide in prison to avoid execution, so that's probably not too encyclopedic. If he'd committed suicide in prison to avoid watching Doctor Who reruns, then maybe...

Anyway, I guess it really doesn't matter in the end.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=427024621

Sigh... no one bothers to read the news and understand that the man died a week ago... NOT on May 2 (today)! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)
+Quote Post
Silver seren

Not a week ago, but April 29th in the morning, apparently.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 3:25am) *

Ahhh, so it was his ghost I saw in the wee-hours while I was taking a shower! Well, now I know why he looked so pissed off.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 12:58am) *

I suppose a better comparison might be made to the Death of John Lennon (T-H-L-K-D), which is about half as long as the article on Lennon himself... except John Lennon wasn't the leader of a massive international terrorist network. Luigi Galleani (T-H-L-K-D) was the leader of such a network, but there's no separate article on his death - but that's probably because he died of a heart attack. Andreas Baader (T-H-L-K-D) was an international terrorist, but he wasn't really the leader of a massive network... but he committed suicide in prison to avoid execution, so that's probably not too encyclopedic. If he'd committed suicide in prison to avoid watching Doctor Who reruns, then maybe...

Anyway, I guess it really doesn't matter in the end.

There will surely be enough info on the operation itself to merit an article. Hell, there will be books about it, because it was a tough 10 year operation, and the endgame was 8 months.

The article on the death of JFK itself has subarticles. Bin Laden won't get that much.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 1:32am) *

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 3:25am) *

Ahhh, so it was his ghost I saw in the wee-hours while I was taking a shower! Well, now I know why he looked so pissed off.

Did he look like Akmed, the Dead Terrorist?

+Quote Post
mauve

Neophyte

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 12:25am) *

April 29th was when Obama decided to go ahead with the operation. It actually happened on May 1st.

From the BBC:
On Sunday a team of US forces undertook the operation in Abbottabad, 100km (62 miles) north-east of Islamabad.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

On Sunday a team of US forces undertook the operation in Abbottabad, 100km (62 miles) north-east of Islamabad.

Or to paraphrase Lou Costello, Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Abbottabad! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Silver seren

QUOTE(mauve @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 8:41am) *

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 12:25am) *

April 29th was when Obama decided to go ahead with the operation. It actually happened on May 1st.

From the BBC:

Yeah, I figured that out. Of course, the Death article didn't state that at the time, I had to look within the reference about April 29th.

Now, the issue is whether we're going to say May 1st or May 2nd. I would say 1st, since that was the day over here, while it was May 2nd over there. And this is English Wikipedia and not the Arabic version.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 4:02am) *
Now, the issue is whether we're going to say May 1st or May 2nd. I would say 1st, since that was the day over here, while it was May 2nd over there. And this is English Wikipedia and not the Arabic version.

You should have it say "April 31st," just to add to the confusion.

Besides, what's wrong with UTC? It's Universal, remember? And if you don't use that, you're supposed to use the local time - there are rules for this sort of thing, though I suspect most people on Wikipedia don't know about things like that.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 9:02am) *

Or to paraphrase Lou Costello, Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Abbottabad! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Speaking of magic bullets, why not Frank Costello (the 54th anniversary of whose assassination attempt it now happens to be)?

Also speaking of anniversaries, see [1]. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 9:02am) *

I believe that English is the language used and has no bearing on time issues.

You could try making the case for all dates and times to be recorded in UTC to avoid confusion, but I'm sure that would cause no end of argument about how it would just confuse people. And some really entertaining discussions about UTC versus GMT and why each is best.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 5:02am) *

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the spelling of the location this morning, and the second thing I thought was, "Horsey's definitely going to make a joke about that on WR."
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 1:33am) *

The article on the death of JFK itself has subarticles. Bin Laden won't get that much.
Yes, there is no article on the Death of Lee Harvey Oswald.

It's interesting to note that a mention of the killing of bin Laden now appears in Barack Obama (T-H-L-K-D), immediately prior to the sentence about Obama announcing his re-election campaign. U-S-A! U-S-A!
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 2:44pm) *

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the spelling of the location this morning

This is rather a sad thing, but this is the second Important World News Item that I first heard from Wikipedia Review.
+Quote Post
Silver seren

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 2:38pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 2nd May 2011, 1:33am) *

Yes, there is no article on the Death of Lee Harvey Oswald.

It's interesting to note that a mention of the killing of bin Laden now appears in Barack Obama (T-H-L-K-D), immediately prior to the sentence about Obama announcing his re-election campaign. U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'll see if I can do something about that.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)