FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
What will kill Citizendium? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> What will kill Citizendium?
Rating  5
Nicholas Carr

RSS Feed Reader

Group: Bots

Wikipedia is nothing if not a forum for interminable pissing matches, ... Wikipedia today has more layers of bureaucracy than the average Fortune 500 company and ... What "will kill Citizendium," he writes, is that, unlike Wikipedia, ...

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2006/09/...xpertfocuse.php
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

I think it's obvious that Citizendium will be killed by brain-sucking zombie threads.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 29th July 2009, 12:46pm) *

I think it's obvious that Citizendium will be killed by brain-sucking zombie threads.

Citizendium had every opportunity to learn from WP, and to simply copy the things that WP does right, and which make it grow. Contrary to popular belief, not all of these are the very things that make WP bad, resulting in inescapable Catch 22's.

For example: you don't need to be a Ph.D. to fix grammer, syntax, and spelling errors. Or do a lot of the other stuff that an encyclopedia needs. Unidentified people can do gnome work. And will. And you should LET them.

And many a Subject Matter Expert is a horrible writer who needs to have his sentences and paragraphs broken up to something readable. Even somebody who knows nothing about the subject can see that.

So now the irony: Sanger ORIGINALLY in 2001 proposed having the Great Unidentified Unwashed create feeder articles, for Subject Matter Expert review and final touchup. And I think that model, which combines good features of both Wp and Citizendium, will eventually succeed in making the best collaborative encyclopedia possible. (Flagged revisions...!)

But then, Sanger forgot his own original proposal, and went off to re-invent every aspect of the wheel, including those which Wales' default program had already shown (by then) to be ahead of anything out there.

And that was not smart.

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/Darwin.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)