FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Future Perfect at Sunrise -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> Future Perfect at Sunrise, what's he about?
Abd

Postmaster

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 9,019

There isn't a lot here about FP. There is In the Tar and Feather Barrel, which never got to the supposed "sins," at least not much. There is this checkuser request, which gives hints about former WP identity. That's not important to what I'm doing yet. I'm not here to toss mud, but to find out more about this administrator who blocked me, because I'm preparing to go to RfAr, it being clear to me that he was involved and shouldn't have personally blocked, to say the least, and that FP isn't about to discuss the matter seriously, and he's got a coterie of supporters that will definitely disrupt any on-wiki process. If someone has allegations of administrative misbehavior (or other serious editorial behavior), I'd like to see it, but he's got a long history, and I assume anyone will have some gaffes in that time. I'm especially, but I'm not interested in editors simply describing how awful he is, unless they point to where actual evidence can be found. Nevertheless, this being Wikipedia Review, surely some of those might appear.

So far, no serious dirt have I found, glancing over older stuff. Some questionable use of tools with respect to, shall we say, personal interests, near the end of 2009, not enough for even a troutslap. But somebody doesn't like him, for sure, there is a spurious public profile at google. He looks like he's pushing forty, serious academic (professor). I've called him "stupid." Probably, instead, naive. Not paying enough attention, incautious. Happens to lots of adminstrators, they start to burn out and become impatient. I'll know more when I review block logs now and compare with older.

The RfAr could be pretty simple. He made some mistakes recently, but, hey, he's got a long and glorious history, and all that's needed is to point out the errors. What happens then would largely be up to him. Or maybe I'll find something else. I prefer the truth to any possible agenda.

This post has been edited by Abd:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mathsci

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 11,217

QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 4th March 2010, 2:40am) *

There isn't a lot here about FP.

Abd seems to have forgotten that before RfAr there is RfC/U.

It isn't clear whether Abd will be around long enough on wikipedia to participate in either.
+Quote Post
Enric_Naval

QUOTE(Mathsci @ Thu 4th March 2010, 9:38am) *

QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 4th March 2010, 2:40am) *

There isn't a lot here about FP.

Abd seems to have forgotten that before RfAr there is RfC/U.

It isn't clear whether Abd will be around long enough on wikipedia to participate in either.

Abd should first ask Arbcom if he can file a RfC/U about FP, because such a RfC will be filled with stuff where he was not an originating party.

P.D.: hum...let's see.... if Abd restricts the focus of the RfC to only the two blocks performed on him, then there would be no problem.

This post has been edited by Enric_Naval:
+Quote Post
Spartaz

Neophyte

QUOTE(Enric_Naval @ Thu 4th March 2010, 8:30pm) *

P.D.: hum...let's see.... if Abd restricts the focus of the RfC to only the two blocks performed on him, then there would be no problem.

And the chance of that is???????
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(Spartaz @ Thu 4th March 2010, 12:54pm) *
QUOTE(Enric_Naval @ Thu 4th March 2010, 8:30pm) *
And the chance of that is???????
Better than you might think. My issue with Future Perfect is not about those other editors, it's about Future Perfect.

The comments I made in the RfAr/Clarification were in response to repeated and disruptive edits made in that clarification by SamJohnston, and had nothing to do with any intervention between him and the other editor. SamJohnston was abusing Wikipedia, and he was doing it right there in the RfAr/Clarification, and so I pulled out what was already in that RfAr, from the collapse box, where it was peripheral, background as to why the clarification was needed, into the open, and gave an analogy.

This was a dispute between SamJohnston and myself, clearly, not between SamJohnston and LirazSiri, no matter what SamJohnston's motive might be. LirazSiri's alleged status as a spammer (JzG's position) is irrelevant. So the edit for which Future Perfect blocked me was not a violation, and if it's necessary to bring that out, it will be.

However, the filing need not even mention SJ and LS. They aren't relevant to the issue that ArbComm would be needed to address: the blocking of an editor by an admin who is already in established dispute with that editor, and, frosting on the cake, over the same issue as the admin previously blocked the editor for. I had already asserted a claim of involvement, and it was, in fact, asserted that it would be improper for Future Perfect to block me.

I did the same with WMC before he ever blocked me, by the way. I was right, and, when the matter reached ArbComm, the previously claimed consensus that whatever WMC did was fine mysteriously disappeared. Even his close friends started saying that, well, it shouldn't have been him who pushed the button. Damn straight! That had been my point from the beginning.

If his friends had told him that before, he might still have his bit. I asked TenOfAllTrades to help him get a clue. TenOfAllTrades responded as if I'd asked him to do something awful. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Spartaz, you're a basically good guy, able to see when you've made mistakes. I think you've made one here, based on your comment at AN. But I'm not expecting you to roll over and play dead, just to recognize that maybe the situation is deeper than you are going to grasp with a quick reaction. Most of the struggles I get involved in are like that, which is why my participation can look disruptive.

I've taken on some very difficult, long-term problems, and, quite obviously, if they were easy to resolve, they'd have been resolved already!

I'm not planning on going after Future Perfect's bit. I didn't request desysopping for either JzG or WMC. But JzG was unable to accept that he'd made a mistake, and even though ArbComm just admonished him, his ultimate response was to drop the bit. JzG simply disappeared during the RfAr, which also protected him. WMC very much participated, edit warring on RfAr pages, edit warring with another admin on the RfAr warnings -- the other admin retired over it! -- and ultimately blocked me during the case. And showed complete defiance, refusing to recognize that he'd made any mistakes. He'd actually been like this for years, but I was the first ordinary editor to persist in process.

And look what happened? If you want to understand what's wrong with Wikipedia, this history contains a lot of lessons! If you value your editing privileges, do not challenge beloved administrators. Even if you are sustained, you will be attacked by many, and that will almost always result in your being banned.

So what the RfAr will ask ArbComm to do is to look at the history of my interaction with Future Perfect. Were we involved in a dispute? If so, was it legitimate for him to block me? If not, should he be admonished, or what response is appropriate?

That would be the filing. If Future Perfect doesn't immediately admit that he was involved, then, should ArbComm take the case, other matters might be asserted in Evidence, specifically other possible inappropriate actions. I know of one, there might be others. But I'm not doing this alone, and whatever I file is going to be reviewed by others first. It is impossible to reform the wiki alone. I can trigger or seed process alone, sometimes, but at this level, it would be practically suicidal.

While it's quite tempting to commit wiki-suicide, by simply telling -- on occasion -- the community how I feel about it in general and telling administrators and arbitrators how I feel about them, in the end I am neither suicidal nor do I blame them for being, with everyone else, victims of an abusive system. My level of blame starts to rise for the editors who act, vigorously, to preserve what is abusive about the system, but I have not seen any that sufficiently understand the issues for this to be truly morally culpable, though when I see an admin clearly enjoying abusing an editor, it does raise the hackles!

Spartaz, I'd love to see you be a part of the solution. Let me know if you are interested. It could be very easy, not stressful. Otherwise, in keeping with the august traditions here, even though it's only March, go fuck yourself!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)