The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meetups, Kids, and Videotape, Was "Interesting Meetup"; merged with "Underaged Editor
Alex
post Tue 18th November 2008, 12:15am
Post #1

Back from the dead

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 867

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

The New York City meetup yesterday has a video available of the second part of the meetup. It's quite an interesting discussion about requests for adminship, with participants including Newyorkbrad, MBisanz, DGG and various others. Up to about 25 mins in they discuss RFAs, then it's onto the chapter.

Quite an interesting thing to watch; not only the discussion, but also how meetups work out in other places. I've been to a few meetups, but they've all taken place in a pub/restaurant, and are a lot less formal - no presentations, no meeting room etc, just casual conversation. What are other people's experiences of meetups, or thoughts on the video?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Giggy
post Tue 18th November 2008, 12:20am
Post #2

Über Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Who's the kid who starts the meeting off? (I now make myself seem uninformed.)
+Quote Post
Alex
post Tue 18th November 2008, 12:21am
Post #3

Back from the dead

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Giggy @ Tue 18th November 2008, 12:20am) *

Who's the kid who starts the meeting off? (I now make myself seem uninformed.)

Shapiros10.
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins
post Tue 18th November 2008, 12:28am
Post #4

Über Member

Member No.: 3,972

QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 17th November 2008, 4:15pm) *

The New York City meetup yesterday has a video available of the second part of the meetup. It's quite an interesting discussion about requests for adminship, with participants including Newyorkbrad, MBisanz, DGG and various others. Up to about 25 mins in they discuss RFAs, then it's onto the chapter.

Quite an interesting thing to watch; not only the discussion, but also how meetups work out in other places. I've been to a few meetups, but they've all taken place in a pub/restaurant, and are a lot less formal - no presentations, no meeting room etc, just casual conversation. What are other people's experiences of meetups, or thoughts on the video?

Another video from the same author regarding Jasmin St. Claire.

This post has been edited by Pumpkin Muffins: Tue 18th November 2008, 12:29am
+Quote Post
Alex
post Tue 18th November 2008, 12:30am
Post #5

Back from the dead

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 18th November 2008, 12:28am) *

QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 17th November 2008, 4:15pm) *

Another video from the same author regarding Jasmin St. Claire.

Yeah, maybe start another thread? This one is about meetups. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins
post Tue 18th November 2008, 12:33am
Post #6

Über Member

Member No.: 3,972

QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 17th November 2008, 4:30pm) *
Yeah, maybe start another thread? This one is about meetups. Thanks!

topic nazi
+Quote Post
Cedric
post Tue 18th November 2008, 1:44am
Post #7

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 17th November 2008, 6:15pm) *

If by "interesting" you mean "cure for insomnia", then I agree. Majorly.
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad
post Tue 18th November 2008, 2:12am
Post #8

Über Member

Member No.: 5,193

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Cedric @ Mon 17th November 2008, 8:44pm) *

QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 17th November 2008, 6:15pm) *

If by "interesting" you mean "cure for insomnia", then I agree. Majorly.

I had fun at the meet-up, and Wikipedians interested in the RfA process or in schools outreach might enjoy the videos, but since this is the Wikipedia Review audience, I should warn that the presentations didn't discuss BLP issues or no-indexing or the other real-life-impact-of-Wikipedia issues that are of greatest concern to the readership here.
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle
post Tue 18th November 2008, 2:29am
Post #9

Postmaster

Member No.: 3,953

QUOTE(Alex @ Tue 18th November 2008, 12:15am) *

What are other people's experiences of meetups, or thoughts on the video?

I naturally like mingling and like meetups, and would like to go to another one soon. The characters are very interesting! What I did see is that it was more higher-ups- bureaucrats, admins, arbs at the meetup I attended- I was the only mere editor so felt a bit overwhelmed. Most were a fair bit younger than me too, which some people expect and so don't go along, but I didn't expect (not that it was necessarily a bad thing, apart from making me feel raddled lol) oh and there were no other ladies there.
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad
post Tue 18th November 2008, 2:31am
Post #10

Über Member

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 17th November 2008, 9:29pm) *

I naturally like mingling and like meetups, and would like to go to another one soon. The characters are very interesting! What I did see is that it was more higher-ups- bureaucrats, admins, arbs at the meetup I attended- I was the only mere editor so felt a bit overwhelmed. Most were a fair bit younger than me too, which some people expect and so don't go along, but I didn't expect (not that it was necessarily a bad thing, apart from making me feel raddled lol) oh and there were no other ladies there.

The format of this meet-up, which included somewhat formal presentations as depicted on the video, is different from the usual one which is just people mingling and talking and dining. Of course, we had mingling and talking and dining too, although that part was sensibly not taped.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Tue 18th November 2008, 3:03am
Post #11

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 17th November 2008, 7:29pm) *

That's because there are none on the internet in the UK, as you know, except yourself.
+Quote Post
Kato
post Tue 18th November 2008, 3:05am
Post #12

dhd

Member No.: 767

Shouldn't everyone be wearing hoods?

Anyway, at about 10 minutes, they start criticizing you Alex. laugh.gif

I didn't get any further. The whole debate regarding minors being administrators - in fact, the video itself starting with that kid distorting the term "ageism" to mean the opposite of what it was designed to mean and the people it was supposed to protect - was so damn naive I gave up.

Daniel Brandt had it right in this post:

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt)

I always thought "ageism" referred to discrimination against the elderly, not the too-young. Every culture has entire systems of discrimination against the young. It all depends on the specific task to which they are entrusted. It wasn't until I came to Wikipedia that I heard the term "ageism" used to refer to those who discriminate against the too-young instead of the too-old.

There are also old people who lose competence in certain areas. For example, in California where you live, if you tell the physician that your elderly father is no longer competent to drive, and you don't know how to get him to stop driving, he will fill out a form if he agrees with you, and the DMV will send your father a letter telling him that he no longer has a license. Perfectly reasonable -- I wouldn't call that ageism.

Do you enjoy driving down a busy street in a little Volkswagen, surrounded by teenagers in SUVs and hulking pickup trucks, yakking on their cellphones? I don't. Would you want 15-year-olds to get the vote? How about sex? Is 13 okay, or 14? What about letting them drop out of school because they find it boring?

It's not a question of age, it's a question of competence for a given task. I submit that no publisher would hire a teenager to edit biographies of living persons. No, they would ask for a resume to determine whether the person applying for this sort of job is qualified. And their work would be checked by a senior editor of proven discretion, you can be sure.

If I ask for similar standards from Wikipedia, why do you throw around words like "ageism"? I think you are completely wrong on this one.

+Quote Post
dogbiscuit
post Tue 18th November 2008, 3:05am
Post #13

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 18th November 2008, 3:03am) *

That's because there are none on the internet in the UK, as you know, except yourself.

...and with this site's record we're not to sure about him wink.gif
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle
post Tue 18th November 2008, 3:10am
Post #14

Postmaster

Member No.: 3,953

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 18th November 2008, 3:05am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 18th November 2008, 3:03am) *

...and with this site's record we're not to sure about him wink.gif

Alex has met me, or allegedly met me (unless I sent someone else along as a ruse). I suppose no-one here has seen those parts of the anatomy that would let you know for sure (yet?) though biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Obesity
post Tue 18th November 2008, 3:43am
Post #15

I taste as good as skinny feels.

Member No.: 6,909

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 17th November 2008, 10:05pm) *

Daniel Brandt had it right in this post:

I revere Brandt's sharp mind, sleuthing skillz and his spunk*, and do wish he would come back here and post now and then.

However, his frequently vindictive behavior (to say nothing of the sophomoric cartoons on his website) resembles that of a pouting, tantruming toddler, which undercuts his credibility, at least when critiquing the relative maturity of Internet users.

*not slang for semen, in this case
+Quote Post
EricBarbour
post Tue 18th November 2008, 9:54am
Post #16

blah

Member No.: 5,066

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

That video exactly shows a major problem with WP "governance" as it exists. He's a cute kid, but why is he being allowed to talk about "ageism" at a WP meeting? Really, how valuable would a 12-year-old be to Wikipedia? Even if he's really smart, he's still lacking a great deal of life experience and education.

It makes me think of the old joke "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog".

This video is almost a joke by itself. I had the disturbing feeling that I was watching a sneaky viral parody put together by College Humor or Fark. Sorry, it just seems too Twilight Zone-ish.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit
post Tue 18th November 2008, 2:51pm
Post #17

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

Dipped into this a bit:

Loved the child in suit vs most of the rest in geek dress (though glad to see NYB keeping standards high).

Loved Sam wanting to join in disorganised rabble of a discussion so goes to stick hand up.

Loved Sam's comment that something that happened a couple of years ago was before his time.

Loved how Sam actually spoke in Wikipedia acronyms and catch phrases.

Loved how you can skip forward through videos without having to watch it all wink.gif

My take: if you have to take criticism from a 12 year old seriously, you need to seriously consider why anybody else in the room bothered to turn up.

I'd love to know what Sam's parents thought about what he was doing (did they know, do they approve, do they understand and aren't they worried that he'll lose his dress sense?).
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad
post Tue 18th November 2008, 2:53pm
Post #18

Über Member

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 18th November 2008, 9:51am) *

I'd love to know what Sam's parents thought about what he was doing (did they know, do they approve, do they understand and aren't they worried that he'll lose his dress sense?).

His father was there.

This post has been edited by Newyorkbrad: Tue 18th November 2008, 2:53pm
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame
post Tue 18th November 2008, 3:48pm
Post #19

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Tue 18th November 2008, 9:53am) *

His father was there.

I believe that I would leave any social gathering that a 12 year old showed up to as a "principal" rather than a child in the care of someone who couldn't make other arrangements. Of course, I would be gracious and considerate of both the child and adult in the latter situation. I'm not sure about my feeling about the parent here. He probably felt some misguided pride in his child's"precociousness" and simply failed to understand the environment his child had fallen into.
+Quote Post
Alex
post Tue 18th November 2008, 5:33pm
Post #20

Back from the dead

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 18th November 2008, 3:48pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Tue 18th November 2008, 9:53am) *

His father was there.

I believe that I would leave any social gathering that a 12 year old showed up to as a "principal" rather than a child in the care of someone who couldn't make other arrangements. Of course, I would be gracious and considerate of both the child and adult in the latter situation. I'm not sure about my feeling about the parent here. He probably felt some misguided pride in his child's"precociousness" and simply failed to understand the environment his child had fallen into.

So what line would you draw before you stormed out of the meeting? Age 16? 18? 21?
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th 12 17, 8:35am