FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Rootology retires -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rootology retires
Nerd

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 11,945

Complete with dull essay on why Wikipedia is apparently broken and failing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

There is a forum here called "Editors", you know.
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:23am) *

As Rootology is an admin who retired, I figured I'd use the most appropriate forum this time. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 14th July 2009, 9:23pm) *
This is in the "Admin retirements" forum, where it belongs. Not sure why that forum's in "Bureaucracy", rather than "Editors", mind you.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Who the f**k cares? The guy was a clown and this essay shows that he needs to spend more time engaging in reality.
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:33am) *

Who the f**k cares? The guy was a clown and this essay shows that he needs to spend more time engaging in reality.

I care! Rootology brought a lot to Wikipedia and his depature is detrimental to its future success.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 14th July 2009, 6:59pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:33am) *

I care! Rootology brought a lot to Wikipedia and his depature is detrimental to its future success.

Nothing wrong with Root that being away from Wikipedia won't cure. I wish him well.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 14th July 2009, 8:59pm) *

I care!

You are a sweet person. No sarcasm intended -- that statement was sincere and I respect you for it.

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 14th July 2009, 8:59pm) *

Rootology brought a lot to Wikipedia and his depature is detrimental to its future success.

Now I can revert to being the horse from hell -- no single person or equine is indispensable to Wikipedia's success. Although losing eye candy like Lara or Steve Smith would make things a lot less entertaining. However, Wikipedia will stagger and sputter without Root, just as it did while he was with us.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

He actually isn't a bad guy--he always seemed levelheaded, and never caused
oceans of tedious and embarrassing dramah, unlike some other hardcore admins.

That's how it works. The crazies force out the decent people, then the whole damn
thing falls apart when the crazies take over (and inevitably fight among themselves).

It's just a big BBS. With money and fame. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

I dunno about the "always levelheaded" nonsense -- you should see the curious email he sent me back in January when he was up for adminship. I though the whole situation then was a little weird.

That said, I'm glad to see that he seems to have rejected the Wikicult's teachings this time around; perhaps he'll learn to stay away for good this time.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Nerd @ Wed 15th July 2009, 12:21am) *

Complete with dull essay on why Wikipedia is apparently broken and failing.

He's still an admin, and he uses "we" too often in his essay for me to consider him a former wikipedian. He'll be back, just like Giano.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 14th July 2009, 11:03pm) *
He's still an admin, and he uses "we" too often in his essay for me to consider him a former wikipedian. He'll be back, just like Giano.
Without commenting on the merits of your prediction, the reason he uses "we" in the essay is because he wrote it before deciding to quit.
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

Whats he doing on Commons? Hes an admin there but has made no edits in months.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:...tions/Rootology
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(sbrown @ Wed 15th July 2009, 2:47am) *

What's he doing? I think you just answered your own question: Nothing.
+Quote Post
jayvdb

Member No.: 1,039

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 15th July 2009, 6:53am) *

QUOTE(sbrown @ Wed 15th July 2009, 2:47am) *

What's he doing? I think you just answered your own question: Nothing.

And "nothing" is acceptable according to the Commons inactivity process.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

It's a good and thoughtful essay. It would be worthwhile if many more seasoned Wikipedians engaged in such reflective thinking and review.

It's unlikely that Wikipedia will right itself and evolve to a functional 21st Century governance structure, but one by one, disillusioned Wikipedians can individually learn and explain in their own words why Wikipedia operates under an ill-conceived, tragically failed and unsustainable model.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Although Rootology has retired, he gets to keep the honorary title of "founding member" of the Advisory Council. I seem to recall that his short-lived Advisory Council work mainly involved slagging off people like me, arguing that we were only opposed to the Council because we had been sanctioned in the past, and telling us that we were all doomed unless we accepted the ArbCom's edicts--so of course it's important to recognize his contributions to setting the tone and style of this new body's work! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 15th July 2009, 10:57am) *

Although Rootology has retired, he gets to keep the honorary title of "founding member" of the Advisory Council. I seem to recall that his short-lived Advisory Council work mainly involved slagging off people like me, arguing that we were only opposed to the Council because we had been sanctioned in the past, and telling us that we were all doomed unless we accepted the ArbCom's edicts--so of course it's important to recognize his contributions to setting the tone and style of this new body's work! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

You can be kind of vindictive, can't you?
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 15th July 2009, 12:57pm) *

You just get more and more annoying. Go expand Ashlee Simpson. Take her back to FA... doesn't she deseve it? If you really loved her, you'd care enough to make it happen.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 15th July 2009, 6:29pm) *

You just get more and more annoying. Go expand Ashlee Simpson. Take her back to FA... doesn't she deseve it? If you really loved her, you'd care enough to make it happen.

Are you officially advising me in your capacity as a member of the Advisory Council? If so, do you mind if I reciprocate with some advice of my own? It will have to be unofficial advice, because I don't have a title, but I think it's pretty good advice anyway. I think you should go write some content--you pick the article. I looked through your last 100 contributions and only found one article edit, and that one was to nominate an article for deletion. Are you sure your advice is going to be well-grounded if you aren't out there actively editing articles? I don't want the ArbCom to be getting bad advice, you know! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:48pm) *

Are you officially advising me in your capacity as a member of the Advisory Council? If so, do you mind if I reciprocate with some advice of my own? It will have to be unofficial advice, because I don't have a title, but I think it's pretty good advice anyway. I think you should go write some content--you pick the article. I looked through your last 100 contributions and only found one article edit, and that one was to nominate an article for deletion. Are you sure your advice is going to be well-grounded if you aren't out there actively editing articles? I don't want the ArbCom to be getting bad advice, you know! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
I actually noted that same thing last night myself. Although, last night I had two article edits in my last 100, and one was to nominate an article for deletion.

Anyway, crybaby... No, this wasn't me "officially advising" you in my "capacity as a member of the Advisory Council". This was simply me, on WR, pointing out how annoying you are. I thought that was clear, but you guys opposing the think-tank have a bit of an issue with exaggerating and using hyperbole to get your points across. Understandable, considering you're opposing a think-tank and all. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

Seeing Rootology leave immediately brought to mind User:NoSeptember/Leaving and WP:DIVA.

In this thread, EricBarbour says Rootology "never caused oceans of tedious and embarrassing dramah."

He deleted the pages in his user space, wrote a user space essay and redirected his user page there, fully protected his talk page (with a dramatic protection summary), and placed {{retired}} at the top. It was certainly dramatic by any reasonable person's standards and I was certainly embarrassed by his childish behavior.

Was his retirement in itself an "ocean" of drama? No. For the full body of water, you would need to look at his contributions over the past few months, especially in the project namespace.

One might argue that it's acceptable to behave like this if it's a true retirement, but does anyone honestly believe that it is?
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

MZMcBride and Everyking criticize Rootology for being "dramatic." Interesting.

He's got a great essay there. I'll miss him.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 15th July 2009, 8:28pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:48pm) *

I actually noted that same thing last night myself. Although, last night I had two article edits in my last 100, and one was to nominate an article for deletion.

Anyway, crybaby... No, this wasn't me "officially advising" you in my "capacity as a member of the Advisory Council". This was simply me, on WR, pointing out how annoying you are. I thought that was clear, but you guys opposing the think-tank have a bit of an issue with exaggerating and using hyperbole to get your points across. Understandable, considering you're opposing a think-tank and all. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

I was referencing your title and official duties for the purposes of sarcasm, not because I actually believed you might be advising in me in your official capacity.
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Oh, let's be real. It was dramatic. And he'll be back.

Nothing new here. Happens all the time. Doesn't matter. So move along, we've got shit to do and we're a man down.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 15th July 2009, 3:38pm) *

Oh, let's be real. It was dramatic. And he'll be back.

Nothing new here. Happens all the time. Doesn't matter. So move along, we've got shit to do and we're a man down.

I second that. And thank goodness it was some dull idiot who did nothing. It would have been awful to lose an intense in-your-face neurotic clown of the Guy Chapman/Uncle G/Tanthalas39/Durova/WMC school of fools. Hell, we can afford to lose 20 Rootologys -- but if we lose Uncle G, it will be a tragedy.

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 15th July 2009, 3:30pm) *

fully protected his talk page (with a dramatic protection summary), and placed {{retired}} at the top.

I guess all that explanation to him about why admins should not semi-protect their talk pages even if they aren't currently active went in one ear and out the other.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(One @ Wed 15th July 2009, 3:33pm) *

Says the person who (dramatically) plots takeovers and revolutions on this site. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

You can't miss a person who hasn't left. Perhaps Rootology is really leaving for good, but we can't possibly know that for sure. The fact that he has already resumed editing seems like a pretty strong indication, though.

P. S. I hadn't noticed the blanking and protection of his Editor review and his Request for adminship. I think this exit is the new standard-bearer for dramatic goodbyes. Good grief.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, what is your beef with him? Can someone else explain it to me?

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(One @ Wed 15th July 2009, 4:17pm) *

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, what is your beef with him? Can someone else explain it to me?

Someone has to have a beef with another in order to be bemused or annoyed by the dramatic and unnecessary way they choose to attempt to depart the project? I don't think so.

I'm all about going out in protest and drawing some attention to your cause, don't get me wrong. BTDT, but it's sort of silly to do these sorts of things so often. Being dramatic is best when infrequent, otherwise, you're not really "being dramatic" after a while... rather, you're just being you.

Of course, by "you", I don't necessarily mean you.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(One @ Wed 15th July 2009, 8:33pm) *

To be clear, I'll miss him too--he was a good editor, and he was particularly valuable in discussions on governance matters because he recognized very clearly that the project needs reform. Unfortunately, he got the idea that the ArbCom, rather than the community, could or should be the driving force behind reform. I'd love to see him back, but not as a member of the advisory council.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 15th July 2009, 8:24pm) *

Someone has to have a beef with another in order to be bemused or annoyed by the dramatic and unnecessary way they choose to attempt to depart the project? I don't think so.

I'm all about going out in protest and drawing some attention to your cause, don't get me wrong. BTDT, but it's sort of silly to do these sorts of things so often. Being dramatic is best when infrequent, otherwise, you're not really "being dramatic" after a while... rather, you're just being you.

I agree with that last point. Should be a limit on "retiring."

Just wondering because MZM was also all over Rootology's noindexing thing, and (along with Xeno), was agitated about him being among the dozens of admins with semi-protected pages.. Seemed like there was some history, but I may be wrong.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
gelugor

Neophyte

This isn't the first time Rootology has done something dramatic, has he? He's going to be back eventually, whether it's a day, a week, or a month or two.

+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(One @ Wed 15th July 2009, 4:26pm) *

Just wondering because MZM was also all over Rootology's noindexing thing, and (along with Xeno), was agitated about him being among the dozens of admins with semi-protected pages... Seemed like there was some history, but I may be wrong.

I'll try to refrain from answering the question you asked that I not answer. But in response to the semi-protection "incident" in particular, I think it's important to point out that one of Rootology's arguments for semi-protecting his own talk page was that he was "just about to go on a long break" (paraphrased). This was in late June. I think that's a pretty good example of why my frustration with Rootology has been growing. Read into that whatever you will.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 15th July 2009, 8:35pm) *

I'll try to refrain from answering the question you asked that I not answer.

No, feel free to answer. I only asked if others knew in case you weren't willing.
+Quote Post
gelugor

Neophyte

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 15th July 2009, 8:35pm) *

Just wondering because MZM was also all over Rootology's noindexing thing, and (along with Xeno), was agitated about him being among the dozens of admins with semi-protected pages.... Seemed like there was some history, but I may be wrong.

I'll try to refrain from answering the question you asked that I not answer. But in response to the semi-protection "incident" in particular, I think it's important to point out that one of Rootology's arguments for semi-protecting his own talk page was that he was "just about to go on a long break" (paraphrased). This was in late June. I think that's a pretty good example of why my frustration with Rootology has been growing. Read into that whatever you will.

Well seeing how he's now fully "retired", wasn't announcing a long break just pussyfooting? Oh, and he edited as if nothing happened after his first announcement.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

Just wondering because MZM ... (along with Xeno), was agitated about him being among the dozens of admins with semi-protected pages.... Seemed like there was some history, but I may be wrong.

It's pretty simple (and has nothing specifically to do with rootology) - I just think admins (and editors in general) should be accountable to users, including IPs and new users. Semi-protection (and, by extension, full-protection) of an administrators' user talk page without justification and a history of severe abuse (as exists in at least some of the "dozens of admins" you mention) is thus inappropriate and runs counter to the protection policy.

...and I am still astonished that a sitting arbitrator thinks it's completely fine because it's "His damn user talk page".

(Which, of course, it isn't. It belongs to the community.)

This post has been edited by Apathetic:
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Just wondering because MZM was also all over Rootology's noindexing thing, and (along with Xeno), was agitated about him being among the dozens of admins with semi-protected pages.... Seemed like there was some history, but I may be wrong.
MZ takes a strict stance on protection in all cases.

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 15th July 2009, 4:43pm) *

It's pretty simple (and has nothing specifically to do with rootology) - I just think admins (and editors in general) should be accountable to users, including IPs and new users. Semi-protection (and, by extension, full-protection) of an administrators' user talk page without justification and a history of severe abuse (as exists in at least some of the "dozens of admins" you mention) is thus inappropriate and runs counter to the protection policy.

...and I am still astonished that a sitting arbitrator thinks it's completely fine because it's "His damn user talk page".

That pretty well blew me away, too. I think Luke is the only arb you'll see making such comments on- or off- wiki. At least, he's the only one I've seen do so.

And I hate that "your talk page belongs to the community" line. Right, whatever. I get that a lot, too. Let the civility police try to enforce something on my talk page.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 15th July 2009, 8:43pm) *

I didn't realize you were Xeno. Out of curiosity, how many other admins with semi-protected pages have either of you harassed since then?

At any rate, Rootology has just informed me that he really has retired--saying farewell on the ACPD pages hardly counts as resumed editing. I find his announcement more credible than, say, Giano, who has a track record. Rootology quit this place cold turkey, after all. I hope it's just a long absence, but right now he seems to mean it.
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 15th July 2009, 8:30pm) *

Seeing Rootology leave immediately brought to mind User:NoSeptember/Leaving and WP:DIVA.

Funny how several on that list have retired. For real.

And yeah, he blanked his editor review and RFA and fully protected them. The only thing that achieves is DRAMA. No one even cared about either of those pages until he suddenly did that. Pointless.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)