FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Request For Comment JzG2 -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Request For Comment JzG2, Is Mr. Guy Chapman (aka, JzG) going away?
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

Group: Regulars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...or_comment/JzG2

It is starting now?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

Yep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req..._Kirill_Lokshin

This post has been edited by WhispersOfWisdom:
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Not sure what that was - quoting youself in the same post (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) but yes it has started.
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

QUOTE(Viridae @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:56pm) *

Not sure what that was - quoting youself in the same post (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) but yes it has started.

That was me not knowing how to use a computer. Sorry. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 17

Yes, we can has RfC. (sorry a lolcat image isn't available)
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

Oh goodie, another Spammish Inquisition.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I know they're just trying to be diplomatic, but all they're doing is further enabling him with this kind of nonsense:
Guy has been a fabulous asset to this encyclopedia, hardworking, dedicated and obviously wants the best for this project.

None of that is true, of course, except maybe the "hardworking" part. His entire history is one of grandstanding, moth-to-flame attraction to high-profile drama cases, self-congratulation, and above all, revenge-mongering. And that's putting aside his willingness to be deceptive and sometimes completely dishonest in his ongoing effort to curry favor with the WP leadership. Whether or not he realizes that his main worth to them is to take on the attack-dog role is beside the point. It's probable that someone else would inevitably come along to take on that role if he were desysopped, but that doesn't mean the existence of attack-dog accounts is something people should just sit back and accept.

These WP'ers will have to stand up for what's right if they ever hope to be taken seriously as a "project," or whatever they're calling themselves. JzG is, obviously, "burned out" and needs a long "wikibreak," but it isn't because he's been spending all that time doing good. He's been spending all that time doing damage, and not just to himself, either.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

I nearly posted the following over there, but decided it would be too inflamatory for an outside user to be involved. However, inbetweenies might like to take the message across:

The list of infractions is large, and in the main not disputed, and it is good to see that, though painful, there has not been any inappropriate attempt to defend inappropriate behaviour.

To me, the important issue is that the community has failed one of its own. Guy has been struggling, in public, with public criticism for a long time. The community has failed in its duty of care to its own. I place a certain amount of blame on those friends of Guy who put up words of support when his inappropriate behaviour was obvious. The toleration of inappropriate behaviour, under the guise of the ends justify the means, the good of the project, has been hurtful to Guy. To use a trite phrase, you can kill with kindness, words of support have reinforced Guy's belief that he was doing the right thing when he was not. The result is unsurprising and therefore does not reflect badly on Guy.

Solutions: Guy needs an enforced break, not something that is called a ban, nor something that is called a block. He needs to regain a proper perspective on life. Hopefully, Wikipedians who know him in the real world, can meet in the real world and offer him whatever support is needed: bring him back into the real world, with real world perspectives. As someone else noted: it is just a web site.

Wikipedians need to look to their own actions and realise that their unconditional public support for Guy in the face of inappropriate behaviour has had two consequences: the damage to the reputation of the project, and the personal damage to a member of the project. If people want to take a positive outcome from the RFC, do not focus on Guy, focus on where the community went astray. Simply put, zero tolerance of all inappropriate behaviour by admins as representatives of the project (whether you like it or not). Painful in the short term, good in the long term. And this is not personal, it is a much wider cultural problem, where well known admins are allowed to work to a lesser standard of behaviour "for the good of the project". Guy should never have been allowed to stray so far by his friends. Who will be next?
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Perfectly put.

Typically, JzG dismissed the RFC as "a laundry list of Wikipedia Review members' grudges" and presumably won't comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=195304014

That's not really fair on the Wikipedians contributing to the RFC in droves to comment. If there was a real laundry list of Wikipedia Review members' grudges, it'd look a damn site more specific and aggressive than that. It'd include him lying about people, deleting people's work then recreating it in his own name, etc etc. More like this

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=13902&hl
+Quote Post
badlydrawnjeff

Writing four featured articles made me a danger to the project.

Member No.: 1,007

My favorite comment so far is Doc's. Apparently, since JzG is doing the kind of work Doc approves of, his bad behavior can be completely ignored.

Way to be consistent.
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:19pm) *

I admire the people that have come forward trying to help Guy Chapman, JzG.

I know first hand what it takes to do an intervention for someone that refuses to admit that they have a serious problem with life; living.

Guy has some serious problems with mental and physical health, albeit he may someday surrender to the truth and win. He is bright and I suspect he is deeply loved by his family.

A break would help, but may not, in fact, change the "Guy." Sometimes it takes rehabilitation, but it always takes a miracle in the form of a spiritual transformation and an experience that is truly spiritual. The recovery does not have to happen overnight...most often it takes a long time.

Guy clearly has the "me disease" and until he understands it is not all about him, he may never recover.

In the meantime he should lose his administrator tools and learn to edit, as Durova has.
She is more of an asset to the project without the tools, right now. Humility is a good thing.

His opinions may become more widely respected if he is forced to talk rather than lecture... and without the ability to push a destruct button or two. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Once again we see a reprise of the classic drama featuring Narcissus, Echo, and Echo Canceler.
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 4th March 2008, 10:14am) *

Once again we see a reprise of the classic drama featuring Narcissus, Echo, and Echo Canceler.

and....with dozens of well respected editors coming forward to support views like the above,
I suspect this issue does not have to go, nor should it be forced to go, to the feaux law court (ArbCom.)

Someone will be bold and block JzG and that will be the end of it, if he does not respond.

Then JzG can go to ArbCom.

The community has spoken to Mr. Chapman. There is broad consensus for him to give up the tools.

All the kings horses and all the kings men cannot put JzG back together again...not even Jimbo.

Jimbo is losing his ability to have any respect of the people.

This is a good thing for Wikipedia.

This post has been edited by WhispersOfWisdom:
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Tue 4th March 2008, 1:02pm) *

My favorite comment so far is Doc's. Apparently, since JzG is doing the kind of work Doc approves of, his bad behavior can be completely ignored.

Way to be consistent.

Doc Glasgow's response is exactly the dramatic response that leads Guy to believe he is doing the right thing. No doubt others are privately emailing him messages of support. I get the feeling that Doc likes his drama, and he would miss Guy for that reason, not his contributions to "the encyclopedia that Friends of Guy may edit".
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Wed 5th March 2008, 1:23am) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 4th March 2008, 10:14am) *

and....with dozens of well respected editors coming forward to support views like the above,
I suspect this issue does not have to go, nor should it be forced to go, to the feaux law court (ArbCom.)

Someone will be bold and block JzG and that will be the end of it, if he does not respond.

Then JzG can go to ArbCom.

The community has spoken to Mr. Chapman. There is broad consensus for him to give up the tools.

All the kings horses and all the kings men cannot put JzG back together again...not even Jimbo.

Jimbo is losing his ability to have any respect of the people.

This is a good thing for Wikipedia.

He won't be blocked for not responding. Wouldn't achieve anything.
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

QUOTE(Viridae @ Tue 4th March 2008, 4:19pm) *

He won't be blocked for not responding. Wouldn't achieve anything.

Most editors would have been blocked long ago. Same thing with the other circus going on at Arbcom.

The consensus is that JzG give up his tools, and / or simply leave WP.

He sets a very low bar for the near vigilante types at WP.

I knew JzG would eventually bring himself down.

Even Britney was finally committed...against her own devices and vices.

The JzG bullies of the world eventually self destruct, or they are taken away kicking and screaming that they are being mistreated. "You don't know who I am!" " I am MEEEE!" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Have a look at the RfC talk page and User talk:Nick
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:50pm) *

^ (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

More editors are supporting the position that is clearly a mandate for change.

Is he open for recall?
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Not that I am aware of.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

JzG is the Anton Chigurh of Wikipedia. He won't change at all. He didn't change when others attempted dispute resolution with him before, and he seems more determined than ever to ignore whatever advice is given to him. He is invincible with his posse of supporters.

Say, Viridae, I never pictured you as a Tommy Lee Jones. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)