FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Paid editing -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Paid editing, opinions on paid editing
ebc123

Neophyte

Group: Contributors

To state my opinion up front, what does it matter if you are paid to write about a person or organization or whatever and you follow the conflict of interest, neutral point-of-view, etc. guidelines, include most if not all the necessary references and basically produce an average to above average encyclopedic page?

For one thing there are many notable people out there who likely will never have a page written about them unless someone else takes the initiative to contact them or if they decide to contact someone to do it for them. I mean, it's nice and all to donate your time but unfortunately in this world the bills arrive every month. Again if you're able to be up front with a client and spell out the Wiki ground rules and from there produce a quality piece, what does it matter that you were paid?

For another thing it stands to reason that many if not most pages on Wikipedia are originally created and subsequently edited by people who have some abiding (some may say "slanted") interest in the topic. Why else bother with the effort?

So there's that. I'm wondering as far as paid editing what other people have to say. In addition to the above comments namely:

1. If you submit to Wikipedia's encouragement to divulge your paid arrangement, are you forever and automatically tagged with a "conflict of interest" heading?

2. If you divulge your paid status, are you now basically chum for other editors to tear your piece apart no matter how well it conforms to style and substance?

Thank you for any thoughts on this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

The secret to doing paid editing on Wikipedia is to first ingratiate yourself with the Cabal. Only once you have done that should you initiate your paid editing activities. Because you are a "trusted Wikipedian" at that point, everyone will gladly accept your assertions that, of course, there is no conflict of interest. Your social connections within the Cabal will protect you from the generalized assumption of bad faith that all other editors are normally subjected to. Many editors, in fact, will treat your income stream as the just rewards for being a loyal Wikipedian and will actively defend you against those who suggest that it's inappropriate for you to be editing for pay.

Of course, the wheels will come off if and when you edit an article of interest to a significant power bloc. Cabal protection only covers you if you only edit articles that are of no interest to the Cabal. Tread carefully, as the articles and topics that are subject to Special Cabal Protection change frequently and without much notice. You'll have to spend a lot of time in minute political maneuvers to keep up with this and to maintain your CabalCred; it's likely that this'll make it hard for your business to be particularly profitable as a result.
+Quote Post
Infomercial

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 28th December 2010, 9:59am) *

The secret to doing paid editing on Wikipedia is to first ingratiate yourself with the Cabal. Only once you have done that should you initiate your paid editing activities. Because you are a "trusted Wikipedian" at that point, everyone will gladly accept your assertions that, of course, there is no conflict of interest. Your social connections within the Cabal will protect you from the generalized assumption of bad faith that all other editors are normally subjected to. Many editors, in fact, will treat your income stream as the just rewards for being a loyal Wikipedian and will actively defend you against those who suggest that it's inappropriate for you to be editing for pay.

Of course, the wheels will come off if and when you edit an article of interest to a significant power bloc. Cabal protection only covers you if you only edit articles that are of no interest to the Cabal. Tread carefully, as the articles and topics that are subject to Special Cabal Protection change frequently and without much notice. You'll have to spend a lot of time in minute political maneuvers to keep up with this and to maintain your CabalCred; it's likely that this'll make it hard for your business to be particularly profitable as a result.

QUOTE(The Cabal)
We can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a cabal.

I really don't like the idea of paid editing. Users like me contribute heavily to WP with no compensation while these con men get paid to do the exact same thing. There are a variety of procedures if you want an article about yourself or your businesses, and if you're just patient, it'll be good in due time (as long as the notability requirement is met, of course (otherwise, you can suck it (or go to Wikipedia Review (we won't complain either way)))). Keep your dirty green presidents away from our site!

That's all I wanted to say. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/oldtimer.gif)
+Quote Post
ebc123

Neophyte

>> I really don't like the idea of paid editing. Users like me contribute heavily to WP with no compensation while these con men get paid to do the exact same thing. There are a variety of procedures if you want an article about yourself or your businesses, and if you're just patient, it'll be good in due time (as long as the notability requirement is met, of course (otherwise, you can suck it (or go to Wikipedia Review (we won't complain either way)))). Keep your dirty green presidents away from our site!

That's all I wanted to say. <<<
-- oldtimer

Considering the many rather well-documented "old-school" Wikipedia editor shenanigans described in this thread, the above post comes off to me as the proverbial stone thrown in a decidedly glass house. The "our site" stuff doesn't help much either.

I also find it hypocritical that on the one hand it's not difficult to find flimsy, obviously self-serving articles on Wikipedia that have been around for months and even years without so much as a "needs reference" flag; however, there are editors who ostensibly are just burning to toss any well-researched, properly-referenced and acceptably neutral-voiced baby out with the bath water because their detective work has determined said article was allegedly paid for. (In case you're confused oldtimer, unless someone comes out and admits paying for or being paid to write the article, the fruits of your snooping and consequent violation assertion is "alleged.") Stick to creating articles and making edits. You're needed.

It appears the majority here believe Wikipedia foremost should be a place where people can go for quality encyclopedic information. At least represent a decent starting point. Yet go to any interest group and you'll find many worthy subjects desiring an article. Surely there are a lot more that aren't listed. The notion then that a subject notable by definition should be happy to sit around and be patient while someone else MAYBE one day decides to get around to it--while someone NOW is willing to write a quality paid version--goes straight to that nose-in-the-air "our site" editorial mentality many posters here have described.

By the way, as far as my "newbie" status: true on the topic of paid editing. But I've been using and for the most part defending Wikipedia practically since it started. I've relied on it hundreds, maybe a thousand times or more as a research tool for personal and business purposes, and I wouldn't be surprised that a fair percentage of those hits landed on extremely helpful articles that were paid for. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Finally, (I really am done but we'll see about oldtimers assertion) what these holier-than-thou editors fail to realize is that while they describe Wikipedia as a resource "for the people," they apparently give these very same people little or no credit for being able distinguish between the good, the bad and the ugly. Our site? Hardly. The "old-timers" are the gatekeepers by Zeus! Dungeons and Dragons would be nothing without them.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ebc123   Paid editing  
thekohser   Welcome, new member. You'll want to read this...  
melloden   Welcome, new member. You'll want to read thi...  
Cla68   I support paid editing of Wikipedia. As Greg has ...  
Somey   Never letting up a chance to spam your company, eh...  
Alison   Will you give me a dollar for every time Greg ref...  
thekohser   [quote name='thekohser' post='261357' date='Wed 8...  
melloden   I see you joined WR only hours before ebc123, ye...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='thekohser' post='261357' date='Wed 8...  
Text   http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn206/Snapper...  
ebc123   I suppose it's to be expected on occasion that...  
SB_Johnny   I suppose it's to be expected on occasion tha...  
ebc123   Thanks SB Johnny for the reply and the welcome...  
Somey   I still have these three questions that I'd be...  
SB_Johnny   ... All it takes is one fella doing it the right...  
SB_Johnny   Thanks SB Johnny for the reply and the welcome...  
thekohser   Thanks SB Johnny for the reply and the welcome...  
Basil   Do not divulge a paid arrangement. Write articles...  
EricBarbour   Do not divulge a paid arrangement. Write articles...  
ebc123   Thanks for the information! As far as "A...  
wikieyeay   Thanks for the information! As far as ...  
ebc123   Thanks everyone for the information! I've...  
melloden   Thanks everyone for the information! I'v...  
wikieyeay   Thanks everyone for the information! I...  
ebc123   My apologies “thekoser.” Thanks for t...  
thekohser   My apologies “thekoser.” Thanks for ...  
melloden   Now, a question for you... How old are you, and ...  
wikieyeay   Now, a question for you... How old are you, and...  
melloden   And personally, if he is a kid looking for extra ...  
SB_Johnny   From my brief experience with children on the sit...  
GlassBeadGame   And personally, if he is a kid looking for extra...  
thekohser   I wonder if the Wikipediot community has noticed t...  
thekohser   I wonder if the Wikipediot community has noticed ...  
thekohser   Wait! They reveal some previous client ...  
thekohser   Wait! They reveal some previous client ...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='thekohser' post='262376' date='Fri 1...  
tarantino   SqueakBox is mentioned yet again at AN/I for paid ...  
EricBarbour   SqueakBox is mentioned yet again at AN/I for paid ...  
thekohser   SqueakBox is noted as one of the top "wipers...  
thekohser   The notion then that a subject notable by definit...  
Milton Roe   I have to say it... [b][size=3]Wikipedia: always...  
thekohser   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Co...  
Zoloft   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=C...  
thekohser   Their inability to pull the trigger on him is clea...  
thekohser   Well, it looks like the Squeaker has finally been ...  
Somey   Well, it looks like the Squeaker has finally been ...  
thekohser   What he seems to be saying is that rewards should...  
Somey   But, then, do you notice that Jimbo doesn't so...  
EricBarbour   [quote name='thekohser' post='263823' date='Mon 3r...  
Infomercial   What he seems to be saying is that rewards shoul...  
thekohser   Noted researcher Felipe Ortega is trying his hand ...  
thekohser   Noted researcher Felipe Ortega is trying his hand...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)