FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jimbo in Key West -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Jimbo in Key West, now who's "stalking" whom?
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Jimbo's eating where I ate breakfast on February 10th (just a couple of weeks ago).

Jimbo's having dessert where my wife and I had dessert two years ago with the Associate Pastor of our church, rest his soul.

Jimbo's having fun where my bride and I set sail with guests for our wedding at sea in January 2000.

Clearly, he's just doing this to make me fear for my life, right?!

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

It's not so much Twitter as Foursquare, which Jimmy appears to use slavishly.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 1st March 2012, 9:19am) *

Is there a story behind that?
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 11:29am) *

I guess the issue really is that, in the context of Jimbo's self-image, is that he thinks it is appropriate to advertise all his doings to the world rather than his friends. This is nothing new particularly, and obviously there are lots of fans of Jimbo who presumably find this entertaining. What I note is that as far as I can see, he only checks into name-dropping locations rather than his general movements.

What it does do, to me, is continue to undermine his image of serious leader of the Internet and places him firmly in the celebrity camp. As he hasn't really done anything of use for several years now, and all he has ever really done is accidentally help start a project (his real contribution I guess was creating the Wikipedia guru figure and nursing it into life) celebrity is all he has to work with, and celebrity earns good money. In fact, that sums it up, Jimbo has successfully developed himself as a celebrity and used celebrity to guide Wikipedia and earn money, so Foursquare and Twitter are exactly the right tools for such a person.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 6:52am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 11:29am) *

I guess the issue really is that, in the context of Jimbo's self-image, is that he thinks it is appropriate to advertise all his doings to the world rather than his friends. This is nothing new particularly, and obviously there are lots of fans of Jimbo who presumably find this entertaining. What I note is that as far as I can see, he only checks into name-dropping locations rather than his general movements.

What it does do, to me, is continue to undermine his image of serious leader of the Internet and places him firmly in the celebrity camp. As he hasn't really done anything of use for several years now, and all he has ever really done is accidentally help start a project (his real contribution I guess was creating the Wikipedia guru figure and nursing it into life) celebrity is all he has to work with, and celebrity earns good money. In fact, that sums it up, Jimbo has successfully developed himself as a celebrity and used celebrity to guide Wikipedia and earn money, so Foursquare and Twitter are exactly the right tools for such a person.

Agreed, but actually I thought there was some connection he had with foursquare (tbh I'm not entirely sure what foursquare's function is supposed to be), but maybe I'm thinking of something else.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 7:09am) *

Agreed, but actually I thought there was some connection he had with foursquare (tbh I'm not entirely sure what foursquare's function is supposed to be), but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I also seem to remember that Jimbo once mentioned that he's "friends" with the founder(s) of Foursquare. I don't have time to do it, but that should be pretty easy to look up.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 12:24pm) *

I also seem to remember that Jimbo once mentioned that he's "friends" with the founder(s) of Foursquare. I don't have time to do it, but that should be pretty easy to look up.

He does seem to be linking himself to it as an admirer, but nothing seems to come up.

I did come across this where he re-invents his role in founding Wikipedia and putting down Larry as the one who had the bad idea of wanting to be academic. Note how it makes it sound like the Wiki was his idea, while Larry was the stuck in the mud one. Did we not pick up on this before?

Larry [Sanger, editor-in-chief of Wikipedia's forerunner Nupedia] won those debates because he thought we should be very academic. He made the argument that we should be more academic than Britannica because, as it's from the internet, no one will trust us unless it's very serious. And I thought, you know, it's a good argument. Knowing what we knew then, which was very little about community management, it sounded quite reasonable. It was reasonable. He was right, given our knowledge at that time.

"But by the time Wikipedia rolled around, I thought, 'This has always been in the back of my mind: why are we not more open? Why don't we just let people do stuff?' I was optimistic, which is one of my failings and one of my strengths.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 8:21am) *

He does seem to be linking himself to it as an admirer, but nothing seems to come up.

Apparently not, as he says here that he doesn't know why he posts to foursquare, and isn't sure what it's for.

That "interactive interview" is hilarious, btw. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 2:49pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 8:21am) *

Apparently not, as he says here that he doesn't know why he posts to foursquare, and isn't sure what it's for.

That "interactive interview" is hilarious, btw. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Craziest entry: apparently his idea of crazy is liking playing chess with friends - which got picked up by a magazine: "... so there was a reliable source for it, ha, ha." Even Jimbo has disappeared up his own exhaust pipe then (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
thekohser   Jimbo in Key West  
radek   Jimbo's eating where I ate breakfast on Febru...  
jd turk   Are you trying to be ultra creepy? Or is this som...  
radek   Are you trying to be ultra creepy? Or is this so...  
thekohser   I'm simply posting info that is all true, but ...  
Cunningly Linguistic   ...and I did get married about 2 miles off shore t...  
Fusion   ...and I did get married about 2 miles off shore ...  
Cunningly Linguistic   [quote name='Cunningly Linguistic' post='299889' ...  
Fusion   I take it English isn't your first language? ...  
thekohser   Yes, you should. No doubt many people here are c...  
we_are_devo   I'm simply posting info that is all true, but...  
Tarc   I'm simply posting info that is all true, but...  
Text   Do people normally find tree frogs in toilets in F...  
thekohser   Do people normally find tree frogs in toilets in ...  
The Joy   Jimbo is tweeting this stuff. :o :sick: https:...  
Cedric   Jimbo is tweeting this stuff. :o :sick: https...  
dogbiscuit   [quote name='The Joy' post='300033' date='Wed 29t...  
carbuncle   [quote name='The Joy' post='300033' date='Wed 29t...  
EricBarbour   :yak:  
Selina   twitter.com/wikipediarev :) Check out the Lists +...  
dogbiscuit   Note he Twittered seeing going to No 10. That is g...  
thekohser   Imagine, though, how awful it is when one celebrit...  
The Joy   Jimbo just retweeted this: Think he's readi...  
timbo   Jimbo's eating where I ate breakfast on Febru...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: