FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Inactive Wikipedia administrator survey hoax -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Inactive Wikipedia administrator survey hoax
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

Group: Regulars

<edit> looks like a hoax, see tarantino's post below

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewfor...EU3RuX2RoREE6MA

Looks like the survey is being run by Steven Walling and "a Community Health Task Force volunteer who wishes to remain anonymous".

----

related thread; The "holy shit" slide on editor retention, Sue Gardner on Wikipedia's death spiral

This post has been edited by TungstenCarbide:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 15th February 2012, 2:49pm) *

The survey wasn't approved by Walling or the WMF, and it was run by long-term puppetmaster Nrcprm2026.

00:13, 14 February 2012 Philippe (WMF) (talk | contribs) deleted "User:James Salsman/Inactive administrators survey" ‎ (OFFICE action. Per WMF Legal team.)
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 15th February 2012, 5:23pm) *
The survey wasn't approved by Walling or the WMF, and it was run by long-term puppetmaster Nrcprm2026.

00:13, 14 February 2012 Philippe (WMF) (talk | contribs) deleted "User:James Salsman/Inactive administrators survey" ‎ (OFFICE action. Per WMF Legal team.)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) - that's a funny hoax, someone went through a lot of effort to make it - thanks tarantino. Nrcprm2026 has been socking for over 5 years it look like. I wondered of he's a disgruntled ex-administrator.

This post has been edited by TungstenCarbide:
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 15th February 2012, 5:37pm) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 15th February 2012, 5:23pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) - that's a funny hoax, someone went through a lot of effort to make it - thanks tarantino. Nrcprm2026 has been socking for over 5 years it look like. I wondered of he's a disgruntled ex-administrator.

Though he's been banned for years on enwp, he just ignores it. For whatever reason, he takes wikimedia and himself seriously and wasn't intending for this to be a hoax.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cas...nia_Chapter.pdf
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?titl...t=James+Salsman

Also, if you see an IP from the SF Bay area on the noticeboards or reference desk, chances are it's him.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 15th February 2012, 8:05pm) *

Also, if you see an IP from the SF Bay area on the noticeboards or reference desk, chances are it's him.

Here he is again, haunting the noticeboards.
+Quote Post
jsalsman

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 20th February 2012, 6:59pm) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 15th February 2012, 8:05pm) *

Here he is again, haunting the noticeboards.

That's not me. I haven't been in the Bay Area since last September, although I probably will return pretty soon. Then off to an undisclosed location and a fancy proxy configuration for the mother of all fresh starts.

Eric, please be patient. I got another valid survey response just this morning so I'm holding it open until at least the weekend before I write up the data.

So far over a dozen formerly inactive admins have returned to editing enwiki after receiving the survey; some appear to be very active: ThaddeusB, C12H22O11, CBDunkerson, Cholmes75, Cobaltbluetony, EWS23, Enochlau, Firsfron, Guettarda, Hall_Monitor, James086, ReyBrujo, RobyWayne. This is a far better result than anyone had hoped.

Cheers,
Jim

P.S. Ask a serial sockpuppeter who believes improving the encyclopedia is more important than obeying its rules anything.
+Quote Post
iii

QUOTE(jsalsman @ Wed 22nd February 2012, 1:05pm) *
P.S. Ask a serial sockpuppeter who believes improving the encyclopedia is more important than obeying its rules anything.

What's with the cold fusion obsession?
+Quote Post
jsalsman

QUOTE(iii @ Fri 24th February 2012, 5:07am) *

My arch-nemesis fellow serial sockpuppeteer Science Apologist and a handful of other less transgressive editors are constantly trying to remove any sources which suggest that cold fusion was anything other than a pseudoscientific scam. The problem is that there is plenty of peer reviewed secondary evidence that it's not a scam, just really hard to get right. Very few experimenters realized that they were losing hydrogen through their cathode power wiring.

I think it's a great article to work on because the hegemony is actively trying to suppress what has basically emerged as the dominant point of view in the peer reviewed literature for a decade now, because of the psychological association of the idea with scientific negligence. As the excuses get flimsier and flimsier over the years, it is great practice for spotting degenerate editing patterns. Arbcom has cast their lot in with the wrong side, and about five people have been banned for trying to accurately represent the peer reviewed secondary literature. No other article has come close to that situation, so of course I'm fascinated by the dynamics there.

I'm very excited about the Defkalion tests in Athens today. Supposedly the Greek government is involved in the validation, so win, lose, or draw it should hit the press hard enough that they'll probably let NASA's recent work back in to the article.
+Quote Post
iii

QUOTE(jsalsman @ Fri 24th February 2012, 1:48pm) *

QUOTE(iii @ Fri 24th February 2012, 5:07am) *
I think it's a great article to work on because the hegemony is actively trying to suppress what has basically emerged as the dominant point of view in the peer reviewed literature for a decade now, because of the psychological association of the idea with scientific negligence. As the excuses get flimsier and flimsier over the years, it is great practice for spotting degenerate editing patterns. Arbcom has cast their lot in with the wrong side, and about five people have been banned for trying to accurately represent the peer reviewed secondary literature. No other article has come close to that situation, so of course I'm fascinated by the dynamics there.
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 24th February 2012, 3:57pm) *
If you want WP to handle cold fusion, or any other controversial
scientific area, neutrally---fix Wikipedia's culture first, not the bloody articles.

Your suggestion, Eric assumes fixability, of course.

After fighting to get recognition for these ideas "for a decade now", it must be really tantalizing for you, jsalsman, to have within your grasp what appears to be an easily usable mouthpiece "that anyone can edit" only to be thrown up against the deliberate inanity of Wikipedia bureaucracy. Indeed, there's something beautifully symmetric about angry-at-the-"hegemony" special-interest editors going toe-to-toe with angry-at-the-experts psychophants. Pitting the two against each posits an equivalence where by special-interest editors sees themselves as experts while psychophants see themselves as hegemony.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TungstenCarbide   Inactive Wikipedia administrator survey hoax  
TungstenCarbide   Timeline of an inactive admin; 1- edits Wikipedia ...  
No one of consequence   5- looks around and sees despicable worms of all ...  
everyking   5- looks around and sees despicable worms of all...  
No one of consequence   I suppose that does sound better than "despi...  
TungstenCarbide   That's not me. I haven't been in the Bay A...  
jsalsman   Did you intentionally try to mislead people with y...  
SB_Johnny   So far over a dozen formerly inactive admins have...  
EricBarbour   So far over a dozen formerly inactive admins have...  
tarantino   [quote name='tarantino' post='298471' date='Mon 2...  
jsalsman   My apologies, and welcome to The Review. Don...  
EricBarbour   I think it's a great article to work on becau...  
Fusion   P.S. Ask a serial sockpuppeter who believes impro...  
EricBarbour   I will email Salsman and ask him if he would talk ...  
TungstenCarbide   In case you didn't know, [url=http://talknicer...  
Kelly Martin   I will email Salsman and ask him if he would talk...  
EricBarbour   See also this G+ thread. That bears repeating her...  
EricBarbour   Yes, and you should read the Nrcprm2026 SPI. This ...  
Kelly Martin   It should also be noted that Pat Gunn is Improv, o...  
EricBarbour   Salsman's been talking about WMF people on his...  
tarantino   Now in addition to the accounts he used to send 30...  
HRIP7   Now in addition to the accounts he used to send 3...  
iii   I don't know what's wrong with Mr. Salsman...  
EricBarbour   I don't know what's wrong with Mr. Salsma...  
TungstenCarbide   I don't know what's wrong with Mr. Salsm...  
iii   a) I don't get that impression from looking at...  
Kelly Martin   The behavior of WMF staff and sundry in this affai...  
iii   The behavior of WMF staff and sundry in this affa...  
tarantino   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='298065' date='Th...  
EricBarbour   I'm beginning to think iii is right--he hasn...  
Kelly Martin   Well, technically I'm not an inactive admin be...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)