FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
How to be obtuse -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to be obtuse
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

Watch and learn, as Will demonstrates the ancient art of how to wear down your opponent by pretending you're a half-wit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

The LaRouche article has clearly been taken out of context. This LaRouche 'AIDS/Gay bashing' nonsense has been rumbling for years on WP, and stems from some out of context quotes used by political propagandists Berlet and King.

Here is the original from the 1980s. Incidentally, LaRouche's article reads as one would expect. He seems to think British football hooligans were teen gangs (most were in their 20s, 30s and even 40s), who were creating a wave of "lynchings" of AIDS sufferers (which obviously never happened). Then he draws a distinction between the "Protestant ethic" of Britain which he claims "encultered" football violence, and Catholic countries who have a different "tradition of the confessional" and hence no such propensity - which would come as a surprise to the vast organized hooligan gangs in Catholic Italy and Argentina! But that's LaRouche. Why make informed statements, when you can concoct some lunatic theory that doesn't stand up to cursory reading? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 25th June 2009, 2:42am) *

Then he draws a distinction between the "Protestant ethic" of Britain which he claims "encultered" football violence, and Catholic countries who have a different "tradition of the confessional" and hence no such propensity - which would come as a surprise to the vast organized hooligan gangs in Catholic Italy and Argentina!

Not to mention Glasgow Celtic. If you told one of their supporters theyd been "encultered" to the "Protestant ethic" of Britain you might find something shoved somewhere!

+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 24th June 2009, 6:42pm) *

This LaRouche 'AIDS/Gay bashing' nonsense has been rumbling for years on WP, and stems from some out of context quotes used by political propagandists Berlet and King.
Yes, this was in the heyday of the LaRouche wars. The article from "New Solidarity" is an arguably non-notable primary source, but the Chipster thought that by doing a cut-and-paste job, he could make it look like LaRouche wanted to beat up gays. Out of this content battle came the "cooked quotes" talk sub-page, which has amazingly never been oversighted. But when I called attention to it (and the way Chip was creating new pages at Political Research Associates purely to aid in edit warring at Wikipedia) here and here, the ArbCom studiously ignored it.
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

I was more interested in the charming way in which Will pretends he can't understand anything Leatherstocking says.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Will has now graduated to a full-on rampage over the "Views" article, in which he is demanding that this section on gays and AIDS, which he denounces, be replaced with this one, which he has newly authored. However, in an amusing development, Leatherstocking has ascertained that Will also authored the old one.

This is cute, too.
+Quote Post
Rhindle

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 30th June 2009, 10:47pm) *

I think you should appeal your ban too. Put him completely over the edge. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

It might work, too. I've thought about it. But then I'd have to edit Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 30th June 2009, 10:47pm) *

Will has now graduated to a full-on rampage over the "Views" article, in which he is demanding that this section on gays and AIDS, which he denounces, be replaced with this one, which he has newly authored. However, in an amusing development, Leatherstocking has ascertained that Will also authored the old one.

This is cute, too.

Is Will Beback one of those ever-persecuted-type gay people? If so, it would explain some his ire in the LaRouche matter, which is otherwise nearly inexplicable. I mean, it's not like the LaRouche cult took his money and stole his family. LaRouche isn't Scientology. What can the man ever have possibly done to Beback to get this kind of treatment?

Now, there's nothing wrong with being gay or Jewish. And if you're either one in Germany in 1934, you would have a right to a certain paranoia. But in Los Angeles, 2009, where Mr. Beback resides, playing those cards to explain paranoia just doesn't cut it. Since Will Beback is not Jewish, there's something else going on. But whatever it is, he's obviously gone over the edge, here.

Hey, Will! We laugh at LaRouche! You should, too! And we laugh at you.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 1st July 2009, 4:47pm) *

It might work, too. I've thought about it. But then I'd have to edit Wikipedia.

Edit? Oh, I don't know -- think of it as Facebook with encyclopedia articles. Just ignore those boring old encyclopedia articles and hang out with the fun kids. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Will and Leatherstocking are well into overtime now. The dispute is over an assortment of dubious news clippings about Activists Behaving Badly, which Will wants to make the central focus of the Views of LaRouche article (in place of LaRouche's views, which are considered irrelevant by Will. or at the very least, poorly sourced, coming as they do from LaRouche.) So the epic battle spills over briefly into the Reliable Sources noticeboard, then to the No Original Research noticeboard where the arguments are so abstruse that no one else participates (except for a brief cameo appearance by SlimVirgin,) and now the BLP noticeboard. As always, I'm rooting for Will, because I hope that his stolidly irrational and relentless, grinding approach to pushing his POV will one day win him the Dick of Distinction award that he has worked so hard for so long to achieve.

And when it comes to delivering a line like this with a straight face, no one can top Will Beback.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

This has finally made it to ANI, with an interesting contribution by Georgewilliamherbert (T-C-L-K-R-D) . He reveals that Will is "the admin working content," whereas George is "the admin working enforcement." He says that this arrangement enables them both to "avoid having a COI." Has such an arrangement ever been mentioned before? In particular, what is the meaning of an "admin working content"?
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

It's back at ANI. Will Beback has been on a editing binge of truly SlimVirginian proportions, and it looks like it's All LaRouche, All the Time (thank God he's not an SPA.) He was bested by the LaRouche guys several times in a row at the Reliable Sources board, and finally he just went ballistic and got them all banned as Herschel socks. Leatherstocking is making a futile protest about it. But LS misses one of the banned editors, Harry Angstrom (T-C-L-K-R-D) . I thought Harry was just collateral damage, because he didn't really participate in the battles, but then I realized something bigger was afoot, because Harry touched the Holy of Holies, i.e. [[Sierra Club#Immigration controversy]]. For Will, this is as big a deal as Animal Rights is for Slim.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Tue 11th August 2009, 6:32am) *

It's back at ANI. Will Beback has been on a editing binge of truly SlimVirginian proportions, and it looks like it's All LaRouche, All the Time (thank God he's not an SPA.) He was bested by the LaRouche guys several times in a row at the Reliable Sources board, and finally he just went ballistic and got them all banned as Herschel socks. Leatherstocking is making a futile protest about it. But LS misses one of the banned editors, Harry Angstrom (T-C-L-K-R-D) . I thought Harry was just collateral damage, because he didn't really participate in the battles, but then I realized something bigger was afoot, because Harry touched the Holy of Holies, i.e. [[Sierra Club#Immigration controversy]]. For Will, this is as big a deal as Animal Rights is for Slim.

Herschel, were those three accounts yours, or is GWH or some unnamed checkuser lying or mistaken?
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 11th August 2009, 12:26am) *
Herschel, were those three accounts yours, or is GWH or some unnamed checkuser lying or mistaken?

Who cares?
Will Beback is such a tight-rectumed little shit,
he deserves to be sock-tortured.
By Hersch, or by anyone else up for it.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Like I was saying, amateur thespianism is the wave of the future for WikiCulture.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

For those of you who missed my grand mea culpa in another thread, my abusive sock account at Wikipedia was Helen Hochwasser (T-C-L-K-R-D) .
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

More to the point, did you gain any ground by studying and employing the more effective practices of Mr. Baxter?
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Not really. I was somewhat disconcerted when Poetguy's Sybil-like sock disorder came to light, because I was thoroughly taken in, and was on friendly terms with some of the socks, while having a contentious relationship with others. I wanted to put it out of my mind.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 11th August 2009, 7:58am) *

For those of you who missed my grand mea culpa in another thread, my abusive sock account at Wikipedia was Helen Hochwasser (T-C-L-K-R-D) .

Helen Highwater, eh? Instead of being labeled a sock that whole page has been nuked from orbit by Ryulong. My, what special treatment you get on WP.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)