FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Alison retired? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alison retired?
Gold heart

Lean duck!

Group: Inactive

Is it just the admim/checkuser/oversighter tools, or is it the whole affair with WP?

My analysis is that the project is going nowhere, just around in circles. With no goal in mind, how can Jimbo and the Foundation expect to keep the team together? Well you are in good company, many have been lost this last couple of years, the "saga" just goes on and on!

Checkuser must have been a pain in the butt, Jimbo should be made to do some of the dirty-work tool (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirFozzie

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

Can't say I saw this coming but we talked a while back and I should have. She was dealing with Wikipedia at its absolute cesspool worst, Oversight work is no fun and hard on the soul.

And there was really no making a clean break of it to her.. she did so much that if she hadn't made a full break, she would get trapped in a vicious cycle.

Remember that old line about "When you stare into the Abyss, the Abyss stares back at you?"

I think Allie was tired of the abyss's stare
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

I thought she announced her retirement awhile ago, although she never fully went through with it. Well, I think it's probably for the best. I wish she would just give up (or ignore) adminship and become an ordinary editor, but I'm not sure she's capable of that.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Fri 6th March 2009, 7:24pm) *

Is it just the admim/checkuser/oversighter tools, or is it the whole affair with WP?

You missed it yesterday. And yeah, pretty-much the whole deal. If I edit again, it'll likely be with a different account. I'm done.

(My last edit was to create [[Ballymagash]] and link it to [[Hall's Pictorial Weekly]]. Not many people will get that, but you likely will (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) )

QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 6th March 2009, 9:02pm) *

I wish she would just give up (or ignore) adminship and become an ordinary editor, but I'm not sure she's capable of that.

Why? I was an 'ordinary editor' for ages before all that admin nonsense, and I spent my time editing Irish and medical articles. I'm still editing on other wikis without any problems, sysop bit or not.

Not sure what your point is here, EK??
+Quote Post
SirFozzie

Ãœber Member

EK are you aware that she did give up all her rights on en-WP? Checkuser, Oversight, Admin etcetera?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 6th March 2009, 10:05pm) *

You missed it yesterday. And yeah, pretty-much the whole deal. If I edit again, it'll likely be with a different account. I'm done.

[...]

Why? I was an 'ordinary editor' for ages before all that admin nonsense, and I spent my time editing Irish and medical articles. I'm still editing on other wikis without any problems, sysop bit or not.

QUOTE(Yeats)
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

Now for more slouching. They surely deserve what they're headed for, and I for one am going to enjoy the many indignant shorebirds. It's already entertaining.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

Hoorah for Alison. As we always suspected, she is a reasonable person, and her reasonability and concern for others finally triumphed over the petty laurels of wiki-society. To the moderate but deluded Wikipidiot, it may appear that a powerful admin without an obvious axe to grind has left the project to more partisan and less ethical hands, but the truth is it was always thus dominated, and Alison could never sway it. Hoorah for Alison for departing a corrupt regime.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Alison @ Sat 7th March 2009, 6:05am) *

(My last edit was to create [[Ballymagash]] and link it to [[Hall's Pictorial Weekly]]. Not many people will get that, but you likely will (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) )

QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 6th March 2009, 9:02pm) *

I wish she would just give up (or ignore) adminship and become an ordinary editor, but I'm not sure she's capable of that.

Because you've been saying this kind of thing for such a long time, yet I always see you on here talking about your administrative activities.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 7th March 2009, 6:35am) *

QUOTE(Alison @ Sat 7th March 2009, 6:05am) *

Because you've been saying this kind of thing for such a long time, yet I always see you on here talking about your administrative activities.

Well now, how exactly am I going to do that without a sysop bit, hm? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) I can hardly do "that kind of thing" without one, now can I?

People have always advised that on retirement, I hang on to those all-important, fancy-schmancy 'bits'. In practice, that just doesn't work, as it's just another tie to keep you there.
+Quote Post
Gold heart

Lean duck!

QUOTE(Alison @ Sat 7th March 2009, 5:05am) *

Good old Frank and the lads down in legendary mythical [[Ballymagash]] (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) . I'm missing a lot of news lately, just 60 minutes a day computer work and eyesight in jeopardy of deterioration. There'll be a lota blind folk around WP, if that's not already the case! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Sat 7th March 2009, 4:34am) *

I think Allie was tired of the abyss's stare

Yeah, it's a pit without a bottom. The reason for that scenario is that there is no "end game". One important progressive step would be to implement verified accounts, and log in. Until then the circus will go on and on, a modern day version of the Flavian Amphitheatre. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Sat 7th March 2009, 12:43pm) *
Good old Frank and the lads down in legendary mythical [[Ballymagash]] (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) . I'm missing a lot of news lately, just 60 minutes a day computer work and eyesight in jeopardy of deterioration. There'll be a lota blind folk around WP, if that's not already the case!

Not only will they be blind, they'll be using WP tags in places where they don't work....... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Alison, you'll always be a sysop in my book.
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(Alison @ Sat 7th March 2009, 12:02pm) *

People have always advised that on retirement, I hang on to those all-important, fancy-schmancy 'bits'. In practice, that just doesn't work, as it's just another tie to keep you there.

Exactly. When I retired, so many people asked why I resigned the bit. Why not just keep it and not use it? But like you say, it is just another tie. And while it would be handy for the BLP work I continue to do periodically, it's best not to have the temptation to use it for other stuff, possibly finding myself sucked back in. Same thing with protecting my pages. Without my bit, I can't even post to my own talk page at this point, and it's kept anyone else from posting their pleas and kind messages. Not that I don't appreciate the thought, but I don't need anything to suck me back in.

If an admin is truly wanting to retire, the best two options are to go out like Dfrg.msc (T-C-L-K-R-D) and just slowly fade away without anyone really noticing and don't come back. Or go out by resigning your bit after fully protecting your pages, and disabling email. I chose that option. I have since re-enabled my email for BLP related reasons, though.

Anyway, point is, blocking one's self to prevent stupid actions or editing is sort of silly considering (unless I missed something) admins can still unblock themselves. Taking five seconds to unblock yourself, vs taking the time to find a 'crat to give you your bit back is completely different.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Sun 8th March 2009, 6:43pm) *

QUOTE(Alison @ Sat 7th March 2009, 12:02pm) *

Exactly. When I retired, so many people asked why I resigned the bit. Why not just keep it and not use it? But like you say, it is just another tie. And while it would be handy for the BLP work I continue to do periodically, it's best not to have the temptation to use it for other stuff, possibly finding myself sucked back in. Same thing with protecting my pages. Without my bit, I can't even post to my own talk page at this point, and it's kept anyone else from posting their pleas and kind messages. Not that I don't appreciate the thought, but I don't need anything to suck me back in.

If an admin is truly wanting to retire, the best two options are to go out like Dfrg.msc (T-C-L-K-R-D) and just slowly fade away without anyone really noticing and don't come back. Or go out by resigning your bit after fully protecting your pages, and disabling email. I chose that option. I have since re-enabled my email for BLP related reasons, though.

Anyway, point is, blocking one's self to prevent stupid actions or editing is sort of silly considering (unless I missed something) admins can still unblock themselves. Taking five seconds to unblock yourself, vs taking the time to find a 'crat to give you your bit back is completely different.

(My underlining) Which, of course, is the last bit of umbilical cord that likely never quite severs - someone like Alison will always be able to get the bits back upon request, no matter what her current username, as long as she identifies herself to the satisfaction of the 'crat community/ArbCom/Jimbo. I don't think it derogatory to say that I think that Alison is fully aware of that potential, and it takes nothing away from the honourable withdrawal from sysop+ing that she has recently enacted. That door remains open, and possibly only removing yourself completely from the project(s) will cause that draught to cease.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Speaking just for myself, of course, Wikipedia is an addiction. I'm addicted to writing/editing articles about subjects that interest me. It's an addiction that does affect my personal life, because it takes time that I could be spending on other things. I assume that being heavily involved in Wikipedia's administration can also be addicting, which means that it may be hard for someone to walk away from it.

I've given up justifying my addiction based on the assumption that I'm helping create this truly wonderful encyclopedia for the world. As poorly managed as Wikipedia is, I don't see how that lofty goal could ever be reached without some drastic changes. I do feel, however, that the articles I put a lot of time into are of some value because people do read them, and I have them saved to my PC so that I can post them at Citizendium or Knol or some other place if Wikipedia ever goes kaput.

An honest admin like Alison does/did important work helping keep Wikipedia running. Nevertheless, I can see that it might be harder to justify to oneself further involvement when you don't see much progress being made as a result of your efforts.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

Why not sell the admin account for profit?
+Quote Post
Gold heart

Lean duck!

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 9th March 2009, 4:30am) *

Why not sell the admin account for profit?
I'll buy that! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

Something really cool after playing
on the "WP field of battle"

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/letsgetdrunk.gif)
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

You could always give it to Dereks1x for the lulz.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 9th March 2009, 2:41pm) *

You could always give it to Dereks1x for the lulz.

lol - you guys!! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
emesee

ban me

Group: Tanked
Member No.: 8,586

freedom (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)