FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Cleaning up after Dr. Blofeld -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cleaning up after Dr. Blofeld, ..he can do it himself (Yepp: I'm quitting wp)
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

Group: Regulars

Whaw: who would have guessed: after years of complaining and raging again "the cabal" on wp; the person to force me out of turns out to be...Dr. Blofeld (T-C-L-K-R-D) ,

May I introduce myself, I am Huldra (T-C-L-K-R-D) on wp (Btw; I have criticized SlimVirgin every way I could for these last few years....except for her silly user-name. As I am probably the only person on WP to have chosen an even sillier user-name (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) )

Now, about 3 years ago, utterly pissed off by Jayjg and Slim, I found my own quiet little corner of Israel/Palestine -articles: Palestinian Arab villages depopulated during the 1948 Palestine War

It was a strange little corner of Wikipedia; every now and then some newbie would start a horrible stub, often half in Arabic, with tons and tons of WP:OR. Typically they would only do a few edits (less that 20) and then disappear from WP totally......which then the "clean-up-task-force" (read: mostly me, Al Ameer son, Tiamut, Ashely (when he´s not blocked) ) would come along and clean up.

So we would turn this into Al-Muzayri'a . And this into Al-Nabi_Yusha' . And this into Saqiya.

Not superb any of them, but at least a decent start. This last one is typical: I think someone simply put the Khalidi-text (in Arabic) through some automatic translation ..so you get gems like "in recent years on the assignment," ...meaning: "in the last years of the (British) Mandate (of Palestine)" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Oh, and some we just never got around cleaning up: Al-Ja'una

So, slowly, steadfast during the last couple of years we have been progressing. The huge template has been invaluable...but I could only navigate around it because many of the links were red.

Until yesterday. Blofeld comes along and find he does not like red links, and decides that he will start all the red-linked villages...and turn the whole template into on huuuge green soup. And does just that.

Now, I cannot manage to navigate with it anymore.
Oh, well, Blofeld say he will work on the articles, and he does, but he does not have the sources (books). So far he has added nothing to the "public knowledge", he only copies from web-sites which were freely available, anyway. Re-inventing (or: re-writing) the wheel, so to speak. Now, if actually got hold of the books and educated himself on the topic: great. But I fear that in a short time he will be gone (he has a million other articles to attend too, as he has informed us.)

I liked this comment about reaching 3 mill articles on wp: "great, I've managed to poo in every room in the house"

Well, I leave it to Blofeld to clean up his own diarrhoea, eh, poo. I´m out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mariner

Group: Contributors

You have learnt a lesson the hard way

Now you are wiser as to wikipedia

chalk it up to experience
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

I'm always disappointed when I find out the Wikipedia user name of a WR poster, and it turns out to be somebody I've never heard of. Personally, I'd always hoped that the Adversary was Newyorkbrad.

Anyway, happy trails. Will you be sticking around here?
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 18th August 2009, 11:27am) *
Oh, well, Blofeld say he will work on the articles, and he does, but he does not have the sources (books). So far he has added nothing to the "public knowledge", he only copies from web-sites which were freely available, anyway. Re-inventing (or: re-writing) the wheel, so to speak. Now, if actually got hold of the books and educated himself on the topic: great. But I fear that in a short time he will be gone (he has a million other articles to attend too, as he has informed us.)

He won't work on the articles to any significant extent - if you press him on the subject, he'll probably make a token effort just to get you to stop, and then he'll just move on to the next mass page-creation nightmare, whatever it happens to be that week. If you "RfC" him he'll claim he's being victimized, and if anyone else criticizes him for it he'll make a big show of pretending to quit Wikipedia forever, and then return to his old habits within a week, sometimes less.

He's one of the worst there is, at least in terms of creating shit content. Maybe the worst. We often focus on WP'ers who are manipulative, pushy, and abusive towards others, which Blofeld is mostly not - but in terms of real, lasting damage to the cause of knowledge and intellectual inquiry, most of those people don't hold a candle to him.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

There's a proposal up at the village pump to curtain such activities, or at least get someone to vet them...

Wikipedia:VPP#Proposal:_Any_large-scale_semi-.2Fautomated_article_creation_task_require_BRFA
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 18th August 2009, 12:37pm) *
There's a proposal up at the village pump to curtain such activities, or at least get someone to vet them...

Wikipedia:VPP#Proposal:_Any_large-scale_semi-.2Fautomated_article_creation_task_require_BRFA

Ha! About frickin' time.

Not that they'll actually do anything about it - Wikipedia's usual modus operandi is to have Jimbo announce to the press that WP is now "more concerned about quality than quantity," all while the site does nothing to stop people like Blofeld from further plunging the shrinking user community into a permanent site-wide maintenance nightmare.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:19pm) *

I'm always disappointed when I find out the Wikipedia user name of a WR poster, and it turns out to be somebody I've never heard of. Personally, I'd always hoped that the Adversary was Newyorkbrad.

I saw him at Naked short selling last summer. He chipped in when Janneyryan and JohnnyB256 seemed to be doing a tag team.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(One @ Tue 18th August 2009, 12:48pm) *
I saw him at Naked short selling last summer. He chipped in when Janneyryan and JohnnyB256 seemed to be doing a tag team.

It's "her," isn't it? "Huldra" isn't something a guy would call himself, unless he were... you know. AFAIK the word refers to a kind of mythical Scandanavian temptress who lives in forests and kills men who fail to get the job done, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Oops, wait, there's a WP article on the subject...
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:54pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Tue 18th August 2009, 12:48pm) *

It's "her," isn't it? "Huldra" isn't something a guy would call himself, unless he were... you know. AFAIK the word refers to a kind of mythical Scandanavian temptress who lives in forests and kills men who fail to get the job done, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Oh. I tend to do that. Sorry.

Now you're just going to excite horsey.
+Quote Post
Friday

I ran into this Blofeld kid once before.. I don't remember where, but it was another case of mass-creating articles with almost no content. In that case, there was already a main article that had all the same info. He appears to earnestly believe that a higher number of discrete pages is always better.

I tried to convince him otherwise and I found him very unresponsive to reason. Almost immediately, he stopped participating in any relevant and useful discussing, and instead started whining about how evil admins are. So I gave up.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(One @ Tue 18th August 2009, 2:09pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:54pm) *

Now you're just going to excite horsey.

Eh, phooey -- Horsey doesn't like this Huldra. Remember, this broad recommended turning me into a gelding! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) I wouldn't touch her with a 10-foot pole. However, I know a 10-inch Pole who might be interested in chatting her up! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

QUOTE(Friday @ Tue 18th August 2009, 3:02pm) *

I ran into this Blofeld kid once before.. I don't remember where, but it was another case of mass-creating articles with almost no content. In that case, there was already a main article that had all the same info. He appears to earnestly believe that a higher number of discrete pages is always better.

That's why they call him Earnest Blofeld. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

I tried to convince him otherwise and I found him very unresponsive to reason.

Maybe you're just a lousy communicator? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 18th August 2009, 12:27pm) *

Until yesterday. Blofeld comes along and find he does not like red links, and decides that he will start all the red-linked villages...and turn the whole template into on huuuge green soup. And does just that.

That's my Blo! He deserves a big Horsey kiss! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 18th August 2009, 9:27am) *

So, slowly, steadfast during the last couple of years we have been progressing. The huge template has been invaluable...but I could only navigate around it because many of the links were red.

Now, I cannot manage to navigate with it anymore.

A shame. Some people (ahem) managed to get enough teeth into WP:REDLINK some time ago to get Blofeld sanctioned for this. If you were willing to make a case of it. I don't think Blofeld's Wiki-rep underwear are quite clean, so he's vulnerable. If you know what I'm sayin. Little bald guy with a neckbrace in a wheelchair just now. No cat in evidence. Needs to meet Bond flying a helicopter, looking for revenge for Tracy....
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

Dr. Blofeld is a pox on Wikipedia. He creates thousands of useless stubs without actually contributing anything useful.

He's been making a mess for years. He's pissed off many, but no one can really do anything about it.

I ran into this Blofeld kid once before.. I don't remember where, but it was another case of mass-creating articles with almost no content.

I remember where, because you've posted about it before. It was regarding mass-creation of highway stubs.

This post has been edited by Anonymous editor:
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 18th August 2009, 4:13pm) *

A shame. Some people (ahem) managed to get enough teeth into WP:REDLINK some time ago

I'm no dentist, but I'm having trouble finding these teeth you speak of ?
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Apparently Blofeld lurks here, as he's on the warpath now;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...ersonal_attacks
+Quote Post
nableezy

Member No.: 11,908

QUOTE(Tarc @ Tue 18th August 2009, 4:05pm) *

Since I cant say this on-wiki after a warning for "personal attacks", Blofeld is a cunt.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Oh, I love Blofeld -- good for you, character! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

And a big Horsey kiss to Malleus for his input in that smackdown. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wub.gif)

But the August Asshole Award goes to Protonk for this pithy comment in the midst of the talk:

"I'd block him for the unbelievably over the top personal attack/harangue, but I don't want the drama, honestly." - Protonk

Yes, he is staking out a damn highland on that one! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

Same old, same old. We saw this with Aitias, who tried to get EricBarbour blocked.
Even if they don't post here, a lot of the most active Wikipedians read here.

You know, because there isn't nearly enough drama provided by the noticeboards.

I guess we can now debate which is the more entertaining result. Aitias starting a thread asking for a block, or Blofeld going around personally attacking people who said mean things about him.

off topic question: what happened to Naerii/Kamryn? I recall she was made a mod, but I haven't seen her around.

This post has been edited by Anonymous editor:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Well, now Smashville unblocked him. That was fun. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

Ah, my very last DYK: "Did you know, that The Adversary on the wikipediareview website has reputation for being extremely nasty and unpleasant about other wikipedians?" (We can take that as a co-nom, Blofeld and Huldra) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

And anyway, I am also a stinking nasty little bitch. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

Oh boy. I have been working on these 48-villages for 3+ years. Now the "Bible" here is the book by Khalidi (1992) , + Morris (2004). Blofeldt does not, AFAK, have even these (basic) books available. When he starts all these articles about the 48-villages, he *only* copies/rehash material which is already on the net. He, IMHO, he simply does not "add value" to the net doing this. Call that what you want.

And by doing so he chase away those -at least one- who actually did "add value", ie added information which was not already freely available on the net.

I was literally sitting crying my eyes out last night, seeing what he was doing, knowing that it would chase me of WP. I felt run over by a bulldozer. So I don´t really care what he calls me (or I call him). The damage is done.
QUOTE(One @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:48pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:19pm) *

Ah yes, one of my better moment

(And I´m female! And, eh, born a true troll (It takes one to know one) ....and a hard-core feminist.. (That´s part of horsey that I´m eating in my avatar..yummy.. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) ) and yeah, I might stick around.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:34pm) *

(That´s part of horsey that I´m eating in my avatar..yummy.. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) )

In yer dreams, girlfriend! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

I was literally sitting crying my eyes out last night, seeing what he was doing, knowing that it would chase me of WP. I felt run over by a bulldozer. So I don´t really care what he calls me (or I call him). The damage is done.

It really isn't the end of the world, though.

He has basically tilled the soil for you to plant seeds in.

Can't you sort the articles by quality through a WikiProject or Task force tag?

This post has been edited by Apathetic:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 18th August 2009, 1:55pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 18th August 2009, 4:13pm) *

A shame. Some people (ahem) managed to get enough teeth into WP:REDLINK some time ago

I'm no dentist, but I'm having trouble finding these teeth you speak of ?

See the LEDE.

Good red links help Wikipedia—they encourage new contributors in useful directions, and remind us that Wikipedia is far from finished.

So redlinks help Wikipedia grow. They should NOT be killed in unfair ways, just to see them disappear. Creating a stupid worthless stub obviously does that.

In general, a red link should be allowed to remain in an article if it links to a term that could plausibly sustain an article, but for which there exists no candidate article, or article section, under any name.

But like I said, I'm sorry I didn't get to add what I really wanted to say in the NUTSHELL, which is "Unless you have a good sourced contributive article to direct a valid redlink to, LEAVE THE FUCKING THINGS ALONE."

The part about "And if you don't like the color red, go to your reader preferences and fix it so you see redlinks as question marks," is already there.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 18th August 2009, 6:25pm) *

Good red links help Wikipedia—they encourage new contributors in useful directions, and remind us that Wikipedia is far from finished.

So redlinks help Wikipedia grow. They should NOT be killed in unfair ways, just to see them disappear. Creating a stupid worthless stub obviously does that.

If this is what that means, it should probably be made more explicit. When I read it, I just figured it meant "don't unlink redlinks"...
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 18th August 2009, 2:34pm) *

(And I´m female! And, eh, born a true troll (It takes one to know one) ....and a hard-core feminist..

I like the ones with the soft cores better. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Oh boy. I have been working on these 48-villages for 3+ years. Now the "Bible" here is the book by Khalidi (1992) , + Morris (2004). Blofeldt does not, AFAK, have even these (basic) books available. When he starts all these articles about the 48-villages, he *only* copies/rehash material which is already on the net. He, IMHO, he simply does not "add value" to the net doing this. Call that what you want.

Do you have permission to copy these books onto Wikipedia?
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Emperor @ Tue 18th August 2009, 10:29pm) *

Do you have permission to copy these books onto Wikipedia?

Huh? What do you mean? If you wonder, have I asked Morris for permission to make edits like this; the answer is no...
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:43pm) *

Of course it isn't - what stupid behavior! Besides, this is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit (even Canadians). Nobody owns these articles or the redlinks. Dr. Blo has every right to contribute, just as any of us here have every right to improve upon his work or obliterate it.

Where's Kat Walsh when you really need her? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(nableezy @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:15pm) *

QUOTE(Tarc @ Tue 18th August 2009, 4:05pm) *

Since I cant say this on-wiki after a warning for "personal attacks", Blofeld is a cunt.

/waves to Caspian Blue, who is one too. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Yes you've thrown a footnote in, but it sounds like you're saying that dozens of articles have been written based on two obscure books.

It seems to me like the authors of those books should have been compensated for their time somehow. Jimmy's getting plenty of traffic redirected to Wikia. When do they get theirs?
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 18th August 2009, 9:43pm) *

He has basically tilled the soil for you to plant seeds in.

Can't you sort the articles by quality through a WikiProject or Task force tag?

I really appriciate what you have done, I really do, but I don´t see any solution here where I can continue to work in this area.

The thing is: a) I´m not a linguist, for me it is not easy to keep all these (very) similar-sounding (Arab!) names apart. But I have a strong sort of "visual memory": when I was looking for some, say, Peterson-stuff, I knew I had to look in a village-article positioned in the middle-bottom of the District of Haifa-group. Does this makes sense? Now, earlier, that was easy, as Al-Tira, Haifa would be the only, or one of the few, "blue-linked"-article-names in that section. But now, if I don´t remember the name of "Al-Tira", (which I normally don´t)..I have to click 10-15-links before I come to the right one....It was a real shock for me when I could no longer find any of the Metawali-villages -normally I could find them blind-folded (well...) ..now they have all disappeared into the "blue soup."

You say he has tilled the soil for us to plant in. Well, I say he has tilled *too much* soil, I cannot find my way around, anymore. Which patch (article) needs more work, which doesn´t?
Before I knew.
Now I don´t.

And the other thing is: we had a very nice little group of editors, who have worked on this for ages. That one person can come along and do exactly as he please, without doing the least attempt to communicate with the "regulars" -is rather disheartening. (When he started making these stubs, I went to his talk-page and asked him to stop...he just removed my comment and continued. Like a bulldozer. As if I didn´t exist. And he is surprised that I take this off-WP?)

Hey, it is as simple as this: I edited WP for fun. After Blofeld stormed into my little corner of WP; it´s no fun anymore. (And boy, am I being diplomatic here.)

Oh, and I really hate all the dramah-thingy over at WP. It is not without reason that my WP-persona was unknown to Sarc -and I assume, most others. I really have tried to avoid "the dramah". Heck, editing in the I/P area is *more* than enough dramah in itself....

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. I am a collector at heart; "collecting" information about these villages was great fun.
+Quote Post
nableezy

Member No.: 11,908

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 18th August 2009, 5:46pm) *

Of course it isn't - what stupid behavior! Besides, this is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit (even Canadians). Nobody owns these articles or the redlinks. Dr. Blo has every right to contribute, just as any of us here have every right to improve upon his work or obliterate it.

Where's Kat Walsh when you really need her? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

Of course he has a right to create these articles and Huldra shouldnt have even asked for a block, but he does not have a right to call her a "nasty little bitch". Crying about not saying something to his face through a computer monitor, real un-bitch like.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

So why do you keep giving them your labor, freely?

My worthless advice: give it up. Let the Palestinian villages go undocumented.

Blofeld is becoming a major poison on Wikipedia, and since WP loves his smelly
little bottom so very much, he should be allowed to run free--to continue to
degrade their twisted little project.
Eventually it will become utterly useless, and people will stop consulting it.

Just remember: this is an encyclopedia that gives a few very brief, smug and
not-much-informative paragraphs to Joe Coors, a famous businessman and a major
influence on the Reagan era in American politics. (Discussed in another thread.)

I have another example: Norman Augustine. Former CEO of Martin Marietta,
former president of Lockheed Martin, former president of the AIAA, former president
of the Boy Scouts.....and has a list of awards as long as your arm.
How long is his BLP? Five paragraphs. Maybe 600 words.

And yet, this "encyclopedia" gives a massive, absurdly detailed article (with 133 references!) to the Daleks.

And read the BLP for obscure underground animator (and film festival darling) Don Hertzfeld.
It's FIVE TIMES as long as the one for the far-more-influential Norman Augustine.....

Conclusion: it's totally fucked anyway, stop worrying about it. Let it go.
It doesn't want to be a real encyclopedia anyway. It's lying to itself.

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(nableezy @ Tue 18th August 2009, 7:24pm) *

Of course he has a right to create these articles and Huldra shouldnt have even asked for a block, but he does not have a right to call her a "nasty little bitch".

Well, like they say at podiatrist school: if the shoe fits... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 18th August 2009, 7:27pm) *

My worthless advice: give it up. Let the Palestinian villages go undocumented.

Agreed. Believe me, no one in Gaza or Ramallah gives a flying fuck about what you're doing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wacko.gif)

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 18th August 2009, 7:23pm) *

I really appriciate what you have done, I really do, but I don´t see any solution here where I can continue to work in this area.

Well, goodbye, dear, and don't forget your purse on the way out! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Floydsvoid

If I was writing that ad hominem I would've used the word skanky instead, but maybe that's me (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Not that I would, I don't know you from Adam ... ermm ... Eve ... ermm ... Lilith.

In the "real world", attacks like this just slide off our teflon coated underwear. In the wacky fantasy world of Wikiwonderland this, umm, violation of NPA can be stretched out for years. Committing this faux pas, Doc Blohard has shown his true juvenile colours and has probably lost whatever amount of face he possessed.

You were using red-links as a guide as to what needed to be done. Dr Blofeld destroyed all your red-links, but apparently didn't technically violate policy. In doing so, he has managed to set your progress back a buncha steps. Xeno suggests that there may be other mechanisms by which to track the work that needs to be done. That's an idea worth thinking about. As an aside, I always thought Xeno a bit of a douche-bag on WP but a rather decent fellow on WR. Funny how online personas can change from site to site.

Hang in there!
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(nableezy @ Tue 18th August 2009, 11:24pm) *

Of course he has a right to create these articles and Huldra shouldnt have even asked for a block, but he does not have a right to call her a "nasty little bitch". Crying about not saying something to his face through a computer monitor, real un-bitch like.

I *only* asked to have him blocked when he was in the middle of creating these articles, as a way of stopping him. IOW, as a way for me to stay on WP. Basically: it was him..or me.

After he had created these articles I made clear that I did not want him blocked..as the damage was already done (from my point of view).

And I much prefer him to call me every nasty word in there is...to him creating these articles that were "drowning" me.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Floydsvoid @ Tue 18th August 2009, 7:32pm) *
As an aside, I always thought Xeno a bit of a douche-bag on WP but a rather decent fellow on WR. Funny how online personas can change from site to site.

You noticed that too? And I thought I was being rough on the poor flabby dum-dum. Thanks for the confirmation! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 18th August 2009, 3:28pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 18th August 2009, 6:25pm) *

If this is what that means, it should probably be made more explicit. When I read it, I just figured it meant "don't unlink redlinks"...

I suppose, but the other is sort of implied. Creating a title-stub with nothing in it just to see the link turn color, is not much different than simply removing the brackets from a redlink. The whole assumption behind the satement that "good redlinks help Wikipedia" is that good redlinks will be allowed to remain as markers, and not killed off as soon as they are sighted, by directing them to a title stub which says nothing more than what the original text in the original article said. What extra information is added to WP by that? None! Information has actually been subtracted, inasmuch as NOW, a colored note that reminds of a link to an article that doesn't exist, is now missing. And yet, the implication is wrong, for the article still really does not exist in any meaningful way. Any more than a town can be suddenly made to "exist" by sticking a BUTTCRACK, population 0 sign by the side of a deserted road, in the middle of nowhere.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Blofeld once asked me to start an article that was redlinked in a campaign box, which I did. He likes to start new articles or see them started by others.

Blofeld, since you appear to be reading this thread, when you start a new article, please don't do like you did here. To your credit, you tried to fix it with further editing. I would suggest slowing down on the articles creation and ensure that each stub you start adequately covers the subject and is referenced appropriately.

Adversary, you didn't want those articles created because it would make it harder to navigate the template? What's wrong with having articles for all of those redlinks as long as they're done right?

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 18th August 2009, 11:37pm) *

Adversary, you didn't want those articles created because it would make it harder to navigate the template? What's wrong with having articles for all of those redlinks as long as they're done right?

Nothing! ..but they will not be done right. At least not by Blofeld. (And if Blofeld proves me wrong on this; I will be delighted....) To "do them right", you need the books/litterature on the subject. Which, AFAIK, Blofeld does not have.

If other editors fix them; wonderful. But it will not be by me, and the (few) editors in wp:Palestine are extremely overstretched...

If Blofeld had not done anything, then I think I could have garanteed that everyone of those articles would have been brought up to a decent standard in the not-to-distant future.
But now? It is an open question.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)