Moulton
post Wed 28th April 2010, 12:14pm
Post #61

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

It occurs to me that every generation has produced its poets and bards who transform the banality of their day into entertaining art forms that feed the public's insatiable thirst for creativity and novelty in the arts and entertainment.

Notwithstanding a number of lame attempts at crafting humor and parody out of the wreckage of WikiCulture, none of us seem talented enough to craft Wikipeda: The Comic Opera.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Wed 28th April 2010, 1:08pm
Post #62

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 28th April 2010, 8:14am) *

It occurs to me that every generation has produced its poets and bards who transform the banality of their day into entertaining art forms that feed the public's insatiable thirst for creativity and novelty in the arts and entertainment.

Notwithstanding a number of lame attempts at crafting humor and parody out of the wreckage of WikiCulture, none of us seem talented enough to craft Wikipeda: The Comic Opera.

Q.E.D.

Jon dry.gif
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Tue 28th September 2010, 3:56am
Post #63

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

The Web Is Bankrupting Scholarship (TWIBS)

I don't know if this topic should be spun off to its own thread or whether it's best to develop it as a variation on the theme that's already in place, so I'll just post a note of it here for now.

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 27th September 2010, 9:55am) *

Posted by Kelly Martin at Sun Sep 26 11:37:15 2010 {Now Deleted from “Open” Codex}

I read the opening of first chapter that is published on Joseph's website. If the willful misinterpretation of the fairly transparently malicious conversation between MattCrypto and SlimVirgin that Joseph chooses to highlight there is typical of the analysis Joseph makes in this work, then it should indeed rise to stand as an exemplar of the sort of bankrupt scholarship that Wikipedia has come to be known for.

I think the phrase “Bankrupt Scholarship” hits the mark so perfectly that I have in mind abstracting it from the present case and making a Meta*Theme out of it. In all fairness, we can hardly pin too much blame on Joseph Reagle's latest offering, since he is simply following in the well-trod ruts of what has become a cottage industry genre of clueless writings.

So let us ask the Big Picture Question — What are the causes of this Bankruptcy?

Jon Awbrey

+Quote Post
papaya
post Sat 2nd October 2010, 3:39pm
Post #64

Member No.: 1,255

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 26th April 2010, 10:59am) *

Let's face it, we are inundated with dullness — our capacity for metabolizing that dullness is very limited — and every time we absorb, without metabolizing, a bit of that dullness we become a bit duller ourselves.

Since this is a rather dull, platitudinous remark, what's the point?

To make a point that may actually be to the point and amusing at the same time: often these days I have one of my children surfing the 'net, and they turn to me and ask "what's X?" and a yell back, "You're on the internet! Look it up yourself!" and they sheepishly reply "oh, right."
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Sat 2nd October 2010, 4:00pm
Post #65

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(papaya @ Sat 2nd October 2010, 11:39am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 26th April 2010, 10:59am) *

Let's face it, we are inundated with dullness — our capacity for metabolizing that dullness is very limited — and every time we absorb, without metabolizing, a bit of that dullness we become a bit duller ourselves.

Since this is a rather dull, platitudinous remark, what's the point?

To make a point that may actually be to the point and amusing at the same time: often these days I have one of my children surfing the 'net, and they turn to me and ask "what's X?" and a yell back, "You're on the internet! Look it up yourself!" and they sheepishly reply "oh, right."

Nice parenting …

Jon dry.gif
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Sat 8th January 2011, 5:28am
Post #66

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 5th March 2010, 9:18am) *

I was actually trying to talk about something else, something like the quality of communication in our so-called “community” sites. That's kind of what I meant by “fora and e-gora” — here I was searching for some word beside “discussion” since the owners of one site I had in mind go out of their way to stress that it's “not about discussion”, even though they do have their own meta-discussion forum for doing just that.

So I'm looking for those bug/features of system accident/design that catalyze the catatonia of genuine collaborative inquiry.

Continuing Discussion on the Dumbing Device —

Nicholas Carr, “Does The Internet Make You Dumber?”, Wall Street Journal, 05 Jun 2010.

I know it's a little crusty, but it keeps being re-cycled on Facebook.

Jon Image
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Thu 13th January 2011, 4:04pm
Post #67

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Do you believe me now?

Jon dry.gif
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Sun 18th December 2011, 6:18pm
Post #68

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Bumping up for the sake of a current discussion on the Peirce List —

Reference Points —Jon Image
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Sun 18th December 2011, 9:55pm
Post #69

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Assisted Living Today - How Social Media is Ruining Our Minds [Infographic]

ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Maunus
post Mon 19th December 2011, 1:35am
Post #70

Member No.: 71,134

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

People have managed to be incredibly stupid for millenia without the internet - they just never had the technology to broadcast it as widely before. I imagine that the percentage of stupid to non-stupid people is pretty much stable when seen on the largest time scale.
+Quote Post
Zoloft
post Mon 19th December 2011, 8:06am
Post #71

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(Maunus @ Sun 18th December 2011, 5:35pm) *

People have managed to be incredibly stupid for millenia without the internet - they just never had the technology to broadcast it as widely before. I imagine that the percentage of stupid to non-stupid people is pretty much stable when seen on the largest time scale.

"The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead."
--John Maynard Keynes.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Mon 19th December 2011, 11:20pm
Post #72

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

I learned in my book history class that the advent of the printing press caused both praise and consternation. More people could access and afford good books, but it also meant that idiots could write stupid books cheaply and sell them as authentic to the masses. The Internet came along and allowed more people to access and find good information, but it also meant that any idiot could make a website and spread the stupidity. Web 2.0 supposedly could remedy that with people countering "This is not true!," yet that fails with people still covering their ears and eyes and singing "lalalalalala... I can't hear you!" Then you have a cacophony of stupidity overwhelming the logic.

At least with books, you do have filters that could theoretically keep out much of the stupidity. Reputable publishers, reviewers, peer reviews, etc. can help. Social media has no such filters. Sure, you can post a comment, blog post, tweet, etc. to counter the stupidity, but there is no guarantee your message will get through. You could be like The Lorax (T-H-L-K-D) yelling at nothing.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Tue 20th December 2011, 1:42am
Post #73

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Maryanne Wolf @ Proust and the Squid)

When all is said and done, of course, Socrates' worries were not so much about literacy as about what might happen to knowledge if the young had unguided, uncritical access to information. For Socrates, the search for real knowledge did not revolve around information. Rather, it was about finding the essence and purpose of life. Such a search required a lifelong commitment to developing the deepest critical and analytical skills, and to internalizing personal knowledge through the prodigious use of memory, and long effort. Only these conditions assured Socrates that a student was capable of moving from exploring knowledge in dialogue with a teacher to a path of principles that lead to action, virtue, and ultimately to a "friendship with his god." Socrates saw knowledge as a force for the higher good; anything — such as literacy — that might endanger it was anathema. (Wolf, p. 220).

Wolf, Maryanne (2007), Proust and the Squid : The Story and Science of the Reading Brain,
Harper Collins, New York. Paperback edition, Harper Perennial, New York, 2008.

Copied from Content Fixation And Regressive Education
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Tue 20th December 2011, 1:48am
Post #74

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Maryanne Wolf @ Proust and the Squid)

There are deeper meanings in these Socratic concerns, however. Throughout the story of humankind, from the Garden of Eden to the universal access provided by the Internet, questions of who should know what, when, and how remain unresolved. At a time when over a billion people have access to the most extensive expansion of information ever compiled, we need to turn our analytical skills to questions about a society's responsibility for the transmission of knowledge. Ultimately, the questions Socrates raised for Athenian youth apply equally to our own. Will unguided information lead to an illusion of knowledge, and thus curtail the more difficult, time-consuming, critical thought processes that lead to knowledge itself? Will the split-second immediacy of information gained from a search engine and the sheer volume of what is available derail the slower, more deliberative processes that deepen our understanding of complex concepts, of another's inner thought processes, and of our own consciousness? (Wolf, p. 221).

Wolf, Maryanne (2007), Proust and the Squid : The Story and Science of the Reading Brain,
Harper Collins, New York. Paperback edition, Harper Perennial, New York, 2008.

Copied from Content Fixation And Regressive Education
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Tue 14th August 2012, 10:12pm
Post #75

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Reprising these comments for the sake of another discussion elsewhere —

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 27th February 2010, 11:18pm) *

Oddly enough, this brings us back to a point that I've been trying make about the economic and psychosocial dynamics that are common to all forms of addictive behavior, including conspicuous consumption and dissipative entertainment. What keeps coming back to mind here are the penetrating insights of Max Weber and William S. Burroughs.

Under conditions of health, pleasure drives are always self-terminating — this makes them intermittent and periodic in nature — you reach a state of satisfaction and then you are done with that drive for a while.

Continuous drivenness is a morbid condition. It occurs in situations where the superficial seeking of goods or pleasure disguises an effort to avoid a deeper-lying anxiety or pain, one for which the displacement activity is no balm, and thus appears infinite and unquenchable.

Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sat 27th February 2010, 6:35pm) *

And the cure is?

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 27th February 2010, 8:34pm) *

There's a bit of ambiguity in the phrase "to avoid a deeper-lying anxiety or pain". It's partly an effort to relieve the condition itself and partly an effort to avoid awareness of its cause. Those two efforts are at cross-purposes, since the condition continues until the true cause is addressed. The person who drinks beyond the point of genuine enjoyment — to the point of unconsciousness and painful consequence — is doing that to blot out some painful issue the he or she is refusing to face in the light of consciousness.

Jon Awbrey

+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th 4 17, 6:21am