The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top 10 most viewed WR threads!, The topics that got everyone excited
Rating  5
blissyu2
post Tue 25th September 2007, 2:19am
Post #21

the wookie

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 5

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Actually, if possible, for the blog, could it have a pic for each of the top 10? Or am I being greedy?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
guy
post Tue 4th December 2007, 11:05am
Post #22

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

This list has been updated.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel
post Mon 4th February 2008, 10:21pm
Post #23

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 577

QUOTE(guy @ Tue 4th December 2007, 12:05pm) *

This list has been updated.

It needs to updated again, as the "Boyscout spanking thread" plus the "Images of Mohamed" thread are getting pretty big too...
+Quote Post
Derktar
post Wed 3rd September 2008, 10:40pm
Post #24

WR Black Ops

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,381

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

General

Articles

Editors

Bureaucracy

These are a little old but more recent than the tallies above.

NOTE: This does not take into account subforums.
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor
post Wed 3rd September 2008, 11:06pm
Post #25

Über Member

Member No.: 7,398

the Essjay thread is all the way up to 34,214 views now. Pretty impressive.
+Quote Post
Random832
post Wed 10th September 2008, 5:11pm
Post #26

meh

Member No.: 4,844

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Is the "Taxwoman a fake" thread the first to break the big 1-K in the total number of replies?
+Quote Post
gomi
post Wed 10th September 2008, 5:22pm
Post #27

Group: Members
Member No.: 565

QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 10th September 2008, 10:11am) *

Is the "Taxwoman a fake" thread the first to break the big 1-K in the total number of replies?

By far. "Essjay" had only 227 posts in it (approximately -- PL's deletions did some damage in many places).

I'm not sure this is a good measure, however -- the PoetRunTaxCornListerWoman thread is waaaay past tl;dr now. 1000 posts may be too many for almost anyone to wade through, and (IMHO) it would have been better if it had been split into multiple threads.

As an aside, we had our highest-ever posting day on 5 Sep with 468 posts, and have had 4 days in the last week with over 400 posts each. This beats the previous record of 460 posts on 14 April (08) and 452 on 21 April, and 404 on 17 July.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin
post Wed 10th September 2008, 9:38pm
Post #28

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 10th September 2008, 12:22pm) *
I'm not sure this is a good measure, however -- the PoetRunTaxCornListerWoman thread is waaaay past tl;dr now. 1000 posts may be too many for almost anyone to wade through, and (IMHO) it would have been better if it had been split into multiple threads.
At least two threads were split out of it, too.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel
post Wed 10th September 2008, 9:57pm
Post #29

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 10th September 2008, 9:38pm) *

Look: let it be. This needs to be played out. On more levels than one. Do not moderate this, please!
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor
post Wed 10th September 2008, 10:29pm
Post #30

Über Member

QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 10th September 2008, 1:11pm) *

yes. But since you asked, here's a a views update:

Who is Essjay? 34,623
Taxwoman : a fake? 31,891
Boy Scouts are for spanking? 25,782
Another NYBrad sighting? 24,305
Slimvirgin/Felonious Monk/JzG case 18,937
WMF Board elections, 2008 15,521
A Scientific Dissent from Wikipedianism 15,451
Snowspinner muses about stalking and murder 14,815
Illustration of Muhammad 14,779
Mantanmoreland RfAr 13,349
diets, women, anything really deep and meaningful, ooh 13,310
Cla68 Deathwatch 13,136

Taxwoman will be #1 by Friday.

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 10th September 2008, 1:22pm) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 10th September 2008, 10:11am) *

By far. "Essjay" had only 227 posts in it (approximately -- PL's deletions did some damage in many places).

Nah, I'll read the whole thing. I'm only up to page 14 or so, but I'll eventually wade through it all.

This post has been edited by Anonymous editor: Wed 10th September 2008, 10:28pm
+Quote Post
gomi
post Wed 10th September 2008, 11:05pm
Post #31

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 10th September 2008, 2:57pm) *
Look: let it be. This needs to be played out. On more levels than one. Do not moderate this, please!

Don't worry. If it was going to get moderated, it would have been around page 5. It's much too late now. I read at 50 posts/page, and it is (obviously) now over 20 pages. This is not to say we won't continue to take off-topic threads out of it when they blossom (and assuming a mod is looking).

+Quote Post
the fieryangel
post Wed 10th September 2008, 11:08pm
Post #32

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 10th September 2008, 11:05pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 10th September 2008, 2:57pm) *

Don't worry. If it was going to get moderated, it would have been around page 5. It's much too late now. I read at 50 posts/page, and it is (obviously) now over 20 pages. This is not to say we won't continue to take off-topic threads out of it when they blossom (and assuming a mod is looking).

Okay. I can see when things get obviously offtopic and that's not a problem. But the discussion of this needs to remain centralized, for numerous reasons.

I'm sorry about my statements last night, which were due to some combat stress....I realize that this isn't easy for any of us. Peace?
+Quote Post
gomi
post Wed 10th September 2008, 11:16pm
Post #33

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 10th September 2008, 4:08pm) *
I'm sorry about my statements last night, which were due to some combat stress....I realize that this isn't easy for any of us. Peace?

I was never angry, but I'm sorry if anything I did upset you. If I got mad at everyone here who gets mad at me, I couldn't get anything done. On the other hand, I realize that not everyone "compartmentalizes" in the same way, and that ironic distance isn't always the best approach.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel
post Wed 10th September 2008, 11:21pm
Post #34

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 10th September 2008, 11:16pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 10th September 2008, 4:08pm) *

I was never angry, but I'm sorry if anything I did upset you. If I got mad at everyone here who gets mad at me, I couldn't get anything done. On the other hand, I realize that not everyone "compartmentalizes" in the same way, and that ironic distance isn't always the best approach.

I'm sorry: even though I speak French most of the time, I can't quite understand if that's a "yes" or a "no": there's much too much subtext there.

Are we going to put this behind us or not?

+Quote Post
gomi
post Wed 10th September 2008, 11:25pm
Post #35

Yes! Oui! Pax! All is forgiven, if there was anything to forgive, which there may not have been!

Now, if I'm permitted some humor, I'm always amused that when in France I'm told -- with a classic gallic shrug -- "désolée", because the context always makes clear that, while it literally means "Sorry", in truth most of the times it means "I don't give a sh*t that I don't have what you want or will not do what you wish, now get the f*ck out of here". I think they always wonder why I'm stifling a grin. You gotta love a language that expressive.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel
post Thu 11th September 2008, 8:08am
Post #36

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 10th September 2008, 11:25pm) *

Yes! Oui! Pax! All is forgiven, if there was anything to forgive, which there may not have been!

Now, if I'm permitted some humor, I'm always amused that when in France I'm told -- with a classic gallic shrug -- "désolée", because the context always makes clear that, while it literally means "Sorry", in truth most of the times it means "I don't give a sh*t that I don't have what you want or will not do what you wish, now get the f*ck out of here". I think they always wonder why I'm stifling a grin. You gotta love a language that expressive.

That's what "désolé" means when you're a tourist or a client in a shop, since most of the French in those kinds of jobs hate their work. It's always a question of context.

But désolé" is almost always a "cop-out" of some sort. The thing about French is that it's the best language for being at once completely vague so as not to offend, and bitingly sacrastic as to provide effective avenues of attack...
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Thu 11th September 2008, 8:20am
Post #37

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 10th September 2008, 4:25pm) *

Translation in American English is somwhere between "Bummer" and "Whatever."

Whenever I hear it I think of Beirce's definition: "GUILLOTINE, n. A machine which makes a Frenchman shrug his shoulders with good reason."

This post has been edited by Milton Roe: Thu 11th September 2008, 8:21am
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor
post Fri 12th September 2008, 4:15am
Post #38

Über Member

The Taxwoman thread passed Essjay a few hours ago. Now the #1 viewed thread in WR history. Only fitting.
+Quote Post
Kato
post Fri 12th September 2008, 5:01am
Post #39

dhd

Member No.: 767

People do realize that the thread-views-counter picks up on readers browsing each page? So if a thread is 50 pages long, and a reader goes through each one, they clock up 50 views on the thread counter. So this Poetguy thread has probably only ever had about 7 people read it, and someone like Milton Roe would've likely clocked up at least 20,000 views just previewing his own posts. It's a false economy - also, some crap that has page upon page of flaming inevitably gets more "views" than some carefully crafted analysis - but that's just the participants reviewing new posts - not a reflection of readers at large.

One way of doing it might be to examine Views Per Page. But I have a feeling that the winner would be... this thread : "The Top Ten Threads" itself. Which would create a certain irony that I quite like.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Fri 12th September 2008, 5:13am
Post #40

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 11th September 2008, 10:01pm) *

People do realize that the thread views counter picks up on readers browsing each page? So if a thread is 50 pages long, and a reader goes through each one, they clock up 50 views on the thread counter. So this Poetguy thread has probably only ever had about 7 people read it, and someone like Milton Roe would've likely clocked up at least 20,000 views just previewing his own posts. It's a false economy - some crap that has page upon page of flaming inevitably gets more "views" than some carefully crafted analysis - but that's just the participants reviewing new posts - not a reflection of readers at large.

Stick in the mud. Of those seven, most of them are PoetGuy, too.

The results are more horrible when I don't preview my posts. Which is often enough.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th 6 17, 5:13am