FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Giano takes it to the limit -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> Giano takes it to the limit, blocked for "incivility"
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

This was absolutely predictable. The other side know that there will be people needling Giano, so are taking a flexible attitude. But Giano knows this too, and is determined to push things to the very limit.

You have begun to interest me, stalking is a game that two can play...I'm wondering why the Arbcom accepted a case from you with such speedy, almost suspicious, alacrity - if I were one of those Arbs I would now be very worried, because your edits have started to interest me too, first one on Masturbation - now there's a sunject and a half. As I said I am now very interested indeed.You see John I am still far from happy about the IRC case, and I will get to the bottom of it, if not here then elsewhere. Giano (talk) 23:13, 24 March 2008 (UTC)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:John254"

I understand why you could be upset at john, but this is a little disapointing. I saw it as some kind of threat - you should know that taking things elsewhere isn't what we do here. I personally have a lot of respect for you and I honestly thought you were way above this - just take a step back and think about things for a minute. Ryan Postlethwaite 23:20, 24 March 2008 (UTC)

You have absolutely no respect for me at all so don't be so bloody hypocritical. By elsewhere I mean of course IRC, isn't that where you and all your buddies and the Arbs hang out, and where if we want to discover the truth concerning Wikipedia we are all forced to go these days? You see Ryan, I will get to the bottom of this, the very bottom, and if one way draws a blank, I shall go in another direction. I know the truth, all I have to do is prove it. Giano (talk) 23:25, 24 March 2008 (UTC)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

How does he get away with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=201933103

The arbcom voted to address the issues, Jimbo told you that you have the "Jimbo given" authority, now cut the crap all of you get in there and do as you told us you were going to do. 9 Arbs voted to address the issues. So far we have seen FT2 and someone called Ryan Postlethwaite talk about how there is no problem. We all know too many bad blocks have been orchestrated there, and too much discussed with non-admins and toadies, so time to clean it up. If you are too frightened to solve the problems, then dissolve the channel. Incidentally where are these 9 brave Arbs who voted to address the problem in return for placing me on civility patrol? Has there been some form of unreported massacre? I don't believe I have read any reports of it? Now come on, cut the crap and address the problem. You Arbs enjoy banning me, now you keep to your side of the bargain - or does James Forrester rule you? Giano (talk) 00:26, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 30th March 2008, 9:58am) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=201933103

The arbcom voted to address the issues, Jimbo told you that you have the "Jimbo given" authority, now cut the crap all of you get in there and do as you told us you were going to do. 9 Arbs voted to address the issues. So far we have seen FT2 and someone called Ryan Postlethwaite talk about how there is no problem. We all know too many bad blocks have been orchestrated there, and too much discussed with non-admins and toadies, so time to clean it up. If you are too frightened to solve the problems, then dissolve the channel. Incidentally where are these 9 brave Arbs who voted to address the problem in return for placing me on civility patrol? Has there been some form of unreported massacre? I don't believe I have read any reports of it? Now come on, cut the crap and address the problem. You Arbs enjoy banning me, now you keep to your side of the bargain - or does James Forrester rule you? Giano (talk) 00:26, 30 March 2008 (UTC)

* how does the arbcom get away with it?
* how does James Forrester get away with it?

Notes to arbcom (I'm trying to help you resolve your little #admin problem, believe it or not):
  • You people asked for, accepted and were vested with authority by the community. Now you are shamelessly neglecting your duties. Nobody said it was easy. Did I mention that you asked for this job? If you aren't willing to pull your collective heads out of your asses and do your job, then step down.
  • Have some public discussions that illustrate past problems (eg., misrepresentation, backstabbing, collusion, making some admins unwelcome in the channel for petty reasons, inappropriate people invited into the channel...). Have public discussions about solving these problems.
  • Note in the new guidelines that #admins is not a social club for disgraced former admins and arbitrators to grind axes under the veil of secrecy.
  • Demand that Forrester (Freenode contact for the Foundation) publicly face his community and take a leadership role in solving these problems, or step down as Freenode contact.
  • Have a process to resolve problems. Despite numerous declarations of victory and bliss, no 'process' yet concocted has worked. (hint: when there is a valid complaint about behavior there, and someone says "we'll take care of it" and then not a single word is ever heard except "we took care of it", and then the same thing happens over and over, well, you fucking morons, the problem was never solved.)
  • Note that disputes regarding this channel will be resolved on-wiki. Isn't it wonderful how people's behavior improves when they know others are/will be watching?
  • Require all members of the channel to acknowledge that logs may be kept, and that these logs may be used on-wiki for resolution of disputes (after truly sensitive material is removed). Other foundation channels have public logging, so don't pull any bullshit copyright arguments.
  • Require all members of the channel to acknowledge that logs of inappropriate remarks made about an editor behind their back in #admins may be passed on to that editor.
  • Acknowledge that excessive and paranoid levels of secrecy regarding this channel have been counterproductive, and a more open policy, especially regarding dispute resolution, is required. (As an aside, David Gerard was named in a recent arbcom case and presented his entire defense in secret, enjoying two way communication in the arbcom seceret mailing list while none of the other named parties had that chance. This is a disgrace and should never, ever happen again.)
Well, these are just some blindingly obvious things that come to mind.

(edit)

OK, arbcom. A case study and questions for you...

When something simple and straightforward like this happens, oh illustrious arbcommers, what do you think about the parties taking a relaxing break from #admins until the abominable behavior is accounted for and suitable consequences applied? Is that so much to ask? By the way, does anybody know what consequences were meted out here?

This post has been edited by Pumpkin Muffins:
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Peter Damian   Giano takes it to the limit  
Moulton   Stalking the elusive evidence that establishes the...  
ThurstonHowell3rd   Giano has been blocked for "incivility":...  
Pumpkin Muffins   Giano has been blocked for "incivility...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='ThurstonHowell3rd' post='88425' date...  
Giano   [quote name='ThurstonHowell3rd' post='88425' dat...  
Proabivouac   Giano, I saw nothing particularly uncivil about yo...  
Giano   Giano, I saw nothing particularly uncivil about y...  
Peter Damian   Does anyone know how old FT2 is? Early 40's...  
Bob Boy   Giano has been blocked for "incivility...  
Pumpkin Muffins   Giano has been blocked for "incivility...  
Giano   [quote name='Bob Boy' post='88559' date='Wed 26th...  
Kato   Why don't a group of you set up another compet...  
Giano   Why don't a group of you set up another compe...  
Aloft   The fact that Giano is blocked while Mantanmorelan...  
badlydrawnjeff   I'm glad Thatcher decided to make a cheap shot...  
taiwopanfob   I'm glad Thatcher decided to make a cheap shot...  
wikiwhistle   Not so- I have to say, Giano did keep pestering Fl...  
taiwopanfob   Not so- I have to say, Giano did keep pestering Fl...  
BobbyBombastic   This raises an interesting question: why do simp...  
Peter Damian   Why was FT2's arbcom candidacy so highly supp...  
Giano   Why was FT2's arbcom candidacy so highly sup...  
Peter Damian   I'm afraid I don't admire him [FT2] at al...  
wikiwhistle   [quote name='wikiwhistle' post='88429' date='Wed ...  
Peter Damian   In fact, FT2's comments on the noticeboard her...  
Peter Damian   The following interchange on FT2's page reflec...  
Pumpkin Muffins   This is the key issue, but is of course heresy in...  
Peter Damian   Now Geogre weighs in: Exactly. I see pointedne...  
Pumpkin Muffins   Now Geogre weighs in: Exactly. I see pointedn...  
Giano   Now Geogre weighs in: Exactly. I see pointed...  
Moulton   What I see is yet another instance of Bill of Atta...  
Moulton   Given that so many of the more problematic Wikiped...  
Jonny Cache   Given that so many of the more problematic Wikipe...  
Moulton   I reckon it persists because of a systemic lack of...  
Jonny Cache   I reckon it persists because of a systemic lack o...  
jorge   I reckon it persists because of a systemic lack ...  
Jonny Cache   [quote name='Jonny Cache' post='88518' date='Wed ...  
Moulton   The lack of ethics pervades our culture, both on a...  
ThurstonHowell3rd   The claim is this is all about incivility towards ...  
Moulton   You may have heard it stated that Wikipedia doesn...  
bluevictim   I'm sure everybody knows, but this is a huge p...  
Proabivouac   This is a problem: admins don't get blocked f...  
Peter Damian   Now this I admire. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/inde...  
Moulton   Rather than a competing ArbCom, I propose an indep...  
UseOnceAndDestroy   Rather than a competing ArbCom, I propose an inde...  
Giano   [quote name='Moulton' post='88640' date='Thu 27th...  
Jonny Cache   Truth And Reconciliation? Sure … But First...  
The Joy   Truth And Reconciliation? Sure … But Firs...  
Giano   Truth And Reconciliation? Sure … But Fir...  
Peter Damian   [quote name='The Joy' post='88706' date='Thu 27th...  
Giano   [quote name='The Joy' post='88706' date='Thu 27t...  
Moulton   Rather than a competing ArbCom, I propose an indep...  
Robster   [quote name='UseOnceAndDestroy' post='88649' date...  
UseOnceAndDestroy   [quote name='UseOnceAndDestroy' post='88649' date...  
Moulton   [quote name='Moulton' post='88772' date='Thu 27th ...  
Kato   Here's the extract  
Peter Damian   A very strange blog post here, with some real gems...  
Moulton   If you notice, eventually everyone takes a turn in...  
wikiwhistle   How does he get away with it? He won't. So...  
Moulton   Giano may well be depleting his cache of social ca...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)