FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Thogo blocks Thekohser on Meta -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thogo blocks Thekohser on Meta
thekohser

Group: Regulars

This guy named "Thogo" blocked me for 24 hours on the Meta project.

That was disproportionate and rude!

It all was prompted by a hissy fit from Gerard "Hoi!" Meijjeisensenn. (Since he can't ever seem to spell my name or nickname correctly.)

Gerard threatened me with a "blog", as you see... so maybe Thogo got it lost in translation and thought Gerard meant a "block".

This post has been edited by thekohser:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shalom

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 17th September 2009, 12:46pm) *

This guy named "Thogo" blocked me for 24 hours on the Meta project.

That was disproportionate and rude!

It all was prompted by a hissy fit from Gerard "Hoi!" Meijjeisensenn. (Since he can't ever seem to spell my name or nickname correctly.)

Gerard threatened me with a "blog", as you see... so maybe Thogo got it lost in translation and thought Gerard meant a "block".

Epic win! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Of course the other ones you could remove and get away with it, but Jimbo Wales and Angela Beesley? That's a provocation! Of course, the general logic is on your side, but to exclude Jimbo as a public speaker ignores the fact that he has actually done a public speech on behalf of Wikipedia in the last 6 months (for the NYC meetup).
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

Wow - I ranked Gerard fairly high in the Board election (though lower than Kohs), but he's completely out of line here. I think there's a case to be made for Marianocecowski's edit, but this is just indefensible.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 17th September 2009, 6:28pm) *

Wow - I ranked Gerard fairly high in the Board election (though lower than Kohs), but he's completely out of line here. I think there's a case to be made for Marianocecowski's edit, but this is just indefensible.

And Gerard struck again, and again. (Aren't there rules against that?) And he zapped me via private e-mail, too!

I seem to have really touched a nerve -- Gerard doesn't want me speaking publicly on the subject of the Wikimedia Foundation, its projects, or even wikis in general. After all, I might say something REALLY SUBVERSIVE:

http://wikipediareview.com/images/3/3d/AACP_Pres...n_Wikipedia Review.ppt

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Props to Majorly.

Greg, in your entry on the public speakers page, you should change your first name to your last, when protection lifts of course. Make it more formal.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Greg got dissed by Yann (T-C-L-K-R-D) , that moustachioed guy with the picture of another moustachioed guy behind him, on the talk page!

Also on the talk page, an editor who put himself forward to speak in Asia declares that Wikiprojects have been "the biggest waste of time in my life" and asks to be removed from the list. He's left a long disillusioned leaving note as well. Great stuff.

Oh good grief... there's Shankbone again. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

Hornets nest etc.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 18th September 2009, 4:46am) *

Greg got dissed by Yann (T-C-L-K-R-D) , that moustachioed guy with the picture of another moustachioed guy behind him, on the talk page!

Also on the talk page, an editor who put himself forward to speak in Asia declares that Wikiprojects have been "the biggest waste of time in my life" and asks to be removed from the list. He's left a long disillusioned leaving note as well. Great stuff.

Oh good grief... there's Shankbone again. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

Hornets nest etc.

That talk page and Waerth's rant are two of the funniest things I've read on an "official" Wikimedia page in a long time. Great work guys. GerardM appears to be a natural tsukkomi. To be clear, I'm not saying that Greg is the boke.

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

Although Greg delights in being disruptive to make a point (and I can understand how that gets under people's skin) I think it is indicative of Wikipedia that they are incredibly sensitive to any sort of criticism. I think it is an indication not only of the immaturity of Wikipedia, but of the immaturity of Wikipedians.

Although there is a healthy cynicism as to whether it can be achieved, I think Greg is in the heap of reformists who believe in Wikipedia to the extent that it could be reasonably competent given the right support. The teenage immaturity of assuming that the Wikiverse is perfection and those who are not True Believers is a major block to Wikipedia gaining respect and credibility.

The acid test for Wikipedia in my book is in the implementation of flagged revisions and whether, given a basic software tool, Wikipedia can evolve a process that can turn the hotch-potch of different qualities of articles into something that resembles something trustworthy and ethical. (I seem to recall that the cast of Eastenders had a hit with Something Out of Nothing, so it can be done).
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Please note I have full-protected this page for 1 week due to edit warring. Please work out your differences on the talk page rather than reverting each other unproductively. Admins are reminded that although they have the ability to edit the page, they should not (unless such changes are entirely unrelated to the edit warring). Thanks, — Mike.lifeguard | @en.wb 20:44, 17 September 2009 (UTC)

Good move. Several parties were edit warring who ought to know better. While the protection is in place, I suggest a discussion about the goal of the page and the processes for maintaining and updating it as I outlined above. ++Lar: t/c 21:10, 17 September 2009 (UTC)

When you had followed this fracas, you would have found that thekosher has been blocked for threatening behaviour. Also, it does little good to block in the first place when multiple admins take offence. Thanks, GerardM 21:07, 17 September 2009 (UTC)

You were edit warring too. ++Lar: t/c 21:10, 17 September 2009 (UTC)

Indeed - perhaps I was too circumspect initially. — Mike.lifeguard | @en.wb 21:14, 17 September 2009 (UTC)

Snigger.
+Quote Post
thekohser

And Gerard "Hoi!" Meijssen continues his edit war, even 8 hours after page protection and several rebukes on his Talk page.

I'm the one who got a 24-hour block, though.

Great points above, Dogbiscuit.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 18th September 2009, 12:46am) *
An editor who put himself forward to speak in Asia declares that Wikiprojects have been "the biggest waste of time in my life" and asks to be removed from the list. He's left a long disillusioned leaving note as well.

There it is again — disappointment, disillusionment, frustration, cynicism, and (for some) a tinge of bitterness at having wasted so much time and energy on a failing system.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 18th September 2009, 7:52am) *
QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 18th September 2009, 12:46am) *
There it is again — disappointment, disillusionment, frustration, cynicism, and (for some) a tinge of bitterness at having wasted so much time and energy on a failing system.
Right. It's not that the system has failed, yet, it is that it is colossally inefficient, but being a pyramid scheme, has survived and even improved, though not nearly commensurately with the effort invested. I've been watching farewell speeches for two years, looking back at earlier ones. Where it is still possible to reach these retired editors, some have left email turned on, some of them could be brought back in, but to what? That's the question I'll be working on. Email me!

But I'll answer very briefly: to an off-wiki structure which will respect their experience and value their time, not waste it in yet more battles and endless discussions that go nowhere or worse.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Anyone who is seriously interested in writing a definitive encyclopedia article on a subject which they have bothered to research would simply post it on Google Knol and be done with it.

Wikipedia remains as a battlefield for those who are more interested in fighting battles than in writing definitive articles of an encyclopedic nature.
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Good to know Meta has its share of shitty admins who need their bit yanked from them.

Not even looking at this from the Kohs perspective, just the fact that an admin is continuing to edit war through protection... stupid, stupid, stupid.

Someone should block his ass for a good 48 hours.
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Haha, and Waerth's contribution really was like Eeyore dropping in during a nice honey lunch to whine about the 100 Acre Woods being a horrible place to live. This after having not come out of his little shaky shelter to talk to anyone for months.
+Quote Post
thekohser

I have to say that Lar and Majorly (Lar, though, with measurably more effort exerted against the crazy-talkers) are really shooting straight on this debate, and while it may damage them in the WikiMMORPG, I'd like to offer my public thanks here.

It's really quite funny how a page that was getting one to three page views per day is suddenly Grand Central Station for Meta drama.

Anyway, I'm blocked now, indefinitely, by some French PhD.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 18th September 2009, 5:19am) *

That talk page and Waerth's rant are two of the funniest things I've read on an "official" Wikimedia page in a long time.

I didn't find anything amusing about his statement. Looks like half of it is sad-but-true and the other half is sad-if-true.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Fri 18th September 2009, 9:28am) *

Haha, and Waerth's contribution really was like Eeyore dropping in during a nice honey lunch to whine about the 100 Acre Woods being a horrible place to live. This after having not come out of his little shaky shelter to talk to anyone for months.

What do you expect? It's the future. The Hundred Acre Wood is rapidly being replaced by a suburb in East Sussex.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 18th September 2009, 12:56pm) *
I'm blocked now, indefinitely, by some French PhD.

That does it. I'm swearing off French Fries until you get unblocked.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

Doesn't this belong in 'Support Group' ?

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 18th September 2009, 1:03pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 18th September 2009, 12:56pm) *
I'm blocked now, indefinitely, by some French PhD.

That does it. I'm swearing off French Fries until you get unblocked.

Just call them Freedom Fries and you'll be ok.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)