FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Protecting Children Editors on Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Protecting Children Editors on Wikipedia, When will WP do it?
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Seeing as the now Tarpitted discussion has brought out pretty much every major Wikipedia editor from long-time editors to arbitrators, maybe now you all will realize it is time to take proactive steps to defend children editors on Wikipedia rather than sweeping it on the rug and saying that it is only the parents'/guardians' responsibility? Have any of you learned anything from this?

Without going into complete details, during this whole kerfuffle, I noticed a young Wikipedian declaring his age on his user page and a prominent adult (I assume adult) editor repeating the young man's age on AN. I had to ask for it to be suppressed. Yet how many instances of young editors declaring their age do not go unsuppressed or reported? Look at Simple Wikipedia. If I were a pedophile, it would be a garden for me there!

All Foundation-supported projects need to require editors to be 18 and older with technical solutions and administrative backing to ensure this is enforced. Do any of you honestly think that any Wikimedia Community will back this? The English Wikipedia Community? This will have to be done through an order from the Wikimedia Foundation if these Communities will not take steps to help keep children safe. Yes, parents and guardians and the children themselves have a responsibility, but it is our responsibility as human beings to look out for one another, especially vulnerable individuals and groups like children who do not always make the best or wisest decisions.

Is anything going to change now on Wikipedia to address this? What say you long-time editors, administrators, and arbitrators? Mmm? What say you?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Not going to happen.

The whole modus operandi of the Wikipediot confidence game is totally dependent on exploiting gullible, inexperienced, and otherwise naive people, of which children and adolescents are just one portion of the target population, all the while using women and children as human shields against any brandt of criticism.

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 8,716

What exactly is the problem with someone under the age of 16 (or 18) revealing their age, in your opinion? I wish that more would be so honest, so that the kiddie admins could be cleared out.

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 17th January 2010, 4:20am) *

Not going to happen.

The whole modus operandi of the Wikipediot confidence game is totally dependent on exploiting gullible, inexperienced, and otherwise naive people, of which children and adolescents are just one portion of the target population, all the while using women and children as human shields against any brandt of criticism.

Jon Awbrey

Bollocks.

This post has been edited by Somey:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

It should also be clear to you by now, Joy, that you cannot have a serious discussion about a serious issue with these infantile twerps.

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
MBisanz

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 17th January 2010, 5:11am) *

Seeing as the now Tarpitted discussion has brought out pretty much every major Wikipedia editor from long-time editors to arbitrators, maybe now you all will realize it is time to take proactive steps to defend children editors on Wikipedia rather than sweeping it on the rug and saying that it is only the parents'/guardians' responsibility? Have any of you learned anything from this?

Without going into complete details, during this whole kerfuffle, I noticed a young Wikipedian declaring his age on his user page and a prominent adult (I assume adult) editor repeating the young man's age on AN. I had to ask for it to be suppressed. Yet how many instances of young editors declaring their age do not go unsuppressed or reported? Look at Simple Wikipedia. If I were a pedophile, it would be a garden for me there!

All Foundation-supported projects need to require editors to be 18 and older with technical solutions and administrative backing to ensure this is enforced. Do any of you honestly think that any Wikimedia Community will back this? The English Wikipedia Community? This will have to be done through an order from the Wikimedia Foundation if these Communities will not take steps to help keep children safe. Yes, parents and guardians and the children themselves have a responsibility, but it is our responsibility as human beings to look out for one another, especially vulnerable individuals and groups like children who do not always make the best or wisest decisions.

Is anything going to change now on Wikipedia to address this? What say you long-time editors, administrators, and arbitrators? Mmm? What say you?

I would say there are two lines of thought here. One is what Wikipedia would need to do to best protect children and the other is what the major community focused websites on the internet do. I would put forward that requiring identification via a credit card or driver's license number is the best way to protect children since it would preclude them from Wikipedia (this isn't an argument that Wikipedia should do that, only what the most effective way would be). Also I would say that other major websites protect children with a checkbox or birthdate entry field that rejects them if they are below a certain age. While this probably satisfies legal requirements, it is rather ineffective, since any determined child will simply put in the "right" age to register an account. That the prevailing method is actually ineffective at reaching the desired goal is a reasonable argument against such a method, but it is not a reasonable argument to the current status of doing nothing.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I once encountered an incident with a pedophile on Wikipedia who was after a kid editor and it was a scary, sad experience for me. The poor kid never even realized what was going on. Thankfully it was resolved by other administrators after I and others complained. Any other time I complained about minors declaring themselves such on Wikipedia, I felt my complaints were dismissed. I'm glad that that one complaint got through and was acted upon.

I believe Wikipedia as it stands can be an avenue for sickos to prey on children. It's sad to think that such an incident must happen before anyone will do anything about it.

The Internet can be a great place and most people are good people. But there are very evil people who use Wikipedia and other websites to prey on others. I can assume the best and the worst in people. I've seen both.

Now do you see why I am angry about this?

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 16th January 2010, 11:28pm) *

It should also be clear to you by now, Joy, that you cannot have a serious discussion about a serious issue with these infantile twerps.

Jon Awbrey

I'll have been here three years in February. I should know better by now. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)

This post has been edited by Somey:
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Malleus @ Sat 16th January 2010, 10:24pm) *
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 17th January 2010, 4:20am) *

Bollocks.

Why is that "bollocks"? It seems practically self-evident.

The fact that WP exploits gullible/inexperienced/naive people, including children, is hardly in dispute. Those people might be reasonably intellectual, and might have a certain amount of expertise in some field or other, but that in itself doesn't make them non-gullible.

As for the human shields, we've seen this time and time again - I might agree that they use it more as a means of bashing anyone who threatens to identify them, or question their group commitment to the anonymity culture, so it might be more accurate (or at least more charitable) to say they use them as shields against that particular aspect of criticism. But it seems to me that it's all bound up in one big system which many of them defend almost exclusively by casting aspersions on the critics themselves.

Having said that, IMO we're seeing improvements in that area, generally speaking, though Mr. Awbrey will probably disagree. But when these incidents involving children occur, people just lose all perspective. And like they're saying above, nobody on WP ever seems to learn from it - they mostly see it as not really being "their" problem.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 17th January 2010, 12:01am) *

Having said that, IMO we're seeing improvements in that area, generally speaking, though Mr. Awbrey will probably disagree. But when these incidents involving children occur, people just lose all perspective. And like they're saying above, nobody on WP ever seems to learn from it — they mostly see it as not really being "their" problem.

The only bit of "improvement" I see coming out of that whole blasted discussion is that now we got Alison keeping vigil through the night like some frantic Little Dutch Girl trying to plug the leaks in the dykes — but the moral of that story only works if the Village Wikipediots wake up the next morning and rush to her aid —

And It Ain't Gonna Happen !!!

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
The Joy

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 17th January 2010, 12:12am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 17th January 2010, 12:01am) *

Having said that, IMO we're seeing improvements in that area, generally speaking, though Mr. Awbrey will probably disagree. But when these incidents involving children occur, people just lose all perspective. And like they're saying above, nobody on WP ever seems to learn from it — they mostly see it as not really being "their" problem.

The only bit of "improvement" I see coming out of that whole blasted discussion is that now we got Alison keeping vigil through the night like some frantic Little Dutch Girl trying to plug the leaks in the dykes — but the moral of that story only works if the Village Wikipediots wake up the next morning and rush to her aid —

And It Ain't Gonna Happen !!!

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

And what will Wikipedians do if Alison is incapacitated or goes away? There's no one else taking up the banner and, honestly, you need more than one person like Alison to clean up the mess. Requiring age verification (and I would throw in identity verification) and enforcing an age limit to participation are the best solutions to make Wikipedia more responsible.
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 17th January 2010, 4:47am) *
In my opinion that is rank hipocracy.

I suppose. But let us not forget the issue of scale. Let N = number of people scouring Wikipedia for child targets, and M = number of people scouring Hivemind for child targets.

I have a sneaky suspicion that N is much, much larger than M.

Which means we could could blow up hivemind, and take Brandt out back and shoot him dead, and have his body dragged through the wiki-streets to the cheering throngs of wikipediots ... and it won't modify the threat in any significant way.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Here is the point in the previous discussion where I thought that some light might be breaking through.

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 15th January 2010, 11:10pm) *

QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 15th January 2010, 11:02pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 15th January 2010, 8:00pm) *

So let's start by protecting them from one of the biggest dangers on the Web, to wit, or not, getting mixed up in Wikipedia.

Deal?

Jon (IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/stimg9x0b4fsr2/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif)

Sounds good to me (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif) Where do we start, then?

Surprise, surprise, the world outside the Wikipedia Bubble has painstakingly-evolved standards already in place. It's just that the WikiMedia Foundation has chosen to ignore all that. Now that you're listening, you may suddenly realize that a many people here have been talking about the standards that apply in many different areas for a blisteringly long time now.

Jon Awbrey

But no, the true believer must scuttle back to her State Of Denial —

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 15th January 2010, 11:22pm) *

QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 15th January 2010, 11:15pm) *

Ok, I'm listening. Big surprise an' all. But what about the rest of them over there? Sure, I'm aware of the standards on certain other sites, but it's mind-numbingly frustrating simply trying to get Flagged Revisions in place, let alone something as fundamental as this. We're all just one-and-twos against this massive automaton (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif)

I never said we could clean up that game on its own board. BTDT — through each distinct, gut-wrenching phase of the grief process over a period of several years.

It won't happen there.

Jon (IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/stimg9x0b4fsr2/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif)

How many years of futile attempts at working within the system does it take a true believer to see the fundamental dynamics of the cult that will obstruct every effort toward genuine reform?

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Sun 17th January 2010, 4:31pm) *

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 17th January 2010, 4:47am) *
In my opinion that is rank hipocracy.

I suppose. But let us not forget the issue of scale. Let N = number of people scouring Wikipedia for child targets, and M = number of people scouring Hivemind for child targets.

I have a sneaky suspicion that N is much, much larger than M.

Which means we could could blow up hivemind, and take Brandt out back and shoot him dead, and have his body dragged through the wiki-streets to the cheering throngs of wikipediots ... and it won't modify the threat in any significant way.

Quite probobly, but think of it as schooling fish. Fish school because they know that while they as a whole might be a more visible target, the individual is actually safer. On WP any indvidual is one among many thousands, and while the number of potential predators attracted to it might be higher, any potential predator who is familiar with wikipedia's internal workings would know about hivemind, which then provides a useful list of potential victims, replete with full names ages and locations.
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 17th January 2010, 1:18am) *

Requiring age verification (and I would throw in identity verification) and enforcing an age limit to participation are the best solutions to make Wikipedia more responsible.

I agree.

I just don't know how to get it to happen. Changing things orders of magnitude less sweeping than that change has proven to be basically impossible.

So if it's not going to happen, what then? Perhaps what Alison(1) and others (there are many others that work in this area) do is sticking fingers in dikes at best but wouldn't it be worse if everyone just walked away?

Kylu(1) oversighted the image mentioned. I would have done it (as would any of the other Commons oversighters) if I had been around at the time or if it had been requested via the mailing list.

Should I(1) quit oversighting things entirely, because I can't solve every problem as fast as I might like?

1 - A person who has been attacked, bitterly, here and elsewhere... with charges levied that they shouldn't hold oversight, that they are unfit to even be an admin, that they have all sorts of issues... then put on Hivemind for their troubles... I wonder why they bother at all?

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 17th January 2010, 1:36am) *

How many years of futile attempts at working within the system does it take a true believer to see the fundamental dynamics of the cult that will obstruct every effort toward genuine reform?

Jon Awbrey

What makes you think that she, or I, or any other "true believer" doesn't know this? Because we are foolish enough to keep sticking fingers in dikes and trying to ameliorate things, instead of sitting back in comfort taking potshots at everything, doesn't mean we don't get it.
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 17th January 2010, 6:16am) *
So if it's not going to happen, what then? Perhaps what Alison(1) and others (there are many others that work in this area) do is sticking fingers in dikes at best but wouldn't it be worse if everyone just walked away?

Lar, how many ways does this have to be pointed out to you?

Your robotic, futile efforts are perpetuating the status quo, creating more and more work for you, Alison and others.

You are working hard, but not too smart.

My suggestion: even police officers go on strike. Gather up a bunch of like-minded admins, write a demand letter to the WMF, with deadline, and then simple stop working if steps are not taken. All of you will eventually have to give up at some point, and the sooner you all realize this and use it to the advantage of those you are trying to help at the project, the better for everyone.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 17th January 2010, 12:09am) *
...think of it as schooling fish. Fish school because they know that while they as a whole might be a more visible target, the individual is actually safer. On WP any indvidual is one among many thousands, and while the number of potential predators attracted to it might be higher, any potential predator who is familiar with wikipedia's internal workings would know about hivemind, which then provides a useful list of potential victims, replete with full names ages and locations.

I realize it doesn't apply in the most recent case, but the vast majority of the people listed on Wikipedia-Watch are admins and experienced WP users. Even if we grant that many of them are immature and/or foolish, is someone who's made it past the RfA process, etc., likely to be so naive about online pedophiles and their tactics as to be victimized by one? I'm not saying it can't possibly happen, just that it seems a bit far-fetched.

IMO the most common scenario is that a known WP user/admin is going to piss somebody off, and that somebody will then try to find out who that person is so that he can make various threats, call their school/employer/whatever, and generally make life unpleasant for that person. It's a legitimate thing to be concerned about to be sure, and a terrible stress factor for the person so targeted, but in terms of sheer numbers, weighed against WP's own potential for needless harm... it kinda seems like small potatoes.
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

I think all personal details should have been edited off the topic, e.g. referring to the attacking child as "Child X" ... and the topic should remain in public so show how these issue resolve.

For all reasons, it is too an important topic to languish in the tarpit. Parents and responsible adults should be able to find and see it without jumping through the hoop of membership.

I'd encourage digging out a modified version and merging with this.

Let's face it ... on the principle of wearing a short skirt ... the victim was "asking for it" by joining the Wikipedia and bitching on a blog.

If a 15 year old yob kicked over a 60 year old man (I have no idea Brandt's personal details), society would equally condemn them.

This post has been edited by Cock-up-over-conspiracy:
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 17th January 2010, 3:37am) *

I guess it's best then to just tarpit this thread, too. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

What a shame. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

If you want. But I'm hoping for some intelligent responses to the questions I asked, above. (the post that started out:

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 17th January 2010, 2:16am) *

Requiring age verification (and I would throw in identity verification) and enforcing an age limit to participation are the best solutions to make Wikipedia more responsible.

I agree.

)

Haven't seen any yet.
+Quote Post
The Joy

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 17th January 2010, 2:48am) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 17th January 2010, 3:37am) *

I guess it's best then to just tarpit this thread, too. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

What a shame. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

If you want. But I'm hoping for some intelligent responses to the questions I asked, above. (the post that started out:

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 17th January 2010, 2:16am) *

I agree.

)

Haven't seen any yet.

Thanks for trying, Lar. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 17th January 2010, 7:48am) *

Haven't seen any yet.

And as long as you slave away, you won't see any from the only authority that can order the job done properly.

Why should the WMF do anything re: age verification, or anything else, when they have useful slaves like you, Alison and many others to clean up the messes the kids make?

You guys all have the power, yet refuse to use it efficiently.
+Quote Post
Somey

Moderator's note: Several posts relating to a recent precipitating incident were moved to this thread in the "tar pit." We would like to request that all members please confine their remarks regarding this incident to either that thread, or one of the other two on that subject that were both also tar-pitted a few hours earlier. We apologize if this amounts to "sweeping it under the rug."
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)