FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
what will replace inaccurate newspaper headlines then? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what will replace inaccurate newspaper headlines then?, what will replace inaccurate newspaper headlines then?
milowent

Group: Contributors

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pageviews...-wikipedia-wins

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ps-the-presses/

"But in recent years, print reference books have been almost completely wiped out by the Internet and its vast spread of resources, particularly Wikipedia, which in 11 years has helped replace the authority of experts with the wisdom of the crowds."

This is a ridiculous quote.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

I just came here to post the last link too!

Wow. Wikipedia Review just got a hell of a lot more important...

What's left now, Pears Cyclopaedia (T-H-L-K-D)? o_O
• facebook.com/DKBooks
• facebook.com/theopenuniversity
• facebook.com/oxford.university.continuing.education
• facebook.com/OUPAcademic
• Encarta
?

This post has been edited by Selina:
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

Wikipedia to blame my arse.

The cost of the bloody thing was extortionate and their paywall on the net didn't help either.

They charged themselves to a standstill, a bit like the music and film companies are doing.
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Tue 13th March 2012, 11:21pm) *

Wikipedia to blame my arse.

The cost of the bloody thing was extortionate and their paywall on the net didn't help either.

They charged themselves to a standstill, a bit like the music and film companies are doing.

Nothing has changed.

Sales of Encyclopaedia Britannica peaked in 1990, when 120,000 sets were sold in the United States. But now print encyclopedias account for less than 1 percent of Encyclopaedia Britannica’s revenues. About 85 percent of revenues come from selling curriculum products in subjects like math, science and the English language; the remainder comes from subscriptions to the Web site, the company said.

+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Britannica was used before by students to get summaries of things they needed. Now Wikipedia is an easy to do that. Look at Britannica's online attempt - it is quite similar to Wikipedia.

The problem is that Britannica was mostly used for amateurs, not academics, and the amateur market moved elsewhere. Similar to e-books with academic books never really going to be replaced by them (not college text books, but actual scholarly works).
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

That really is sad. I hope someone steps in and tries to publish something on paper, even if it's not quite so comprehensive (In addition to World Book). I agree the price point was a little high.

I've really got to start promoting Encyc a little better. So much potential.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

It was probably inevitable--for years, only libraries bought the print edition.

Don't feel too bad for them. Try to remember all those housewives who were arm-twisted by encyclopedia salesmen into coughing up a big fat check for a pile of books, that was already obsolete upon publication. Britannica was as guilty of that as any other firm, and they even sat there in the 1990s and quietly bought up most of their competitors, like World Book and Comptons, as they went bankrupt one after another -- because of Encarta. The web came much later.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 13th March 2012, 7:56pm) *

Try to remember all those housewives who were arm-twisted by encyclopedia salesmen into coughing up a big fat check for a pile of books,

Don't forget the marketing technique of releasing "letters" at a time. World Book and some of the others did the same thing - I remember as a kid seeing stores have only a couple of letters, and if you wanted the rest of the set you had to constantly come back. Otherwise, you were SOL with only a few letters of one year and some of another, and they didn't always mix.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 13th March 2012, 8:19pm) *

Try to remember all those housewives who were arm-twisted by encyclopedia salesmen into coughing up a big fat check for a pile of books,

Don't forget the marketing technique of releasing "letters" at a time. World Book and some of the others did the same thing - I remember as a kid seeing stores have only a couple of letters, and if you wanted the rest of the set you had to constantly come back. Otherwise, you were SOL with only a few letters of one year and some of another, and they didn't always mix.

Yup. Go to any church thrift shop and you'll see plenty of "A-C" and "M-O" volumes, but the number of late-in-the-alphabet volumes are nowhere to be found.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

It was probably inevitable--for years, only libraries bought the print edition.

Don't feel too bad for them. Try to remember all those housewives who were arm-twisted by encyclopedia salesmen into coughing up a big fat check for a pile of books, that was already obsolete upon publication. Britannica was as guilty of that as any other firm, and they even sat there in the 1990s and quietly bought up most of their competitors, like World Book and Comptons, as they went bankrupt one after another -- because of Encarta. The web came much later.

Obsolete upon publication? I disagree. I'd take a 20 year old set of Britannicas over Wikipedia any day of the week. (didn't Kohs do exactly that?)

Over time I've become much more sympathetic to content generators trying to make a living at what they do. Out of all the crap to spend money on, encyclopedias are relatively worthy.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

test
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

(Offtopic I know, but I did say you weren't banned, you didn't believe me did you? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif))
+Quote Post
Mister Die

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 14th March 2012, 12:51am) *
Obsolete upon publication? I disagree. I'd take a 20 year old set of Britannicas over Wikipedia any day of the week. (didn't Kohs do exactly that?)
I'd seriously read Great Soviet Encyclopedia articles from the 70's over Wikipedia articles on most subjects.

Take these articles for instance:
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Biology (scroll down a bit)
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Great+Britain (scroll down a fair bit more)
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Literature (the first part, the second part is just about the USSR specifically)
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com...%2c+Doctrine+of

etc.

This post has been edited by Mister Die:
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(Selina @ Tue 13th March 2012, 6:45pm) *
(Offtopic I know, but I did say you weren't banned, you didn't believe me did you? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif))

(You don't know what I was testing, do you?)
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 14th March 2012, 5:58am) *

QUOTE(Selina @ Tue 13th March 2012, 6:45pm) *

(You don't know what I was testing, do you?)

Her patience?
+Quote Post
thekohser

Some interesting follow-up reading is here, here, and here.
+Quote Post
barney

Neophyte

Paid content? A Blog? Meh.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 24,428

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&diff=481865136:

Since today (3/14/2012) in the New York Times, an article describes the end of the Encyclopedia Britannica's 244 year run of print publication, sending Britannica into the "dustbin of history," it is especially appropriate to use Britannica to correct Wikipedia's mistaken entry for the expression, "Dustbin of History," attributed to Trotsky in 1917, instead of in 1903, when the split between Mensheviks and Bolsheviks occurred. (Other Wikipedia pages had the correct information at the time.)
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Thu 29th March 2012, 2:15am) *

Since today (3/14/2012) in the New York Times, an article describes the end of the Encyclopedia Britannica's 244 year run of print publication, sending Britannica into the "dustbin of history," it is especially appropriate to use Britannica to correct Wikipedia's mistaken entry for the expression, "Dustbin of History," attributed to Trotsky in 1917, instead of in 1903, when the split between Mensheviks and Bolsheviks occurred. (Other Wikipedia pages had the correct information at the time.)

Bad date formatting too. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Enric_Naval

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Thu 29th March 2012, 2:15am) *

Well, the correct date is 1917 and wikipedia was on the right. I wonder if Britannica really gives 1903, or if this person was just trying to troll.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)