FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Rescuing our comrades from Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> Rescuing our comrades from Wikipedia
Rating  5
Olivier Besancenot

Group: Contributors

Something I have seen over and over and over is a progressive user starting with Wikipedia, being descended on by conservative users fighting them alone (since progressive users are either harassed, on probation, banned etc. like Lir, Wik, Shorne, 172, Secretlondon etc.) before they are hauled off to the biased ArbCom cabal and dealt with.

It is too big a project for one person to be on the lookout for new, progressive users who are going to be targeted by reactionaries (and since Wikipedia is unfriendly to progressives, there aren't many to defend them). When I saw one, I used to tell them about alternative wikis. Now I would tell them about Wikipedia Review as well.

I think this should be a project, for anyone who would want to join me in telling people about Wikipedia Review and alternative wikis. Especially the kind of people who would be interested in these things.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Golbez

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 35

I don't think Lir was banned for being progressive.
+Quote Post
Lir

Communist

QUOTE(Golbez @ Fri 17th March 2006, 12:21am) *

I was banned for having the audacity to think Christopher Columbus approved of slavery, despite the consensus of the cabal.
+Quote Post
Blu Aardvark

Gone

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(Lir @ Thu 16th March 2006, 10:54pm) *

QUOTE(Golbez @ Fri 17th March 2006, 12:21am) *

I was banned for having the audacity to think DNA was a nucleic acid, despite the consensus of the cabal.

In addition to opposing Snowspinner's RFA, and in general being on Raul654's bad side.
+Quote Post
guanaco

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Blu Aardvark @ Fri 17th March 2006, 12:55am) *

In addition to opposing Snowspinner's RFA, and in general being on Raul654's bad side.

I guess I'm next then.
+Quote Post
Blu Aardvark

Gone

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(guanaco @ Fri 17th March 2006, 7:59am) *
I guess I'm next then.

It's certainly possible - but they have to find a good excuse first (ie, cover their asses), and quite frankly, you haven't really provided them with one. I'm certain they're just trying to get me out of there as well - but again, there's no evidence of bannable behaviour, other than a few trivial WP:NPA violations which would be really difficult to hinge a ban on.

With Lir, it was easy to provide an excuse. They simply said, "omg lir forgot to log in and violated his injunction banzors lol", and took all of the statements he made via his IP out of context. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is presented in Lir's final case to justify a ban of a year. This is justified by saying, "well, he's a problem user", when, in fact, the evidence is startlingly strong that many editors would revert Lir on sight, and flat-out refused to work with him. Who, I ask, is the "problem user" - the one trying to make contributions in good faith, or the many - Snowspinner included - who repeatedly tried to revert those contributions in bad faith?

In addition, there is little evidence that the repeated ban evasions that Raul and Snowspinner obsessively hunt for are, in fact, Lir. (A few of them are, but many are not - in fact, even some that Raul and Snowspinner KNOW are not are still listed, such as the Orange Flowerpot brigade.)

But with others... excuses are hard to come by. You can bet that they are trying to hunt down an excuse to get rid of me, for instance - but they can't yet justify it.
+Quote Post
Lir

Communist

QUOTE(Blu Aardvark @ Fri 17th March 2006, 1:42pm) *

Nothing, and I mean nothing, is presented in Lir's final case to justify a ban of a year.

Yah, it all sounds so serious and extreme, you'd think there'd be something there; I go and look every now and again, just to reaffirm how absurd it all is... and everytime, I see that I allegedly 'vandalized' 198's user page, and 198 testified that I did not do so, and his testimony was ignored... so, I just have to shake my head at wiki justice. On top of all that, my ban for a year was not because an RfAr was made against me; instead, I had made the RfAr, in order to ask the arbitration committee to do something about people like Snowspinner, who feel they can get away with banning people, unilaterally, for month-long periods of time... my RfAr was turned wholly against me, and I was banned, apparently, for pointing out abuses of power.

It was a total sham trial, amusingly so.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)