FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Town Sheriff -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Town Sheriff
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

There's a new function being proposed called Wikipedia:Town sheriff. It's not clear to me whether this will have a net negative or positive impact. The one detail which is bound to be a sticking point is "Sheriffs who are appointed to a page may be removed the same way, by a consensus of the community."
Your thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

It looks like someone wants something that's more than a user but less than an admin, and tasked to do what, honestly, admins should be doing, but aren't. At least this isn't a solution in search of a problem (like so many Wikipedia proposals).

I doubt that this will ever get much traction; either the sheriffs will be powerless, or else they'll be admins. It's remotely possible that something like this (if implemented) could possibly lead to a change in the cultural expectations of admins, but that's all the more reason why it will not be implemented. Plus if it is implemented it's a virtual certainty that "successful" service as a sheriff will become a prerequisite for adminship, and thus there will be endless streams of clueless teenage boys strapping on their virtual gunbelts and virtual tin badges to dispense justice on the wikifrontier.

The most potentially interesting thing about this proposal, I think, is the opportunity for insight into the mindsets of those who are championing it, and objecting to it. Unfortunately, most of what we're getting is redundant information; we already knew that most Wikipedians are teenaged boys with a strong preference for social hierarchy and well-marked (and well-lit) paths for advancement.
+Quote Post
Kevin

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 10,522

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 10th February 2011, 3:56pm) *

There's a new function being proposed called Wikipedia:Town sheriff. It's not clear to me whether this will have a net negative or positive impact. The one detail which is bound to be a sticking point is "Sheriffs who are appointed to a page may be removed the same way, by a consensus of the community."
Your thoughts?

It is hard to imagine how another level of bureaucracy controlled by some community consensus can be anything other a negative overall. Of course, being a plan to give power to the selected few, no consensus to implement will ever arise.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 10th February 2011, 12:56am) *

Your thoughts?

Seems to be the project of this guy, who appears to have a type-Abd personality. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

"Requests for Sheriffcy"? Yet another jargon term; I've never heard of such a term and a Googling for it reveals a tiny scattering of hits, mostly pages saying that there's no such word.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Sanger insisted on deputizing “Constables” in Citizendium.

It was the beginning of the end as far as adult projects go.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

The project is screwed because it has no focus, a slipshod understanding of notability, a woefully poor understanding of causality, and a bevy of fuckwits in swanning about it creating drama. Adding yet more fuckwits into the pot won't improve it.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(lilburne @ Thu 10th February 2011, 9:12am) *

The project is screwed because it has no focus, a slipshod understanding of notability, a woefully poor understanding of causality, and a bevy of fuckwits in swanning about it creating drama. Adding yet more fuckwits into the pot won't improve it.

I don't think they're shooting for more fuckwits, just giving more of the fuckwits some pretty badges to show that their fuckwittery is appreciated. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

Sound like a great idea, once they define "community" for us.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

Community would be defined as a shy garage attendant, a barber, a school teacher, and a maiden aunt who watches over your young son.

You would be an honest arbiter of justice, known for your plain ways, folk wisdom, and craggy smile.

But your deputy sheriff is a bit of a rabbity dingbat, so you only allow him one bullet, kept in his shirt pocket.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Zoloft @ Thu 10th February 2011, 9:23am) *

Community would be defined as a shy garage attendant, a barber, a school teacher, and a maiden aunt who watches over your young son.

You would be an honest arbiter of justice, known for your plain ways, folk wisdom, and craggy smile.

But your deputy sheriff is a bit of a rabbity dingbat, so you only allow him one bullet, kept in his shirt pocket.

That last would be Barney Sidaway, sometimes known as the incredible Mr. Limpetmine. He drops into each episode to provide comic relief with this anxious and bizarre ideas, and you can't get rid of him.

And watch that young son-- he might grow up to be a famous producer and tell the story of it all...
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 10th February 2011, 12:56am) *

Your thoughts?

This stuff makes Facebook so much more fun to play on. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Jaranda

I don't see it working, it's a stereotype example of process creep, giving powers to people who shouldn't have powers and the things it supposed to do is already under control by adminstrators, meditators, and others in the proper noticeboard, this is laughable really. It doesn't have much support in the talk page other than a few non-admins.

This post has been edited by Jaranda:
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 10th February 2011, 7:53am) *

"Requests for Sheriffcy"? Yet another jargon term; I've never heard of such a term and a Googling for it reveals a tiny scattering of hits, mostly pages saying that there's no such word.

Bah. It should be labeled "Requests for Ensheriffment". Another non-existent word that is even more pretentious, and therefore perfect for Wikipedia, the let's-pretend encyclopedia. No Google hits at all. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 10th February 2011, 9:03pm) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 10th February 2011, 7:53am) *

Bah. It should be labeled "Requests for Ensheriffment". Another non-existent word that is even more pretentious, and therefore perfect for Wikipedia, the let's-pretend encyclopedia. No Google hits at all. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

How about just requests for "enreevement?" (they could get immediate bereevement counseling if they make it-- or don't make it).

What superpowerz do our new reeves get? Do we tell the Christopher reeve and George reeves that they're not Superman? The Steve reeves that they're not Hercules?

The amusing part of all of this, is that we're still recapitulating feudalism, and have made it now to the 14th century, perhaps. The lords of the wiki-mannor are getting bored by doing the nitty gritty oversight and accounting of the serfs, and want to hire out the managerial tasks without letting go of any powerz. So they look for shire reeves. Alas, it's still volunteer job, and just as dirty.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

Will they be sporting a tin barnstar?
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

Seems a bad idea to me but I could be confused.
+Quote Post
Sylar

They should also appoint town outlaws and grant them extra powers also.
+Quote Post
Text

Everyone on Wikipedia is a sheriff without guns to enforce anything...
+Quote Post
bi-winning

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 10th February 2011, 5:53am) *

"Sheriffship" sounds better to me, and Google seems to support.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)