FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jehochman arbcom election -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jehochman arbcom election
Littleunknownadmin

Group: Contributors

He's considered by many, including myself to be a process "wonk", which means all he does is focus on policies with little encyclopedia building. Those type of candidates tend to be controversial, does he even stand a chance with ArbCom. This one is going to be a interesting candidacy to watch.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Group: Regulars

The Arbitration Committee is almost entirely irrelevant at Wikipedia. The committee is not "the leadership". It oversees only a handful of convoluted cases a year that generally have nothing to do with an encyclopedia's content. Most of these cases relate only to ridiculous trivial dramatic feuds. And even then, the Arbitration Committee tends to fudge a verdict, resulting in conditions that are little different to those if the players had never bothered bringing it up at all. Simply a tremendous waste of time.

The Arbitration Committee provides just another avenue for gameplayers to relieve their drama fixes. These annual elections in particular serve no purpose other than to provide a dramatic Carnival of the Absurd every year. This circus kicks up much negative drama that is clearly harmful to Wikipedia - with no net gain.

If people can't see this, then I suggest that they are so addicted to this crap they've lost all perspective, and should seek professional help.
+Quote Post
Jehochman

Well, I am a computer scientist, so I like processes and having everything neatly defined. If that is wonkish, I am guilty.

I do prefer policies and clear explanations on wiki when doing things like blocking users. Would the "he's a wonk" faction prefer blocking people based on vague impressions or worse, political reasons? The fact is, a lot of admin abuse occurs because people don't pay attention to pesky details, such as evidence.

As for encyclopedia building, I tend to work on non-controversial articles, like Russian submarine K152 Nerpa, Battle of the Coral Sea and German submarine U-853. If you look at Franamax's analysis, you'll see that I am not the biggest mainspace contributor, but I do at least some real editing.

This post has been edited by Jehochman:
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

QUOTE(Littleunknownadmin @ Mon 24th November 2008, 2:15pm) *

He's considered by many, including myself to be a process "wonk", which means all he does is focus on policies with little encyclopedia building. Those type of candidates tend to be controversial, does he even stand a chance with ArbCom. This one is going to be a interesting candidacy to watch.

Checking his behavior, he's the one who impressed me the most from all the candidates. Unlike some I won't name he does not appear hungry for power or do not answer for a show.

Some of his comments were right on target, too good to be true though.

This post has been edited by Xidaf:
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

QUOTE(Jehochman @ Thu 27th November 2008, 9:38am) *

Well, I am a computer scientist, so I like processes and having everything neatly defined. If that is wonkish, I am guilty.

I do prefer policies and clear explanations on wiki when doing things like blocking users. Would the "he's a wonk" faction prefer blocking people based on vague impressions or worse, political reasons? The fact is, a lot of admin abuse occurs because people don't pay attention to pesky details, such as evidence.

As for encyclopedia building, I tend to work on non-controversial articles, like Russian submarine K152 Nerpa, Battle of the Coral Sea and German submarine U-853. If you look at Franamax's analysis, you'll see that I am not the biggest mainspace contributor, but I do at least some real editing.

Do you have anything to say on the points raised here? Do you agree?
+Quote Post
Jehochman

I agree in large part with Dbachmann's comments on ArbCom. Content matters. Just because one side is more skillful at using (or abusing) the rules to advance their position does not mean that they should prevail.

ArbCom does not rule on content matters. To me that means they do not write the articles or make editorial decisions within the realm of reasonable disagreement between good faith editors. However, if an editor is attempting to add bullshit to the encyclopedia by citing bogus sources or misrepresenting reliable sources, then ArbCom has an obligation to stop them.
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

Thanks for your reply. I've witnessed your attempt to handle what was happening at Hemsheni article, when you requested checkusers on both sides and finally detected article ownership. Even though you were powerless as the member who was owning the article enforced his change and the other side just left it to not spark another edit war you still demonstrated that you have the potential to more than just check for incivility and edit warring.

You are devoid of any sofistication and do not double talk and that smells honesty (a word so alien on Wikipedia).

I wish you the best of luck.

But I still believe that the Arbcom is worthless. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

Hmmm..., was checking your contributions this last half hour. Then came up with this.

Did you even bother checking what you were reporting? Erzerum, it was an IP who was vandalizing the page by removing sourced information about the Armenian massacre. You didn't even bother adding that info about it being an anon IP and who was vandalizing.

Van resistance, if you even bothered checking before making that claim? The edit war was between Seemsclose, TA-ME, then an IP address all (including the IP, who at least was 'pro-Armenian') were Armenians and Meowy who is not even Armenian. If you want a disruption from an admin in the same article you should rather check Jaydb who blindly reverted an IP's legitimate reinsertion of the term genocide which was removed. [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Van_Resistance&diff=204383607&oldid=204248892]

As for Hemshin peoples, dude there was several contributors in that article, Meowy, VartanM, Eupator, Namsos and several other editors and Omer was on the opposit end trying to enforce his fringe theories about Hemshin being Turks when every single encyclopedia's in the world claim them to be Armenian. If you check you will see Adoniscik editing the article too, he's a Turk, did he revert Namsos? No!

At least Khoikhoi is not representing himself as an arbitratior, if you want to see a history of selective enforcement of policy, like you'd call, you should check someone who is presenting himself as arbitrator, Jaydb.
+Quote Post
opinionated spectator

Jehochman does not seem to be that bad. But his ties with sleuths such as Durova will probably hurt him in the election.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Jehochman @ Fri 28th November 2008, 12:57am) *

To me that means they do not write the articles or make editorial decisions within the realm of reasonable disagreement between good faith editors. However, if an editor is attempting to add bullshit to the encyclopedia by citing bogus sources or misrepresenting reliable sources, then ArbCom has an obligation to stop them.

Hello J.

Do you only mean "...by banning that user" (from the affected articles or from the entire site), or are there other remedies you would consider?
+Quote Post
Jehochman

Hopefully the editor would get a lot of helpful advice before they ever got to ArbCom. If they showed a willingness to listen to advice, I'd oppose a ban. It is best to use the least amount of force necessary to get the job done.

I personally dislike using blocks to modify behavior, though once in a while they may serve to get the editor's attention. If somebody is doing wrong I think we should explain to them how they can do better. If somebody repeatedly does not get the message, then we have to figure out what to do.

If problems are specific to a particular topic, then it is better to ban them from just that area. If the person is making a mess wherever they go then a long block or ban may be needed. We have to balance the goals of helping one individual with protecting the many other editors.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Jehochman @ Sat 29th November 2008, 9:52pm) *

Hopefully the editor would get a lot of helpful advice before they ever got to ArbCom. If they showed a willingness to listen to advice, I'd oppose a ban. It is best to use the least amount of force necessary to get the job done.

I personally dislike using blocks to modify behavior, though once in a while they may serve to get the editor's attention. If somebody is doing wrong I think we should explain to them how they can do better. If somebody repeatedly does not get the message, then we have to figure out what to do.

If problems are specific to a particular topic, then it is better to ban them from just that area. If the person is making a mess wherever they go then a long block or ban may be needed. We have to balance the goals of helping one individual with protecting the many other editors.

I was hoping you would assure us that you would never propose or endorse a remedy that could be seen as an excuse to do the most disruptive thing possible with no one, repeat, no one being allowed to revert it. Do this and you'll have my vote.

Right now it's open season for anyone wishing to game the system and I'm surprised it doesn't happen on a daily basis.

But what can I say, maybe the most responsible admins are those who don't know what they can get away with. Ignorance really is bliss?
+Quote Post
Jehochman

Wikipedia policies, if enforced fairly, provide all the powers necessary to patrol biographies. You can take a look at my work on [[Talk:Sonal Shah]]. No special powers were needed to get that situation under control.

Administrators should not reverse each other's actions willy nilly, no matter what. If people would follow that ideal, then special enforcement would not be needed.

I was not involved in Footnoted Quotes, and have never used those powers. If it came before me, I'd have to look at it closely in order to make a decision. In general, I prefer to stick with traditional policies.

I recently thought about asking ArbCom to expand the special enforcement of Pseudoscience to all fringe topics. (See [[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Cold fusion/Workshop]]) I struck out that request because it seemed to be a bad idea, upon consideration.

Those are my feelings. Vote accordingly.

This post has been edited by Jehochman:
+Quote Post
Eppur si muove

Following the success of their campaign to prevent Obama being elected president (with only 78% of American Jews who voted backing him), the Jewish Internet Defense Force has now chosen their next big electoral intervention. Their aim? To prevent Jehochman from joining ARBCOM. (See the rolling news section here http://www.thejidf.org/.)

The chief sin of the candidate against the Jewish people can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...3AEinsteindonut. Please note that Mr. Donut wishes it to be known that he has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the JIDF and that is a series of coincidences that has led to every Wikipedian who has ever blocked him or reverted his edits being denounced by the JIDF as the vile antisemite that they are.

This post has been edited by SelfHater:
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(SelfHater @ Mon 1st December 2008, 2:42pm) *

Following the success of their campaign to prevent Obama being elected president (with only 78% of American Jews who voted backing him), the Jewish Internet Defense Force has now chosen their next big electoral intervention. Their aim? To prevent Jehochman from joining ARBCOM. (See the rolling news section here http://www.thejidf.org/.)

The chief sin of the candidate against the Jewish people can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...3AEinsteindonut. Please note that Mr. Donut wishes it to be known that he has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the JIDF and that is a series of coincidences that has led to every Wikipedian who has ever blocked him or reverted his edits being denounced by the JIDF as the vile antisemite that they are.

This should guarantee his election.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(SelfHater @ Mon 1st December 2008, 8:42am) *

God, I love the Internet.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(SelfHater @ Mon 1st December 2008, 2:42pm) *

I just love the 'and they use so-called "reliable sources" like the New York Times'. If quoting the NYT is really the worst problem they can dig up about Wikipedia, Somey & Selina may as well shut WR down now.
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

So having read the JIDF, they come across as the Jewish answer to the Christian Worldnet Daily, a place for the extreme right wing whackadoodles from the other faith to hang out and vent. Or am I misreading it?
+Quote Post
Eppur si muove

QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 1st December 2008, 4:38pm) *

So having read the JIDF, they come across as the Jewish answer to the Christian Worldnet Daily, a place for the extreme right wing whackadoodles from the other faith to hang out and vent. Or am I misreading it?

You catch on quickly. They have several pages on their site praising Meir Kahane, an American-Israeli who led the most rabid wing of the settlers' movement and founded the now-banned racist and terrorist Kach party. As well as venting, the JIDF like to sabotage other people's web pages. Some of those pages actually deserve sabotage.

They are also now big Wikipedia news. Jimbo himself has just removed a personal attack on Mr A. Pseudonym, the great founder of the JIDF, from the talk page on the JIDF article.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 1st December 2008, 4:38pm) *

No, that's about right.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)