FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Lar resigns tools -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lar resigns tools, Care to tell us why?
melloden

Group: Contributors

Lar (or Lair, however you say it, now), are you finally giving in to the dark side? Or was it that silly sock spat with the dumbass Jasper Deng?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

Say it ain't so.
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

I was wondering how long it would take you lot to notice... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

As for why, it wasn't any one thing in particular. My heart just isn't in it any more, and I just got tired of it all.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 12th April 2011, 7:40pm) *

I was wondering how long it would take you lot to notice... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

So, Lar. You laid down the tools or laid down being a tool. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

Congrats. You'll enjoy life so much more without the drugery. As I suggested before, they really ought to make everybody an administrator at the beginning, until they've amassed enough WP edits to let them edit for free (and whenever you want, or not at all), and not be expected or required to do anything administrative at all. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

It is an irony that goes back to Plato's Republic that the very sorts of people who seek social power are the ones that you least want to have it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) But inevitably, they are usually the ones to end up with it. QED, there is no god. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 13th April 2011, 2:58am) *

You'll enjoy life so much more without the drugery.

You said a mouthful.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 12th April 2011, 10:58pm) *

So, Lar. You laid down the tools or laid down being a tool. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

Lar is having problems getting laid because of his tool? Po' guy -- you should try having oysters at least once a day. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 13th April 2011, 3:40am) *

As for why, it wasn't any one thing in particular. My heart just isn't in it any more, and I just got tired of it all.

Well done. Hug.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 21st April 2011, 3:52pm) *

Well done. Hug.

I generally interpret "It wasn't any one thing in particular. My heart just isn't in it any more, and I just got tired of it all." to mean: "Me and the Mrs. had an argument and the amount of time I spent doing X intead of stuff she thinks is productive came up, and there was just no where go but quit."

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) As one grows older one grows more cynical. Also, women identify time spent in other than family-related pursuits as acutely as dogs hear dog barks in the distance, and cats hear catfood cans opening. I believe evolution gives them a special brain circuit for it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

+Quote Post
Lar

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 21st April 2011, 10:14pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 21st April 2011, 3:52pm) *

Well done. Hug.

I generally interpret "It wasn't any one thing in particular. My heart just isn't in it any more, and I just got tired of it all." to mean: "Me and the Mrs. had an argument and the amount of time I spent doing X intead of stuff she thinks is productive came up, and there was just no where go but quit."

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) As one grows older one grows more cynical. Also, women identify time spent in other than family-related pursuits as acutely as dogs hear dog barks in the distance, and cats hear catfood cans opening. I believe evolution gives them a special brain circuit for it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

Naa... "the wife" participates in both hobbies. It's just that when I build something with my LEGO, I don't have to worry about all and sundry coming by and adding pieces where I don't think they belong (of a completely inappropriate color or shape, often as not), putting in shoddy bits they got from who knows where, or worse, trying to make penises out of the leftover parts while I'm not watching.

The LEGO hobby is as nonproductive as editing en:wp, probably more. But it's way more fun. And even financially rewarding, once in a great while.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 22nd April 2011, 2:14am) *

Mrs. Lars: "LEGOs, Wikipedia, me. Pick two."
Lars: "LEGOs and you, babydoll."
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Lar @ Thu 21st April 2011, 7:51pm) *

It's just that when I build something with my LEGO, I don't have to worry about all and sundry coming by and adding pieces where I don't think they belong (of a completely inappropriate color or shape, often as not), putting in shoddy bits they got from who knows where, or worse, trying to make penises out of the leftover parts while I'm not watching.

Naturally you want to watch. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

Okay, we'll take your word for the rest. What other choice do we have?
+Quote Post
Lar

QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 21st April 2011, 11:23pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 22nd April 2011, 2:14am) *

Mrs. Lars: "LEGOs, Wikipedia, me. Pick two."
Lars: "LEGOs and you, babydoll."

It's Lar, not Lars.
It's LEGO (brand building elements) not LEGOs.
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Stepping away was my idea, not hers. Really. But this really is too selfreferential.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 22nd April 2011, 3:14am) *

I shall treasure this forever.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I remember reading somewhere that 18 months is the typical "participation arc" in almost any online activity - basically, you get interested, and 18 months later you're not anymore. It's probably understandable that the period would be longer with Wikipedia, especially if you have admin rights, because there's constant activity and new problems are always cropping up. Either way, Lar has been around for what, 9 years? That's a long time for any internet-based "hobby," no matter how you figure it.

Whether that's a testament to the addictiveness of WP activity or to Lar's own personal stability, or (more likely) both, is almost irrelevant after that much time.
+Quote Post
JohnA

Looking over Winston Smith's shoulder

Lar has finally realised what the rest of us have. WP is a thankless waste of lifespan.
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

They met at a convention and it was all so simple - they just clicked. That night in a Finnish hotel, after some mild protestation and a few bottles of Olvi, Lar got his legover and they built a cute little family in a sweet little house. Then Mrs Lar told Lar to get off the fucking internet all the bastard time and behave like an adult for once in his sorry life. They thought of their duplo and decided to compromise. Le Fin.

This post has been edited by powercorrupts:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 2:46pm) *

They met at a convention and it was all so simple - they just clicked. That night in a Finnish hotel, after some mild protestation and a few bottles of Olvi, Lar got his legover and they built a cute little family in a sweet little house. Then Mrs Lar told Lar to get off the fucking internet all the bastard time and behave like an adult for once in his sorry life. They thought of their duplo and decided to compromise. Le Fin.

I sort of prefer this version of life with Lar:

(Lar is sitting at the computer, where he has been playing on Wikipedia for endless hours. His wife enters the room, but Lar does not turn around. Instead, he looks at his wristwatch and realizes it is early evening)

Lar: Woman, where's my dinner?

Mrs. Lar: (angry) What do I look like, the maid? (Whacks Lar with frying pan)

Lar: (cradling his skull). Ouch, my head! You're a mean mama!

Mrs. Lar: Now get your sorry ass off that stupid website. If I wanted a computer nerd with no redeemable social skills, I would have married MZMcBride.

Lar: I promise not to go on Wikipedia again, dear. (Takes baseball bat and smashes computer to pieces.)

Mrs. Lar: Mmmmm, that's better! I love a man who knows how to swing his bat. (Kisses the spot on Lar's head where she whacked him)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(Lar @ Fri 22nd April 2011, 3:34am) *

It's Lar, not Lars.

I think you're the one who's got it wrong:

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Lars_London_2008_crop.jpg/500px-Lars_London_2008_crop.jpg)

This post has been edited by anthony:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(JohnA @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 3:36pm) *

Lar has finally realised what the rest of us have. WP is a thankless waste of lifespan.

Unless you're being paid for your time.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 2:45pm) *
QUOTE(JohnA @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 3:36pm) *
Unless you're being paid for your time.

And Lar ain't being paid. Unless it's in Lego blocks.
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(anthony @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 9:30pm) *

QUOTE(Lar @ Fri 22nd April 2011, 3:34am) *

It's Lar, not Lars.

I think you're the one who's got it wrong:

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Lars_London_2008_crop.jpg/500px-Lars_London_2008_crop.jpg)

I know that shot. He's playing "Enter Sandstein."
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(Lar @ Fri 22nd April 2011, 3:51am) *

Naa... "the wife" participates in both hobbies.

Which is marvellously convenient. Whenever there seems to be another account using the same IP as Lar, it is of course his wife, not someone using a rootkit.
+Quote Post
Text

Which is marvellously convenient. Whenever there seems to be another account using the same IP as Lar, it is of course his wife, not someone using a rootkit.

It's known that the wife uses the name Josette, so they can block all of his improper accounts as clones of her.
+Quote Post
melloden

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 7:46pm) *

*La Fin.
+Quote Post
chrisoff

Who cares about any of this?
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 4:51pm) *
Mrs. Lar: Now get your sorry ass off that stupid website. If I wanted a computer nerd with no redeemable social skills, I would have married MZMcBride.
Don't be ridiculous, Mrs. Lar called me "irresistibly charming." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Sun 24th April 2011, 9:10pm) *
Who cares about any of this?
/wrists
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 12th April 2011, 10:40pm) *

Good for you, Brother Lar. Let me know if you need gardening advice. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Tue 26th April 2011, 1:22am) *

Good for you, Brother Lar. Let me know if you need gardening advice. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Yes, I just spent the day gardening.

Perfect waste, when I could have been voting on the recent crop of RFAs.

Sheeesh.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th April 2011, 12:37am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Tue 26th April 2011, 1:22am) *

Yes, I just spent the day gardening.

Perfect waste, when I could have been voting on the recent crop of RFAs.

Sheeesh.

One reason my weekend participation in Wikipedia has been so much lower for the last year or so is because, coincidentally, I've been outside doing yardwork and gardening.
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(melloden @ Sun 24th April 2011, 11:11pm) *

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Sat 23rd April 2011, 7:46pm) *

*La Fin.

Good, I'm glad someone found it funny.
+Quote Post
Casliber

Gardening is good - a mazing how meagre some of the horticultural content is on WP...guess it's because it's an outdoor hobby.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

QUOTE(Casliber @ Tue 26th April 2011, 7:13am) *

Gardening is good - a mazing how meagre some of the horticultural content is on WP...guess it's because it's an outdoor hobby.

And a healthy one!
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th April 2011, 12:25am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Tue 26th April 2011, 7:13am) *

And a healthy one!

The Jerusalem crickets creep me out though. Tuber-chewing striped monsters...

This post has been edited by Zoloft:
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

While we are on the superior (if somewhat privileged) subject of gardening, has anyone heard of the Keelie apple? I'm planting the tree in a large pot and am looking for more info on filling it. All I'm getting on Google are teenage Americans referencing their iphones, even in quotes. Which just shows how backward search engine technology still is. It think it's probably an alternative name for a fairly common variety, but 'Keelie apple' all I've got on the tag.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Tue 26th April 2011, 4:24am) *

...has anyone heard of the Keelie apple...

Neither Google Books nor Google Scholar have ever heard of "Keelie apple". Your tag sounds wrong.

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
thekohser

{duplicate post}

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
Casliber

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 26th April 2011, 10:19pm) *

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Tue 26th April 2011, 4:24am) *

...has anyone heard of the Keelie apple...

Neither Google Books nor Google Scholar have ever heard of "Keelie apple". Your tag sounds wrong.

True, nothing comes up, but horticulture coverage on the net can be surprisingly patchy. Still, I have never heard the name....and it is a tad warm in my neck of the woods to get apples to grow well (winter too warm/rare frosts only)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 25th April 2011, 8:57pm) *

One reason my weekend participation in Wikipedia has been so much lower for the last year or so is because, coincidentally, I've been outside doing yardwork and gardening.

"A vegetable garden in the beginning looks so promising and then after all little by little it grows nothing but vegetables, nothing, nothing but vegetables." - Gertrude Stein (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Of course, some vegetables are more amusing than others. Take a cucumber, for example...you might be surprised what fun you can have with a cucumber. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

I have farmers in my family, and they haven't heard of them.
All About Apples doesn't have them as a variety.
The USDA site comes up blank.

http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_fruit_cultivars_apple.htm

Meh.

There are about 8000 varieties.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Zoloft @ Tue 26th April 2011, 10:45am) *

I have farmers in my family, and they haven't heard of them.
All About Apples doesn't have them as a variety.
The USDA site comes up blank.

http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_fruit_cultivars_apple.htm

Meh.

There are about 8000 varieties.

Did you buy it from a guy named Keelie? I have a variety named for my farm that can only be bought on my farm.

Better find out more though: each apple cultivar needs a very specific kind of soil, of course, and you'll also need to know the kind of rootstock (and interstock, if the Keelies are fancy). (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

<nix duplicate... Somey needs to fix something!>

This post has been edited by SB_Johnny:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)