FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Everybody Draw Mohammed Day -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, I'm shocked, shocked to find drama on Wikipedia
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

Three-to-one-on that this argument results in (1) someone being blocked, (2) someone saying "do you know who I am?", (3) someone whining on Jimmy Wales's talkpage and/or (4) a mention in the Register. You heard it here first.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

For laughs, I hope people merely take older (PD) images (hopefully very famous) and merely claim them as a depiction of Mohammad. The less likely the better. By technicality, the Muslims who get angry over it should still be angry as merely labeling someone as the prophet would be enough since we don't actually know what he looks like (and could look like Henry VIII in full royal gown).

By the way, Gatoclass would probably only whine and is not likely to go to Jimbo.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 5th May 2010, 3:16pm) *

By technicality, the Muslims who get angry over it should still be angry as merely labeling someone as the prophet would be enough since we don't actually know what he looks like (and could look like Henry VIII in full royal gown).

Uh - we know exactly what he looked like, since his son-in-law helpfully left a description:
[Muhammad] is neither too short nor too tall. His hair is neither curly nor straight, but a mixture of the two. He is a man of black hair and large skull. His complexion has a tinge of redness. His shoulder bones are broad and his palms and feet are fleshy. He has long hair growing from neck to navel. He has long eye-lashes, close eye-brows, smooth and shining fore-head and a long space between his shoulders. When he walks he walks inclining as if coming down from a height. I never saw a man like him before him or after him

+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

* [Muhammad] is neither too short nor too tall. - Rather vague.
* His hair is neither curly nor straight, but a mixture of the two. - Also vague and veriable
* He is a man of black hair and large skull. His complexion has a tinge of redness. -Any black and white image should accommodate this (and large skull? whatever that means)
* His shoulder bones are broad and his palms and feet are fleshy. - He has some weight to him, perfect for Henry VIII
* He has long hair growing from neck to navel. - Why would his nephew describe his bare chest? Creeepppyyy.
* He has long eye-lashes, close eye-brows, smooth and shining fore-head and a long space between his shoulders. - Whatever this means.
* When he walks he walks inclining as if coming down from a height. I never saw a man like him before him or after him - I doubt we'd depict him walking.

See, not too hard to apply to others.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Well, at least he doesn't look like a sheeple, a salmon, a centaur, or a killer pooch.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 5th May 2010, 2:35pm) *

Well, at least he doesn't look like a sheeple, a salmon, a centaur, or a killer pooch.

Sheeples are adorable!
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 5th May 2010, 3:09pm) *

Three-to-one-on that this argument results in (1) someone being blocked, (2) someone saying "do you know who I am?", (3) someone whining on Jimmy Wales's talkpage and/or (4) a mention in the Register. You heard it here first.

You're probably right. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) There is also a fair chance the word "wiki-hounding" might be used at some point in the future, in reference to anyone that disagrees more than once with Cirt. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

That aside, is it a good hook/article for the main page?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 5th May 2010, 9:16am) *

For laughs, I hope people merely take older (PD) images (hopefully very famous) and merely claim them as a depiction of Mohammad. The less likely the better. By technicality, the Muslims who get angry over it should still be angry as merely labeling someone as the prophet would be enough since we don't actually know what he looks like (and could look like Henry VIII in full royal gown).

By the way, Gatoclass would probably only whine and is not likely to go to Jimbo.

For laughs you want to use Free Kulture to give offense, spread ill will and intolerance. Sounds about right both for you and Free Kulture.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Wed 5th May 2010, 3:55pm) *

That aside, is it a good hook/article for the main page?

No; quite aside from the recentism problem—in six weeks time, nobody will care about this event—it's just plain boring. A "did you know" section ought to at least pay lip service to the idea of "wow, I didn't know that!", not "of course I didn't know that because nobody except those directly involved gives two fucks".
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

Sounds to me that in reality the big M is in a witness protection program.
+Quote Post
HRIP7

Ah, the obsequious thanks. I guess that's how you make friends and allies in Wikiland.

Let's see if this will develop into full-fledged persecution of Gatoclass. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif)
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 5th May 2010, 7:24am) *
Uh - we know exactly what he looked like, since his son-in-law helpfully left a description:
[Muhammad] is neither too short nor too tall. His hair is neither curly nor straight, but a mixture of the two. He is a man of black hair and large skull. His complexion has a tinge of redness. His shoulder bones are broad and his palms and feet are fleshy. He has long hair growing from neck to navel. He has long eye-lashes, close eye-brows, smooth and shining fore-head and a long space between his shoulders. When he walks he walks inclining as if coming down from a height. I never saw a man like him before him or after him

That sounds just like this guy:
(IMG:http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7461/mrnaturaljustpassinthru.jpg)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 5th May 2010, 5:14pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 5th May 2010, 7:24am) *

That sounds just like this guy:

OMG! Infidel!
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Wed 5th May 2010, 3:55pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 5th May 2010, 3:09pm) *

You're probably right. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) There is also a fair chance the word "wiki-hounding" might be used at some point in the future, in reference to anyone that disagrees more than once with Cirt. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

Bingo.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 5th May 2010, 2:16pm) *

For laughs, I hope people merely take older (PD) images (hopefully very famous) and merely claim them as a depiction of Mohammad.

Muhammad, at age 12, naked:

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Stick_Figure.svg/200px-Stick_Figure.svg.png)

Oh shit. Now Larry Sanger's going to report me to the FBI!
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 6th May 2010, 2:07am) *

Oh shit. Now Larry Sanger's going to report me to the FBI!

Oh! Two for the price of one. Nice. : D Quick, upload it to Commons!

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 5th May 2010, 7:41am) *

Sheeples are adorable!

Not as adorable as peepshi.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 6th May 2010, 4:19am) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 5th May 2010, 7:41am) *

Sheeples are adorable!

Not as adorable as peepshi.

OMG. That needs to have an article page.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

All religion is superstitious nonsense.

If an individual wants to believe it, it's his/her own business; however, when people try to censor or restrict others on the grounds of their particular brand of superstition, they become oppressors.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

I would go farther than Dan, to point out that religions are not the only variety of belief systems that people adopt on faith, without regard for the diligent epistemology that would confirm or refute the scientific accuracy of the beliefs in question.

It is often noted, for example, that Wikipedia is a cult which is not exactly a religion, but neither is it a well-grounded system of beliefs (or philosophical principles) and associated derivative practices.

The anachronistic and dysfunctional governance model of Wikipedia is a notable example of a failed system of beliefs and derivative practices.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 6th May 2010, 5:24am) *

I would go farther than Dan, to point out that religions are not the only variety of belief systems that people adopt on faith, without regard for the diligent epistemology that would confirm or refute the scientific accuracy of the beliefs in question.
{{fact}}

You obviously have not acquainted yourself with scholars such as Nicholas of Kues.
+Quote Post
Kwork

Group: Special Contributors

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Wed 5th May 2010, 4:26pm) *

Ah, the obsequious thanks. I guess that's how you make friends and allies in Wikiland.

Let's see if this will develop into full-fledged persecution of Gatoclass. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif)

I think that I am fairly familiar with Wikipedia and its problems, but the point of this discussion is lost on me. Could someone explain what it is that makes Cirt any worse than any other administrator (Gatoclass for example), or why Pieter Kuiper is any better than any other user who is involved on one side in Wikipedia's I/P disputes?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 6th May 2010, 7:26am) *

All religion is superstitious nonsense.

I understand your perspective, Dan. But I, for one, subscribe to the values of learning, understanding, and applying the wisdom of religious teachings to our daily lives.

When it comes to Wikipediots, I really suck at it. But... in other areas, it is a help to me.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 6th May 2010, 9:46am) *
You obviously have not acquainted yourself with scholars such as Nicholas of Kues.

Indeed I am not. But could you say more about his role in promoting diligent epistemology of arbitrary beliefs systems (including scientific beliefs, religious beliefs, secular political beliefs, and popular cultural beliefs)?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

OK here it comes...

Obviously the point of this "protest" (imagine rich white people protesting the beliefs of a hard pressed and often maligned minority in the heart of the rich white peoples very own society) is to mock Muslim sensitivities about depicting Mohammad. The use of images that could not possibly be Mohammad is suppose to disarm Muslim concerns. Maybe it does. But what remains is the insensitivity that motivated the campaign. Muslims don't deserve yet another slap in the face.

Once again Wikipedia, the Wikipedians on WR and even some WRers who cannot fairly be called Wikipedians join in the mockery. Once again the most import value is our own self expression. Once again someone else has to bare the burden of our entitlement.

Speak Truth to Power.
Speak Trash to the Powerless.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 6th May 2010, 3:06pm) *

OK here it comes...

Obviously the point of this "protest" (imagine rich white people protesting the beliefs of a hard pressed and often maligned minority in the heart of the rich white peoples very own society) is to mock Muslim sensitivities about depicting Mohammad. The use of images that could not possibly be Mohammad is suppose to disarm Muslim concerns. Maybe it does. But what remains is the insensitivity that motivated the campaign. Muslims don't deserve yet another slap in the face.

Once again Wikipedia, the Wikipedians on WR and even some WRers who cannot fairly be called Wikipedians join in the mockery. Once again the most import value is our own self expression. Once again someone else has to bare the burden of our entitlement.

Speak Truth to Power.

I don't really think a group of over 1 billion people are a "minority" or that people who have the ability to wage war all over the Middle East and fly three planes into US buildings are powerless.

But thanks for trolling.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 6th May 2010, 10:11am) *

OK here it comes...

Speak Truth to Power.

I don't really think a group of over 1 billion people are a "minority" or that people who have the ability to wage war all over the Middle East and fly three planes into US buildings are powerless.

But thanks for trolling.

Well if your so brave go into the slums of Cairo with your "protest."
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

Obviously the point of this "protest"...is to mock Muslim sensitivities about depicting Mohammad.

Well, yeah, obviously.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 6th May 2010, 11:14am) *
Obviously the point of this "protest"...is to mock Muslim sensitivities about depicting Mohammad.
Well, yeah, obviously.

But is it trolling?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 6th May 2010, 3:13pm) *

But thanks for trolling.

And now you just proved that they do have power across the world and would seek violence against me, verifying that your previous comments were trolling.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 6th May 2010, 10:19am) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 6th May 2010, 3:13pm) *

But thanks for trolling.

And now you just proved that they do have power across the world and would seek violence against me, verifying that your previous comments were trolling.

What an asshole you are to invoke 9/11.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 6th May 2010, 11:11am) *

I've always thought that projecting the actions of an Al Qaeda extremist group onto the lot of a billion believers would be similar to saying that a Ku Klux Klan rally represents the beliefs of all Christians.

Way to go, Ottava.
+Quote Post
Kwork

QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 6th May 2010, 2:46pm) *

Indeed I am not. But could you say more about his role in promoting diligent epistemology of arbitrary beliefs systems (including scientific beliefs, religious beliefs, secular political beliefs, and popular cultural beliefs)?

Islam may be the world's largest religion, and is certainly one of the largest. Apparently1.3-1.5 billion according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_world
Some of Islamic countries are very wealthy also. Why do you think that is "Speaking Trash to the Powerless"?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Kwork @ Thu 6th May 2010, 10:24am) *

Islam may be the world's largest religion, and is certainly one of the largest. Apparently1.3-1.5 billion according to
Some of Islamic countries are very wealthy also. Why do you think that is "Speaking Trash to the Powerless"?

I live in America. More than 99% of the users of this site and en.WP are from the the English speaking world and Europe. Muslims are a small and hard pressed minority in our society. They are easy to pick on and vilify. Almost no one will speak up if you do. I'm speaking up for my neighbors and countrymen who are Muslims.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 6th May 2010, 11:22am) *

I've always thought that projecting the actions of an Al Qaeda extremist group onto the lot of a billion believers would be similar to saying that a Ku Klux Klan rally represents the beliefs of all Christians.

And by extension, that is like saying that Arbcom is representative of the Wikipedia community -- puerile, hypocritical, self-important, ill-equipped to handle editorial duties, unfit for managerial...

Oh, wait...that wasn't a good example. Hmmm.... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 6th May 2010, 3:30pm) *

I live in America.

And if you weren't so ignorant you would realize that the world is more than America. Stop trolling already. People are tired of it.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 6th May 2010, 10:39am) *

I live in America.

And if you weren't so ignorant you would realize that the world is more than America. Stop trolling already. People are tired of it.

Weak. I know you have a whole world of Muslims to hate.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 6th May 2010, 11:30am) *

I live in America.

Me too. I like to live in America, okay by me in America...

+Quote Post
Kwork

QUOTE(Kwork @ Thu 6th May 2010, 10:24am) *

I live in America. More than 99% of the users of this site and en.WP are from the the English speaking world and Europe. Muslims are a small and hard pressed minority in our society. They are easy to pick on and vilify. Almost no one will speak up if you do. I'm speaking up for my neighbors and countrymen who are Muslims.

The Muslim population in the USA is rather well educated, many very well educated. The ones that have citizenship vote, and most are politically active. It is a small population, but probably already bigger than the USA Jewish population.

Muslims need to develop an ability to deal with stuff they may not like. Of course hate speech is forbiden, but otherwise mild humor and criticism is protected freedom of speech. I would like to see Muslims develop enough humor about themselves so they could make an ad like this one made by Israeli Jews about their own religion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQkopQSOlA
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 6th May 2010, 11:39am) *
Stop trolling already. People are tired of it.

We really do need to unpack the expansion of the scope of "trolling" to encompass anything and everything which one is taking exception to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)