FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
How Independent Are The Many Tongues Of Wikipædia? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Independent Are The Many Tongues Of Wikipædia?, Has Anglish Imperialism Already Strangled Their Diversity?
Rating  2
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

I have some initial data, but I have to break for dinner just now …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 28th August 2008, 5:26pm) *

I have some initial data, but I have to break for dinner just now …

Later that day …

Based on the extensive e-discussions — on matters mostly logical, mathematical, and philosophical — that I've had with people from a variety of countries and linguistic communities over the past decade or so, I have always imagined that the non-anglophone Wikipædiæ would probably have to be somewhat fiercely protective of their independence from the Mad Dogs and Englishmen that we all know and loathe from the English Wikipædia. Aside from my personal experiences in email exchanges and discussion groups, I guess that I imagined this about the Wikipædiæ of other lands and languages partly because I know — knowing what I know about my own cultural cohort — that Ausland Gardeners would have good reason to guard against colonization by clones like us.

Ah, the things that we imagine in the absence of concrete, pertinent, and sufficient data …

I am bogged down in other work right now and I have to be away most of tomorrow, so I'll just jot down a few bits of raw data as reminders of my task until I can get back to it later on.

Data
  1. Overleg gebruiker:Jon Awbrey
  2. Overleg gebruiker:JonAwbrey

This post has been edited by Jon Awbrey:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

My standard web-safe vita as it appears at Google Knol.

My Knol Vita is formatted slightly slicker, but it's exactly the same content that Nederlander Admin Annabel described as "linkspam".

Of course, she blocked me from using either Wikipedia email or my own talk page over there to discuss the matter like rational adults …

+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 28th August 2008, 9:28pm) *

My Knol Vita is formatted slightly slicker, but it's exactly the same content that Nederlander Admin Annabel described as "linkspam".

Of course, she blocked me from using either Wikipedia email or my own talk page over there to discuss the matter like rational adults …

Pretty impressive, Jon, especially the"Presentations and Publications" section. I imagine you posted this "link spam" in an effort to explain why your Wikipedian detractors might not be justified in their dismissive attitude. What might help is "Inquiry Driven Systems for Dummies."
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 28th August 2008, 11:47pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 28th August 2008, 9:28pm) *

Pretty impressive, Jon, especially the"Presentations and Publications" section. I imagine you posted this "link spam" in an effort to explain why your Wikipedian detractors might not be justified in their dismissive attitude. What might help is "Inquiry Driven Systems for Dummies."

As it happens, I came to visit the NederLands Wikipedia partly on account of subjects discussed by various Peer-To-Peer Folk and partly by following the Interwiki link from the English Wikipedia article on Inquiry, which I seem to recall having had a big hand in writing once upon a time.

No, Not That Big Hand.

But that is just my canonical† vita, one that I post on most every website that I work on, by way of detailing my background and interests — y'know, for the sake of intellectual sharing and all that rubbish.

† Not that I'm claiming to be a saint or anything, you understand.

+Quote Post
thekohser

Group: Regulars

If vitae were blockable spam offenses, then this page wouldn't exist.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 29th August 2008, 8:15am) *

If vitae were blockable spam offenses, then this page wouldn't exist.

Oh, I think we all know that having a personal data sheet on one's user and talk pages is no big deal in Wikipedia — unless, of course, your personal data enters the realm of non-fiction, or else you are not a Cabal-Certified-Cartoon-Character. That upsets them, Big Time.

Have we reached the point in Wiki-Waki-World where a person who discloses his real name and email address, along with a modicum of personal intellectual history, is just naturally subject to search and seizure at every port of call on the Wiki-Planet?

What is going on here?

Nederlander Admins Annabel and MoiraMoira had the audacity to accuse me of being a GP [UserPage] LinkSpammer and a Cross-Wiki Vandaal.

To be a "cross-wiki vandal" is to be guilty of vandalism on more than one Wikipedia. Where is their evidence of any such guilt?

What sort of people behave that way?

I have known a sufficient variety of Dutch people throughout my life to know that this cannot be attributed to any sort of "national character" — not that I believe in such things as "national character" in the first place — but I am already beginning to suspect that there is something to the positing of a Wikipediot Character (WC), one that now shows signs of creeping across cultural, linguistic, and national boundaries.

Tell me it ain't so!

I mean, tell me with reason and evidence.

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

It seems that Nederlands Wikipedia Admin Annabel has placed two variants of my name on a Spam Blacklist at Meta.

Remember all that guff we were hearing last week about how Global Blocking would be extremely rarely used and a power reserved to Stewards?

UnHuh …

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

I appended a request to Annabel's posting of my name on the Talk:Spam BadList @ Meta.

Jon Awbrey‎ and JonAwbrey

{{usersummary|Jon Awbrey‎}}

{{usersummary|JonAwbrey‎}}

Creates userpages full of external links (and selfpromotion references?) on many wikis. Annabel 19:08, 28 August 2008 (UTC)

I placed the same vita on my user page that I use on all the sites where I contribute work and discuss ideas with other interested parties. This does not constitute SPAM (= "unsolicited mass-mailing or posting") in any technical or COI sense of the word. I would appreciate the two variants of my real name that I use on the Internet and Web not being listed on any kind of badlists. Thank you, Jon Awbrey 19:12, 29 August 2008 (UTC)

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Continuing Discussion In The Meta*BadLands —

Jon Awbrey‎ and JonAwbrey‎

{{usersummary|Jon Awbrey‎}}
{{usersummary|JonAwbrey}}

• Creates userpages full of external links (and selfpromotion references?) on many wikis. Annabel 19:08, 28 August 2008 (UTC)

• I placed the same vita on my user page that I use on all the sites where I contribute work and discuss ideas with other interested parties. This does not constitute SPAM (= "unsolicited mass-mailing or posting") in any technical or COI sense of the word. I would appreciate the two variants of my real name that I use on the Internet and Web not being listed on any kind of badlists. Thank you, Jon Awbrey 19:12, 29 August 2008 (UTC)

• While it may not be [[wikt:spam|spam]], it would seem to be abuse of WMF wikis & as such unwanted. While community members are given leeway with their userpages, such excessive linking is generally frowned upon. Furthermore, I very much doubt you understand all the languages you have posted this to, nor are you active in those wikis. I invite you to fix the problem before it is done for you. The history at enwiki will be of interest to others reviewing this. Mike.lifeguard 19:36, 29 August 2008 (UTC)

• I would appreciate it if you could point to the relevant WMF Terms of Service, or even a generally accepted standard of etiquette that would justify your calling this user page vita an "Abuse". I am referring to the one now posted here at Meta, which is a copy of the one deleted by Annabel from my Nederlands User Page. By "generally accepted standard of etiquette" I mean one that you could honestly assure me is followed across the board on all WMF User Pages. In addition, I have never seen any notice of Wikipedias being "Encyclopedias that anyone who is fluent in the local language can edit" — but please let me know if I have missed such a restriction somewhere. Jon Awbrey 20:22, 29 August 2008 (UTC)

+Quote Post
thekohser

And they wonder how "critics" develop into "trolls" who develop into "stalkers" who develop into "deranged maniacs" who develop into (it now appears) "cross-wiki vandals".

You have reached new lows, Jon Awbrey.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 29th August 2008, 4:42pm) *

And they wonder how "critics" develop into "trolls" who develop into "stalkers" who develop into "deranged maniacs" who develop into (it now appears) "cross-wiki vandals".

You have reached new lows, Jon Awbrey.

Yes, it's true, I'm tired of hiding —

I am a cross-redresser …

And damn proud of it!

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

The Heat Goes On —

Jon Awbrey‎ and JonAwbrey

• You misunderstand me crucially. I do not say you need to be fluent in the languages where you contribute. To claim that would be hypocritical; I edit all WMF wikis. The issue is that:
  1. You are not an established member of the community on any wiki where you have a userpage (so far as I can tell).
  2. Your userpage has an excessive amount of links (indeed, links form the only content, and they appear to be placed for self-promotional purposes). This would perhaps be an issue regardless of the above.
    — Mike.lifeguard 20:31, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
• Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think it is customary for newcomers to any of the many-tongued Wikipædiæ to be subjected to the ordeals of this type of entrance exam with regard to the legitimacy of their participation. However, By FYIing my real name, educational background, and ongoing intellectual interests, I have certainly done more than the avarage Anon IP on that score.

• Many people post pics on their user pages as a way of providing a friendly introduction to themselves, their current interests, and their personal histories. My old web vita harks back to a day when I was unsure about the propriety of copying pics, so I used links instead, over the years being forced to replace many of them with WayBak links. You can hardly dream that I am collecting revenue off archival links like that, can you?

• If and when you personally discover an interest in some of the Active Suggestions Concerning Intellectual Interchange that I enumerated in my web vita — which was my sole purpose in posting it to my NL User Page — then we may find more interesting things to talk about. In the mean time, I can hardly become an "established member of the community on any wiki", much less learn a few bits of the local colour and language, if some Admin deletes my self-introductory user page and blocks my account after the first few edits, now can I? Jon Awbrey 23:45, 29 August 2008 (UTC)

+Quote Post
thekohser

Mike.lifeguard's just a non-drinking, gay Canadian skier. I mean, who's ever heard of a skier with no interest in apres ski? He has nothing BETTER to do, Jon, than to taunt and troll people like you who have more degrees than he could ever dream of.

Sad.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 30th August 2008, 12:14am) *

Mike.lifeguard's just a …

Just a person who has managed to get himself e-trusted with a few x-tra bully buttons, doing what it seems like all too many human, all too human beings just naturally seem to do when, and if, they manage to get themselves so e-trusted.

But I've seen it all too often now to believe that Individual Differences (ID's) are the main φactor of causal φarce in the e-gress of the φ-nomenon.

And don't forget, I found myself e-rolling on that Meta-Pedia BadList Diss-Cussin Page only because it showed up on one of my routine Li'l' Bot Toll Me Google searches that toll me somebuddy was Bad-Mousing my Nomen in the φarsed place. So we have to go back to the motives of those Dutch Customs Oaficials, Annabel and Moira², in our quest to x-plane the general φ-nomen-non involved here.

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Speak O' Th' Debil —

Those of you who were worrying what Guy — no, Da Udder Guy — has been up to lately can be at peace.

Natterly He's Buzzy Stalkin And Harassin His Old Nememenenemesys, Yours Truly —

QUOTE(Guy Chapman, Aliass JzG @ 04 Sep 2008 UTC 20:50)

• Jon, this same sort of Wikilawyering nonsense is what got you banned from enWP and booted from the mailing list. Obviously your rampant sockpuppetry and disruption ensures you remain banned on enWP. I would be the first to help you if you wanted your massive list of socks associated with some other name, to reduce the impact on you, but I don't see why we should help you to pretend that you are here to do anything other than the usual: self-promotion and idiosyncratic original research. JzG 20:50, 4 September 2008 (UTC)

@ Meta.Wikimedia.Org/Wiki/Talk:Spam Badlist#Jon Awbrey and JonAwbrey

Same Ole Same Ole Guy …

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Not So Quiet On The Global Front

Observations continue, but we can now dispell the notion that this has anything to do with whether one is an established contributor on the language wiki or project wiki in question.

I have been a user on the Chinese Wikipedia for almost two years, since 01 Dec 2006. I signed on there when I noticed that some articles I wrote for the English Wikipedia had been given closely parallel translations into Chinese. I have from time to time made other edits there and have much enjoyed perusing the site and learning the sample of Chinese characters that I could pick up for terms in logic, mathematics, and philosophy. I have until today been free of harassment from anyone, but that is no longer the case.

• 00:53, 11 September 2008 Mike.lifeguard (Talk | contribs) (473 bytes) (rm cross-wiki self-promotion)

Who the hell does Mike Lifeguard think he is, barging into a supposedly independent site and interfering with my freedom to interact with the other users there!?

I have been on that wiki more than twice as long as he has — a wiki on which he has contributed no substantive content since his registration on 22 January 2008. The only edits he has made outside of custodial work were to BADMOUTH me to two other users on the site:Is everything that the WMF pretends to stand for nothing but a Web Of Lies!?

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 10th September 2008, 10:18pm) *

Not So Quiet On The Global Front

Observations continue, but we can now dispell the notion that this has anything to do with whether one is an established contributor on the language wiki or project wiki in question.

I have been a user on the Chinese Wikipedia for almost two years, since 01 Dec 2006. I signed on there when I noticed that some articles I wrote for the English Wikipedia had been given closely parallel translations into Chinese. I have from time to time made other edits there and have much enjoyed perusing the site and learning the sample of Chinese characters that I could pick up for terms in logic, mathematics, and philosophy. I have until today been free of harassment from anyone, but that is no longer the case.

• 00:53, 11 September 2008 Mike.lifeguard (Talk | contribs) (473 bytes) (rm cross-wiki self-promotion)

Who the hell does Mike Lifeguard think he is, barging into a supposedly independent site and interfering with my freedom to interact with the other users there!?

I have been on that wiki more than twice as long as he has — a wiki on which he has contributed no substantive content since his registration on 22 January 2008. The only edits he has made outside of custodial work were to BADMOUTH me to two other users on the site:Is everything that the WMF pretends to stand for nothing but a Web Of Lies!?

Mikey Lifer has now started systematically stalking my contributions across the International Wikipedias, reverting everything he finds.

Mike Lifeguard's campaign of defamation across International Wikis continues to compound itself with egregious acts of vandalism and rank abuse of power at the highest levels:
  1. Mike Lifeguard @ Beta Wikiversity
  2. Mike Lifeguard @ Bulgarian Wikipedia
  3. Mike Lifeguard @ Chinese Wikipedia
  4. Mike Lifeguard @ English Wikibooks
  5. Mike Lifeguard @ English Wikiversity
  6. Mike Lifeguard @ Esperanto Wikipedia
  7. Mike Lifeguard @ Finnish Wikipedia
  8. Mike Lifeguard @ French Wikipedia
  9. Mike Lifeguard @ German Wikipedia
  10. Mike Lifeguard @ Italian Wikipedia
  11. Mike Lifeguard @ Japanese Wikipedia
  12. Mike Lifeguard @ Korean Wikipedia
  13. Mike Lifeguard @ Polish Wikipedia
  14. Mike Lifeguard @ Portuguese Wikipedia
  15. Mike Lifeguard @ Russian Wikipedia
  16. Mike Lifeguard @ Serbian Wikipedia
  17. Mike Lifeguard @ Simple English Wikipedia
  18. Mike Lifeguard @ Spanish Wikipedia
  19. Mike Lifeguard @ Swedish Wikipedia

+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Have any of the communities objected to this? Have you contacted these communities about their sovereignty being violated by Mike.lifeguard? My goodness, if Mike did this on WikiQuote, he'd be banned by now.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 11th September 2008, 10:10pm) *

Have any of the communities objected to this? Have you contacted these communities about their sovereignty being violated by Mike.lifeguard? My goodness, if Mike did this on WikiQuote, he'd be banned by now.

I will try to reconstruct a chronology as I get the time.

It is of course impossible — for me, not Daniel Brandt maybe — to tell what sorts of communications went on behind the scenes, on IRC or modes even less traceable. I was actually surprised that Mike Lifeguard contacted as many International Admins — I suppose that's what they were — on their talk pages. But the talk page indictments came down a few days later than the other blocks I received — I am guessing that these are the Admins that Herby, Mikey, et al. could not reach by email, IRC, or PM. Just my sense of the timing.

The only wiki where I got blocked immediately was the Nederlands Wikipedia. I detailed that in other posts. But the blocker from the Nederlands, Annabel, posted her SPAM charges on the Meta Spam Badlist page, and it appears to have been then that Guy Chapman picked up on it, after which things escalated in the customary Guyesque way.

There are numerous wikis that I registered on way back when I was active on the English Wikipedia, mostly in the countries where I have e-friends and correspondents, the languages with large Peirce communities, the resource wikis like WikiNews, WikiQuote, WikiSource, and Wiktionary, and the wikis where Web searches informed me that people had translated one or more of my English articles.

It was only recently, when I started reworking some of my old articles into knols, that Knol's Similar Content tool told me that some very large articles of mine had been translated whole hog to the German and Portuguese Wikipedias. This caused me to reflect that maybe I should look again at some of the International Wikipedias. I have always had fairly good interactions with my discussion group correspondents in the international Peirce communities, even in languages that I hardly know at all, working with paper dictionaries and automatic translators, and I even collaborated on translating some papers on Cybernetics to and from Russian on no more basis than that.

I had already started telling the story of what happened on the Portuguese Wikipedia here, so I will just refer to that now and get back to this travelogue later.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)