FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
If Durova was at Requests for Adminship -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If Durova was at Requests for Adminship, How would you feel about that?
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

I was just wondering how people would feel if Durova was considered for adminship again? Only I think she's addressed a lot of the concerns people had a year ago and behaved well.(I was pro Giano etc at the time of the !! debacle.) Do you think she's done much 'wrong' on wiki over the past year? Just wondered.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Fri 24th October 2008, 8:55am) *

I was just wondering how people would feel if Durova was considered for adminship again? Only I think she's addressed a lot of the concerns people had a year ago and behaved well.(I was pro Giano etc at the time of the !! debacle.) Do you think she's done much 'wrong' on wiki over the past year? Just wondered.

The question you have to answer with Durova is "Why?" Clearly adminship for her is about status and influence - in principle two reasons why she should not have adminship. Put another way, how does Durova having adminship help build an encyclopedia instead of attracting controversy?

Or to put more generally, what is the point of being an admin (forgetting about the "just some tools" argument which it clearly is not)?
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Fri 24th October 2008, 7:55am) *

I would support Durova, as I believe her to be honest, and to have learned from mistakes in the past. Then again, I'm banned, so my vote wouldn't count for much.

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 24th October 2008, 7:59am) *

Clearly adminship for her is about status and influence - in principle two reasons why she should not have adminship.

Wikipedia adminship is for just about everyone about status and influence. Pretenses aside, the question is if someone deserves a promotion to a status of influence in the project.
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 24th October 2008, 8:59am) *

The question you have to answer with Durova is "Why?" Clearly adminship for her is about status and influence - in principle two reasons why she should not have adminship. Put another way, how does Durova having adminship help build an encyclopedia instead of attracting controversy?

Or to put more generally, what is the point of being an admin (forgetting about the "just some tools" argument which it clearly is not)?

The point for me where she's concerned is that she's good, particularly with BLPs etc nowadays, but in general now her judgment is good. She sort of mediates or speaks out bout things and is good at articulating her position. If she was given more authority she could do this even more- regaining the bit of status she once had, but with her current stance/demeanor, she could have more influence on policy, precedent and the direction taken by WP. She might even and probably would, encourage deletion of a greater number of BLPs.

But I suppose she already acts in this capacity- she'd just have a bit more leverage and her arguments perhaps be given a bit more weight.

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Fri 24th October 2008, 9:02am) *

Wikipedia adminship is for just about everyone about status and influence. Pretenses aside, the question is if someone deserves a promotion to a status of influence in the project.

I don't know if I'd like to say for almost everyone it's about status, but it would be mainly about the influence she could have on the tone of WP as she is now, as you say.
+Quote Post
SirFozzie

Ãœber Member

I honestly don't think if I offered to nominate her (and the thought has crossed my mind in the past), she'd accept. She is having fun building featured picture/sound candidates.. Every time we chat, she's showing my a new featured item candidate she's working on. I think she would be a GOOD admin again, but I have serious doubts that she would put herself through that again. Maybe next time we talk, I should ask....
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 24th October 2008, 10:19am) *

I honestly don't think if I offered to nominate her (and the thought has crossed my mind in the past), she'd accept. She is having fun building featured picture/sound candidates.. Every time we chat, she's showing my a new featured item candidate she's working on. I think she would be a GOOD admin again, but I have serious doubts that she would put herself through that again. Maybe next time we talk, I should ask....

Well, to ask you the question, given the potential for grief, why would you want to give that to someone whom* you respect.

*Things I do to keep members happy.
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

I just asked her and she said she's not sure about the unfairness of some's words being valued more than others by virtue of their status, and whether she wants to buy into it or something like that (I've been up all night lol- estate agen't flat inspection was at dawn (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) )

Maybe she'll change her mind- I don't know if Sirfoz is right about what her experience at RfA would be like. I hope not as I think she's earned it again a little bit:)
+Quote Post
Crestatus

She's had very questionable judgment in the past; I'd have to vote against her.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 24th October 2008, 9:19am) *

I'm not sure if you'd be the best nominator anyhow. "Oppose. WR nominator prima facie evidence of hating Wikipedia."

But if she was nominated, I would support her.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:A...strators#Durova
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(Giggy @ Sat 25th October 2008, 1:16am) *

Lol she didn't mention that. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Great minds think alike or something (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Yes she is doing fantastic work, but I prefer her as a non admin than as an admin.

On the other hand I am spiralling to inactivity on WP so don't really care.

This post has been edited by Viridae:
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Tough call! This is one of those questions that make me glad I don't have a Wikipedia user account...

I'll just say this, though. If we're trying to predict Durova's future behavioral predilections, you have to ask if the clear signs of egotism and arrogance she showed a year or so ago were integral characteristics, or merely a facade. If they were a facade, there's a good chance the facade has been weakened, though I don't believe anyone could say that it "crumbled" or "fell" as a result of those shenanigans. Still, someone with insecurity/inferiority problems who has had their ego facade weakened by a past mistake isn't likely to repeat that mistake, at least not deliberately, much less recklessly.

But if it's an integral characteristic, or perhaps an aspect of a larger problem with narcissism and/or incipient megalomania, then there's a pretty good chance that she'll just pick up where she left off once her privileges are restored - in fact, she'll see that as vindication, proving that she'd been right (about whatever-the-hell it was) all along.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say it's probably the first thing, and that it's reasonably safe to make her an admin now, even if it wasn't originally. Just don't make her a CheckUser or anything like that, of course - I may be gullible, but I'm not that gullible! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dizzy.gif)

I should once again point out that I'm not a professional therapist, and I don't even have a degree in Psychology. In fact, I haven't even played such a person on TV. (Yet!)
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Absolutely no question about it, she deserves another shot and I don't believe she'd ever make another mistake of the kind that caused such a furor last year.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

Durova could win, but only if she submits to recall and the recall criteria and process is clear to all.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Come to think of it though, she never really did retract that nasty statement she made about Greg Kohs, did she? Even long after the one journalist (as opposed to "journalists") pointed out that he didn't give a hoot as to what Kohs's current account status was at the time.

That might be a factor - persistent refusal to refrain from persisting, etc., etc. "Abuse uncorrected is abuse continued," as they say. (Well, as Jon Awbrey says, anyway!)
+Quote Post
Count DeMonet

Upper Gallery peanut sniper

Member No.: 5,314

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 25th October 2008, 4:13am) *

I'll just say this, though. If we're trying to predict Durova's future behavioral predilections, you have to ask if the clear signs of egotism and arrogance she showed a year or so ago were integral characteristics, or merely a facade.

One thing I will say in Durova's favor is, she does at least seem to have an interest in churning out a good encyclopedia which is more than I could say for some. I'd be inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt on that alone.

My one reservation is, I kinda got from the whole sooper-sekrit sleuthing leaked emails thing that prior to it all going tits up on her, she did seem to having just a little bit too much fun playing Velma to Slim's Scooby Doo. I wonder if it's a case of once bitten twice shy, or if she'd just slide back into that role more covertly this time. Lesson learned or fatal character flaw?, thats the ¢24 question.
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

She has shown that all she wanted to do is harass certain wikipedians and exploit non wikipedians. Those the vote for her obviously turn a blind eye about it. It has been shown here how far she will go to publicly humiliate people and cause damage. I left her alone to edit, but she couldn't leave me alone and she had to make things worse.

No SirFozzie, I wont respond to another thread you start in the tar pit because we know well enough you did that last time just to hide your bad mouth.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

I have offered to co-nom (note, not nominate) her if she ever considered running again. It should be somewhere on her talkpage, about 3 months ago or so. I think she would be a good admin this time around, cos she got so severely burned when "sekkrit sleuthing" last time. Technically she always was excellent - it was just her passions that lead her astray.
+Quote Post
georgeieboy

Neophyte

looks like feeling the temperature to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Synergy/Durova

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)