FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Slim ownership of WP:V -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Slim ownership of WP:V
papaya

Group: Contributors

After a loooong, drawn out compromise session, Blueboar comes up with a new formula to blunt the "not truth" dumb line, so when the discussion dies down and someone moves to close the discussion a few days early, SV seizes the opportunity to turn the whole thing on its head and attempt to force the whole process to start over.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
communicat

Member No.: 61,155

Spare me such mumbo-jumbo. Both the wave and the particle theories are wrong. The prescription that accords with the data is that of the waveparticle. An appropriate encyclopedic approach would be to exclude the views of both the wave-ists and the particle-ists and not accommodate incorrectness.

Actually, the correct term is "wave–particle duality", (which is also linked to the Uncertainty Principle), As I said, it gets complicated; but the basic analogy holds true with regard to NPOV -- the operative words being "duality" and "uncertainty". Too many wikipedians are all too certain they are absolutely right and they will accommodate no alternative view; which would of necessity mean having to learn to live with uncertainty if content is to be truly encyclopedia. But I can see no useful purpose in being drawn into a tedious argument with contributor "iii" who's already started using derogatory words like "mumbo jumbo" to show how certain he/she is of his/her own position (which incidentally is not an entirely correct position, nor is it all-encompassing).
+Quote Post
iii

QUOTE(communicat @ Sat 5th November 2011, 6:44pm) *

Actually, the correct term is "wave–particle duality", (which is also linked to the Uncertainty Principle), As I said, it gets complicated; but the basic analogy holds true with regard to NPOV -- the operative words being "duality" and "uncertainty". Too many wikipedians are all too certain they are absolutely right and they will accommodate no alternative view; which would of necessity mean having to learn to live with uncertainty if content is to be truly encyclopedia. But I can see no useful purpose in being drawn into a tedious argument with contributor "iii" who's already started using derogatory words like "mumbo jumbo" to show how certain he/she is of his/her own position (which incidentally is not an entirely correct position, nor is it all-encompassing).

Mmhmm. I'd wager my hat that you can't provide to us a single solution to the Dirac or Schrödinger Equations. Yes, you are the expert in quantum mechanics, clearly. Great to know that you're one of the brilliant minds involved in writing the internet's most popular encyclopedia.
+Quote Post
communicat

Member No.: 61,155

QUOTE(iii @ Sun 6th November 2011, 1:19am) *

QUOTE(communicat @ Sat 5th November 2011, 6:44pm) *

Mmhmm. I'd wager my hat that you can't provide to us a single solution to the Dirac or Schrödinger Equations. Yes, you are the expert in quantum mechanics, clearly. Great to know that you're one of the brilliant minds involved in writing the internet's most popular encyclopedia.

No, I'm not an expert in quantum mechanics, but I do understand the basics; nor am I involved in writing WP. I'm simply proposing a useful analogy borrowed from physics, in the probably futile hope that someone in any position of authority at WP might be encouraged to start implementing the spirit and letter of existing NPOV rules. Perhaps that "someone" might even be you, in which case the very best of luck to you. You'll need it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wave.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
papaya   Slim ownership of WP:V  
jd turk   After a loooong, drawn out compromise session, Bl...  
Sololol   Blueboar's suggestion is perfectly reasonable....  
-DS-   Unsurprisingly, there are many of the usual names ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Unsurprisingly, there are many of the usual names...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Will Beback says "The point is that we may ad...  
HRIP7   Will Beback says "The point is that we may a...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I might go a step further and say that it's a ...  
papaya   I might go a step further and say that it's a...  
Abd   This gets involved. If you find it objectionable t...  
Abd   Ah, the usual idiots. Wikipedia:Articles for delet...  
Abd   OMG, Hipocrite showed up in the AfD for Energy Cat...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I have a fun suggestion for somebody that has a Wi...  
that one guy   What really pissed me off is that Slim basically f...  
dogbiscuit   What really pissed me off is that Slim basically ...  
Detective   I'm not one to give WP the benefit of the doub...  
communicat   I'm not one to give WP the benefit of the dou...  
It's the blimp, Frank   It's the "human factor" that's ...  
communicat   It's the "human factor" that's...  
It's the blimp, Frank   [quote name='It's the blimp, Frank' post='287...  
communicat   [quote name='It's the blimp, Frank' post='28...  
Abd   allow me to say WP's NPOV rules are lucid and ...  
iii   If an editor can find genuinely good sources sayi...  
Detective   If an editor can find genuinely good sources say...  
communicat   [quote name='iii' post='287756' date='Fri 4th Nov...  
It's the blimp, Frank   advocacy group sources are banned Is that really ...  
communicat   [quote name='communicat' post='287844' date='Sat ...  
iii   Precisely; but it gets worse. Flagrant disregard ...  
It's the blimp, Frank   It seems that Wikipedians routinely confuse ...  
that one guy   Everyone seems to forget ArbCom's twin sister,...  
communicat   Everyone seems to forget ArbCom's twin sister...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)