FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Rootology retires -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rootology retires
Nerd

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 11,945

Complete with dull essay on why Wikipedia is apparently broken and failing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

There is a forum here called "Editors", you know.
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:23am) *

As Rootology is an admin who retired, I figured I'd use the most appropriate forum this time. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 14th July 2009, 9:23pm) *
This is in the "Admin retirements" forum, where it belongs. Not sure why that forum's in "Bureaucracy", rather than "Editors", mind you.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Who the f**k cares? The guy was a clown and this essay shows that he needs to spend more time engaging in reality.
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:33am) *

Who the f**k cares? The guy was a clown and this essay shows that he needs to spend more time engaging in reality.

I care! Rootology brought a lot to Wikipedia and his depature is detrimental to its future success.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 14th July 2009, 6:59pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 15th July 2009, 1:33am) *

I care! Rootology brought a lot to Wikipedia and his depature is detrimental to its future success.

Nothing wrong with Root that being away from Wikipedia won't cure. I wish him well.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 14th July 2009, 8:59pm) *

I care!

You are a sweet person. No sarcasm intended -- that statement was sincere and I respect you for it.

QUOTE(Nerd @ Tue 14th July 2009, 8:59pm) *

Rootology brought a lot to Wikipedia and his depature is detrimental to its future success.

Now I can revert to being the horse from hell -- no single person or equine is indispensable to Wikipedia's success. Although losing eye candy like Lara or Steve Smith would make things a lot less entertaining. However, Wikipedia will stagger and sputter without Root, just as it did while he was with us.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

He actually isn't a bad guy--he always seemed levelheaded, and never caused
oceans of tedious and embarrassing dramah, unlike some other hardcore admins.

That's how it works. The crazies force out the decent people, then the whole damn
thing falls apart when the crazies take over (and inevitably fight among themselves).

It's just a big BBS. With money and fame. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

I dunno about the "always levelheaded" nonsense -- you should see the curious email he sent me back in January when he was up for adminship. I though the whole situation then was a little weird.

That said, I'm glad to see that he seems to have rejected the Wikicult's teachings this time around; perhaps he'll learn to stay away for good this time.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Nerd @ Wed 15th July 2009, 12:21am) *

Complete with dull essay on why Wikipedia is apparently broken and failing.

He's still an admin, and he uses "we" too often in his essay for me to consider him a former wikipedian. He'll be back, just like Giano.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 14th July 2009, 11:03pm) *
He's still an admin, and he uses "we" too often in his essay for me to consider him a former wikipedian. He'll be back, just like Giano.
Without commenting on the merits of your prediction, the reason he uses "we" in the essay is because he wrote it before deciding to quit.
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

Whats he doing on Commons? Hes an admin there but has made no edits in months.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:...tions/Rootology
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(sbrown @ Wed 15th July 2009, 2:47am) *

What's he doing? I think you just answered your own question: Nothing.
+Quote Post
jayvdb

Member No.: 1,039

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 15th July 2009, 6:53am) *

QUOTE(sbrown @ Wed 15th July 2009, 2:47am) *

What's he doing? I think you just answered your own question: Nothing.

And "nothing" is acceptable according to the Commons inactivity process.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

It's a good and thoughtful essay. It would be worthwhile if many more seasoned Wikipedians engaged in such reflective thinking and review.

It's unlikely that Wikipedia will right itself and evolve to a functional 21st Century governance structure, but one by one, disillusioned Wikipedians can individually learn and explain in their own words why Wikipedia operates under an ill-conceived, tragically failed and unsustainable model.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Although Rootology has retired, he gets to keep the honorary title of "founding member" of the Advisory Council. I seem to recall that his short-lived Advisory Council work mainly involved slagging off people like me, arguing that we were only opposed to the Council because we had been sanctioned in the past, and telling us that we were all doomed unless we accepted the ArbCom's edicts--so of course it's important to recognize his contributions to setting the tone and style of this new body's work! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 15th July 2009, 10:57am) *

Although Rootology has retired, he gets to keep the honorary title of "founding member" of the Advisory Council. I seem to recall that his short-lived Advisory Council work mainly involved slagging off people like me, arguing that we were only opposed to the Council because we had been sanctioned in the past, and telling us that we were all doomed unless we accepted the ArbCom's edicts--so of course it's important to recognize his contributions to setting the tone and style of this new body's work! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

You can be kind of vindictive, can't you?
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 15th July 2009, 12:57pm) *

You just get more and more annoying. Go expand Ashlee Simpson. Take her back to FA... doesn't she deseve it? If you really loved her, you'd care enough to make it happen.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 15th July 2009, 6:29pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 15th July 2009, 12:57pm) *

You just get more and more annoying. Go expand Ashlee Simpson. Take her back to FA... doesn't she deseve it? If you really loved her, you'd care enough to make it happen.

Are you officially advising me in your capacity as a member of the Advisory Council? If so, do you mind if I reciprocate with some advice of my own? It will have to be unofficial advice, because I don't have a title, but I think it's pretty good advice anyway. I think you should go write some content--you pick the article. I looked through your last 100 contributions and only found one article edit, and that one was to nominate an article for deletion. Are you sure your advice is going to be well-grounded if you aren't out there actively editing articles? I don't want the ArbCom to be getting bad advice, you know! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)