FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Forum Objectives : The Long View -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Forum Objectives : The Long View
Rating  2
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors

I'm setting aside this space to write out some objectives that I hope a few folks will join in furthering.

But it's Saturday Night, and it may be Monday Morning before I can get organized.

Jon Awbrey

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

It is clear that Wikipedia is stuck in the rut of every other feedback-intolerant belief system that I've ever had the bad luck to encounter in the past, and I don't see anything novel or surprising — much less anything of significance to be learned — from watching yet another slow-motion brain wreck like that. The future of collaborative inquiry, on the Web or anywhere, is still a subject worth thinking about, but I don't see Wikipedia being anything but an obstacle to that.

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Tue 7th July 2009, 10:52pm) *

It is clear that Wikipedia is stuck in the rut of every other feedback-intolerant belief system that I've ever had the bad luck to encounter in the past, and I don't see anything novel or surprising — much less anything of significance to be learned — from watching yet another slow-motion brain wreck like that. The future of collaborative inquiry, on the Web or anywhere, is still a subject worth thinking about, but I don't see Wikipedia being anything but an obstacle to that.

Jon Awbrey

Hey and it only took you 10,000 posts.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 8th July 2009, 11:04pm) *

Now, don't be so sarcastic. For one thing, it was more like 8,500 posts, and I suspect he knew it all along, but didn't want to seem overly didactic, much less needlessly dismissive.

You, on the other hand... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

Considering what the thread title (currently) is, "Forum Objectives: The Long View," I suspect Mr. Awbrey here is trying to suggest in a somewhat subtle way that WR, and perhaps this subforum specifically, should be more focused on alternatives to Wikipedia and how such alternatives should be constructed and promoted, as opposed to trying to save something that's irredeemable, despite still being popular with the Google-fed masses.

Then again, I've misread him before, I suppose.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 9th July 2009, 12:12am) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 8th July 2009, 11:04pm) *

Now, don't be so sarcastic. For one thing, it was more like 8,500 posts, and I suspect he knew it all along, but didn't want to seem overly didactic, much less needlessly dismissive.

You, on the other hand… (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

Considering what the thread title (currently) is, "Forum Objectives: The Long View," I suspect Mr. Awbrey here is trying to suggest in a somewhat subtle way that WR, and perhaps this subforum specifically, should be more focused on alternatives to Wikipedia and how such alternatives should be constructed and promoted, as opposed to trying to save something that's irredeemable, despite still being popular with the Google-fed masses.

Then again, I've misread him before, I suppose.

Mostly I'm just coming up on my 3rd anniversary here, and that leads to retro-intro-spection on what I'm doing here and what it might be worth doing here in the future, if anything.

Wikipedia its ownself is not really an interesting subject anymore — to me or any of the relatively normal people I know in real life — and listening to the Coterie Of Dope Opera Fans that hang out here is far less amusing than it used to be.

There are some issues about the future of collaborative inquiry that are still worth pursuing, but trying to develop a dialogue about that here is like the proverbial roller-skating in a buffalo herd, so maybe this won't be the place for it.

So I'll just continue to continue mulling it over fora while longer …

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)