FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
2011 WMF board candidacy criteria -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2011 WMF board candidacy criteria
thekohser

Group: Regulars

The weasels at the Wikimedia Foundation have narrowed the doorway to the club even more than in 2009. Now...

The eligibility requirements for candidates are the same as for voters...

Voters' user account must "not be blocked on more than one project", and the user account must:
  • have made at least 300 edits before 15 April 2011 across Wikimedia wikis (edits on several wikis can be combined if your accounts are unified into a global account); and
  • have made at least 20 edits between 15 November 2010 and 15 May 2011.

This might be a job for MZMcBride, but is there some way to count how many Wikimedia user accounts would satisfy these requirements? Whatever that number is, we could probably reduce it by 10 percent, to account for the fact that some users will be sockpuppets of the same human being.

Unfortunately, because I am blocked on about 4% of the Wikimedia Foundation's active wiki projects, I am not eligible to run for the 2011 election of trustees. I was going to run on a very simple platform of fiscal responsibility that I think would have been very attractive to a good portion of voters.

Anyway... there are probably about 4.9 billion adults on Earth. How many of them do you think qualify to stand for election to the Wikimedia Foundation board? Is it safe to say that the Wikimedia Foundation's public election of trustees -- as a prerequisite -- excludes more than 99.9% of the globe's adult population?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Adrignola

Group: Contributors

Since it's a community election I imagine people would want to elect from the community. There's enough people on the appointed portion of the board that come from outside.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

You watch. As time goes on, the "requirements" for WMF directors will get more and more bureaucratic,
obscure, and byzantine. And more and more likely to select someone that Jimbo and Sue know and like.

Even corporations don't do this to their boards of directors. Usually, all you need is to be a "notable"
person who brings prestige or political clout. Remember that O.J. Simpson was once on the
board of Infinity Broadcasting. (Until something bad happened to his wife, of course.)

Wikipedia is now like Citibank or Morgan Stanley.
"Too big to fail". Ha ha.
It'll just switch to selling subprime encyclopedia loans.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Sololol

Bell the Cat

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 5th May 2011, 9:18pm) *

You watch. As time goes on, the "requirements" for WMF directors will get more and more bureaucratic,
obscure, and byzantine. And more and more likely to select someone that Jimbo and Sue know and like.

Even corporations don't do this to their boards of directors. Usually, all you need is to be a "notable"
person who brings prestige or political clout. Remember that O.J. Simpson was once on the
board of Infinity Broadcasting.

Or how Jimbo Wales is on the board of MIT's Center for Collective Intelligence and was co-chair for the World Economic Forum on the Middle East (a Japanese PM, the Duke of York and ... Jimbo?).

But let's look on the bright side here: think of all the hilariously maladjusted people who can still run. Only banned from one Wikipedia project? I'll get in touch with Runtshit and see if he's interested. Perhaps that Poetlister fellow.

In the mean time, we need to find the single craziest candidate from the current list, in case our darkhorse is a no-show. These people look relatively sane so far (other than actually volunteering to be on the board) but I'm sure someone can dig up the backstories.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Adrignola @ Thu 5th May 2011, 5:20pm) *

Since it's a community election I imagine people would want to elect from the community. There's enough people on the appointed portion of the board that come from outside.

Yes, there's no reason to cater to the readers (viewers) of Wikipedia... make it serve the referees of the game and the owners of the stadium.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 5th May 2011, 11:38am) *

This might be a job for MZMcBride...

Really, would you want that guy on your payroll? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
sjk

Neophyte

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,900

Actually, the voting and candidacy requirements were significantly lowered this year.

2011 requirements:
at least 300 edits before 15 April 2011 & 20 edits b/t 15 November 2010 and 15 May 2011.

2009 requirements were more than twice as stringent:
at least 600 edits before 01 June 2009 & 50 edits b/t 01 January and 01 July 2009.

Roughly 3x as many people are eligible to candidate and vote in this election. Allowance was also made for mediawiki developers.

You watch. As time goes on, the "requirements" for WMF directors will get more and more bureaucratic, obscure, and byzantine.

Eric - Hopefully not. If anything, the participation discussion this year was about ways to further expand suffrage.

Even corporations don't do this to their boards of directors. Usually, all you need is to be a "notable" person who brings prestige or political clout.

In Wikimedia's case, general notability, prestige, political clout, &c may make someone suitable as an appointed trustee - the selection process for the four appointed trustees is similar to that which most corporations use to choose their entire boards. However the bylaws require that appointed trustees make up a minority of the board.

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(sjk @ Mon 9th May 2011, 1:02am) *
In Wikimedia's case, general notability, prestige, political clout, &c may make someone suitable as an appointed trustee - the selection process for the four appointed trustees is similar to that which most corporations use to choose their entire boards. However the bylaws require that appointed trustees make up a minority of the board.
It's interesting to me that Wikimedia governance more closely resembles that of a for-profit corporation rather than that of a non-profit. I used to work for a fairly large non-profit. We were governed by a Board of Delegates, some 400 delegates elected by the several subordinate member organizations. Every member of the Board of Delegates was elected, directly or indirectly, by some portion of the membership of the broader organization. The Board of Delegates, in congress assembled at the annual meeting, elects the corporation's officers and the executive committee, and determines the broad direction and policies that govern the organization. Ultimate authority for the organization lies with the Board of Delegates; the executive committee, the president, and the chief operating officer (appointed by the executive committee) make day to day decisions subject to the ratification of the delegates. Unlike Wikimedia, the decisions of the Board of Delegates may not be overridden or ignored by the executive committee; they are binding on the organization. The membership takes the election of delegates very seriously.

How much does this sound like Wikimedia?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(sjk @ Mon 9th May 2011, 2:02am) *

Actually, the voting and candidacy requirements were significantly lowered this year.

2011 requirements:
at least 300 edits before 15 April 2011 & 20 edits b/t 15 November 2010 and 15 May 2011.

2009 requirements were more than twice as stringent:
at least 600 edits before 01 June 2009 & 50 edits b/t 01 January and 01 July 2009.

Roughly 3x as many people are eligible to candidate and vote in this election. Allowance was also made for mediawiki developers.

Where do you get your "roughly 3x" figure? Do you have actual numbers that you could share? How many of the hundreds of millions of users of the Wikimedia sites have a vote in the election?

I also notice how you conveniently ignore the fact that 2009 saw no stipulation that voters or candidates "not be blocked on multiple projects". In the past, if you were in good standing and active on one Wikimedia wiki, you could be eligible to vote and to run. Now, if you've soured the graces of just a single admin who's active on two wikis where you're active, you may not vote, and you may not run.

This doesn't sound like a "lowered" set of requirements.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 9th May 2011, 8:34am) *
Now, if you've soured the graces of just a single admin who's active on two wikis where you're active, you may not vote, and you may not run.
All part and parcel of "repel[ling] trolls and stalkers".
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

The weasels at the Wikimedia Foundation have narrowed the doorway to the club even more than in 2009. Now...
The eligibility requirements for candidates are the same as for voters...

Voters' user account must "not be blocked on more than one project", and the user account must:
  • have made at least 300 edits before 15 April 2011 across Wikimedia wikis (edits on several wikis can be combined if your accounts are unified into a global account); and
  • have made at least 20 edits between 15 November 2010 and 15 May 2011.
This might be a job for MZMcBride, but is there some way to count how many Wikimedia user accounts would satisfy these requirements? Whatever that number is, we could probably reduce it by 10 percent, to account for the fact that some users will be sockpuppets of the same human being.
It'd be a pretty big pain in the ass to find every eligible voter/candidate, I think. It'd require pretty much checking every single user individually using several queries per user per wiki. It's infinitely easier to simply check the people who actually step forward for eligibility, though a rough number would be nice. Perhaps getting a list of the aggregate counts per wiki of users with more than 300 edits would give a decent guesstimate.

Anyway... there are probably about 4.9 billion adults on Earth. How many of them do you think qualify to stand for election to the Wikimedia Foundation board? Is it safe to say that the Wikimedia Foundation's public election of trustees -- as a prerequisite -- excludes more than 99.9% of the globe's adult population?
It'll be a small percent out of every registered user on Wikimedia wikis, much less out of 4.9 billion people. Three hundred edits is not inconsequential. For a certain percentage of users, that's fairly easy with some scripts/tools/bots/whatever. But for most users, they'll never come close to 300 edits. On the English Wikipedia, there are approximately 65,085 users with more than 300 edits out of approximately 14,535,512 registered users, for what it's worth.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Mon 9th May 2011, 6:45pm) *

On the English Wikipedia, there are approximately 65,085 users with more than 300 edits out of approximately 14,535,512 registered users, for what it's worth.

That's the gold I'm looking for. Thanks, MZ.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Mon 9th May 2011, 3:45pm) *
It'll be a small percent out of every registered user on Wikimedia wikis, much less out of 4.9 billion people. Three hundred edits is not inconsequential. For a certain percentage of users, that's fairly easy with some scripts/tools/bots/whatever. But for most users, they'll never come close to 300 edits. On the English Wikipedia, there are approximately 65,085 users with more than 300 edits out of approximately 14,535,512 registered users, for what it's worth.

I rest my case.

They don't want their actual users to vote for the Board--the great proportion of Internet users who want to simply look up facts on Wikipedia.
They want a private man-boy's club. Where only obsessed fanatics and camp followers are allowed to vote. Curse the rabble.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 10th May 2011, 12:54am) *

I rest my case.

They don't want their actual users to vote for the Board--the great proportion of Internet users who want to simply look up facts on Wikipedia.
They want a private man-boy's club. Where only obsessed fanatics and camp followers are allowed to vote. Curse the rabble.

It doesn't help when the Board puts out a survey to determine what the "average Wikipedian" wants or needs and they either throw out or marginalize the negative, but honest, criticism the survey takers give them. It's rude and downright despicable. I still remember doing a survey years ago only for Gmaxwell to say that they threw out the "overly negative" responses. I did their latest survey too, though I doubt they'll take my or any other "lowly" editor's advice. All they want is an echo chamber and a The Get Along Gang (T-H-L-K-D)-style environment. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

On the English Wikipedia, there are approximately 65,085 users with more than 300 edits…

So perhaps 6,500 distinct non-banned adults at best?
+Quote Post
thekohser

Now look what we've done... the mainstream media has noticed how the Wikimedia Foundation only wants one-half of 1% of their editor community to have a say in governance.
+Quote Post
melloden

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 20th May 2011, 3:22pm) *

Now look what we've done... the mainstream media has noticed how the Wikimedia Foundation only wants one-half of 1% of their editor community to have a say in governance.

The Examiner is not MSM, regardless of how much time you spend writing for it. Hell, they accepted me and I plagiarized my writing sample. I declined of course, because it's not really a respectable media outlet.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(melloden @ Sat 21st May 2011, 11:35am) *

The Examiner is not MSM, regardless of how much time you spend writing for it. Hell, they accepted me and I plagiarized my writing sample. I declined of course, because it's not really a respectable media outlet.

And the New York Times paid Jayson Blair for his content, too. So? It's mainstream media, chump.
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 20th May 2011, 4:22pm) *

Ah yes, the ever-reliable, unbiased Gregory Kohs. Mainstream indeed!
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Theanima @ Sat 21st May 2011, 5:43pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 20th May 2011, 4:22pm) *

Ah yes, the ever-reliable, unbiased Gregory Kohs. Mainstream indeed!

Look, Mike... the world's greatest encyclopedia defines "Mainstream media (MSM) are those media disseminated via the largest distribution channels".

Examiner.com gets more eyeballs online than The Guardian, the New York Post, National Geographic, Fox News, the Financial Times, and Globe and Mail.

I'm sorry if that makes you cry. I wonder how much worse you'd feel if you saw the size of my paycheck from Examiner this month, all for writing one story that took me about 25 minutes to put together, thanks to an outside tipster.

Mainstream media, indeed-el-dee-doo!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)