FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
ArbCom election 2012 -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ArbCom election 2012
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 24,428

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arb...2012/Candidates

The nomination process has begun.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Sun 11th November 2012, 8:02am) *

I still don't think you have a chance to get elected, but if you do can you let me back in? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Shalom

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 11th November 2012, 11:01am) *

I still don't think you have a chance to get elected, but if you do can you let me back in? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Jeffrey Peters, you are a moron. Just ask for the Standard Offer.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Perhaps you're joking, but I don't understand the context of your joke's first portion. I've never tried to become an Arbitrator, and I don't plan on ever trying to become one. I'm also banned from enwiki.

This post has been edited by Michaeldsuarez:
+Quote Post
Shalom

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Shalom @ Sun 11th November 2012, 2:04pm) *

Jeffrey Peters, you are a moron. Just ask for the Standard Offer.

Or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=..._by_Ottava_Rima But time has passed so you may get another chance from Arbcom.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Shalom @ Sun 11th November 2012, 2:04pm) *

Just ask for the Standard Offer.

You obviously haven't bothered to follow my case at all.

Asking for the standard offer is what caused them to change my block from 1 year to indefinite. They were supposed to come up with terms of "probation" after 6 months and the terms they came up with was "never allowed to ever edit again." It only gets worse and worse witht he new set of Arbs as many of them are more problematic then the previous group.

Michael

Perhaps you're joking

Only a perhaps? Gesh. You obsess over all things ArbCom related. Of course it is a joke. >.<

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Here, Michael, I will salvage your thread by making it interesting.

How about someone ask the following question: Do you believe the Ottava Rima case was handled appropriately to begin with, after the one year mark, and currently? Do you think the approach by the ArbCom vs the approach by the Community is related to the current problems Wikipedia has in attracting high quality content editors compared to those with a history of trouble and without the same level of content that was kept because of factional reasons?
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 11th November 2012, 11:30pm) *

Here, Michael, I will salvage your thread by making it interesting.

How about someone ask the following question: Do you believe the Ottava Rima case was handled appropriately to begin with, after the one year mark, and currently? Do you think the approach by the ArbCom vs the approach by the Community is related to the current problems Wikipedia has in attracting high quality content editors compared to those with a history of trouble and without the same level of content that was kept because of factional reasons?

Wikipedia's founding community created a techno-anarchist, ultra-libertarian, ultra-egalitarian, quasi-communist, and anti-intellectual society. It's a strange place for academics and writers used to a more structured academic and professional environment. The dispute resolution process (of which Arbcom is a part) is not to solve the underlying cultural, moral, and philosophical problems that plague the project. Their purpose is to stop "disorder," i.e., anyone that causes people to be upset. If you, Malleus, Giano, or anyone else cause "problems" by pointing out issues and upsetting people, the goal of the community will be to get rid of you as a troublemaker and ignore the deeper issues.

I studied a major textile labor strike while in college. It amazed me how the media, the textile owners, and the local government never thought to research or investigate the reasons for the workers striking. They just assumed they were indoctrinated by "foreign agitators," Yankees, and communists. The workers were causing "disorder" and had to be crushed. I'm not comparing all the arbitrators, administrators, and other bigwigs on Wikipedia as being "strike breakers," but they are a part of system that punishes those that do not fit in with Wikipedia's culture, even if those "troublemakers" are right.

It's a sad story that has been and continues to be told. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif)

I guess that means Ottava is like Eugene V. Debs (T-H-L-K-D)? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 14th November 2012, 9:31pm) *

Wikipedia's founding community created a techno-anarchist

I do like that term a lot. I always have. It has a really interesting image behind it, especially when you apply it to a sci-fi type atmosphere. In basics, a technocratic society should be rather like Confuscianism with those who work hard getting to the top. However, I like the idea of turning them into mindless robots (the sci-fi part) and then having them the anarchic rebels of that world - the mindless robots bent on spreading chaos, disorder, and the such.

It does fit way too well to many on Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

The nomination process has ended.

The incumbents David Fuchs, Elen of the Roads, Jclemens, and Newyorkbrad are seeking new terms. Casliber, PhilKnight, SirFozzie, and Xeno aren't seeking reelection.

Former Arbitrators Carcharoth and Coren are seeking to return to ArbCom.

The non-sysops running in this year's election are Count Iblis, Pgallert, and YOLO Swag. All other candidates have the powers and responsibilities of sysops.

The candidates that I haven't named yet are Beeblebrox, Guerillero, Jc37, Keilana, Ks0stm, Kww, NuclearWarfare, RegentsPark, Richwales, Salvio giuliano, Timotheus Canens, and Worm That Turned.

Feel free to share your feelings on these candidates.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Wed 21st November 2012, 10:07am) *

The nomination process has ended.

The incumbents David Fuchs, Elen of the Roads, Jclemens, and Newyorkbrad are seeking new terms. Casliber, PhilKnight, SirFozzie, and Xeno aren't seeking reelection.

Former Arbitrators Carcharoth and Coren are seeking to return to ArbCom.

The non-sysops running in this year's election are Count Iblis, Pgallert, and YOLO Swag. All other candidates have the powers and responsibilities of sysops.

The candidates that I haven't named yet are Beeblebrox, Guerillero, Jc37, Keilana, Ks0stm, Kww, NuclearWarfare, RegentsPark, Richwales, Salvio giuliano, Timotheus Canens, and Worm That Turned.

Feel free to share your feelings on these candidates.

In order of people who should be there (I'll do a top 6).

1. Casliber
2. David Fuchs
3. NuclearWarfare
4. Elen of the Roads
5. Xeno
6. No one (there are too many now anyway).
+Quote Post
Retrospect

Londoner born and bred

Member No.: 71,989

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 21st November 2012, 3:33pm) *

1. Casliber
2. David Fuchs
3. NuclearWarfare
4. Elen of the Roads
5. Xeno

Xeno isn't standing, fuckwit.
+Quote Post
opinionated spectator

I am leaning toward just voting for Worm That Turned and Newyorkbrad but IMHO the ArbCom Reform Party platform has promise. Some of you may recall YOLO Swag (fmrly NWA.Rep) ran last year. He was bullied and subsequently quit the project.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Retrospect @ Wed 21st November 2012, 2:37pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 21st November 2012, 3:33pm) *

1. Casliber
2. David Fuchs
3. NuclearWarfare
4. Elen of the Roads
5. Xeno

Xeno isn't standing, fuckwit.

I said should be there. Can't you read? It had nothing to do with who I would vote for. Casliber isn't standing for re-election either. It doesn't mean he doesn't belong there.

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(opinionated spectator @ Wed 21st November 2012, 3:07pm) *

I am leaning toward just voting for Worm That Turned and Newyorkbrad but IMHO the ArbCom Reform Party platform has promise. Some of you may recall YOLO Swag (fmrly NWA.Rep) ran last year. He was bullied and subsequently quit the project.

How many heated situations has YOLO Swag defused? I didn't like the way the Wikipedians were treating YOLO Swag last year:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=290396

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=290721

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=292787

But I don't believe that YOLO Swag would make a good Arbitrator for reasons that should be obvious. For starters, he or she doesn't handle pressure well.

The mere fact that the other ArbCom Reform party candidate Count Iblis is encouraging people to vote for YOLO Swag shows that Count Iblis wouldn't be a good Arbitrator either. Count Iblis is asking people to vote along party lines instead of voting for the most skillful candidates. The ArbCom Reform party isn't offering any good candidates this year.

This post has been edited by Michaeldsuarez:
+Quote Post
Retrospect

Londoner born and bred

Member No.: 71,989

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 21st November 2012, 9:04pm) *

I said should be there.

Come off it! If you're listing everyone who should be there, you could do miles better. Where are Bill Clinton, Lord Woolf and Kofi Annan? Or do you really think your lot are better than these three?
+Quote Post
opinionated spectator

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Fri 23rd November 2012, 10:00pm) *

How many heated situations has YOLO Swag defused? I didn't like the way the Wikipedians were treating YOLO Swag last year:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=290396

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=290721

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=292787

But I don't believe that YOLO Swag would make a good Arbitrator for reasons that should be obvious. For starters, he or she doesn't handle pressure well.

The mere fact that the other ArbCom Reform party candidate Count Iblis is encouraging people to vote for YOLO Swag shows that Count Iblis wouldn't be a good Arbitrator either. Count Iblis is asking people to vote along party lines instead of voting for the most skillful candidates. The ArbCom Reform party isn't offering any good candidates this year.

I concur. He won't get elected, but while reading the answers of the questions he replied so far, it's surprisingly well and valid. The other red flag with the other ArbCom Reform Party candidate Count Iblis is he or she has not answered any of the questions. In fact, he has not even made one single edit since making his candidate statement.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=524986404

The voting has begun.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

IMHO the ArbCom Reform Party platform has promise.

Lol what? The "party" comprised of the "Fae is my martyred hero, and by the way why can't the Crisco article talk about fisting" Wiki-faction?

A bunch of riff-raff, nothing more.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 28th November 2012, 8:57am) *

IMHO the ArbCom Reform Party platform has promise.

Lol what? The "party" comprised of the "Fae is my martyred hero, and by the way why can't the Crisco article talk about fisting" Wiki-faction?

A bunch of riff-raff, nothing more.

Doesn't the idea of a "party" violate the canvassing rules anyway? It is rather obvious that there is a large group of people who are coordinated and working on many various issues in the same way for one political objective. Even if you say that they aren't directly coordinating, they are sure following each other and jumping in.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)