The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "pro-Israeli" canvassing ring leak (annexed), The failure of WP enforcement
Silver seren
post Sun 5th June 2011, 8:22am
Post #61

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 36,940

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(asad112 @ Sun 5th June 2011, 7:47am) *

Yeah, he did that after I and several other users started criticizing AGK for doing the 1 second block statement thing for Mbz1's block log.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Sun 5th June 2011, 3:01pm
Post #62

Member No.: 25,791

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Sun 5th June 2011, 8:22am) *

Yeah, he did that after I and several other users started criticizing AGK for doing the 1 second block statement thing for Mbz1's block log.

Not at all I gave AGK barnstar after another editor suggested giving AGK a barnstar

AGK deserves it after getting for example such demands:
"Get your priorities straight and answer me when I talk to you before you do anything else."

Oh, and BTW while we are here see how that horrible POV-pushing Mbz1, as tarc called me , and that lead of "pro-Israeli" canvassing ring , as sol called me, is saying "Thank you" to Sandstein for topic banning her, and asking for one more month of topic ban ;-)
+Quote Post
AGK
post Sun 5th June 2011, 3:16pm
Post #63

Member No.: 5,613

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

The discussion is still not resolved, but I like how you misrepresented the reality there.
+Quote Post
asad112
post Sun 5th June 2011, 4:31pm
Post #64

Neophyte

Member No.: 56,361

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Sun 5th June 2011, 6:01pm) *

Not at all I gave AGK barnstar after another editor suggested giving AGK a barnstar

"Get your priorities straight and answer me when I talk to you before you do anything else."

Oh, and BTW while we are here see how that horrible POV-pushing Mbz1, as tarc called me , and that lead of "pro-Israeli" canvassing ring , as sol called me, is saying "Thank you" to Sandstein for topic banning her, and asking for one more month of topic ban ;-)

Nothing against AGK, but he is doing his just doing his job. I don't think he is being more significantly patient than other admin would have to be after making some pretty controversial decisions in relatively quick succession.

You gave him a barnstar for being patient, but how were you expecting him to act exactly? Were you expecting him to start telling editors to screw off his talk page?
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Sun 5th June 2011, 5:24pm
Post #65

QUOTE(asad112 @ Sun 5th June 2011, 4:31pm) *

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Sun 5th June 2011, 6:01pm) *

Nothing against AGK, but he is doing his just doing his job. I don't think he is being more significantly patient than other admin would have to be after making some pretty controversial decisions in relatively quick succession.

You gave him a barnstar for being patient, but how were you expecting him to act exactly? Were you expecting him to start telling editors to screw off his talk page?

I observed many times how other administrators archived such questions with no responding to them, collapsed the threads with angry messages, or simply ignored such questions. Once an admin deleted my own question with an edit summary "tiresome".Another one deleted my message with an editot summary: "removed garbage". AGK keeps politely responding the questions, and besides as I said before, I gave AGK barnstar because I saw other editor suggested he deserves one.

This post has been edited by mbz1: Sun 5th June 2011, 5:25pm
+Quote Post
nableezy
post Sun 5th June 2011, 7:10pm
Post #66

Member No.: 11,908

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

This really belongs in the annex tho, as it has gone from one topic to another none of which belong in this sub-forum.
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Sun 5th June 2011, 7:29pm
Post #67

QUOTE(nableezy @ Sun 5th June 2011, 7:10pm) *

This really belongs in the annex tho, as it has gone from one topic to another none of which belong in this sub-forum.

Agree, moving it to annex is long overdue.
+Quote Post
nableezy
post Mon 6th June 2011, 7:36pm
Post #68

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Sun 5th June 2011, 2:29pm) *

QUOTE(nableezy @ Sun 5th June 2011, 7:10pm) *

Agree, moving it to annex is long overdue.

By agreeing that this belongs in the annex you are saying, unintentionally I assume, that this actually should be discussed on Wikipedia. I whole-heartedly agree. Where on WP should we discuss you directing "Brocollo" to make an edit at DYK (even including the signature in your email to him) shortly followed by his making that exact edit. Where on WP should we discuss you copying from an email of a banned user an argument and pasting it on to WP, not making a single modification, even down to the extra space before the last comma? Where, Mila, would you like to discuss this?
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Mon 6th June 2011, 11:51pm
Post #69

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Back to the original post (though I do enjoy these passionate, yet polite, discussions), a group of Wikipedians with a similar cause conspired together to control various articles on Wikipedia?

Why should we be surprised? This happened before with several Russian/Eastern European editors not too long ago. This kind of thing probably happens more often than anyone thinks. Honestly, there's no real way to stop it. You can't even disclose such a thing without violating Wikipedia's privacy policies. In the end, the whistleblower gets sanctioned too.
+Quote Post
The Adversary
post Tue 7th June 2011, 4:44am
Post #70

CT (Check Troll)

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 194

QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 7th June 2011, 4:04am) *

Winning an Information War on a site like Wikipedia is pretty nigh impossible. You have to have a large number of people working 24/7 365 days using different IP addresses and have an incredible amount of patience. Even if you win in the short-term by holding articles under your control, you can never let down your guard down ever as opposing or neutral editors will eventually come after those articles. If the subject or area you want to control has dozens, hundreds, or thousands of article related to it, it would take a lot of people, energy, and time to keep them under control. Even if arbitration and administrators intervene, what can they do? People will just get new IPs, new accounts, and maybe new people to carry on the war. If Wikipedia IP banned the entire Middle East from editing, proxies and activists outside the Middle East will continue the fight. All POV people can hope for is a short-term victory and prolong that victory by gaining social and technical power, but even these people get caught eventually.

I´m not sure I agree fully with you. Yeah, sure it is near impossible to police all the thousands of articles in the I/P -area, but to create a bias? Quite easy.

At the moment the I/P-area is a cesspool. Many (most?) articles are beyond salvation. (However, there are some gem-stones there, and with all the old material (read: books from 18 th & 19 cent.) coming online, lots of interesting things wrt history can be written.)

However, I am quite certain that the area, as a whole, cannot be cleaned up before some drastic measures are put in place. One "weak" version would be to only have "verified" users edit ("verified" like, say on ebay). Now notorious banned socks are wasting so much time of "regulars", wikihounding them sock after sock.

A "stronger" method would be to only have verified academics editing, though, as pointed out, that certainly will not solve all problems. But it would at least save us from endless supply of googled up garbage like this.
+Quote Post
nableezy
post Mon 13th June 2011, 2:05pm
Post #71

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Would it be possible to split off everything since Wikifan hijacked this thread into another topic? Nearly every post since the first page is about something, I cant figure out what exactly, completely unrelated to the topic of this thread. I for one am not interested in a defense of Zionism as offered by a sixteen year old.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky
post Mon 13th June 2011, 2:55pm
Post #72

Member No.: 130

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Mod's note: done. Whew, that was exhausting. It's here if anyone wants it. Obesity, sorry to muscle in on your turf.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny
post Mon 13th June 2011, 11:59pm
Post #73

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 8,272

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Mon 13th June 2011, 10:55am) *

Mod's note: done. Whew, that was exhausting. It's here if anyone wants it. Obesity, sorry to muscle in on your turf.

About fucking time! hrmph.gif
+Quote Post
Mr.Treason II
post Thu 14th July 2011, 7:34am
Post #74

Member No.: 58,445

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Tarc @ Thu 12th May 2011, 10:22pm) *

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Thu 12th May 2011, 5:02pm) *
Also there is this at ED. Is it me, or is ED new and improved?

Thankfully it was preserved before becoming an icanhascheezburger wannabe. That reminds me that I need to create a new account at some point, too.

As for the latest, one can only hope that some admins with balls will pick this up and actually do something. The CAMERA affair was cracked at AN/I,not from waiting for ArbCom to get off its ass.

QUOTE(radek @ Thu 12th May 2011, 5:14pm) *

Can someone specifically indicate though - with paraphrasing - what these "big crimes" they are supposed to be guilty off actually were?

Mbz1 creates puff-piece articles of pro-Israeli propaganda, submits them to the "Did You Know?" forum, then solicits wiki-buddies to go there and vote in favor of adding said articles to the front page. She even provides the complete "here's what you need to cut n paste" line for a positive vote. They believe all that oppose them at DYK are antisemites and look for ways to undermine their opinions.

Yes, it's a puff piece show. Puff pieces of obviouus radicalism that damages innocents should be deleted.
+Quote Post
nableezy
post Thu 14th July 2011, 7:30pm
Post #75

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Mr.Treason II @ Thu 14th July 2011, 2:34am) *

Yes, it's a puff piece show. Puff pieces of obviouus radicalism that damages innocents should be deleted.

Is there a way of forcing a different avatar be used by an account? I know at least two other people have complained about the use of The Joy's avatar being used by this account, add me to that list. Nothing personal Mr. Treason, but that pic is taken as far as I am concerned.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Thu 14th July 2011, 8:23pm
Post #76

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

QUOTE(nableezy @ Thu 14th July 2011, 3:30pm) *

Is there a way of forcing a different avatar be used by an account? I know at least two other people have complained about the use of The Joy's avatar being used by this account, add me to that list. Nothing personal Mr. Treason, but that pic is taken as far as I am concerned.

Indeed! angry.gif
+Quote Post
Mr.Treason II
post Thu 21st July 2011, 7:19am
Post #77

Member No.: 58,445

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 14th July 2011, 9:23pm) *

QUOTE(nableezy @ Thu 14th July 2011, 3:30pm) *

Indeed! angry.gif

I've changed it to wriagra as you can see.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd 8 17, 10:41pm