FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Leak Summaries -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Leak Summaries, The Choicest Cherries
Sololol

Bell the Cat

Group: Contributors

I was pondering the sage words of Roger Davies, that all of the released information is cherry-picked to show things in a certain light, and realized that he is correct! All of these leaks are selected to confirm peoples' worst fears about the arbs and Jimbo! Dear friends, WR is better than this! What we need is biased information in a digestible format. Like the Pentagon Papers or chicken entrails, these leaks require learned men (or man-children) to properly explain their significance (or lack of) to the unwashed masses. Future generations of wiki-warriors and sociopaths should not be denied the benefit of our obsessively cultivated Wiki-drama knowledge. So pick a leak you know something about. Tell us why it's interesting, what it reveals, and why that one Arb is a two-faced pawn of Jimbo who should never have banned you for putting Goatse.cx on the Queen Mother's page. Whatever. My dreadmasters at J-Street command me to take on the CAMERA leak, which I'll get to at some point.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Sololol @ Sat 16th July 2011, 5:46pm) *

I was pondering the sage words of Roger Davies, that all of the released information is cherry-picked to show things in a certain light, and realized that he is correct! All of these leaks are selected to confirm peoples' worst fears about the arbs and Jimbo! Dear friends, WR is better than this!

When did they ever make the right call on something, though? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

Actually, I vaguely recall there was one incident a couple of years ago... I forget what it was about. If I have some time tomorrow, maybe I'll try to figure that one out.
+Quote Post
Sololol

Bell the Cat

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 16th July 2011, 8:50pm) *

QUOTE(Sololol @ Sat 16th July 2011, 5:46pm) *

I was pondering the sage words of Roger Davies, that all of the released information is cherry-picked to show things in a certain light, and realized that he is correct! All of these leaks are selected to confirm peoples' worst fears about the arbs and Jimbo! Dear friends, WR is better than this!

When did they ever make the right call on something, though? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

Let's not quibble about who killed whom or if anyone made the right calls. I was being mildly sarcastic about someone calling the revelation of previeously secret information "cherry picking" when their alternative would be "have no information and like it". Perhaps I was less than clear (I blame the lovely Ardbeg 10 we'd been sampling, liquid roofing tar, try it some time). My chief interest is in encouraging people to use their knowledge to breakdown the leaked information into digestible format. The common complaint about all of this is "TL:DR", preventing the common Wiki-peasant from understanding the full impact of the revelations. And most of it is. As someone who entertains delusions of WP administrative reforms (mental health professional are already at work on the problem) I think it'd be a shame if we didn't attempt to capitalize on this opportunity by making it more user friendly.
CAMERA Banning:
In April 2008 a pro-Palestinian group revealed that CAMERA, an Israeli nationalist media watchdog group, recruited a couple dozen people to counter perceived anti-Israeli editing (just read the article). The expected fecal hurricane emerged at ANI with some of the accused calling the emails fabrications ("The (e-mail) protocols of the elder of CAMERA") or accusing EI of hacking/infiltrating the group. Some admins ban a few offenders and issue a statement.
What ARBCOM does: They take the case and, a month after the admins have finished dealing with the problem, issue a milk-water weak ruling, hilariously finding that membership in a group whose express purpose is POV canvassing/meat-puppetry is not itself a policy violation. General amnesty issued for all others involved.
Residual Questions: Why accept a high profile case only to do nothing? How did the information come out?
What the Leak reveals: The point of accepting the case wasn't to look into a POV pushing group but to prevent a witch-hunt for the remaining handful of active CAMERA members, hence the amnesty. A far more lenient stance than those adopted on the Scientology/LaRouche editors. Jayjg shows up to run interference for the group. The leak was not fabricated and came from a group member disturbed by the willingness of a professor and media professional to subvert Wikipedia's intent. Some group members are still active under the same names while the banned editors reincarnated (Zeq=SOL GOLDSTONE, Dajudem=Stellarkid) into the currently active group. So, protecting partisans with agendas is more important than protecting Wikipedia from them. Unless they are Scientologists or something.

Something like that. Now you don't have to sift through an entire thread of emails written by the social media equivalent of train spotters. Just a single post by one.

This post has been edited by Sololol:
+Quote Post
MaliceAforethought

u Mad?

Member No.: 57,801

QUOTE(Sololol @ Sun 17th July 2011, 5:48am) *

My chief interest is in encouraging people to use their knowledge to breakdown the leaked information into digestible format. The common complaint about all of this is "TL:DR", preventing the common Wiki-peasant from understanding the full impact of the revelations. And most of it is. As someone who entertains delusions of WP administrative reforms (mental health professional are already at work on the problem) I think it'd be a shame if we didn't attempt to capitalize on this opportunity by making it more user friendly.

You make it and as long as no one thinks your summary is full of shite, I'll put it at the top of the relevant thread.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)