FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Many Russian editors blocked -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Many Russian editors blocked, Putnik's revenge
SkyBon

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 17,500

Mr Putnik (one of the Russian Wikipedia sysops) fails to get globalsysop status for many reasons (abused by indefblocking Lvova on Commons for "cross-wiki issues" for example) He becomes furious and urges his friend VasilievVV (15-year old young red guard) to deal with those who voted against him. He quickly accomplished that task blocking a multitude of Russian editors who voted against Putnik for "canvassing and meatpuppetry" behind their backs.

Discussion concerning this is here
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(SkyBon @ Tue 23rd March 2010, 11:49am) *

Mr Putnik (one of the Russian Wikipedia sysops) fails to get globalsysop status for many reasons (abused by indefblocking Lvova on Commons for "cross-wiki issues" for example) He becomes furious and urges his friend VasilievVV (15-year old young red guard) to deal with those who voted against him. He quickly accomplished that task blocking a multitude of Russian editors who voted against Putnik for "canvassing and meatpuppetry" behind their backs.

I first ran into you were complaining about an Ombudsman from the Russian Wiki. That was when I decided that the Russian language politics are dramafilled even more so than the English language politics. You are a major defender of SA ru. He has a long history of bringing problems to meta in an inappropriate way as seen on his user talk page.

If you want to be taken seriously, you have to get your people to stop with the personal attacks, be more reasonable, and not wage war on meta.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

The Russian Wikipedia sounds like it's run by the Russian Mafia. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 23rd March 2010, 9:42pm) *
The Russian Wikipedia sounds like it's run by the Russian Mafia. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
Most of the minor language projects are run by ironfisted dictators or all-controlling juntas; the Foundation simply doesn't care and since the English-language press largely ignores the non-English projects Jimmy never hears about any of it.
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

So were you actually canvassing? I notice that you haven't denied that.
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 23rd March 2010, 10:50pm) *

Most of the minor language projects are run by ironfisted dictators or all-controlling juntas; the Foundation simply doesn't care and since the English-language press largely ignores the non-English projects Jimmy never hears about any of it.

pretty much. For all the complaints about the English Wikipedia, the corruption really runs unchecked on some of the smaller wikis, where there are less active editors and less administrators.
+Quote Post
SkyBon

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Wed 24th March 2010, 6:50am) *

Not all canvassing is forbidden by policy. Friendly notices are allowed. My friendly notice exactly fitted the policy.

QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Wed 24th March 2010, 9:12am) *

pretty much. For all the complaints about the English Wikipedia, the corruption really runs unchecked on some of the smaller wikis, where there are less active editors and less administrators.

Russian Wiki is quite big (500k articles). Despite that a cartre-blanche has been given by WMF a lot of times. It really starts to look like to me that the only thing WMF wants to get is the fame and salary thanks to the crowd.

This post has been edited by SkyBon:
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(SkyBon @ Wed 24th March 2010, 7:12pm) *

QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Wed 24th March 2010, 9:12am) *

Russian Wiki is quite big (500k articles). Despite that a cartre-blanche has been given by WMF a lot of times. It really starts to look like to me that the only thing WMF wants to get is the fame and salary thanks to the crowd.

You catch on fast друг (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 24th March 2010, 2:50am) *

Or he choses to ignore it when it gets plastered on his talkpage.
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(SkyBon @ Wed 24th March 2010, 7:12pm) *

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Wed 24th March 2010, 6:50am) *

Not all canvassing is forbidden by policy. Friendly notices are allowed. My friendly notice exactly fitted the policy.

It is also meant to be neutral and not to a selected group. Your message was anything but.
+Quote Post
SkyBon

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Wed 24th March 2010, 11:20pm) *

It is also meant to be neutral and not to a selected group. Your message was anything but.

It was neutral and public (non-partisan). You can check its neutrality by using Google Translate.
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(SkyBon @ Wed 24th March 2010, 8:28pm) *

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Wed 24th March 2010, 11:20pm) *

It was neutral and public (non-partisan). You can check its neutrality by using Google Translate.

I already did so. The message was not neutral. While it may not have explicitly said "go vote oppose on this RfGS," it did preface it by saying "look at this awful thing that Jimbo pushed through" (which is false, by the way; I wrote this proposal and I don't believe that Jimbo ever commented) and "This other awful person passed, which I missed. However, we still have the opportunity to kill this other guy's request."

Plus, why did you feel the need to post this offsite, if not to canvass those you knew would agree with you?
+Quote Post
The Joy

If Greg, Jon, privatemusings, and Moulton went over to Russian Wikipedia, I'll bet Jimbo would care then. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 25th March 2010, 1:25am) *

If Greg, Jon, privatemusings, and Moulton went over to Russian Wikipedia, I'll bet Jimbo would care then. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

No, he'd just pretend that he cares, afterall the news media doesn't give a fuck about the Russkies
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Nope, speaking as someone who worked for a Russian-American joint company for 5 years, I can state with confidence that this is quite commonplace in Russian businesses and in Russian government. They really "get into the spirit". (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yak.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

(For example, the notorious recent case of a guy shooting himself in the head at a wedding. Warning: disturbing video.)

QUOTE(RMHED @ Wed 24th March 2010, 6:40pm) *
No, he'd just pretend that he cares, afterall the news media doesn't give a fuck about the Russkies

Heh. Maybe American media don't care.
People in Europe, now that's different.
They apparently now get most of their natural gas from Gazprom.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
The Joy

I can't remember if it was discussed here or on Wikipedia, but a few years ago, it was alleged that the Russian Wikipedia was controlled by Kremlin-based government agents. I think it was Russavia (T-C-L-K-R-D) who claimed that he was pushed out of the Russian WP by Pro-Putin editors.

The Eastern European Mailing List Arbitration Case involved individuals trying to coordinate against an alleged "Russian Cabal" on the English Wikipedia. I wonder if this has anything to do with what's going on the Russian WP?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 25th March 2010, 7:21am) *

The Eastern European Mailing List Arbitration Case involved individuals trying to coordinate against an alleged "Russian Cabal" on the English Wikipedia. I wonder if this has anything to do with what's going on the Russian WP?

Well, this little note on SkyBon's talk page makes it seem like they wanted to form a "banned from Russian Wikipedia Cabal", but who knows if that actually ever happened. There does seem to be a group of 5 or 6 of the same people who have joined together and operate at en.wiki, meta, and ru.wikiversity in regards to various wiki-political matters.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 25th March 2010, 2:21am) *

I can't remember if it was discussed here or on Wikipedia, but a few years ago, it was alleged that the Russian Wikipedia was controlled by Kremlin-based government agents. I think it was Russavia (T-C-L-K-R-D) who claimed that he was pushed out of the Russian WP by Pro-Putin editors.

It doesn't AFAIK. And Russavia's on the other side of the barricade, very strongly in the Pro-Putin camp - I don't even know if he's on ru wiki or not.

I don't really keep abreast of it anymore (actually never much did) but I've heard a number of stories of editors with a anti-Russian-government views being quickly ganged up on and driven out.

As for whether or not there is a Russian Putin cabal or not, take a peak at the current AE page and judge for yourself.

(edit - there's Russian editors on both sides of this issue so "Russian Cabal" is quite inappropriate")

This post has been edited by radek:
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 25th March 2010, 1:25am) *

Can I come too (strength in numbers and all)?
I'll be able to move through walls, floors and doors, though my Russian is a bit отграниченный.
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)
+Quote Post
Geo.plrd

Neophyte

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 23rd March 2010, 7:50pm) *

Wasn't there a complaint about the Portuguese WP awhile back?
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(Geo.plrd @ Sun 4th April 2010, 3:20am) *
Wasn't there a complaint about the Portuguese WP awhile back?
There has been a long-running dispute on the Portuguese projects over whether to consider Continental or Brazilian Portuguese "canonical" on the site. The vast majority of Portuguese speakers are, of course, Brazilian, but a slim majority of editors of the Wikimedia Portuguese projects are Portuguese. The two dialects have diverged enough to arguably qualify as different language; Brazilian Portuguese has extensive inclusions of Latin American Spanish in it and is probably more accurately described as a Spanish-Portuguese creole. While the two dialects are still largely intercomprehensible, there are differences in orthography and grammar and the anal-retentive assholes in both camps struggle gloriously to impose their preferred form over the entire project, with entirely predictable hilarity resulting. As always, there are undercurrents of racism, colonialism, and ethnic warfare in the dispute.

Wikimedia, of course, is profoundly Eurocentric in its attitudes and has persistently backed the Continentals, who are (as I noted earlier) the minority of speakers but the majority of editors. The only reason this hasn't completely boiled over is that it's over Portuguese, a language that most of the world simply doesn't care about.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)