FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Twink -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Twink
Neil

Awesome member

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 4,822

Can someone here, perhaps, explain to me why when a user adds an image of a person taken without permission from Flickr to Twink (gay slang) and I revert and block, I'M the bad guy?

This post has been edited by Neil:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
thekohser

It's pretty amazing to me (no, wait -- not "amazing", but rather "unsurprising for Wikipedia") that the [[twink (gay slang)]] article has been edited about 600 times; but compare the article about another slang term like [[Kludge]] has been edited only ~230 times, or [[Black sheep]] edited 203 times, or [[Pinko]] edited 112 times.
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 9:20am) *

It's pretty amazing to me (no, wait -- not "amazing", but rather "unsurprising for Wikipedia") that the [[twink (gay slang)]] article has been edited about 600 times; but compare the article about another slang term like [[Kludge]] has been edited only ~230 times, or [[Black sheep]] edited 203 times, or [[Pinko]] edited 112 times.

Why is that surprising? Due to the edit warring, or something else? Articles on homosexuality seem like they're more of a battlefield. Is that what you meant?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 12:29pm) *

Why is that surprising? Due to the edit warring, or something else? Articles on homosexuality seem like they're more of a battlefield. Is that what you meant?

Please note the word I used, versus the word you used.
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 10:22am) *

QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 12:29pm) *

Please note the word I used, versus the word you used.

I'm shrugging here. I just don't get why the edit counts on any of these raised any particular eyebrows in any way, shape or form.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 1:25pm) *

I'm shrugging here. I just don't get why the edit counts on any of these raised any particular eyebrows in any way, shape or form.

I guess it's just my Midwestern, early Generation X social mores shining through. You would think that slang terms that have a long and storied tradition in usage and literature (such as black sheep or pinko) would have garnered more attention and crafting and improvement from a "normal" editorial pool than a very recent, highly-specific term like "twink". Wikipedia doesn't have a "normal" editorial pool, though.

With Wikipedia, I am completely accustomed to it now. Toward the "latest", "buzzworthy" topics, the Wiki-masses gravitate with a magnitude difference in scale than to the "old", "tired" topics that we would normally expect from an encyclopedia.

Google tells me "black sheep" has over 8 million hits; "pinko" more than 6 million. These words came into use in the mid-1700's and the mid-1930's, respectively. "Twink" has nearly 14 million Google hits, but it's only existed for, what, 20 years? So, we see that both Google and Wikipedia have a bias toward recency and probably salaciousness, too. Meh.
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 12:01pm) *

I guess it's just my Midwestern, early Generation X social mores shining through. You would think that slang terms that have a long and storied tradition in usage and literature (such as black sheep or pinko) would have garnered more attention and crafting and improvement from a "normal" editorial pool than a very recent, highly-specific term like "twink". Wikipedia doesn't have a "normal" editorial pool, though.

A storied tradition in the mainstream literature of the time, sure. And what is a "normal" editorial pool?

Most if not half of the edits on this article are reverts any way for stupid bigotry like "REMOVED FAGGOT COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS, JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE GOING TO HELL DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE AN EXCUSE TO BREAK THE LAW" and other gay bashing.

With Wikipedia, I am completely accustomed to it now. Toward the "latest", "buzzworthy" topics, the Wiki-masses gravitate with a magnitude difference in scale than to the "old", "tired" topics that we would normally expect from an encyclopedia.

I wouldn't go so far as to call a 30 to 40+ year old phrase from a major minority group latest and buzzworthy. It's not like it came from some place like E! or Idol. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Google tells me "black sheep" has over 8 million hits; "pinko" more than 6 million. These words came into use in the mid-1700's and the mid-1930's, respectively. "Twink" has nearly 14 million Google hits, but it's only existed for, what, 20 years? So, we see that both Google and Wikipedia have a bias toward recency and probably salaciousness, too. Meh.

There's nothing in any way salacious about a topic like "Twink". It's simply what it is, a term used to describe young, skinny gay men without a ton of body hair. It's no different than any number of terms used to describe straight people based on their physical assets. It's no different than something like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenhawk_(sexuality)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_(slang)#Slang_terms
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/MILF

Or anything similar.

As far as "recency", from asking around just now in the local gay community, it appears that this phrase has been in common usage since at a minimum the 1970s, and myself and others recall at least passing references to it in older fiction.

I guess part of this may be just culture, like you alluded to... midwestern or otherwise. I grew up outside NYC, have had gay and trans friends all my life, and now life in one of the cities with one of the largest LGBT populations in the country. I do a double take when I see a big wheel truck go by, but don't even notice a flagrantly gay man walking by me. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 23rd June 2008, 7:55pm) *

It's no different than any number of terms used to describe straight people based on their physical assets. It's no different than something like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenhawk_(sexuality)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_(slang)#Slang_terms
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/MILF

Or anything similar.

All of which should be deleted. Articles about "terms" are a plague on the project. Aren't they prohibited anyhow by WP:NOT? Ah, but "consensus"…a consensus of the people who hang around such articles to begin with.

With political topics, they are invariably platforms to make a point. "Islamofascism!" "Islamophobia!" "Israeli Apartheid!" starting with the title itself.

With these other ones, I don't know how to categorize it…exhibitionism? Let us demonstrate how queer-positive we think society should be by loading Wikipedia with this kind of thing. Then when anyone complains, pop up on AN like this Duncan Hill fellow and pretend others are "homophobic" for suggesting that there's anything disreputable about the word/concept "twink" or that average people wouldn't be offended to be called a "twink."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...ck_by_User:Neil

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Neil   Twink  
thekohser   Can someone here, perhaps, explain to me why when...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='Neil' post='108970' date='Mon 23rd J...  
Cobalt   Another prime example of why WP must survive, and ...  
Jon Awbrey   A compundium of pop culture, not to mention subpop...  
Sceptre   Short answer? It's AnotherSolipist. One of the...  
Kelly Martin   Fundamentally, the problem is that Wikipedians ten...  
the fieryangel   Of course, these changes will never occur; in par...  
Rootology   The issue is control over the article and hence c...  
the fieryangel   Same as if us straights had a lingo subculture, t...  
Rootology   Yes, but isn't that kind of like "origin...  
the fieryangel   Yes, but isn't that kind of like "origi...  
Rootology   It is absurd, but the NPOV policy says exactly th...  
the fieryangel   I think our wires just crossed here. Your comment...  
Rootology   Until this happens, we're stuck with stuff li...  
Kelly Martin   It is absurd, but the NPOV policy says exactly th...  
Firsfron of Ronchester   I suppose some people must enjoy that game, but I...  
Kelly Martin   I suppose some people must enjoy that game, but ...  
Proabivouac   The only thing that made Wikipedia fun for me whi...  
the fieryangel   [quote name='the fieryangel' post='109050' date='...  
Kelly Martin   I don't think that it occurs to most people t...  
the fieryangel   Back to the original issue of "Twink", t...  
Moulton   Word of the Day Wikipedia's policies, if slav...  
the fieryangel   I don't think that it occurs to most people ...  
Moulton   What structural changes in policy (if any) could h...  
Kelly Martin   If what you're saying is true (and since you ...  
Poetlister   Fundamentally, the problem is that Wikipedians te...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Fundamentally, the problem is that Wikipedians te...  
Moulton   I if understand your PoV, TFA, Wikipedia's dom...  
Kelly Martin   I if understand your PoV, TFA, Wikipedia's do...  
Rootology   For an additional example, I ended up chatting wit...  
sarcasticidealist   Am I excluded from working on their article anymor...  
the fieryangel   [quote name='Rootology' post='109053' date='Mon 2...  
sarcasticidealist   In other words, you got away with it because you d...  
Moulton   Come on, Somey? Have you ever actually, [i]like, ...  
Milton Roe   Come on, Somey? Have you ever actually, [i]like,...  
Somey   Before this gets too far off-topic, has anyone sto...  
dtobias   Kelly both has a good point and is making a straw ...  
sarcasticidealist   Yes, it's true that if all the rules of Wikipe...  
Kelly Martin   Kelly both has a good point and is making a straw...  
the fieryangel   The irony of the troika of "NPOV", ...  
prospero   I don't see what all the fuss is about, that i...  
Kelly Martin   Unfortunately for the hand wringers, there are no...  
prospero   Unfortunately for the hand wringers, there are n...  
sarcasticidealist   That's interesting, thanks for that informatio...  
Jon Awbrey   Wikipedia's fundamental problem is that it...  
Rootology   The whole point of the free software/information m...  
the fieryangel   The whole point of the licensing is to make it l...  
Rootology   Yes, I understand that point. But why should a c...  
the fieryangel   The whole point of the licensing is to make it le...  
prospero   You are going to run up against a brick wall by th...  
sarcasticidealist   Mainly, is it fair that some have pictures and oth...  
prospero   Mainly, is it fair that some have pictures and ot...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: