FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
More fine proof of FT2's distinctive form of brain damage -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More fine proof of FT2's distinctive form of brain damage
EricBarbour

blah

Group: Regulars

Not here to build an encyclopedia

Authored almost entirely by our little lad. Includes some amazing howlers.

He defines "lulz" for us:
"lulz" (amusement at destructiveness)

And here's one that FT2 himself has violated repeatedly:
Inconsistent long-term agenda - Users who, based on substantial Wikipedia-related evidence, seem to want editing rights only in order to legitimize a soapbox or other personal stance (ie engage in some basic editing not so much to "build an encyclopedia", as to be able to assert a claim to be a "productive editor"..... whereas in fact by their own words or actions their true longer term motive is more likely to be "not here to build an encyclopedia").

Feel free to poke more holes in his "logic".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 11,945

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 2:11am) *

Not here to build an encyclopedia

Authored almost entirely by our little lad. Includes some amazing howlers.

He defines "lulz" for us:
"lulz" (amusement at destructiveness)

Inconsistent long-term agenda - Users who, based on substantial Wikipedia-related evidence, seem to want editing rights only in order to legitimize a soapbox or other personal stance (ie engage in some basic editing not so much to "build an encyclopedia", as to be able to assert a claim to be a "productive editor"..... whereas in fact by their own words or actions their true longer term motive is more likely to be "not here to build an encyclopedia").

I can think of many such editors: DougsTech, Peter Damian, Aitias just off the top of my head...
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 1:11am) *

You'd have to force yourself to read it first. Anyone else go blank when trying to read this mush?

But since Eric asked ... running it through the FT2 to English translator; 'doesn't matter if one's behavior is that of a productive editor if FT2 decides otherwise'.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

These kinds of things pop up from time to time - it's usually based on frustration, the reaction to which is to make an attempt to codify and formalize Wikipedia's disrespect, disdain, and general disregard for its victims. ("Victims" being people who attempt to defend themselves and their interests on Wikipedia itself, from Wikipedians using the site as a revenge platform or "defamation machine.")

Mind you, it's not that I dislike Mr. FT2 personally. He's simply bought into the "vision," hook line and sinker, and he's probably too far gone at this point to come back from the abyss. But like I often say, I'm sure he's a fairly nice guy if you meet him in person.
+Quote Post
Lifebaka

Group: Contributors

Not sure why it's labeled as a proposed guideline. I've suggested it be tagged as an essay, which it most clearly is. It'll avoid the hideous prospect of attempting to force people to take it seriously.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Lifebaka @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 10:57pm) *
I've suggested it be tagged as an essay, which it most clearly is. It'll avoid the hideous prospect of attempting to force people to take it seriously.

Good idea! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I've actually been getting the impression that Mr. FT2 has been going through a few "ups and downs" lately. Nothing concrete of course, but some of his recent actions suggest a strong potential for burnout that he apparently isn't admitting to himself.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Sadder Budweiser

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 11:28pm) *
It's usually based on frustration, the reaction to which is to make an attempt to codify and formalize Wikipedia's disrespect, disdain, and general disregard for its victims.

Yes. Mutual and reciprocal disdain, disregard, and disrespect are defining features of pathological relationships arising out of WikiCulture (which reflects human culture at large).

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 11:28pm) *
He's simply bought into the "vision," hook line and sinker, and he's probably too far gone at this point to come back from the abyss.

The probability of epiphany and redemption is low, both in the real world and in WikiCulture.

What Wikipedia lacks is Obama-style beer summits.

Henry Louis Gates said that Sgt. Crowley is an engaging chap when he's not arresting someone.

I suppose many Wikipedians are really nice people when they are not acting like Wikipedians.
+Quote Post
Lifebaka

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 12:10am) *

QUOTE(Lifebaka @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 10:57pm) *
I've suggested it be tagged as an essay, which it most clearly is. It'll avoid the hideous prospect of attempting to force people to take it seriously.

Good idea! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I've actually been getting the impression that Mr. FT2 has been going through a few "ups and downs" lately. Nothing concrete of course, but some of his recent actions suggest a strong potential for burnout that he apparently isn't admitting to himself.

Guy just needs a nice does of not giving a fuck. Does wonders for the lower bowels.
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 4:28am) *

I'm sure he's a fairly nice guy if you meet him in person.

Thats a weird way to judge people. I expect Hitler Stalin and Pol Pot were too.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Jack Nicholson is also a nice guy when he is not in costume as the villain.

Wikipedia has morphed from an encyclopedia project to a dramaturgy workshop. The actors there are probably a lot like many actors who can convincingly portray a psychopath when on the theatrical stage.

Then again, I suppose some of them really are nutcases in real life, too.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 12:10am) *

Jack Nicholson is also a nice guy when he is not in costume as the villain.

{{cite}}

I seem to remember something about a coked-up Nicholson bashing somebody's windshield out with a golf club.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

I suppose even nice guys have bad days.
+Quote Post
written by he who wrote it

Commie Mutant Traitor

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 3:10am) *

You'd have to force yourself to read it first. Anyone else go blank when trying to read this mush?

But since Eric asked ... running it through the FT2 to English translator; 'doesn't matter if one's behavior is that of a productive editor if FT2 decides otherwise'.

To be fair, such usage precedes him. I'm sure there are more and earlier examples, but that one is by far the best.

*edit* Oh looky, someone already deleted that line. (Props to CHL for remembering it, though.)

This post has been edited by written by he who wrote it:
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(written by he who wrote it @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 11:38pm) *

*edit* Oh looky, someone already deleted that line. (Props to CHL for remembering it, though.)

Yeah, the expression is damaged goods to my ears. There can't be a much bigger misuse of the concept than that, and I don't see much use in rehabilitating it as a catch-all. I won't sign anything that treats it as more than an essay.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

"Focusing on Wikipedia as a social networking site"? But that's at least half the administrative corps right there!

Of course, the reality is that "Not here to build an encyclopedia" is a dogwhistle phrase used by the Cabal to mean "This individual is outcast and may be treated in any way you find amusing without fear of reprisal". Such typical Gerardism.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 8:10pm) *

You cannot translate FT2. All you can do is be amazed at the act (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) and wonder "what's with the shoe...?"

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/PigShoe.gif)
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

No, entirely untrue. I have been 'building the encyclopedia' consistently even through this mess. E.g. this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pet...Excluded_Middle

are notes for substantial additions to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Excluded_Middle

which is one of the three fundamental logical principles. The existing article is a mess. I was also planning changes to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_bivalence

which contains substantial factual errors. Note also the red links in the draft above. Wikipedia has no article on 'schematic variable' which is a fundamental concept in mathematical logic, and no article about the 'infinite term' which is an important idea in Aristotelian logic. Nor on the distinction between sentential negation and predicate negation.

How is this not 'building an encyclopedia'? How does banning me for some dissent (not 'disruption') help?
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(sbrown @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 1:53am) *

Naah - those guys were all complete assholes. So was Mussolini, in fact...

I find it's usually best not to try to compare prominent Wikipedians with evil genocidal tyrants from 20th century history - people might get the idea that we've lost our sense of perspective. Besides, guys like Hitler and Stalin would never have had the patience to become WP admins - though they might have asked for "rollbacker" rights at some point, if only to make the edit-warring a little easier.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 4th August 2009, 5:50am) *

QUOTE(sbrown @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 1:53am) *

Naah - those guys were all complete assholes. So was Mussolini, in fact...

I find it's usually best not to try to compare prominent Wikipedians with evil genocidal tyrants from 20th century history - people might get the idea that we've lost our sense of perspective. Besides, guys like Hitler and Stalin would never have had the patience to become WP admins - though they might have asked for "rollbacker" rights at some point, if only to make the edit-warring a little easier.

I've been around my share of machievellian overachievers, especially during my time in the military, and I can tell you, that they were not "fairly nice people". One only needed to observe or interact with them for a short while to see that while they were undoubtedly above average in intelligence and usually polite and superficially cordial, they were also capable of throwing anyone to the wolves without a second thought if it suited their agenda to do so (of course, I'm not saying that I knew anyone who was as sociopathic as Stalin or Pol Pot). As Somey says, there probably aren't too many of these people involved to any great extent with Wikipedia, because they're more likely focused on much bigger and better things.

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 8:35pm) *
"Not here to build an encyclopedia" is a dogwhistle phrase used by the Cabal to mean "This individual is outcast and may be treated in any way you find amusing without fear of reprisal".

More to the point, it's a specious theory of mind that purports to characterize the intentions of another person. In that regard, it's not only original research unsupported by the scientific method, it's almost surely a false theory of mind.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)