FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The Final Word on Gary Weiss and Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Final Word on Gary Weiss and Wikipedia
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

It's finally time to publish the long awaited emails, starting with the two that prove beyond all doubt that Gary Weiss was indeed Mantanmoreland all along.

I know that presenting these several months ago would have (possibly) made the whole Mantanmoreland RfAr process a little easier, but for several reasons, I opted against it.

I hope you understand.

antisocialmedia.net/?p=130

(though not relating directly to Wikipedia, many more fascinating Weiss emails will be published soon. Watch this space for more).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

Well, that would seem to confirm what we all knew (though there is no inherent proof that will prevent some WP idiot from screaming "forgery").

What I am very curious about is -- what was the compelling reason to wait all this time to release these? They seem straightforward proof of his malfeasance. What was so confidential that you needed to wait 6 months after the fact?
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 13th July 2008, 9:12pm) *

Well, that would seem to confirm what we all knew (though there is no inherent proof that will prevent some WP idiot from screaming "forgery").

What I am very curious about is -- what was the compelling reason to wait all this time to release these? They seem straightforward proof of his malfeasance. What was so confidential that you needed to wait 6 months after the fact?
More than six months...I've had them since April of 2007.

I waited primarily because of a commitment I'd made to the man who handed the emails over to me. He asked me to wait. And while painful to do so, that's what I did.
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr...ns/70.23.85.112

Sigh. All that fighting, and for what?
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Rootology @ Sun 13th July 2008, 9:23pm) *
I suspect another email (to be published tonight or tomorrow) will answer that question.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

You know, what gets me, is during all the hubbub on WP about how mantanmoreland and his self-talking socks, and the admins who supported him to his wikideath and even now, is all the claims they made of stalking, harassment, jihads, smear campaigns, and worse ...one "Crum375" called me - well. my stupid account name on WP at least lol) a rapist, others with some sort of bizarre, anonymous Wikipedia Clout called Bagley (by real name) a crazed stalker, Byrne (real name) a crazed scammer and worse.....is that none of those WP'ians had any of that actually happening to them...but crying wolf worked really good the first time, so they kept on doing it.

Meanwhile Wordbomb has been dealing with a situation, as Mark Mitchell and Byrne have found out first-hand, involves people who kill other people for a living, for some very rich people, to protect billions in profits. The kind of racket that Gary has purported himself to have made a career of "investigating". Oh the irony, yuk yuk yuk. That's what makes me the most sad about Gary. Supposedly a journalist. I used to hold NBA referrees, ordained ministers, and New York governors in high regard too. Sigh.

I don't know, but I'm going to take a wild guess that Wordbomb has actually been "harassed" and "stalked" in real life for what he's been exposing. Not just words one can throw around on WP to get your editing enemies banned, but actual acts of it.

So what was "Floyd"'s Wikipedia account I wonder. Thanks for posting the evidence as you promised was true earlier this year, and probably started, via WR readership, the WP community towards rectifying the Mantanmoreland situation regardless of what a few badmin apples were trying to hide.

Emails you've had since April 2007? Wow. The self-control to not use that on WP to stop the on-WP slandering of you is amazing. I'd have posted them to Jimbo's talk page immediately if I were called, by real name, the things you were.

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 14th July 2008, 3:23am) *

to play gary's advocate, during the the week that IP was editng NSS, and he started posting as MM, and emailing his shady friend floyd (read ASM, ohmygod), the NSS article was a steaming pile of unsourced crap.

Reading through it, that article in 2006 was 2 wrong sides making a wrong. Gary had a couple of agendas (his book promotion, plus something possibly more sinister), and enough WP:RS's (partial, selective quoting from the SEC) to twist the truths with.....against a slew of IP address editors and green accounts that just had no idea what WP is supposed to be about, and were easy to get banned for WP rule infractions, often provoked ones....it's not the "truth", its what your WP:RS sources say...lol....you make your own fiction, to quote one of his buds, and he produced his own RS's on the matter - himself and his longtime colleagues that put in editorial page soundbites for him.

It was a good gig until Bloomberg reporters, the SEC Chairman, Vanity Fair, and others took notice and did some actual investigation.
+Quote Post
Aloft

Please stop trying to cause trouble!

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sun 13th July 2008, 10:07pm) *
It's finally time to publish the long awaited emails
Do you also have a load of emails from the infamous wp-cyberstalking list, or am I misremembering?
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Well, this certainly seals it, although I can't imagine anyone out there still had reasonable doubt about it. Surely even his devoted defenders came to realize at some point that he was Weiss (perhaps he told some of them himself).

I'm wondering, Judd: do you think he's still editing Wikipedia now? Or could it be that he's finally given up?
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

wow, check this out:

http://antisocialmedia.net/?p=132

it's about an email involving gary keeping Liz Moyer from getting a job at BusinessWeek.

Ironically, I cited Moyer several times on the NSS article.
I wonder if that made him flinch a bit. I believe they are both employed by the same magazine now, although I haven't seen any evidence lately that Gary actually does any work for them.

...and holy cow, we now have a new word for "sockpuppets" thanks to gary...."gnomes"

http://antisocialmedia.net/?p=131

One of those gnomes wrote on a Yahoo forum about Patrick Byrne's testicles, oddly. I think I posted that message here last fall. While Mrs Slocombe was very concern about the well-being of her pussy, Mr Weiss was very concerned about the number of testicles Patrick Byrne has. Go figure.

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 13th July 2008, 10:37pm) *

Do you also have a load of emails from the infamous wp-cyberstalking list, or am I misremembering?
I was given many of the emails from that group, but by a different individuals, whose identities I'm committed to protect, also until told otherwise.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors

Permit me to be cynical, but are you now releasing certain emails because it's helpful to your lawsuit? I assume that's why you sat on them so long in the first place--as a bargaining chip for settlement for those who might be embarrassed by their contents. Not Gary, but others, perhaps.

In any case, good luck, I think. You've always been illuminating.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(One @ Sun 13th July 2008, 11:01pm) *

Permit me to be cynical, but are you now releasing certain emails because it's helpful to your lawsuit? I assume that's why you sat on them so long in the first place--as a bargaining chip for settlement for those who might be embarrassed by their contents. Not Gary, but others, perhaps.

Fair question, but the answer is no. I'd have published these emails the day I got them had the giver given me permission to do so.

QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 13th July 2008, 10:40pm) *

Well, this certainly seals it, although I can't imagine anyone out there still had reasonable doubt about it. Surely even his devoted defenders came to realize at some point that he was Weiss (perhaps he told some of them himself).

I'm wondering, Judd: do you think he's still editing Wikipedia now? Or could it be that he's finally given up?
I'd bet my meager life-savings that he's back editing.

Like a bacteria given a partial dose of antibiotic, each time he was allowed to survive, he learned how to do it better the next time.

And like bacteria, Weiss does what he does because he is compelled to.
+Quote Post
Aloft

Please stop trying to cause trouble!

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 14th July 2008, 12:00am) *
I was given many of the emails from that group, but by a different individual, whose identity I'm committed to protect, also until he says otherwise.
I doubt many people on here are concerned with the leaker's identity, although I'm sure Slim & Co. would love to know. I'm just wondering if we are going to get a look at those emails as well.

This post has been edited by Aloft:
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 13th July 2008, 9:37pm) *

For the record, seeing as it's being mentioned below, I have never leaked anything from that list, other than posting my resignation message on my talk page. SV repeatedly accused me of doing so, however. She was wrong but never did concede that.

Now, I will say this, though; both Mantanmoreland and Samiharris were members of that list, both happily chatting away. This makes me wonder exactly who was taken for a ride here (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
SirFozzie

Ãœber Member

Wonder if we'll see this link on ASM any time soon

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/business...Fn84jphuLuBZSZQ

SEC says "Quit it with the Short/Distort"
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(One @ Mon 14th July 2008, 3:01pm) *

Background on this lawsuit.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sun 13th July 2008, 11:07pm) *

It's finally time to publish the long awaited emails, starting with the two that prove beyond all doubt that Gary Weiss was indeed Mantanmoreland all along.

I know that presenting these several months ago would have (possibly) made the whole Mantanmoreland RfAr process a little easier, but for several reasons, I opted against it.

I hope you understand.

(though not relating directly to Wikipedia, many more fascinating Weiss emails will be published soon. Watch this space for more).

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but technically, those e-mails from Gary Weiss never say that he edited Wikipedia. He danced around it, with "You just go into edit mode..." and "I may insert a reference...". But he never expressly said that he edited Wikipedia.

(I'm not an apologist for Weiss, and I consider Judd Bagley a friendly acquaintance, so... you know I'm just pointing it out, that everyone should read carefully.)

Greg
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 14th July 2008, 1:40pm) *

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sun 13th July 2008, 11:07pm) *

I hope you understand.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but technically, those e-mails from Gary Weiss never say that he edited Wikipedia. He danced around it, with "You just go into edit mode..." and "I may insert a reference...". But he never expressly said that he edited Wikipedia.

(I'm not an apologist for Weiss, and I consider Judd Bagley a friendly acquaintance, so... you know I'm just pointing it out, that everyone should read carefully.)

Greg

then you missed the IP header in the email and the IP editor on WP that day/week.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

It's a Pisser

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Mon 14th July 2008, 9:49am) *
Then you missed the IP header in the email and the IP editor on WP that day/week.

Don't rely on Brian Bergstein here, Greg. Sometimes you gotta get your news straight from UP and IP.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)